Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 19:43   #6931
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
For 14K you can have Bridgestone and Goodyear. Under 10K you get Maxxis and Apollo. Any idea how Maxxis are?
I had Maxxis which came with my W4, ride and breaking was good, but it had some manufacturing defect which caused leaks in the inside side wall of 2 tyres. Got all five replaced with Bridgestone.

Last edited by tirthankard77 : 12th January 2015 at 19:45.
tirthankard77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 20:32   #6932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For 14K you can have Bridgestone and Goodyear. Under 10K you get Maxxis and Apollo. Any idea how Maxxis are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
I had Maxxis which came with my W4, ride and breaking was good, but it had some manufacturing defect which caused leaks in the inside side wall of 2 tyres. Got all five replaced with Bridgestone.
5 tyres for 14 K sounds like a good deal man!!
The 185/65 Michelin for my figo cost me 14 K back in 2012. That too four tyres at that.
Old 12th January 2015, 20:48   #6933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

The 185/65 Michelin for my figo cost me 14 K back in 2012. That too four tyres at that.
Oh no way 14k for 4 tyres, its 14k per tyre. Thats why I thought you must have exchanged new ones for 14k. If it was 14k for 4 I would have bought it with eyes closed. Lol
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 20:48   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
14+k was the price without exchange. And I bought 5 of them back then.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
I had Maxxis which came with my W4, ride and breaking was good, but it had some manufacturing defect which caused leaks in the inside side wall of 2 tyres. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
The above quoted price might be for one tyre, not 4 tyres. Price for 235 / 65R / 17 size costs upwards of Rs.8K per tyre depending upon brand.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 23:07   #6935
o.D
BHPian

Quote:
Oh no way 14k for 4 tyres, its 14k per tyre. Thats why I thought you must have exchanged new ones for 14k. If it was 14k for 4 I would have bought it with eyes closed. Lol
That's right nitinralli. Sorry for confusing my bad!

It was 14 something per Tyre. Add MRF's too to your list while you're still checking.
Old 15th January 2015, 20:59   #6936
BHPian

Hi all.I booked a dolphin grey XUV500 W6 today. The dealer had one left from Dec2014 manufacturing date and gave me a discount of Rs.35000. The vehicle with insurance and reg. Is costing me Rs12.56 lacs. In addition to it I will also be getting some accessories like carpet matting. Getting the delivery either tomorrow or day after.
Old 17th January 2015, 13:15   #6937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
The prices have gone up effective 1st Jan 2015. Below is the list of new prices in Karnataka - Bangalore.

Attachment 1325646

Can anybody let me know what are the current discounts running here in Bangalore?
I recently checked it out. W8 is costing 17.43 lac and W6 is 15.4 lac on road in Bangalore from Jan '15 onwards. Running discounts are free insurance and corporate discount which amounts to about 40K. Dealer was willing to give discount on accessories.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 13:52   #6938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I recently checked it out. W8 is costing 17.43 lac and W6 is 15.4 lac on road in Bangalore from Jan '15 onwards. Running discounts are free insurance and corporate discount which amounts to about 40K. Dealer was willing to give discount on accessories.
Thanks for the info supertinu I think best bet would be to wait for the facelift model in March and opt for the same. Hopefully the insurance discount will be available every month.
Old 17th January 2015, 15:06   #6939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Right, if you find one let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Try this, Car Mount on dx.com, they provide free shipping to India as well. Only concern is it would take around 15 - 20 days for the shipment to arrive.
Fusionbang I liked the one that you bought; ordered it on Jan 5, and as you had warned me got tired of waiting for it to arrive. So yesterday in Mangalore I picked up this for Rs 500/-. Completely unbranded, no mention of manufacturing location, directions printed on the carton !!

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-car-holder-mobile.jpg

Drove back 65 kms to Manipal. Overall road is good but there are many patches that are potholed. The mount held up very well and the suction cap seems very strong. As you can see in the photos, I found the best position for an XUV to be the lower right hand corner. The phone coincidentally is close to the AC vent, and the charging wire travels easily from the aux.

Overall, design, plastic quality, the locks, sponges, etc, all look and feel pretty decent. I'm quite delighted with the purchase. Let's hope I stay that way over the years. What a relief to be able to use Google Maps, instead of Map My India.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0001.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0002.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0003.jpg  

Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 17:26   #6940
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
What a relief to be able to use Google Maps, instead of Map My India.
Thanks for the suggestion to use Google Maps instead of the lethargic MMI. Whenever my XUV 500 visited India Garage, I used to ask the RM about the availability of map upgrades as mine was version 8.0, whereas I have version 9.1 in my stand-alone MMI Lx130 navigator. But, I used to get the same negative reply from them every time. I had already registered the UUID in MMI website and I have been trying in vain to buy the elusive map upgrade. The map upgrade is neither available with Mahindra A S S nor in MMI website. It's high time I switched over to Google Maps on my smart phone. I already have the windshield mount supplied by MMI, which can be used to hold my smart phone for navigation.
  (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 20:28   #6941
Senior - BHPian

hey Folks, i recently test drove an XUV. The car was 2012 model with 30K kms on odo. The overall impression was good especially the low end torque and the engine sound was relatively muted. The felt that the engine was not very free revving after 3K rpm but it was not that bad. After that today I drove another 2014 XUV which is due for 2nd service and has about 9K Kms on the odo. The low end torque was similar but I felt the mid range was not that good and engine strained after 2500rpm. I am bit confused now. Could it be due to the fact that engine doesnt have enough miles on it? is this normal with XUVs? I am also comparing things to my Diesel figo which has a free revving engine with strong mid range.
Old 17th January 2015, 20:37   #6942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks for the suggestion to use Google Maps instead of the lethargic MMI.
Raviji, I have been feeling frustrated with MMI for some time. Since Pondicherry is almost your third home, , you will appreciate this story. I recently travelled to Pondy from Bangalore. MMI routed me from Krishnagiri-Mathur-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondy. There is virtually no road from Krishnagiri till about 20 kms past Chengam. I was so happy I was in an SUV and not a sedan, in which I would have certainly punctured the engine oil sump ! The beauty of Google Maps is that it does not even show the above as a route. In fact the preferred route, as you undoubtedly know well, is Pondy-Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. I used this on the way back, and what a beauty it was, particularly after Arcot, though the state highways till then, though single lane, were also in excellent condition.

I think Google Maps, while no means perfect, will serve us well because their updations are quite fast, and being internet based we will always have the latest data to guide us.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 22:43   #6943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fusionbang I liked the one that you bought; ordered it on Jan 5, and as you had warned me got tired of waiting for it to arrive. So yesterday in Mangalore I picked up this for Rs 500/-. Completely unbranded, no mention of manufacturing location, directions printed on the carton !!

Attachment 1329433
You know that's not a good place to keep the phone at all. I stopped keeping it there as it's easiest place to steal from. Have heard of stories where a biker will knock on your window and point to rear tyre and ask you to roll down glass. The minute you roll down, he swiftly grabs the phone and flees.

Plus you get direct sun. The best place is actually attach the suction mount to the left of the IRVM towards top of windshield. that way it gets shade throughout.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 23:08   #6944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You know that's not a good place to keep the phone at all.
Hi Vid, you do make an interesting point. Honestly never thought of such possibilities. Thanks for alerting me.

I'm not too fussed about the sun. Secondly, with a power of -7 dioptres, I'm not too sure about the visibility aspect from the position that you suggest.

I've noticed that with an almost sixty year old retired guy, with loads of gravitas, even the cops stay away. After all 35 years in the corporate world counts for something

If I get into trouble with these bikers, I'll let you know. Once again, thanks for alerting me.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th January 2015 at 23:21. Reason: Sorry but I have to delete the reference to drinking and driving.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 09:45   #6945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know you liked the one I suggested, I bet you would like it more once you get your hands on it.

IMO, the one you have bought should hold good for few days and after that the vacuum suction goes for a toss and when a phone is connected it will not withstand the weight and tend to fall down every now and then. I had faced this earlier with a similar one, hence my comments

Quote:
Raviji, I have been feeling frustrated with MMI for some time. Since Pondicherry is almost your third home, , you will appreciate this story. I recently travelled to Pondy from Bangalore. MMI routed me from Krishnagiri-Mathur-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondy. There is virtually no road from Krishnagiri till about 20 kms past Chengam. I was so happy I was in an SUV and not a sedan, in which I would have certainly punctured the engine oil sump ! The beauty of Google Maps is that it does not even show the above as a route. In fact the preferred route, as you undoubtedly know well, is Pondy-Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. I used this on the way back, and what a beauty it was, particularly after Arcot, though the state highways till then, though single lane, were also in excellent condition.

I think Google Maps, while no means perfect, will serve us well because their updations are quite fast, and being internet based we will always have the latest data to guide us.
And on Google Maps, I completely agree with you that it is one of the best maps to be used while travelling. One such example is, recently Shiradi Ghat has been shut down for a duration of 6 months for repair works and if you try to get a route map from Bangalore - Mangalore, then Google Maps will show the roads as closed and gives you an alternate route, whereas Here Maps and MMI still show the route via Shiradi ghats which is misleading.

Anytime Google Maps is the best of the lot
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed