Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2011, 13:27   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
And it is really nice to see 'Rotary' air-con controls on a 3 Lac car.
Absolutely. The ones in the City feel so outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Is the sheet metal at par or worse (flimsier) when compared with the Alto?
Par, but still very light & flimsy.

Quote:
With the price cuts and beigified interiors of the Spark, aren't these points (quoted) obsolete now?
I still think the Spark's interiors are very dull. And the top-end Spark (without discounts) crosses over 4.xx lakhs which I think is a lot for the car. Sure, discounts are available, but they are not really consistent from buyer to buyer and deal to deal. Remember, not every Spark buyer gets a discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
I was wondering could not have Hyundai re-launched Santro as a more souped up version that would compete with Alto on price front albeit with more features?
Hyundai is following the Maruti strategy of offering more than 1 choice in the same segment. Maruti doesn't care about what 3 - 4 lakh hatchback you buy (Alto K10, Estilo, WagonR, A-Star) as long as its a Maruti.

Plus, the customer likes "fresh" modern products. The Santro isn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
GTO; can you also compare this with the Nano ? Would be helpful for first timers.
The Nano has more space than the Eon, no surprise as the Tata has no real boot for weekend luggage. But I don't see the Nano gaining brownie points in any other area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
I just used the Beat as an example .
Agreed. And the Beat would be my choice from the cars you listed. Great ride quality, very refined (idle is the most silent amongst hatchbacks), nice air-con too. And the Chevy doesn't feel "cheap" at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mist in wiper stalk is for those single wipes I guess?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
However, a query here, while you have mentioned that the rear visibility is good, at least the photo suggests a very restricted view unlike what can be seen in the IRVM of a Santro or i10
The rear view is not the best, but sufficient. I didn't face any problems at all in driving the Eon.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 16:39   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• Service intervals : 1st service is at 2 months / 1,500 kms. Thereafter, its every 12 months or 10,000 kms (whichever is earlier).

[/i]
Is it really 1 year / 10,000 kms like what Maruti has mentioned in their manuals? Or is it 6 months / 10,000 kms as in the case of say i10 and all.

My previous i10 1.1 had a 6 months / 10,000 kms schedule.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:25   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
Is it really 1 year / 10,000 kms
Yup, the Eon has a service interval of 12 months / 10,000 kms.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:30   #94
BANNED

In this picture "Large practical glovebox" (pic number 13) the compartment is too close to the door!

This shows the designing that went into making a small car. Lovely and compact! But wont that create a problem in the long run like touching the door or anything of such?
Old 26th October 2011, 17:39   #95
Team-BHP Support

Great review GTO!

I had a look at the Eon while I was out shopping at Forum Value Mall in Whitefield. And I began to make a few observations:

- The quality of plastics on the inside is average, or probably lower than average. My 8 year old Santro feels better on the inside, frankly. The interiors look great and very fresh, but let down by low quality.

- It doesn't feel very spacious. i would say it's just about as spacious as my Santro. The boot too, is pretty much similar, but you really need to lift your luggage off the ground thanks to the high loading bay.

- It's a pretty funky looking car. Looks large when viewed head-on, but oddly, looks minuscule, and almost nano-ish when you look at the rear. Very small windscreen at the back hampers visibility from inside the cabin.

- The passengers at the back might tend to feel a little claustrophobic. The window line sweeps upwards and cuts off sharply, and that's the culprit. The lack of rear leg room also fuels the claustrophobia.

- Gearbox feels almost identical to my Santro's.

- No dead-pedal, and the small foot-well makes the driving experience a little irritating. I need a dead pedal.

- It was the 'Magna' that was on display. And it didn't differ much from the variant below or above it. One of the differences was 'non-body-coloured door handles and ORVMs. I mean, really?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 12:36   #96
BHPian

GTO, Thanks for this review, the car does look miles ahead of its competitors, though as pointed out by you, it may not be the best to drive. I personally have driven Santro for many years, and was greatly impressed with the in-city driveability compared to M800, Wagon R, etc.

One question: is there no RPM indicator? The pictures don't show any, and I remember my Santro didn't have one either. How does one understand the RPM?
Old 27th October 2011, 15:02   #97
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for a fantistic review. This car is sure to attract a lot of entry level buyers
Old 27th October 2011, 16:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

I saw a couple of registered Eons (at Chennai and in Kerala) - so looks like the car has got a good initial reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
I too can't recall any other 3-pot Petrol from Hyundai. Though, they had a 3-pot Diesel before, the CRDi in the Accent, from Detroit Diesel.
Yeah, I should have mentioned as 1st Hyundai 3-pot petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
So I think the battle is between Alto K10 & EON. While the slightest of enthusiasts will go for the K10, the rest will drool over the Eon.
Indeed with the K10. The 800 Alto is priced much lower to be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
I had seen it in flesh on the highway couple of months back and then in this report, to be very honest one Hyundai actually looked pleasing to me.
The frontal and side looks are indeed good - the Fluidic design is appealing. The rear is a mess though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Yup, the Eon has a service interval of 12 months / 10,000 kms.
That is a good move to reduce service costs. I love the fact that our Marutis (except the old M800) have to visit the MASS only once in 10K kms. Ofcourse, the MASS always say, "But Sir, it is good to come every 5K kms". I am sure the HASS will also say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07
One question: is there no RPM indicator? The pictures don't show any, and I remember my Santro didn't have one either. How does one understand the RPM?
While good to have, I doubt this will be an issue for the common customer, though we would fret about lack of tachometer.
Old 27th October 2011, 18:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

Aah, the definitive team-bhp review is here again. Nice one GTO.

At first glance, this car appears to be Eons ahead of the Alto 800. Period. It is priced higher, but simply because it is a better car. It looks and feels way more contemporary and is supposedly more fuel efficient. The interiors make even bigger cars like the Liva look ancient. The dual tone door trims can give a Rs.1 million+ car like the Fiesta a massive inferiority complex!

Having checked out the car I have to say that the interior quality is not bad at all for a car of this size/price. The top end variant might have been more appealing had they given it ABS at current price levels. But hey, for that there is always the i10. It serves the purpose...affordable yet stylish city runabout that just happens to be fuel efficient as well. Ticks almost every box!
Old 28th October 2011, 22:42   #100
Senior - BHPian

Prices ex showroom Delhi -

Eon Era (PS + AC) - 3.15 lac
Alto Lxi (PS + AC) - 2.84 lac
Difference - 31k

Eon Dlite (o) (Only AC) - 2.92 lac
Alto Lx (Only AC) - 2.66 lac
Difference - 26k

Not sure what works for the Eon here. Just some curvy lines on the outside and the beige on the inside will make it a winner? IMO, the Alto should not be worried. A price difference of 30k is not warranted.

I also do not buy the logic of "see how Alto does better than the nano." The Alto:
  • Never suffered image issues like the Nano since the day it has been launched. Poor man's 1 lac car, target buyers = 2 wheeler owners who cannot afford a car etc etc. Bad marketing by Tata.
  • Is a proven product and the upkeep is very reasonable. Wonderful A$$ unlike Tata.
  • Was always "perceived" to be a normal car. Does not sound like an auto, has a real boot, neutral looks (some find the Nano cute whilst others call it a hideous egg), does not have an ugly, uncovered metal rod going across the passenger cabin, no fire controversies (the couple that did come up did not create the boo-haha like in the case of Nano). I mean, I know people who are scared to even install a basic music system (mp3 + 2 speakers) in the car fearing another case of spontaneous combustion.
  • All in all, Nano has a lot of baggage to shed. The Alto - clean as a whistle.
And what are you getting in the Eon over the Alto anyway:
  • Better interiors and exteriors
  • Left side ORVM
  • Body colored bumpers (Era vs lxi)
Now, if we were to consider point 1 above, the interiors that we are looking at are of the top specced Eon. I am not sure it will be similar in the Era version. Differences between the 2 variants:
  • No power windows
  • No front door armrest
  • No ICE
  • No Digital clock
  • No door trims
  • Some fabric stuff misiing from the seats
  • No "3 spoke steering wheel (A regular 2 spoke one instead)
  • No metallic finish on centre console or door handles.
NOW ...... imagine the Eon's interiors. I think I can safely assume, the interiors will not be as impressive in the above 2 versions as shown in the pics here (Beat base and LS vs Beat LT anyone?). No doubt the interiors should be better than Alto, but not Rs. 25 - 30k better.

Now here are a few kickers:
  • The dealers offer discounts upto 15k on the Alto without any bargaining (at least in Delhi). This includes an MP3 player with 2 speakers (nippon) + mats + mud flaps + cash discount of around 8k ish. Not sure if we will have any deals for Eon. The price difference just went up by that much.
  • Alto "Green" Lxi available @ 3.31 lac. In times like these where petrol prices are sky rocketing, this option of a factory fitted CNG might be considered by few, especially since the ex showroom difference is just about 15k as compared to Eon Era (not considering discounts etc).
  • Only real "feature" difference between the Eon Era and Alto Lxi is "body colored bumpers". I know it for a fact, you can have it done (for the Alto) at the showroom for around 5k. Cheaper, if you go to the local painter guy. The Left ORVM IIRC costs around 1k - 1.2k.
  • This is something I am unsure of but the Alto homepage says that the Alto is equipped with iCATS. Is this the "engine immobilizer" or the central locking? If its the latter, thats one place where the Alto trumps the Eon as far as the features go.
Not a very exciting launch from Hyundai IMO. This fluidic entry level hatch has been priced 25k too expensive.

Edit -

@GTO - Do we have any interior pics of the Eon Era?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 28th October 2011 at 22:51.
Old 29th October 2011, 08:58   #101
BHPian

GTO, Good review as usual.

Eon looks like it was derived from Kia Picanto which was also a sister of Hyundai Santro.

And Hyundai seems to be setting up a benchmark globally with their recent launches let it be design/quality. Had a look at a Hyundai Elantra (not in India) and just couldn't take my eyes out of it

Japanese and Germans are really on their toes to compete Koreans now. Good for we the CUSTOMER. TATA, you hear us?
Old 29th October 2011, 16:13   #102

While I am yet to TD the Eon, a friend of mine recently TD'd the Brio 7 the Eon back-to-back. In his words, the Eon "Feels like a tank!", referring not to the build quality, but the NVH!

On the other hand, Hyundai can use the excessive vibration as a marketing gimmick - Free Vibrating Massage every time you Drive!
Old 29th October 2011, 20:28   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Not sure what works for the Eon here. Just some curvy lines on the outside and the beige on the inside will make it a winner? IMO, the Alto should not be worried. A price difference of 30k is not warranted.
Well said. It's the novelty factor that may go in favour of Eon. Other things like initial cost, mileage, proven reliability,compactness and maneuverability for a new driver etc will go in favour of Alto. And we all know Hyundai cars are far behind their ARAI figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphavictor View Post
While I am yet to TD the Eon, a friend of mine recently TD'd the Brio 7 the Eon back-to-back. In his words, the Eon "Feels like a tank!", referring not to the build quality, but the NVH!

On the other hand, Hyundai can use the excessive vibration as a marketing gimmick - Free Vibrating Massage every time you Drive!
Is Eon that much a 'vibrator'?
Old 30th October 2011, 12:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
And we all know Hyundai cars are far behind their ARAI figures.
Care to elaborate more with details? Is ARAI the culprit or Hyundai? Or the driver's driving style or habits?
Old 30th October 2011, 12:57   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be unfair to place a wheel cap less dull metallic Alto alongside a WHITE Eon Sportz for comparison.A white Alto with body colour bumpers and a good set of wheel caps looks equally stunning

Hyundais(save the rodent like old Santro) are known to give you good looking interiors ; and the Eon is no exception.Alto is leagues behind on this front

Overall,I believe the Alto would hold its ground because of its straightforward design ,easy maintenance and cheap spares ; and the Eon would come nowhere near these three.

Maruti , wake up and do a 1999

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks