Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 11:25   #6691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzealot View Post
Hi! All,
I am planning to buy W8 AWD in a weeks time. Just got a call from sterling Gurgaon stating that I should close the deal max. By November 2nd as there's a price increase planned ranging between 6k to 35k. Request if fellow members can please vet the news.
It can not be true. Manufacturers may not increase price in dull period between Diwali and New Year. There might be a sale target for November 2 for the SA. You must check with other dealers in NCR to be doubly sure (specially when there is no immense demand for W8 at this point of time).
Old 30th October 2014, 13:08   #6692
Senior - BHPian

I am sharing my experience with the XUV 5oo (W8) after driving it for 200+ KM's on the highway and some bad roads in the last few days.
  • With full load (4 adults, 2 kids and lots of weekend luggage), the car has no issues with power. The low end torque is very good.
  • The vehicle I drove was 27000 KM on the odo.
  • The performance after 3rd service is much better (especially the second gear pick up). The pickup is excellent.
  • Vehicles give way when they see an XUV approaching.
  • Braking is fantastic.
  • You don't feel the need to be careful on bad roads.
  • TPMS works very well (though it gives false alarms when there is some moisture near the sensor/ valve)
  • The insulation is very good. Outside noise is minimal. Horn noise heard inside cabin is very less.
  • Rear AC is a boon. Front AC is fantastic as well.
  • No rattling even after driving hard on bad roads - build quality is good.
  • The ride is bumpy - when compared to a sedan. There is lot of bounce even with 3 adults sitting behind with 2 kids and lots of luggage.
  • Not very confidence inspiring on uneven roads.
  • If you drive fast, then the ride is better - indicating stiff suspension setup.
  • The low beam is strictly average (I understand that they put halogen bulbs instead of HID). The high beam is good.
  • The steering seems to be light even at speeds above 100. (I am used to a heavier steering.)
  • A-pillar blind spot on driver side is quite big. You need to get used to this.
  • Secondly if a vehicle is overtaking from the left side, you might miss it. This may be due to the smaller glass area of the window. So, always watch out for something in the left ORVM before lane changing.
  • The area below the front bumper is quite low. So, when off-roading, a nose dive will scrape the bottom of the bumper. I don't see AWD being of much value in this case.
Old 30th October 2014, 13:13   #6693
BHPian

I am buying my first vehicle this week, XUV500 W6, white.

I was thinking a sedan and had booked Maruti CIAZ on the first day booking started. I did not even consider any SUV/MUVs. It sure had the aspirational value, but I wasn't sure it was the right time.

CIAZ delivery was getting delayed and the response from SA wasn't to my liking. Long story short, took XUV for a test drive and was happy, and they offered some pretty good discounts plus ready delivery.

Please let me know what details I should make sure before committing and paying. I should be gettting the VIN number today itself.
Old 30th October 2014, 13:44   #6694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
BHPains..

I took the TD of Duster, Terrano, XUV etc and today the TD of ARIA Pure Lx.

I can say that Aria's ride on broken road was excellent compared to XUV.
I was feeling jerky and unsettled when i took the XUV over the broken roads with other 4 more passengers. But Aria gave me a car like ride just as the Duster and Innova.

In pick up, Aria was way ahead of Innova. Being an enthusiastic driver with a diesel rocket Optra Magnum in hand, I would say that Aria does not disappoint in the pickup.

I took Aria to an inclined place, stopped it and then took it again and i would say it did better than XUV when i moved the gear from 1st to 2nd. I think the lag is bit less in Aria. ( In Aria load was bit less compared to what XUV had , may be 100 -110 kg less)

I am now confused as the ride and interior space and finish was better in Aria.
I felt happy when I sat in Aria as it gave a car like feel. Felt solid too.

Any comments??
1)Pick up: Xuv has better power to weight and torque to weight ratio , you should TD both the vehicles again.
Agreed that Aria is good, but i don't think it is better than XUV.
2)Inclined place : XUV again should be as effortless or better than the Aria,
may be just a matter of getting used to the gearing ratio of XUV, you should take both TDs again to be sure.
3)Ride quality on broken roads and highways: Aria surely trumps XUV in this department.
4)Interior finish : This is subjective . personally, even i found the Aria to be much better than XUV in this department .

If you are going to encounter a lot of broken tarmac scenario in your daily life, you can go in for the Aria. (consider waiting for the refresh Aria launch in that case)
OR
If this broken road TD was just for TD and comparison sake, i would say don't fret too much about the jerks and undulation of the XUV cabin , you will get used to it, XUV sure is more lagless & fun to drive than an Aria (IMO).
Go for the XUV.

Try to relate to your needs and then decide between the both.

I would suggest to take at least a couple of TDs more of both the vehicles on separate days (same road if possible) and then take a call.

Last edited by madhu33 : 30th October 2014 at 13:46.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 13:47   #6695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
  • The area below the front bumper is quite low. So, when off-roading, a nose dive will scrape the bottom of the bumper. I don't see AWD being of much value in this case.
Can you please elaborate on this point? I don't see a relation between a low bumper scraping the ground and AWD.
Old 30th October 2014, 14:09   #6696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Can you please elaborate on this point? I don't see a relation between a low bumper scraping the ground and AWD.
I would consider a 4WD or AWD to be used on really bad terrains with lots of rocks, slush and deep pits.

In this regard, despite having a good set of tyres and plenty of engine power, which can get through difficult situation, one would risk impacts to the nose/ bumper lower area, since it is quite low. I don't see anything else that the XUV is missing when it comes to such off-road requirements.
We faced a situation two days ago in the jungles and had to take a U-turn midway in the trail.
In other words, if you are purchasing a 4WD/ AWD, and cannot take it to such areas, then it is pointless to pay an extra 1 lac.

Last edited by S_U_N : 30th October 2014 at 14:12.
Old 30th October 2014, 16:03   #6697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I would consider a 4WD or AWD to be used on really bad terrains with lots of rocks, slush and deep pits.
In other words, if you are purchasing a 4WD/ AWD, and cannot take it to such areas, then it is pointless to pay an extra 1 lac.
An AWD and a 4WD are two different things altogether. From my experience, the XUV has sufficient ground clearance for the situations which it can handle. If you consider most of the AWD vehicles available, they have similar GC and also approach & departure angles. AWD are primarily meant for mild off-road excursions and nothing more. For serious mud plugging, a 4WD with low range transfer case is recommended. How much ever be the ride height of the vehicle, you can always find an obstacle, which it cannot cross
Old 30th October 2014, 16:03   #6698
BHPian

Noticed in the TBHP review of Scorpio that the infotainment system has options to display tiretonics details like pressure and temperature. And navigation has a better icon based UI. Hope XUV also gets these update. Any info of upcoming updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindrascorpio10.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindrascorpio09.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindrascorpio16.jpg  

fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 18:14   #6699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
I am buying my first vehicle this week, XUV500 W6, white.

I was thinking a sedan and had booked Maruti CIAZ on the first day booking started. I did not even consider any SUV/MUVs. It sure had the aspirational value, but I wasn't sure it was the right time.

CIAZ delivery was getting delayed and the response from SA wasn't to my liking. Long story short, took XUV for a test drive and was happy, and they offered some pretty good discounts plus ready delivery.

Please let me know what details I should make sure before committing and paying. I should be gettting the VIN number today itself.
Congratulations Justin on the XUV. You may please go through the related threads on Buying a new car - to get to know all the details before you buy a new car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html

Also on the discounts, can you give the details on what they are?

-Vivek
Old 30th October 2014, 18:25   #6700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
Congratulations Justin on the XUV. You may please go through the related threads on Buying a new car - to get to know all the details before you buy a new car.

Also on the discounts, can you give the details on what they are?

-Vivek
Thanks vivek; I went through the other threads, wanted to know if there are any requirements/checks/verifications etc. that are specific to XUV.

I am getting 80,000/- cash discount +3M teflon coating (with warranty)+side beading.
(insurance:31,000/-, exchange:20,000/- and corporate:10,000/- plus another 19,000/-)

Final on road comes to 13,07,000/- in Cochin.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:55   #6701
BHPian

Hi! All,
Need urgent help on choosing W8 FWD or AWD. Car would travel to Leh at least once a year and at times mild off roading in uttarakhand or Rajasthan. Please help me understand if FWD is capable of it or I should go for AWD. Price difference doesn't matter but should make sense spending that extra bit.
Old 30th October 2014, 20:24   #6702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzealot View Post
Hi! All,
Need urgent help on choosing W8 FWD or AWD. Car would travel to Leh at least once a year and at times mild off roading in uttarakhand or Rajasthan. Please help me understand if FWD is capable of it or I should go for AWD. Price difference doesn't matter but should make sense spending that extra bit.
FWD cars can go to Leh easily. We have seen numerous Innovas and even XUVs go to Leh and make it back successfully.

For the deserts of Rajasthan, an AWD will give you more fun. You can fearlessly venture out into the sand dunes. Howver, an AWD Can no way match a 4X4 like Scorpio.
Old 30th October 2014, 21:16   #6703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Thanks vivek; I went through the other threads, wanted to know if there are any requirements/checks/verifications etc. that are specific to XUV.

I am getting 80,000/- cash discount +3M teflon coating (with warranty)+side beading.
(insurance:31,000/-, exchange:20,000/- and corporate:10,000/- plus another 19,000/-)

Final on road comes to 13,07,000/- in Cochin.
That is good deal Justin. Which dealer at Kochi are you buying from? TVS or KTC?
Old 30th October 2014, 22:24   #6704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpriyesh View Post
That is good deal Justin. Which dealer at Kochi are you buying from? TVS or KTC?
TVS. Both offered more or less the same. Also, KTC is located close to my place. But negotiations were going on for some time and both were matching/undercutting the other and then I fed up and asked for final deal, and TVC came first. Somehow from the interactions, I also felt that TVS might be better in after sales service.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:33   #6705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
FWD cars can go to Leh easily. We have seen numerous Innovas and even XUVs go to Leh and make it back successfully.

For the deserts of Rajasthan, an AWD will give you more fun. You can fearlessly venture out into the sand dunes. Howver, an AWD Can no way match a 4X4 like Scorpio.
Hi Bharath,
I was in Leh this July on my Duster 85 BHP RXL which I bought in the month of April'14 and just sold. My observations.... Duster ran out of breath on several occasions especially until turbo stepped in. The best performance was observed in xylo. Primarily being rear wheel drive. Inova was seen in abundance too however I saw the belly getting scraped every now and then due to low ground clearance. Xuv W8 getting stuck on banks of pengong which eventually I evacuated due to my origin from Rajasthan and experience of driving in sand. Could you please elaborate why you rate Scorpio four wheel better than xuv awd except for former being high on Ground clearance. Any issues with technology? My inclination towards AWD is only because of one simple reason that it would help me get out safely in tricky situations. If FWD can do the same I will be glad. Please help
carzealot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks