Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2014, 16:37   #6886
BHPian

Hi All XUV Owners, I had taken delivery of a new XUV 500 W8 today morning. I think there is an issue, but not sure if there is anything really to worry about or is just fine.

I had installed the reverse cam from the dealer itself. After driving a few kms after delivery, when I was driving in 2nd gear / 3rd gear, the gear number in the display panel suddenly changed to 'R' and the reverse cam started showing on the infotainment system, but the vehicle was still moving forward only. Stopped the vehicle, turned off, and then restarted the car. Problem recurred 2/3 times, and then the vehicle was behaving normally. Took the car to the dealer, they checked and said that everything was fine, but some water got into the sensor while washing. They used dry air and dried up some specific area in the engine bay.

The sales person also did a test drive and the vehicle was behaving normally. After that, started driving the car home. On the way, noticed that, when I shift gears, the gear number display shows 1 gear number higher and then corrects to the right gear number almost instantly. Eg. When I slot the third gear, the display shows 4 for a fraction of a second, and then displays 3 correctly. Same thing happens every time I shift gears.

Is this normal or something that I need to worry about? Please advise.
Old 25th December 2014, 16:49   #6887
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

The sales person also did a test drive and the vehicle was behaving normally. After that, started driving the car home. On the way, noticed that, when I shift gears, the gear number display shows 1 gear number higher and then corrects to the right gear number almost instantly. Eg. When I slot the third gear, the display shows 4 for a fraction of a second, and then displays 3 correctly. Same thing happens every time I shift gears.

Is this normal or something that I need to worry about? Please advise.
Don't worry. It is normal behavior, its annoying but is normal.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 20:27   #6888
BHPian

Thanks Falconion... Relieves me a lot!
Old 26th December 2014, 16:05   #6889
BHPian

Folks,

I am planning to use my Insurance to claim for the replacement of the following:

1. Front right headlight assembly
2. Rear bumper (its got some cracks in it).

Can someone here enlighten me on the process, time and costs involved?

And possible Pros/Cons too!

Last edited by reevester : 26th December 2014 at 16:06. Reason: added
Old 28th December 2014, 16:39   #6890
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Falconion... Relieves me a lot!
Another clarification. Many have talked about difficulty in slotting the second gear. In my new car, second gear seems to be okay than the third gear. When I slot the third gear, it feels like, the gear engagement is not smooth, and I hear a tak sound, before it engages fully - gear engaging sound is more audible than any other gear.

Is this normal as well? I am looking to take the car to the service Center tomorrow to discuss this. Need some pointers before that.
Old 28th December 2014, 17:13   #6891
BHPian

Quote:
Another clarification. Many have talked about difficulty in slotting the second gear. In my new car, second gear seems to be okay than the third gear. When I slot the third gear, it feels like, the gear engagement is not smooth, and I hear a tak sound, before it engages fully - gear engaging sound is more audible than any other gear.

Is this normal as well? I am looking to take the car to the service Center tomorrow to discuss this. Need some pointers before that.
The gear slotting in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is notchy. So far I had little luck with service center guyz trying to fix that up for me. All they do is apply lubricant to it, which lasts for a day or two and you are gonna have the same issue.

If time is of importance to you, then I would suggest you not to waste it and bring up that issue at time of service. (I have taken up this issue 4 times so far with no satisfactory result).

On the other hand 4th, 5th, and 6th gear slot easily without any fuss.
Old 28th December 2014, 22:28   #6892
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

My XUV is due for its 10k service.

No major complaints apart from the squeaking sounds - which appears to be coming from the seats now.

Apart from this there is one which I am living with from the very beginning. I am still not very comfortable driving in slow moving traffic as in the second gear the vehicle just accelerates automatically - someone told me that this is something to do with the clutch adjustments / tuning however I am not much hopeful that I will get any solution for this.

Please could you advise if there is anything that I should be careful with respect to the 10k service? And what should be the expected cost ?

Thanks.
Old 29th December 2014, 15:03   #6893
BHPian

All XUV500 owners, need some advise.

When I bought the XUV back in 2013, I bought it with bumper guards. (Front as well as back). However, after going through a number of discussions on team-bhp, I am convinced that bumper guards bring down the structural safety of the car and may mess with airbags operation as well. Am I correct in this assessment? My 30K service is due now. I am thinking of getting rid of the bumpers. What is your opinion?

Regards
Venu
Old 29th December 2014, 15:26   #6894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
However, after going through a number of discussions on team-bhp, I am convinced that bumper guards bring down the structural safety of the car and may mess with airbags operation as well.
Yes. The front guards hinder in air bag deployment since air bag sensors are placed behind the bumper.
Old 31st December 2014, 11:45   #6895
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Apart from this there is one which I am living with from the very beginning. I am still not very comfortable driving in slow moving traffic as in the second gear the vehicle just accelerates automatically - someone told me that this is something to do with the clutch adjustments / tuning however I am not much hopeful that I will get any solution for this.
The XUV's engine idles at around 850-900 rpm. If you drop below this rpm and release the clutch fully, the engine automatically revs up to the 850-900rpm mark. May be this is what you are talking about. This is not really a problem and I believe it is common behaviour of diesel enginers. Diesel engines are torquey and you would feel a strong 'tug' when you release the clutch.

Nothing to worry about, just needs some getting used to. May be in really slow moving traffic stay in 1st gear longer.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 13:42   #6896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The XUV's engine idles at around 850-900 rpm. If you drop below this rpm and release the clutch fully, the engine automatically revs up to the 850-900rpm mark. May be this is what you are talking about. This is not really a problem and I believe it is common behaviour of diesel enginers. Diesel engines are torquey and you would feel a strong 'tug' when you release the clutch.
Yup. This is the anti stall kicking in. When rpm falls below the idling, the ECU will attempt to prevent a stall by injecting fuel even without you pressing the accelerator. In diesel it's more pronounced because of additional torque vs a petrol motor.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 17:42   #6897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
In fact I'm looking for a mobile stand which I can fix adjacent to the dashboard so I can use the phone guidance more comfortably by being able to view the screen while driving.
Right, if you find one let me know. I am also not too impressed with the routes that Map My India is throwing up.

I have also had a curious experience. Sometimes, if my vehicle is facing one direction, the route given by MMI is totally different than when the vehicle is facing the opposite direction. And I am not talking about going down this road, taking a turn and joining back to the main route kind of change. I am talking about a completely different route being suggested.

The worst case of this I came across is when I was in Banaganpalli in AP and wanted to go to Ahobilam about 75 kms away. When I first switched on MMI and entered the destination, it came up with a route that went North for about 25 kms and then turned East, for a total distance of 100 kms. I asked a local about the route and he suggested a completely different one which was directly East and about 75 kms. So when I took a U turn and rechecked with MMI, then it showed the new route too!

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you? I now exclusively use my iPhone/iPad for navigation, that's why I'm looking for a stand too.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 20:56   #6898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Right, if you find one let me know.
Well I've found stuff on Amazon.I liked this one. Only 5 people have bought it but the reviews are uniformly good. Click here for the link.

However, I'd like to check out some offerings in the marketplace, just to get an idea of how it looks and feel. If I get something I'll let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-car-mobile-stand.png  

Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:49   #6899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Well I've found stuff on Amazon.I liked this one. Only 5 people have bought it but the reviews are uniformly good. Click here for the link.

However, I'd like to check out some offerings in the marketplace, just to get an idea of how it looks and feel. If I get something I'll let you know.
I have this holder. It is pretty good. Picked up from ebay. This will fix only on the glass and not on any other surface of xuv
gpriyesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:57   #6900
BHPian

After taking delivery of my XUV 5OO, I had been asking the service personnel to enable / setup the anti-theft alarm. Unfortunately, I am being told that XUV's anti-theft lock doesn't come with audible alarm. It seems only the blinkers will blink on being locked / unlocked. When locked, on trying to open the door, there is no response from the vehicle.

Read from the manual that, pressing the Lock button in the key locks the vehicle with a beep. It works, but it seems it's only for that action. The audible alarm doesn't come up when unlocking and also doesn't come up when locking the vehicle again.

Is this the way XUV behaves? I am surprised and disappointed that a premium SUV doesn't come with audible anti-theft alarm...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks