Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 14:46   #6361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

A query to all current owners of XUV,

Have you found a comfortable driving position with the steering not being to far away but at the same time the clutch being easily usable? Test drove the vehicle today and I just could not find a comfortable position. If I got the clutch position right so that my legs don't ache the steering position was not right.

Also I find that the instrument cluster is set a little too high. opinions?

Inputs will be greatly appreciated..

-JB-
Old 12th August 2014, 16:10   #6362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
A query to all current owners of XUV,

Have you found a comfortable driving position with the steering not being to far away but at the same time the clutch being easily usable? Test drove the vehicle today and I just could not find a comfortable position. If I got the clutch position right so that my legs don't ache the steering position was not right.

Also I find that the instrument cluster is set a little too high. opinions?

Inputs will be greatly appreciated..

-JB-
It depends on how tall you are. I am 6' 1" tall and I have found an extremely comfortable driving position. So much so, that I am always very strongly telling all those valet parking attendants not to change the seat position! They usually move to suit them and then when you get the car back...

You have to experiment a bit with various combinations of seat location / height and steering position (tilt and rake) until you find one you are most comfortable with. There is no one single setting for all users, simply because of individual heights.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 16:25   #6363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you found a comfortable driving position with the steering not being to far away but at the same time the clutch being easily usable?
Even I faced the issue during test drive and first couple of days.

The reason is mostly test drive vehicle and demo vehicle has seat height adjustment set to maximum and the steering is tilt adjusted low. With this set up if you set forward your knee will hit the steering, if you move it back you wont reach the the pedals.

What worked for me is to tilt the steering upwards, this will give correct visibility of dials too. Move the seat down by couple of steps and then adjust it forward or backwards based on your pedal reach.

This worked for me.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 17:37   #6364
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Even I faced the issue during test drive and first couple of days.

The reason is mostly test drive vehicle and demo vehicle has seat height adjustment set to maximum and the steering is tilt adjusted low. With this set up if you set forward your knee will hit the steering, if you move it back you wont reach the the pedals.

What worked for me is to tilt the steering upwards, this will give correct visibility of dials too. Move the seat down by couple of steps and then adjust it forward or backwards based on your pedal reach.

This worked for me.
Even after 2 years, I have not found a combination of seat (distance from pedals), seat-Back, seat-heaight, steering-tilt and steering-reach that works all the time. Just too many variables to find the right answer I guess

I generally set seat-height to lowest during city and highest during highway drives. I like to hold the steering closer to the top and over long distance drives, do find my shoulders paining a bit.

Just too many permutations-combinations, so havent bothered to find the right one.
Old 12th August 2014, 22:45   #6365
BHPian

i will be giving my XUV FOR 20000 KMS service in a few days. Considering that we ll be leaving for LEH in about 25 days, what all should i get done in this service other than the normally done things?
Old 13th August 2014, 06:55   #6366
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
i will be giving my XUV FOR 20000 KMS service in a few days. Considering that we ll be leaving for LEH in about 25 days, what all should i get done in this service other than the normally done things?
I don't think anything besides the standard service would be needed. A suspension re-torquing may be.

The 20K service includes, wheel-rotation-alignment-balancing and I would recommend get it done from a reputed tyre-shop rather than at the service center.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 16:32   #6367
BHPian

Attended the Purple club torque day at chennai on Aug 10th. Have created a thread for the same. Experienced the beast called XUV like never before.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3504154

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:23   #6368
BHPian

Thanks to all who responded to my previous question. I have one more which I hope current owners of XUV can answers

- How is the ride quality in the second row in our highways?

I am looking to replace my 2008 Verna. Verna has a very bouncy ride in our highways due to its soft suspension. People sitting in the back constantly ask me to slow down to around 100 because they feel nauseated due to the bounciness. Our highways tend to have the undulations that cause the bouncy ride in Verna.

How is the same ride in XUV compared to Verna?
I am very conservative driver and cornering ability at moderate to high speeds is not high in my list as I tend to slow down quite a bit at corners. Verna was never a corner carver. But comfortable ride quality at speeds of around 100-120 kph is important.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated..

-JB-
Old 14th August 2014, 11:31   #6369
BHPian

What's the max amount of fuel that you could manage to squeeze into the tank, considering that you are filling up to the brim

Max I could do was 75 litres
Yesterday, when I did a tank full, the amount was 80.x litres. Not sure if the fuel dispenser is tempered with or its actually possible to put 80 litres
Old 14th August 2014, 14:00   #6370
BHPian

Finally booked a silver W6, have asked them to deliver on Ganesh Chaturthi on 29th August.

The sales manager told me that they have a same model in there warehouse for which she gave me the VIN no.

On decoding it I found that it is June 2014 manufactured model. So is it fine to take this vehicles delivery or ask them to order a new one. Experts need your help.
Old 14th August 2014, 15:23   #6371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the ride quality in the second row in our highways?
How is the same ride in XUV compared to Verna?
Though I never sat in second row till now, none of the passengers have complained about seating comfort in second row.

However Verna's issue is soft suspension, hence passengers are wobbled around. XUV have firmer suspension, due to this passengers may not be wobbled around. However on bad roads a firmer suspension will transfer the jolt to the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
Yesterday, when I did a tank full, the amount was 80.x litres. Not sure if the fuel dispenser is tempered with or its actually possible to put 80 litres
I guess M&M mentions capacity as 70 liters with a 2 lts margin. I guess it is not possible to measure correctly the fuel capacity since you will always be having few lts of fuel inside the tank.

My rough estimate is that it holds around 74-75 litres when filled to neck brim.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 09:22   #6372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
I have a Query, as per my understanding first few service are free, so why they are charging you the amount mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Only labor is free. You need to pay for consumables such as oil, filters etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
What's the max amount of fuel that you could manage to squeeze into the tank, considering that you are filling up to the brim

I have heard of upto 70 ltrs being filled in the tank but 80 Ltrs is the first case. May be you were on last drop when you were getting the tank topped up. In any case, it has been proved beyond doubt that the tank capacity is well above the claimed 65 ltrs.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:08   #6373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have heard of upto 70 ltrs being filled in the tank but 80 Ltrs is the first case. May be you were on last drop when you were getting the tank topped up. In any case, it has been proved beyond doubt that the tank capacity is well above the claimed 65 ltrs.
http://m.mahindraxuv500.com/Specifications.aspx

Officially it's 70 ltrs
vaibhavdalal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 11:11   #6374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have gone upto 74-76 litres few times when dte showed 0km. 80 litres could be the extreme situation.

FundaG
Old 17th August 2014, 11:36   #6375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
On decoding it I found that it is June 2014 manufactured model. So is it fine to take this vehicles delivery or ask them to order a new one.
There is no update from June model to this months I guess, also it is just two months old. If after doing a PDI you ok with the vehicle I guess it is fine to go ahead with purchase.

Also if you ask for a new car now there is a chance that your delivery may be delayed than 29th.

Most Viewed