Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 10:55   #6946
J.Ravi

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I think Google Maps, while no means perfect, will serve us well
The only downside for using Google Maps is that we should have the phone connectivity all along the route. So far, I haven't tried it. Now, I will try in my next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The best place is actually attach the suction mount to the left of the IRVM towards top of windshield.
This was my favourite position in my erstwhile Linea. Now, I will try this in XUV 500 just for the sake of updated MMI maps of version 9.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Do let me know how this position works for you in the XUV.
Sure, Heavy Horse. I will try both my phone and MMI Lx130 in my next trip and report here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 18th January 2015 at 11:12.
  (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 11:04   #6947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
This was my favourite position in my erstwhile Linea. Now, I will try this in XUV 500 just for the sake of updated MMI maps of version 9.1.]
Do let me know how this position works for you in the XUV.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 11:41   #6948
J.Ravi

This is the reply I received just a few minutes ago from Map My India regarding updated maps for XUV 500:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mmi.jpg

Old 19th January 2015, 14:10   #6949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
hey Folks, i recently test drove an XUV. The car was 2012 model with 30K kms on odo. The overall impression was good especially the low end torque and the engine sound was relatively muted. The felt that the engine was not very free revving after 3K rpm but it was not that bad. After that today I drove another 2014 XUV which is due for 2nd service and has about 9K Kms on the odo. The low end torque was similar but I felt the mid range was not that good and engine strained after 2500rpm. I am bit confused now. Could it be due to the fact that engine doesnt have enough miles on it? is this normal with XUVs? I am also comparing things to my Diesel figo which has a free revving engine with strong mid range.
hey Folks, any thoughts on my query above.
Old 19th January 2015, 21:46   #6950
o.D
BHPian

Any recommendations for fully synthetic engine oils. Will be at the garage for the regular service and want to move to fully synthetic oil. Help please.
o.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 22:58   #6951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
Any recommendations for fully synthetic engine oils. Will be at the garage for the regular service and want to move to fully synthetic oil. Help please.
Never came across anyone who has used fully synthetic engine oil for XUV. I feel everyone is quite satisfied with the company recommended engine oil and I would suggest you to stick to basics. Just my point of view.
rahul_kej is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 19:24   #6952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.D View Post
They have some hybrid oil prescribed by Mahindra ( not sure if it possible to have mixture of mineral and synthetic oil). Why to not follow what manufacturer suggests unless you have strong reason for not doing so.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 04:51   #6953
BHPian

All, i feel that the XUV suspension is so bouncy when passing a hump, while also feeling every other road undulation while driving slow (upto 60kmph). Haven't driven faster than this, as I am yet to take my XUV onto the highways. Does everyone feel the same way? Does it mean settling with a lower comfort levels?
Old 21st January 2015, 06:35   #6954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
All, i feel that the XUV suspension is so bouncy when passing a hump, while also feeling every other road undulation while driving slow (upto 60kmph). Haven't driven faster than this, as I am yet to take my XUV onto the highways. Does everyone feel the same way? Does it mean settling with a lower comfort levels?
I am not sure when you bought your XUV, however in cases where you feel the vehicle is very bouncy, the first point to check is the air filled in the tyres.
Its well-known that dealers over inflate the tyres prior to delivery of the vehicle. Correct this as a first check, and see how it goes.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:30   #6955
BHPian

I had bought mine on Christmas Day... As you said, the dealer had in fact overinflated the tyres. I had corrected the pressure. It feels slightly better now, but I have a feeling that the 6L swift I had, had better suspension than a 16.5L XUV... :S
Old 21st January 2015, 11:38   #6956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
This is the reply I received just a few minutes ago from Map My India regarding updated maps for XUV 500:
Jaguar uses the same Map My India software as XUV. Hence I am sure MapmyIndia will be releasing updates for Jaguar which could be used in XUV also. However, Mahindra needs to keep getting hold of the same. Will they.. Wont they.. We need to wait and watch.

Quote:
It feels slightly better now, but I have a feeling that the 6L swift I had, had better suspension than a 16.5L XUV... :S
A point that all of us brings up during the initial days of ownership.. The point we however forget is we are comparing between a SUV vs a hatchback/sedan. The suspension setup for a SUV is different compared to the later. Not saying XUV has the best suspensions around. But I can guarantee you that with time, you will learn the technique of driving the beast without bouncing around too much. You can however, mention it during first service and the service guys would have a look at it to make it better. But end of the day dont expect the XUV's suspension to come anywhere close to your swift. At times I still feel my 6-7 yr old Alto drives over humps way better than the XUV.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 21st January 2015 at 11:40.
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 11:59   #6957
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had bought mine on Christmas Day... As you said, the dealer had in fact overinflated the tyres. I had corrected the pressure. It feels slightly better now, but I have a feeling that the 6L swift I had, had better suspension than a 16.5L XUV... :S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
A point that all of us brings up during the initial days of ownership.. The point we however forget is we are comparing between a SUV vs a hatchback/sedan. The suspension setup for a SUV is different compared to the later. Not saying XUV has the best suspensions around. But I can guarantee you that with time, you will learn the technique of driving the beast without bouncing around too much. You can however, mention it during first service and the service guys would have a look at it to make it better. But end of the day dont expect the XUV's suspension to come anywhere close to your swift. At times I still feel my 6-7 yr old Alto drives over humps way better than the XUV.

FundaG
Bang on FundaG. You and me are possibly the rare ones who are still hanging on to their age-old Alto even after getting the XUV. Exact same experience - The alto handles speed-breakers and minor road-undulations better than the XUV.

username, your observations are correct and FundaG has answered it really well. Would just like to add a small point. XUV's suspension is tuned for high-speed and high-load combination (i.e. long road-trips with family ). Just put 5 people in the car and a weekend's luggage for them and hit a highway. Around 100kmph of cruising speed, you will understand what I am talking about.
Old 21st January 2015, 12:11   #6958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A car will anytime have a better ride than a SUV. Its the laws of physics at play here. SUVs have a high COG and it is really difficult to achieve a flat ride in them, like we get in cars.
Old 21st January 2015, 12:35   #6959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
A car will anytime have a better ride than a SUV. Its the laws of physics at play here. SUVs have a high COG and it is really difficult to achieve a flat ride in them, like we get in cars.
but why safari, innova, pajero and other similar size vehicles don't exhibit this bouncing nature. I think it is something special with Mahindra suspensions as I see the same dancing in Scorpio also.
avimal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:02   #6960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
but why safari, innova, pajero and other similar size vehicles don't exhibit this bouncing nature. I think it is something special with Mahindra suspensions as I see the same dancing in Scorpio also.
The bounciness/ride quality is also a function of the suspension and chassis. Also, CG would be higher/lower depending on the design and the components used. For example, drive the new Scorpio and you would feel a difference in the ride quality over the older one. It is much more planted and the swaying/bouncing has reduced. This is owing to the lighter, stiffer chassis and tweaked suspension in the new gen Scorp.
I used to drive a Scorpio and now I (occasionally) drive an XUV 2wd. The XUV is overall less bouncy than the Scorp but it loses its composure over bumps and really crashes into potholes. I actually found the new gen Scorp to be better than the XUV in terms of ride quality!

Last edited by razor4077 : 21st January 2015 at 14:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks