Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 18:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

I somehow get a feeling that this car would be considerably more expensive to maintain (high costs of spare parts) compared to Alto and that is one very important factor for budget/first time car buyers. It would be interesting to see the market response in the coming months.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:24   #17
BHPian

I must say Hyundai has done a commendable job. The small touches in the interiors and attention to cabin layout is evident:

Lots of storage area in the cabin
Music system has USB port
Nice looking chunky steering wheel
Steering wheel tilt adjustment
Rear seatblet knuckle holders
Floor mat hooks
Additional storage space on dashboard
Special storage area for cell phone
Door bottle holders large enough to hold 1 litre bottles

Many of these features are not available in cars even 2 levels up.

However, the engine seems to be a bit of a disappointment. Also, the pricing for the top end version seems to be a bit off.

It bound to put 1st time car buyers (or second car purchase decisions) in a quandary.

If only they come up with a car that has
Nano's pricing
Eon's interiors
Alto's spare parts cost
Alto K10's engine
Old 24th October 2011, 18:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great review rush!

The moment I drove it early this month at ludhiana, I was impressed by the all roundedness of this micro hatchback. But somehow the price is about 15K too high. There comes the question of buying this or a discounted i10 1.1 era.
As the santro is only now too dated, hyundai can give the option of a 1.1 to keep a strong sales target. The market is still in a recession mode and the initial response to the eon is just about average.

The problem may also lie in maintenance costs. The spares are reasonable, but the labour rates can make you bankrupt.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:35   #19
BHPian

I'm amazed with the interiors. They look way better in pictures than Alto, Santro and Spark.

If this is not the Alto killer then what is?
Old 24th October 2011, 18:46   #20
BHPian

Here is a car manufacturer who really is taking the competition to a whole different level rather than running behind other competitors for a bite of the pie.
Hyundai has shown an impeccable talent in keeping an eye for details
For e.g., see the curvy chrome lining on the front grille, the integrated spoiler (across all variants), the sturdy looking antenna, the seat belt holders for the rear seats, the integrated rear head rests (the one in the Figo is a joke), the idol positioner etc. It clearly shows they have taken time and wanted their product to be almost perfect rather than churn out a half-baked attempt

Hyundai has reached a level where they almost can't put a wrong foot forward when it comes to delivering a quality product across segments. They have their styling, interior quality, fit & finish, ergnomics, engines (excellent petrol and diesel versions) in hand. All they need to work on now is in the handling and dynamics department. Thats the only place where they need to improve, IMO. I feel really bad when I see the new Verna on the road, it looks like it handles like a bimmer, killer stance and looks, but alas, if only that was true!

Kudos to Hyundai for their efforts so far. They are playing their game just like it how it should be!
Really neat review as well.
Cheers!
Old 24th October 2011, 18:54   #21
BHPian

As usual a great review. Even with a higher price tag than Alto, Eon should eat up a good part of Alto market share. I believe the car could have been priced some 10% lesser.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:57   #22
BHPian

Great review, GTO. What interiors for a entry level car! The rear however, is a bit clumsy. Now only if we can have the 1.1L mill from the Santro. Lets see how it fares in the market.
One correction, in the competition section, the Alto snap needs to be changed.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 19:02   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Wouldn't Chevy Spark be a better alternative to EON? Both are priced neck to neck.
I'd say the Santro is a better alternative, even to the Spark. It's old yes, but still very competent as an entry-level hatchback. I'm the kind of a guy who goes by the engine over anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Most variants are expensive compared to Alto (both 800cc & K10).
The Eon is superior to the Alto in nearly every way. Yes, it's priced higher than the Alto, but makes the Alto look overpriced. See what you are getting for the money....the differential value is in the Eon's favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Don't understand the concept of providing driver side airbag alone.
True. Would much rather Hyundai gave ABS to the Sportz variant instead of the airbag. Would be cheaper too!

Quote:
Performance of the Eon is no where close to the Alto
The Eon is quicker than the regular Alto. However, the Alto K10 is king of the hill in the segment. The K10 is like the muscle car of the 3 lakh segment . Driven one? It'll prove that you don't need to spend money to have fun. I LOVE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
I somehow get a feeling that this car would be considerably more expensive to maintain (high costs of spare parts)
True, if history is anything to go by. That's the reason behind point no.5 in the "What you won't like" list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I must say Hyundai has done a commendable job. The small touches in the interiors and attention to cabin layout is evident
Honestly, the interiors blew me away. They simply do not feel like that of a car starting at 2.7 lakhs. Tata & Maruti better sign up for classes in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
But somehow the price is about 15K too high.
15K doesn't make a difference. Else, the 800 & Nano would be outselling the more expensive Alto. This segment also wants quality. The first-time car buyer may not have much money, but his aspirations are very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
If this is not the Alto killer then what is?
I wouldn't call it the Alto killer, simply because of Maruti's reach & marketing strength. It will dent the Alto for sure, but not kill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Here is a car manufacturer who really is taking the competition to a whole different level rather than running behind other competitors for a bite of the pie.
So true. The i10, i20, Verna and the Eon now have the best-in-class overall quality. And I'm not talking just about the interiors.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 19:29   #24
BHPian

Some say if its vehicle review it has to be from Team Bhp . Brilliant review .
To add , one thing which I noticed was the cramped rear seat . When me and my friend a test drive on Saturday , we found it to be very less than that we expected from the size of the car . Looks like the boot space did eat up the rear leg room .

My friend was looking for a small hatch within 3.5 -- 3.75 Lakhs and he was about to book this car . However from what I know about him he would never enjoy driving around this car as it lacks the power and a strong suspension for his kind of driving . Well no offence I meant to any Eon owners or prospectus owners , its just that for his sprinted driving he should go for an Alto K10 .
I would request GTO to share if you have a better option or would Eon be good enough ?
Old 24th October 2011, 19:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review as always. I have a question though
1. How does it feel as far as safety is concerned compared to the competition?

I also feel that Chevvy Spark is very underrated car. Apart from interiors & exterior look, it has the Hyundai covered be it safety, performance, ride & handling, engine or refinement. So applying the same differential value logic, the Spark is still a mighty fine deal, especially with the discounts on offer.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the great review GTO.

And good show Hyundai. I'm very impressed by quality interiors. Though the pricing of the top variants could have been a little lower.

Quote:
Keyless entry on the Sportz variant. Spare is a regular (non-remote) key though:
Wow! I din't expect the key for Eon to be so good. That's a sure plus point.

Wish it had come with a better engine. A 4 cylinder iRDE2 or 3 pot Kappa would have been better. The performance would have been great and the FE wouldn't have been too different in real world. IIRC, this is Hyundai' first 3 pot Petrol engine. Looks like they will need some more time to crack it.

Also, Hyundai should have given more cabin space at the expense of the boot. That said, there is a shock factor when one opens the boot. Quite big for a car of this size.

Edit: GTO, do you have interior pictures of the lower variants?

Last edited by deetjohn : 24th October 2011 at 19:42. Reason: Adding a sentence
Old 24th October 2011, 19:49   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Some say if its vehicle review it has to be from Team Bhp . Brilliant review .
Many thanks. We realise the responsibility carried on our shoulders and thus, ensure that each car is viewed through the honest eyes of a potential customer.

Quote:
To add , one thing which I noticed was the cramped rear seat .
It's better than direct competitors and thus, exceeds the segment average.

Quote:
I would request GTO to share if you have a better option
No ways, the Eon is NOT fun to drive at all. Either the Alto K10 (power) or the Spark (very balanced road manners) for your friend. Personally, I think the Spark is like an overgrown go-kart and can be a lot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How does it feel as far as safety is concerned compared to the competition?
Well, it is the most contemporary and Hyundai is a responsible manufacturer. I wouldn't have any apprehensions over the Eon's safety.

Quote:
I also feel that Chevvy Spark is very underrated car.
Agreed, that's why my Bhabhi drives one (on my recommendation). 3 years up and it still feels well built. No squeaks, no rattles, no loose bits and decent refinement too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! I din't expect the key for Eon to be so good. That's a sure plus point.
There are many more "feel good" factors in the Eon.

Quote:
Wish it had come with a better engine. A 4 cylinder iRDE2
As I stated in my review, if the Eon had the Santro's 1.1L, it would be a no-brainer buy.

Quote:
GTO, do you have interior pictures of the lower variants?
Sorry, none available over our drive. However, this useful thread & excellent review has the pictures you are looking for.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2011 at 19:51.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:56   #28
BHPian

Great review, as always.

One small quibble though. My Alto 800 does have two trip meters. Pressing that stalk twice will get to meter B. Sorry if you meant something else.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am sure it is going to be a star in the urban market. If I10 is anything to go by, this is a mini I10.
I personally feel EON is worth the premium over Alto. And with 15K premium over Alto you can get more space, more power, better looks & light years better interior design & quality. What else do you want?
Old 24th October 2011, 20:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Great review, GTO. I feel that Hyundai has reserved plonking the iRDE unit into the Eon for a later iteration; may be Eon Zing. Space: I think Indians can get comfy anywhere. I have done the Tirupathi run from Chennai with 5 members on board with luggage and going up the ghat road at night was a breeze, I don't think Eon can 'better' that. To top it I had retrofitted a 507 Sanden Vikas a/c compressor to the M800, which placed a huge load on the engine; obviously had switched off the a/c for the ghat section.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 24th October 2011 at 20:27.

Most Viewed