Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 13:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The buzz on the street is that market response to the Eon has been very damp. Only ~10,000 bookings received so far (in the same period since launch, the new Swift received about 100,000 bookings)

The market never fails to throw a surprise.
Why are you comparing it with Swift and not with Alto numbers, it was not expected from GTO ;-)
Atleast now post Alto numbers please.
Old 22nd November 2011, 13:40   #152
Senior - BHPian

The EON is a good car, but is it a alto beater, no! Purely due to the price. For example, in Bangalore the Alto LXI retails for about 3.3lakhs and there is a standard discount of 10-12k + free remote locking. So this in effect makes the price about 3.15 lakhs. Whereas the EON's similar version is priced at about 3.90 lakhs OTR, which is a good 70-80k more than the alto. This is a lot of money that can be saved up for a budget car buyer! Secondly, the EON is actually far closer to the zen estilo and the a star in terms of pricing at the moment. Estilo lxi and a-star lxi are about 4.4 lakhs On road with a steady discount of 40-50k, they are at par with EON, with a much better engine. To me it looks like Eon's numbers are going to be at the cost of the santro rather than the alto. May be a 1-2k dip in Alto's sales, but nothing more.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:47   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Why are you comparing it with Swift and not with Alto numbers, it was not expected from GTO ;-)
Atleast now post Alto numbers please.
'new Swift' and 'EON' were launched around the same time. Hence I feel the comparison is valid. More so, because a higher segment 'new Swift' is selling better than an expected 'market shaker' EON. The market does throws surprise! (as GTO said).

For Alto Numbers, it was 15197 in Oct 2011 (lower than usual), please see GTO's October2011 Car Sales & Analysis thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html
viggienomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 11:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link. I regularly watch this thread without fail since it started and wish they have same for 2-wheelers. Infact it is posted on home page every month so no one can miss it. What I meant to say was a single figure for ALTO since EON's launch as was given for swift (1 lakh since its launch). If you notice, posting date is 22nd so we have to wait for car sales thread for another 10-12 days to get that figure but what I wanted a reasonable approximation like swift which also looks like an estimate unless MSIL stopped bookings exactly at one lac like XUV for which bookings closed after 4000 IIRC.

Last edited by carwatcher : 30th November 2011 at 11:36.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
...What I meant to say was a single figure for ALTO since EON's launch as was given for swift (1 lakh since its launch). If you notice, posting date is 22nd so we have to wait for car sales thread for another 10-12 days to get that figure but what I wanted a reasonable approximation like swift which also looks like an estimate .....
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, November figure can be an indicator, but full month comparison can be had from December sales. In October itself EON sales was reported as 6K+ which were deliveries to showrooms before booking, most of them will be actually sold by dealers in November, so November figures might be skewed.

The figure for 'new Swift' was easier to obtain as it is a news item. Since ALTO is an on-going sale, exact sales figures from the date of EON launch to end of month may not be available for outsiders.
viggienomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 10:50   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Eon fails to live up to predicted numbers!

"Hyundai's stylish Eon, which was expected to take on Maruti Suzuki's workhorse and largest selling car Alto, could not live up to pre-launch expectations. The company sold average 6,500-7,500 units of the small car per month, almost half of its own estimate of 12,000 units."

Car launches take a back seat on costlier fuel, high interest rates - The Economic Times
Old 1st December 2011, 11:17   #157
BHPian

I had argued in many threads that in the cut throat A segment initial cost and value for money are extremely important . People said , its worth its premium and should not be compared to Alto , its an Alto killer blah blah . The initial hype has not got converted in to sales . The report claims , 18000 units are wholesale sales and not actual sales .Each dealer has 30-45 car inventory. I was watching the ''overdrive'' car of the year episode where Vicky Chandhok was of the opinion that the car has poor NVH and the gear lever has massive problems staying in one place . If in the initial months after all the hype and hoopla it is struggling to sell 6k units per month [mind u these are wholesale figures] i am afraid tougher days lay ahead for Eon unless Hyundai does a price revision of at-least 20-30 k . Hyundai i10 , Beat , Spark ,Alto K10, Santro look great options with all the discounts available .Hyundai took the premium a bit too far and are paying a price for being too ambitious with the pricing in a day where Honda is resorting to price cuts to keep sales going.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 1st December 2011 at 11:20.
Old 7th December 2011, 21:59   #158
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Lpg Eon

Guys

Spotted this LPG EON on the Chennai-Bangalore highway today near Melvisharam. Hyundai is bent upon taking away sales from Maruti.

The Green Diamond shaped LPG sticker was removed from this test mule.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-eon-lpg.jpg  

MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 00:15   #159
BANNED

Good spotting there.

Hyundai seems to be outright desparate to steal the sales from Maruti.

Now that means the boot will be smaller to accomodate the change. Lets see what difference does the LPG variant get to the sales of the EON. Basically what could be the price for the LPG Vari8ant.
Old 8th December 2011, 02:51   #160
Senior - BHPian

Damn, those blower knobs look better than my 7 lakh rupee i-10 Asta !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I really think Hyundai should have gone for the 1.1L from the Santro. They would have 3 good options then. For the sporty more fun buyer, the Eon. The practical buyer would go for the Santro and the guy who wants a premium car would go for the 1.1L i10.
What they should do is provide 2 engine options like the Alto and i-10.

FE minded will go for the 3 pot and the sport minded will go for the 1.1

Either way, get rid of those unpleasant gear lever vibes please Hyundai !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So the ECU now has a hand in controlling the alternator field. Does it take over the job of the AVR, or does the AVR remain? How is the ign telltale wired? Who is the alternator vendor?
Yes, works just like AC cutoff at WOT. VR is meant to protect the battery, so I would imagine that it will remain.

Last edited by Mpower : 8th December 2011 at 19:12.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:30   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

What they should do is provide 2 engine options like the Alto and i-10.

FE minded will go for the 3 pot and the sport minded will go for the 1.1

Either way, get rid of those unpleasant gear lever vibes please Hyundai !!!
Yeah that would be a much better option. It's a fantastic city runabout but the engine just lacks the refinement and pep.

Also if Hyundai were really smart they would plonk the 1.1L engine in this and bring back the Santro AT gearbox. You would have the cheapest AT car in india and a hoot to drive around town.
Old 8th December 2011, 20:21   #162
BHPian

EON is already priced way beyond its rivals/competition, just reminding of a 800cc Daewoo Matiz.
But the latter was a way better with almost Nil vibes interfernce, Smooth power delivery, Super chill AC & above the competition features.

Adding a LPG kit into EON will raise its price to another step & power down by a step.
Who'll be interested to pay Rs.4 lacs for LPG EON, when they'll be getting 1.0 Beat TCDi diesel at 4.4 lacs only with more Power, Torque & efficiency.
Old 8th December 2011, 20:57   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Yes, works just like AC cutoff at WOT. VR is meant to protect the battery, so I would imagine that it will remain.
Normally, I'd expect it to be one of the 'intelligent regulators', one step above 'load response' regulators. But given the song and dance Hyundai is making about this, I'd like to know for sure. Esp. I'd like to know what happens if the wire from ECU to alternator is cut.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th December 2011, 18:40   #164
BHPian

Are there any ownership reviews of the Eon on this forum? I don't seem to find any member who has started a thread on the Eon ownership experience. If there are any, kindly post the link. Thanks.
Old 28th January 2012, 19:09   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Are there any ownership reviews of the Eon on this forum? I don't seem to find any member who has started a thread on the Eon ownership experience. If there are any, kindly post the link. Thanks.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...?highlight=eon

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...?highlight=eon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks