Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 10:08   #4786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

How many of y'all are using the XUV5OO MAHINDRA BLUE SENSE App?

The Android Version : https://t.co/IfmpDxl1HE
The iOS Version : appsto.re/in/o9pLG.i
Old 10th September 2013, 11:02   #4787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

How old is your car and how many KMs on the ODO?
If the vehicle is relatively new with moderate reading on the ODO, please ask for a replacement under warranty.*

The brake-pads worn out message could also be because of the sensor-wire (a small thin yellow wire) getting cut. Please get it checked.

The Galfer brake-pads cost around 2800-2900 Rs for a pair (Mar-2013 data).
@SDP - Gave the XUV @ Mahindra Authorized service center in Mangalore (Karnataka Agencies).

Service Executive confirmed that Brake Pad is worn out and need to be replaced. He quoted 4500Rs for new Brake Pad. No choice but to say "Yes"...

I wonder how the price doubled (increased by 100%) in 6 months!
Old 10th September 2013, 11:19   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post

@SDP - Gave the XUV @ Mahindra Authorized service center in Mangalore (Karnataka Agencies).

Service Executive confirmed that Brake Pad is worn out and need to be replaced. He quoted 4500Rs for new Brake Pad. No choice but to say "Yes"...

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-image1209771763.jpg

The above was the box from which my brake pads were taken. I guess the price quoted to you are indeed correct.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 14:52   #4789
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
How many of y'all are using the XUV5OO MAHINDRA BLUE SENSE App?

The Android Version : https://t.co/IfmpDxl1HE
The iOS Version : appsto.re/in/o9pLG.i
I do. Its quite neat. It gives me tyre-pressure (and temperature) readings which are quite accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
The above was the box from which my brake pads were taken. I guess the price quoted to you are indeed correct.
I mentioned the 2800-2900Rs number after referring to the pre-invoice that I had received at that point of time. Let me verify if we are actually talking about the same part-number.

PS: 4500Rs is steep if the brake-pads last just a year. Do brake-pads from other comparable cars need replacement in 1 year/20K-25K kms?

EDIT: Checked the pre-invoice. Its the exact same part number and the price was mentioned as 2822Rs in Mar'2013. That's quite a steep price-hike in less than 6 months. Is this specific to a few parts or across the board?

Last edited by SDP : 10th September 2013 at 15:02.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 18:03   #4790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I mentioned the 2800-2900Rs number after referring to the pre-invoice that I had received at that point of time. Let me verify if we are actually talking about the same part-number.

PS: 4500Rs is steep if the brake-pads last just a year. Do brake-pads from other comparable cars need replacement in 1 year/20K-25K kms?

EDIT: Checked the pre-invoice. Its the exact same part number and the price was mentioned as 2822Rs in Mar'2013. That's quite a steep price-hike in less than 6 months. Is this specific to a few parts or across the board?
Just got the vehicle back. Below is the spread of the cost

Break Pad - 3852Rs
Consumable - 75Rs
Waster - 12Rs
Labor - 140Rs
Vat @ 14.5% - 572Rs

Total - 4668Rs
rave20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 18:18   #4791
Team-BHP Support

Are the Galfers very fast wearing brake pads? I hope I dont realize that to my loss. They just a month back replaced my pads from Bosch Nth gen (whatever the last one was) to Galfers although i said specifically that I dont need a pad change but wanted the newer design of the brake lever for a better bite. The Bosch one was pretty good in my opinion.

Also, this newer design of the brake pedal lever, has anyone got that installed? Did that make a difference? I don't seem to notice any better bite in the brakes post the change of this new brake pedal lever. My brakes are still the same wishy washy thing as it was earlier. Any serious braking at high speeds still requires me to lift my right foot from the floor and stamp on the brakes. That works much faster, just as it used to do anyhow even before they changed the brake pedal lever!
Old 10th September 2013, 18:41   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Are the Galfers very fast wearing brake pads? I hope I dont realize that to my loss. They just a month back replaced my pads from Bosch Nth gen (whatever the last one was) to Galfers although i said specifically that I dont need a pad change but wanted the newer design of the brake lever for a better bite. The Bosch one was pretty good in my opinion.

Also, this newer design of the brake pedal lever, has anyone got that installed? Did that make a difference? I don't seem to notice any better bite in the brakes post the change of this new brake pedal lever. My brakes are still the same wishy washy thing as it was earlier. Any serious braking at high speeds still requires me to lift my right foot from the floor and stamp on the brakes. That works much faster, just as it used to do anyhow even before they changed the brake pedal lever!
I did and SDP too. We both agree that there was a significant change in the braking with this new pedal. The bite starts the moment you touch the pedals. Did they actually change the pedal in your vehicle? Could be possible dont you think.

Having said that, i still feel that in emergency or hard braking, it takes some effort to stop this beast. Could be SUV effect maybe.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 20:15   #4793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I did and SDP too. We both agree that there was a significant change in the braking with this new pedal. The bite starts the moment you touch the pedals. Did they actually change the pedal in your vehicle? Could be possible dont you think.

Having said that, i still feel that in emergency or hard braking, it takes some effort to stop this beast. Could be SUV effect maybe.
Strange! I know they changed the lever. They ordered it for me and then called me once it arrived. I was out on business and could only turn up after a week (with appointment). So they changed it and that happened in front of my eyes.

Now, I can think of two reasons for how I feel after this change happened

1. My brakes were always better than what most felt. This is possible considering that when everyone said brakes are absolutely useless I merely felt that the brakes start to bite in a wee bit late but are otherwise good. So the new lever did not gain anything over and above that.

2. They changed the lever but then it was not the new design at all. But then again, what are the chances that they will send in the old design after all these months? I will assume that all the new levers are based on the new design and unless they sent one from the old stock I can't really think of anything better!

I don't know what is the way out here!!!
Old 10th September 2013, 21:08   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I merely felt that the brakes start to bite in a wee bit late but are otherwise good. So the new lever did not gain anything over and above that.
This is exactly why pedal needs to be changed. Everyone reported (including me) that the bite happens little late than usual, hence this replacement happened.

Now i get this feeling that they might have just used an old pedal. Reason, they might have ordered a new pedal for you, however since you were out for a week, some other RM took that pedal and used it in someone else XUV. Since your RM had committed it to you, hence he had to do something when you showed up. So what he did?? Simply add a old pedal with new brake pads.

Reason for saying this, my RM had kept silver box for me, but due to urgent family issue, he had to take leave for few days. So when he returned, he came to know someother RM had used that silverbox on his customer's XUV, hence i had to wait again

Anyways, i could be wrong
Old 10th September 2013, 21:22   #4795
BHPian

Quote:

This is exactly why pedal needs to be changed. Everyone reported (including me) that the bite happens little late than usual, hence this replacement happened.

Now i get this feeling that they might have just used an old pedal. Reason, they might have ordered a new pedal for you, however since you were out for a week, some other RM took that pedal and used it in someone else XUV. Since your RM had committed it to you, hence he had to do something when you showed up. So what he did?? Simply add a old pedal with new brake pads.

Reason for saying this, my RM had kept silver box for me, but due to urgent family issue, he had to take leave for few days. So when he returned, he came to know someother RM had used that silverbox on his customer's XUV, hence i had to wait again

Anyways, i could be wrong
Is it possible to figure out if it is of old or new design? As per my RM, I already have latest design of brake pedal. Mine is nov 2012 xuv.
Old 10th September 2013, 22:23   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happens with all dealerships and all the time. I had similar experience at a Hyundai dealership. The part ordered for me was given to another customer, and had to wait again.
Old 11th September 2013, 12:56   #4797
Team-BHP Support

The problem is how do you know whether you have the new pedal! I hope the part numbers are different. Does anyone know what is the new part number for these pedal levers?

By the by, changing these levers is such a chore that I shudder to think what will happen if one has to once again undergo that torture! I spent the whole day in the A$$ to get this done. They took at least 4-5 hours to do this. Two guys struggled in the footwell of my vehicle to tear apart the dash and the steering column besides those impossible to reach locations where the bolts are fitted to first remove and then again put back the new pedal. And at the end of this ordeal I do not find any perceptible change in the braking behavior. At low speeds it works fine (hey, it used to do that even before the change) but at high speeds I still need to lift my foot and stamp on the pedal for a quick deceleration.

And the icing on the cake is my car came back with 2 issues from the two visits to the A$$. The car went for a service (20K) but the pedal was not available. So it went back again for the pedal change. In the bargain it now has 2 new problems.

1. The steering wheel is now not center aligned and on high speeds the car starts pulling to the right. This possibly got added with all that taking on and off of the steering column and whatever else they struggled with that day

2. The cold start is now extremely choppy. And the choppiness is only increasing with time. Today for the first time I not only felt it as I have been for the last so many days but even saw the RPM needle shiver for a while like a Malaria patient before it settled down. So whatever the problem is it is seemingly increasing in magnitude.

How I hate these guys. My car did not have any major issues till date (other than the failed PS at the beginning) but one service and now I am staring at a new unknown!

Last edited by Zappo : 11th September 2013 at 12:58.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 21:15   #4798
BHPian

Is there any news from Mahindra on whether the v2 XUV500 (improved brakes, build quality, etc as posted in the ACI article mentioned in this thread earlier) is available yet?

I checked with India Garage in Bangalore and the sales exec said that the improved XUV has been in production since the last 3 months. Considering that the ACI article is dated 20th August, I wasn't sure if this was actually so.

I am on the verge of booking a W8 AWD in Dolphin Grey and wanted to make sure that I get the updated version, even if it means that I need to wait for a couple of weeks.

Also, would XUV owners in Bangalore recommend any dealer in particular? And what are some of the freebies/discounts I should try to negotiate for?

For the record, I was earlier bent upon getting a diesel automatic and had set my heart on a soon-to-be-obsolete Skoda Laura TDI DSG, hoping for good discounts. Sadly I wasn't getting a colour of my choice (the Laura TDI DSG is now "sold out" finally), and then Skoda India's horror stories accompanied by the rapid disintegration of Bangalore's roads made me reconsider.

I need a diesel vehicle that is rugged, sturdy, powerful, safe, value-for-money, and fun to drive, and hence arrived at the XUV. I am also looking for decent A$$ as I wouldn't want to be left in the lurch on a lonely hilltop.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:21   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
I need a diesel vehicle that is rugged, sturdy, powerful, safe, value-for-money, and fun to drive, and hence arrived at the XUV. I am also looking for decent A$$ as I wouldn't want to be left in the lurch on a lonely hilltop.
JAYAWANT, if this is your requirement, my advice is that you go for it.
1. Compared to the initial batches, significant improvements have been made. Mine is Nov 12 born and after 10K kms, I can say that mine has been a niggle free existence.
2. Regarding the improvements made in the vehicle and reported in ACI, suggest you talk to Mr Kannan at 9591096326. He's the Area Sales Manager of M&M in Bangalore.
3. Best A$$, I can't help you except to point you towards the many Bangaloreans who own XUVs like Hot Chilly Pepper, Funda Genie etc. You can PM them and establish contact.
4. Regarding getting stuck on a hilltop. I was stuck in the sands of Agonda Beach (my fault) and the dealer was 60 kms away in Madgaon. It took a while but they winched the vehicle out, repaired it, all in decent time, so I could drive back to Manipal.

Hope this helps. Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited by Heavy Horse : 14th September 2013 at 10:23.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 10:57   #4800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
JAYAWANT, if this is your requirement, my advice is that you go for it.
Thanks, Heavy Horse, and great job on deciphering my name!

I just spoke with Mr Kannan - he said that the improved XUV is in fact available now. Thanks for your advice - I will also reach out to BLR's XUV-worshipping BHPians.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks