Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 13:33   #6481
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajivNarvekar View Post
In the last two weeks i read up quite a lot on two things that were bugging me with my XUV5OO w8 - BlueDoc:

1. Good Floor Mats and
2a. Pen drives for the music
2b. Charger for my phone(s)

1. Floor Mat
I wanted to buy the 3D Kagu mats but was not sure of the vendor's authenticity and value for money. I also read about the 3M Nomad loop mats and finally spent Rs 7500 in pune to get a grey colored mat. This price covered the 3 seating rows and the small toolbox area as well. My take on 3M Nomad is it is worth the money. See attached photos

2a. Pen drive for music
I have lots of music and my 6 year son loves yo yo honey singh, my wife loves kishore kumar and i love all kinds of stuff (i hardly get to hear it with my family). Now all this creates chaos when we go around so CDs don't help. So the only solution was to get pen-drives and listen to everybody's choice. The pen drives were bulky and the flap would not close with all the extension wires etc. So i bought a very small 8GB pen drive from ebay. Problem solved, no more messy cables. See attached photos
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=...n+disk&_sop=15

2b. We have 3 smart phones in the house and all 3 travel with the family. These smart phones drain so fast thanks to 3G and whatsapp. So I wanted a compact charger that would fit the small storage compartment below the infotainment module. Looked up at Ebay and bought a dual USB charger that fits nicely in the storage compartment. See attached photos
http://www.ebay.in/itm/261528224207?...84.m1439.l2649

My next buy is going to be the INNOVV C1 front dash camera...

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVV-1080P-H...9475371&sr=1-1

All comments welcome...

Cheers
rajiv
The mats pretty much look like the artificial coir foot mats we find, can you please let me know how is this better and different, specifically how is this better than Kagu 3d Mats?
Old 9th September 2014, 16:16   #6482
BHPian

What do you guys think about the accident that happened involving an XUV and a truck.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3527582
Old 9th September 2014, 17:35   #6483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
What do you guys think about the accident that happened involving an XUV and a truck.

Thank God the Airbags were deployed and the Driver escaped with minor injuries. Proves the worth of XUV in its safety aspects. But the damage looks so severe that XUV may not be repairable. Did not want to look at the pictures longer. Horrifying...
Old 9th September 2014, 18:12   #6484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post

Airbags definitely was a life saver for him and thank god he is safe and thanks to Mahindra for a well built sturdy car.

Also if you notice in the 5th pic, there is one more XUV in the garage which is almost scraped. I guess it has toppled or badly hit. Hope the passengers were safe in that car as well.
Old 9th September 2014, 18:19   #6485
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I am not sure how an oncoming truck hit caused maximum damage to the left side of the vehicle.

However an interesting thing from that pic is that A pillar air-bags were not deployed, may be due to an slightly off-set impact which did not trigger the side sensors too; just my guess.

It is a W8 from the alloys.

Another query to Bangalore XUV owners, did any one of you receive an SMS informing about a new service centre open near Koramangla?
I got an SMS last Sunday mentioning about a service center open between Brigade road and Koramangala Forum mall. No other details apart from a phone number.
Old 9th September 2014, 22:34   #6486
BHPian

To the owners on this thread - how does the braking of XUV5OO compare to say a 10L sedan?

I test drove a XUV last week, and the brakes were atrocious. Almost made me want to stop the test drive, as the brakes began their effect a split second after the braking action...and took a while for me to get my expectations of where I should be in sync withe where the vehicle was.
Old 10th September 2014, 08:34   #6487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
To the owners on this thread - how does the braking of XUV5OO compare to say a 10L sedan?

I test drove a XUV last week, and the brakes were atrocious. Almost made me want to stop the test drive, as the brakes began their effect a split second after the braking action...and took a while for me to get my expectations of where I should be in sync withe where the vehicle was.
I used to drive a ford fiesta and upgraded to XUV 2 weeks back. I did not find much difference in braking. It is responsive and is stopping where I want it to stop
gpriyesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 09:46   #6488
BHPian

Quote:

Test drive cars are thrashed around all the time. Its hardly possible to get a perfect feel of the car.

I test drove the XUV last week itself.
But I got a chance to drive a new unregistered one and the test drive vehical as well.
The differences were very much notable.
The test drive vehical had done ~56k kms.

Note : The new vehical was supposed to be registered as the next TD vehical, do not worry/comment/argue about it landing up with some customer.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:48   #6489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
as the brakes began their effect a split second after the braking action...and took a while for me to get my expectations of where I should be in sync withe where the vehicle was.
The breaks work effectively, however it gets time getting used to it. I had read many reviews about the break pedal play before I went for test drive, still it was bit un-nerving. However after using it for a while we tend to get used to, The problem I feel is the break pedal play is more with the initial few millimeters not getting any response from vehicle.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:38   #6490
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

How old was the vehicle? Mine is 2 years old, but has Galfer brake pads and a upgraded brake-pedal. The braking is very sharp in my XUV. Starts biting the moment I touch the pedal and is very predictable.

Having said that, before the brake-pad and pedal upgrade, the brake used to start biting a bit late and invariably I used to push harder to make up for the time lost while the vehicle did not lose speed after touching the brake. After the upgrade, I don't feel any such issue. That's why the question, how old was the TD vehicle?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:26   #6491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
How old was the vehicle? Mine is 2 years old, but has Galfer brake pads and a upgraded brake-pedal. The braking is very sharp in my XUV. Starts biting the moment I touch the pedal and is very predictable.

Having said that, before the brake-pad and pedal upgrade, the brake used to start biting a bit late and invariably I used to push harder to make up for the time lost while the vehicle did not lose speed after touching the brake. After the upgrade, I don't feel any such issue. That's why the question, how old was the TD vehicle?
Hi, mine is a June 2014 manufactured model. Do you think that it has latest design pads and break pedal.
Old 10th September 2014, 13:49   #6492
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Hi, mine is a June 2014 manufactured model. Do you think that it has latest design pads and break pedal.
I got the brake-pad and pedal replaced more than a year back. I was asked about the feedback of the new design brake-pad and pedal. My guess is that after collating the feedback from a few users, they would have rolled it out to production. There is no way to confirm it though, unless you get an answer from M&M directly.

Last edited by SDP : 10th September 2014 at 13:50.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 16:13   #6493
BHPian

Quote:
the brakes began their effect a split second after the braking action
I did not find the braking to be inadequate any time, but the pedal action is not linear. The first few mm of travel does not seem to have any effect and then it starts biting in a non linear fashion. It is more to do with getting used to the braking curve. I did not have much problem adjusting to this behaviour as my Santro's braking was also somewhat like this. My Figo's braking seems to be more linear compared to the XUV.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 19:56   #6494
BHPian

Folks..I remember reading somewhere that XUV has a speed sensing volume control. Is that the case? If yes how do we enable that?
Old 10th September 2014, 20:24   #6495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

I cannot tell the age but it had 38k on the odo and had a white background numberplate. It was quite clearly a reserved for tests / abuse vehicle and atleast three indicators (airbag, hand brake and one other) were permanently on.

Overall, I am glad to know there are alternatives, mind sharing the ugrade cost?

Most Viewed