Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 15:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak

I'm trying my best. Have gone through 2 ownership threads of EON's ( there are only 2 ) and they've not clocked too many kms so far.

My friends owning hyundai cars swear by the reliability and maintenance so i guess i'll have to take a chance. Also i got to know that the service intervals are after every 15 K kms which was music to ears - so potentially i'll have to get the car serviced once a year or maybe once in 8-9 months.
Then you are misguided. Service interval is every 6 months or 5000 km whichever is earlier. And hyundai service is very expensive. For my i10 each paid service was about 4.5k so total of about 9k per year for just routine service. That's even more than many sedans.
I would also recommend the alto (k10/new one) instead of eon.
Old 20th October 2012, 00:38   #212
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Then you are misguided. Service interval is every 6 months or 5000 km whichever is earlier. And hyundai service is very expensive. For my i10 each paid service was about 4.5k so total of about 9k per year for just routine service. That's even more than many sedans.
I would also recommend the alto (k10/new one) instead of eon.
Hyundai service can be expensive if you agree to whatever the service advisors "suggest" you. If you are sharp, you can ask them to eliminate the "desirable" parts of the service and ask them only go ahead with the "essential" part of the service. Following this yardstick enabled me to pay only Rs 1000 for my i10's second service and Rs 2000 for the third service.

The service advisors suggested that I do fuel injector cleaning and an oil additive, none of which was required in a car which was less than 2 years ago and in excellent condition.

From my experience with Hyundai (i10) and Maruti (Alto 800), I have realized that both companies "advise" customers to opt for various additions to the service. All these additions add greatly to the service cost.

For example, I had taken my Alto for a service at 45,000kms last year and the Maruti service advisor suggested that I do an AC clean. He quote Rs 2500 for the job and I prompted turned it down.

If you agree to whatever the service advisor suggests, heck, even a Maruti 800 will end up with a huge service bill.
misquitas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 12:27   #213
BHPian

I have a friend who works as a service adviser in the local Hyundai dealership according to him everyone is given a daily target of Rs 5000 in VAS (value added services) like polishing, AC filter cleaning, Engine bay polishing etc. and they lie through their teeth to get it done. A normal paid service for a petrol i20 costs Rs 2800 if you know the service adviser or like misquitas said if you are sharp.

For the unsuspecting customer 3800+ is the minimum bill for a i10/i20 (petrol).
Old 20th October 2012, 12:43   #214
Senior - BHPian

^^
So how is a customer supposed to know what is essential and what is not?

I had the alto lxi earlier (we kept it for five years) and that cost us about 1400 for regular paid services.
Old 20th October 2012, 14:19   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Hyundai dealership.......according to him everyone is given a daily target of Rs 5000 in VAS (value added services) like polishing,
Which is this un-popular Hyundai dealer. Can you disclose. I know Some unpopular Maruti dealerships, which also resort to this kind of practice.
Old 20th October 2012, 22:18   #216
BHPian

Popular Hyundai Neeramankara, Trivandrum. The top management shouts and abuses the service advisers if they don't reach their daily 'target' so they try their best to con the **** out of customers.

Quote:
So how is a customer supposed to know what is essential and what is not
I will scan and post last service done to the i20, as I knew some of the guys they only charged for the essentials the bill came at 2800 something INR. May be some of you can just ask them to do nothing more this is the second paid service.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 22:49   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post

I will scan and post last service done to the i20, as I knew some of the guys they only charged for the essentials the bill came at 2800 something INR. May be some of you can just ask them to do nothing more this is the second paid service.
Well my argument is, for a regular uninformed customer its not easy to refute the SA. Most people dont understand/know what are the requirements of a particular service, especially paid services. Also there are case basis parameters as well. Your car would have been driven differently than mine, wear and tear might be different, manufacturing quality differences might be there etc etc. Its not so easy to generalize the "non essential" things. There could be a case for whatever the SA is suggesting and ignoring him could lead to issues later.

For my part, I think its best to rely on the expert (in this case the SA) about things that I do not understand much of myself. At best he'll fleece maybe a few hundred or a thousand but its more likely he will do a good job. In case I nitpick and cut his profit (as it is said, their target is that 5k figure), he "might" get miffed and not do a good work. Am not saying it will be like that but theres always a chance. Wouldnt want to take that chance with my car really.

Last edited by joslicx : 20th October 2012 at 22:51.
Old 20th October 2012, 22:55   #218
BHPian

What you don't realise is that all Hyundai dealerships have service checklists, you can find this in your owners manual as well, what to do for every 5000km service is written there and for a car without issues this is all that need to be done.

If the car develops a problem they have to fix it under warranty there is no need to polish your engine bay or clean your AC vents every 5000 KM.

The problem with many Hyundai dealerships are that after your 3rd free service they will start charging you exorbitantly and do things that are not necessary from the first paid service onwards, well this is unnecessary, if the car has any problem it should be covered under warranty at this point.

Last edited by quadbike : 20th October 2012 at 22:57.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:24   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Well my argument is, for a regular uninformed customer its not easy to refute the SA. Most people dont understand/know what are the requirements of a particular service, especially paid services. Also there are case basis parameters as well. Your car would have been driven differently than mine, wear and tear might be different, manufacturing quality differences might be there etc etc. Its not so easy to generalize the "non essential" things. There could be a case for whatever the SA is suggesting and ignoring him could lead to issues later.

For my part, I think its best to rely on the expert (in this case the SA) about things that I do not understand much of myself. At best he'll fleece maybe a few hundred or a thousand but its more likely he will do a good job. In case I nitpick and cut his profit (as it is said, their target is that 5k figure), he "might" get miffed and not do a good work. Am not saying it will be like that but theres always a chance. Wouldnt want to take that chance with my car really.

From my experience, the service advisor is NOT always an "expert" that I would trust. I have seen many of them across Maruti and Hyundai trying to suggest all sorts of additives, polishes and cleaning, most of which are not specified in the car's manual and hence, not "essential" for your car.

When in doubt, I would suggest you to do the following:

1. As soon as a sales advisor suggests a list of "suggested" items, please have them cross-checked with your car's user manual. For example, I don't recall seeing an "oil additive" mentioned in my i10 user manual.

2. If you are still in doubt, have these "suggestions" cross-checked with a former mechanic of the company. Many of them have left the company and have started garages/workshops of their own. I'd rather befriend them than a suspisious service advisor, who can only see your fat wallet or shining credit card. For example, I have recently befriended a former employee of Maruti/Hyundai, who has branched out to start a car-related business of his own. He admitted that service advisors have a huge target (and commission) on services and hence, the many "suggestions" to the customer. "In case, you are in any doubt regarding a service, please call me to cross check," was his request to me.

3. When in further doubt, do check up a website: www.team-bhp.com

4. As much as possible, avoid all these cosmetic/aesthetic additions, oil additives, and cleaning jobs, etc. at the company's authorised workshop. In most cases, they are not necessary and are not always vital to the car's performance. If you do need to opt for these jobs, do consider doing them elsewhere. For example, I never ask the Hyundai/Maruti to perform wheel alignment/balancing/rotation. I have found out that tyre companies do the same job much better and comparatively cheaper than the car's authorised dealer, at least, here in Goa.

5. In my opinion, politely declining the "suggestions" of the service advisor need not assume that the advisor will be upset with you. I have befriended the service advisors at my dealership's service centre and they have been honest with me so far. In return, I have been their repeated customer. In the end, given the competition between Maruti/Hyundai dealers, I guess the dealer is more interested in servicing your car to your satisfaction, rather than having to lose a repeat customer to a rival dealer.

But these are my views and you are free to differ with them.

Last edited by misquitas : 21st October 2012 at 03:42.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 18:33   #220
BHPian

Service interval of Eon.

Quote:
Service interval is every 6 months or 5000 km whichever is earlier.
I beg to disagree.The Hyundai Eon is one of the few Hyundais whose service interval is 1 year or 10,000 Km whichever comes earlier.Also please note unlike Maruti the first three free service intervals for eon are as follows
1. First free service - 1,200- 1,500 Kms or 2 months from delivery whichever is earlier
2. Second free service - 9000 -10,000 Kms or 12 month from date of delivery whichever is earlier
3.Third free service - 19,000 -20,000 or 24 months of delivery whichever is earlier.

Plus there is road side assistance 24X7 for warranty period bundled on purchasing Eon.
FrozeninTime is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 19:07   #221
Senior - BHPian

Guys also note that nowadays there are so many well known multi brand service outlets and hence you are not constrained to visit the *** after the free services unless these manufacturers forcibly void the warranty if this is done
Old 20th November 2012, 11:36   #222
Senior - BHPian

Hi All -

I booked a EON on 17th Nov and am expecting the delivery as soon as i get the number of my choice.

Car - Magna +

Color - Grey

My Query - The stock car comes with 155/60/13 and i want to upgrade it to Apollo amazer 165/70/13 with Plati alloys. I'm sure that this would affect the mileage however does anyone have a idea if it the tyres would hit the wheel arcs or not ( specially rear arcs ) ans i faced this problem with both my hatches ( Alto & Spark - after tyre upgrades ).

Very rarely would someone sit in EON on the rear seat so i'm game to take that risk and also as per many members the stock tyres don't do the job well hence this decision.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:00   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi All -

I booked a EON on 17th Nov and am expecting the delivery as soon as i get the number of my choice.

Car - Magna +

Color - Grey

My Query - The stock car comes with 155/60/13 and i want to upgrade it to Apollo amazer 165/70/13 with Plati alloys. I'm sure that this would affect the mileage however does anyone have a idea if it the tyres would hit the wheel arcs or not ( specially rear arcs ) ans i faced this problem with both my hatches ( Alto & Spark - after tyre upgrades ).

Very rarely would someone sit in EON on the rear seat so i'm game to take that risk and also as per many members the stock tyres don't do the job well hence this decision.
Got the Delivery of my car yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-img2012113000259.jpg  

harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 22:45   #224
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car harishnayak, reminds me of my dad's Eon - exact same colour, Dlite+ was the spec if I remember correctly. I haven't seen the car in 6 months or so, but last time when I was in Kerala, I really enjoyed driving it. From a driving pleasure point of view, there was not much between the little free revving petrol Eon and a Swift diesel. My daily runner is a petrol Honda Accord, so I love the responsiveness of petrol engines, and I think Eon is a great little car if you drive it like how it likes to be driven! Enjoy your new ride!
Old 15th December 2012, 01:12   #225
BHPian

I've been a Santro owner for the past 7 years, and test drove the Eon last week along with a friend. My observations compared to the Santro:

- Looks awesome! Santro looks ancient parked next to the Eon.

- Interiors are again awesome! Looks futuristic. Feels good to touch. Does not have the built-to-cost feel. (I felt the interiors were better than the Etios)

- Space is limited. I'm 6' tall and need to push the driver seat maximum backwards in the Santro, and had to do the same in the Eon as well. My 5'9" friend did not have enough leg room behind my driving position. The rear bench is wide enough for only 2.

- We test drove with 5 well sized adults on board. The car felt terribly underpowered. It just wouldn't accelerate. Maybe we were not doing justice by overloading the car, but still! My Santro never felt so lethargic.

- As GTO had mentioned, the gear lever keeps on vibrating like its got a seizure! (Reminded me of my friend's Polo 1.2)

- Braking felt inadequate. Maybe the thin tyres plus overloading being important factors. Braking from ~60 kmph required more pressure on the pedal than my Santro. Felt scary too.

My friend, the prospective customer and first time car buyer, was impressed! I guess its the looks that mattered to him most.

Would I recommend an Eon to anyone? Only if you're single or maximum just a couple, that too only for city run abouts.

Otherwise the Santro is any day a better deal, even though the Xing is getting a little too old. More space, more power, feels more complete. The price difference is barely 30k, and I think its money well spent. At 3.7 lac odd OTR, the mid variant of Eon is too overpriced for what it has to offer.

Just my 2 cents!
Geo_Ipe is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks