Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 20:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Will the higher end Eon sell at Rs.3.75 lakh? If it is ex-showroom price, then on road it will be at least around Rs.4.3L to Rs.4.5L.

Anyone willing to enjoy all those gizmos with a puny engine? They can easily move over to i10 or WagonR.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:44   #32
BHPian

Great review as usual! I can see Hyundai reusing a few components from Santro parts bin like Gear lever, pedals, Handbrake lever. Lets hope the plan to reuse that 1.1 IRDE as well here.
Also, I do not see a dead pedal. A first for a Hyundai? GTO! How did you find the ac capability and the load on the engine?
Old 24th October 2011, 20:45   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

Added this point to the engine post:

Quote:
The upper variants of the Eon are also equipped with an Alternator Management System (AMS). What the AMS basically does is, it cuts off power supply to the alternator during acceleration. Thus, all engine power is used for accelerating only. However, during deceleration & idling, there is loss of power and the AMS uses this power to charge the battery. By doing so, Hyundai claims that battery life is extended, and there is improvement in fuel efficiency too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
My Alto 800 does have two trip meters.
Many thanks for pointing the error out. On my way to correcting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I personally feel EON is worth the premium over Alto. And with 15K premium over Alto you can get more space, more power, better looks & light years better interior design & quality. What else do you want?
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
Will the higher end Eon sell at Rs.3.75 lakh? If it is ex-showroom price, then on road it will be at least around Rs.4.3L to Rs.4.5L.

Anyone willing to enjoy all those gizmos with a puny engine? They can easily move over to i10 or WagonR.
True. The top variant is way overpriced.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:53   #34
BHPian

As always, great review, GTO

Very good car for the price range, even given the obvious drawbacks.

Hyundai seems to have played all the right cards in this one. But don't forget the 800 replacement which is on way, whose higher options could compete in this space. Maruti will not go down without a fair fight.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:15   #35
BHPian

Great Review, GTO!

I think Hyundai top guys have their heart and brain at the right places. They seem to create cars that tend to please the masses. Enthusiasts may not be happy, but they are a true minority.

I am sure Eon will set the coffers ringing for Hyundai, and I'd really expect Maruti to gear up and bring contemporary products all across their product lines. Hyundai should avoid 'Swift' like waiting times.

As you mentioned, eon means eternity, and I hope this does not become the subject of tons of jokes regarding the waiting time - They should've called in iON or ION, because:
1. They have a campaign called India ON!
2. They have a traditional i series (iON would have seemed in place with i10, i20 better than eon)
3. ION also means charged up (better connotation than eon)

Anyway, it is their baby, and their right to name

Loved the review, and 5*

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 24th October 2011 at 21:19.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 21:22   #36
BHPian

Suzuki have done wonders with the basics. We realize this today. A 3cylinder engine in the K10 or the F8, no one made the complaint about NVH on day1. The performance and fun to drive factor is still with the K10 and F8, these are basics that a car should have.

No doubt EON will get many customers who prefer better interiors etc the altok10 with about 30k discount is still the pocket rocket for first time buyers who are below the age of 30.

The wheelcaps of the EON are simply awesome. Very Very Good job hyundai!!
Old 24th October 2011, 21:22   #37
BHPian

I test drove EON yesterday and came back mighty impressed. The first thing I noticed is the 'big car' feel inside. The car is well built and planted on the road. At a speed of 120, I did not expect the car to behave so well. And as everybody said the interiors are just too good for a car from this segment. But the car had couple of negatives though:

1. The gear lever - Its not just the vibration which is annoying as GTO mentioned. But the gear stick literally 'moves along' when you press the clutch. I asked the sales guy if it was just with this car. He said all eons are like that. And he even tried justifying '800cc car ella ange baradhu sir' (all 800cc cars are like that only sir). I own an M800 and have done 83000 kms all by myself. I have never seen this in my car.

2. Rear seat - So cramped. Its more of a design issue than a drawback in itself. The front seat has so much of travel that the rear passenger would need to squat on the bench to sit. Hyundai should have reduced the front seat travel to some sane levels.

3. Boot - The boot is big alright. But the utility is questionable. it just 'looks' big. The slanted rear seat takes so much of useful space in the boot that you cant push your luggage to the corner. you can possibly chuck/force a back pack to the corner but not a hard luggage like a suitcase:
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-hyundaieon26.jpg  

Last edited by veyron_head : 24th October 2011 at 21:26.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 21:28   #38
BHPian

Very nice review GTO. Rated five stars as usual. Had a chance to check out the Eon at the so called "Hindu Auto Expo". The interior fit and finish as well as quality is leagues ahead of Alto. I'm sure the Eon will do well just because of this

The Eon and the i10 were kept side to side and to be frank, both looked very much similar and won't be surprised if Eon cannibalizes the i10 - especially with people who do not do a TD and check out the major differences. A commendable effort by Hyundai.

Last edited by chennai-indian : 24th October 2011 at 21:35.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:28   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Another super review ! 5 Stars once again!

It's kinda become that Hyundai's USP is it's mind blowing interiors. And even the cheapest car from their stable looks MUCH RICHER than many of the rival products, from segments higher even.

I read somewhere that this car costs just 1.5L to manufacture ! So how much is the margin on the base variant? Guess Hyundai wanted to get rich with this launch than killing the competition. Even if they manage a 5K sales figures a month, they are going to have a GALA time.

If this car costs just 1.5L to produce, how much does Alto actually cost??!
Old 24th October 2011, 22:40   #40
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review GTO.
Seen the car physically and as said in the review the car looks "latest" and better than Alto - its direct competitor.

Always felt brake and clutch pedals are not positioned comfortably in Santro (the angle). Even I had the feeling in I-10. How was it in Eon.

The entry level does not come with either AC and PS. Will there be any takers?.

One of Hyundai employee stays in my apartment and his comment was " highly priced" and "the decision was influenced by Hyundai's head office at Delhi".
Old 24th October 2011, 22:47   #41
BHPian

Was eagerly awaiting this.

Especially coz of GTO style review & the Eon really has my interest piqued.

I intend to watch it closely before making my decision by Q2 2012.

Hyundai seem to have made a good car.
But will it result in mass numbers?

I think its nicely positioned, priced and seems like you do get the equivalent of what you are paying - if not more.

Given the 5 digit consistent sales figures for the Alto - surely Eon should be able to put some dent in that.

They have about 6 months. Till the Nano diesel comes into the picture (same price range - but cheaper fuel alternative).

If Eon establishes itself by then - the Nano will take another beating.
Or we will once again have a nice competitive market.

Thanks GTO for the review.
Excellent once again.
Old 24th October 2011, 22:48   #42
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic detailed review! Thanks!

This car would prove to be a worthy competitor to Alto. Unless Maruti does something soon for the age-old Alto, I won't be surprised that this car eats into a significant volume of Alto's current sales.

Besides Alto, the car has potential to take on multiple models from different segments, including those of Hyundai itself.

As GTO keeps on mentioning, god bless competition. Once buyers get spoilt by such a offering in this segment, it is bound to have a cascading effect on other segments. A lot of manufacturers might have to rethink (jazz-up/reprice) their bare-bone models, even in other segments.

PS: On a less serious note: GTO doing a review for a Hyundai car, Wow! Hyundai, take a bow!

Last edited by SDP : 24th October 2011 at 22:49.
Old 24th October 2011, 22:57   #43
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review, Rush. Loved the level of detail covered.

I went and checked out the Eon a couple of times and was mildly impressed with the car.

As GTO mentioned there was no sign of real cost cutting for a car priced at the lowest end of the spectrum. The interiors were good, part that looked that it would fall off or break within a few days. The design was contemporary and not ancient as in the Toyota Liva.

I found the sportz variant priced too high. 4.56L on road bangalore. For that the i10 1.1 is a way better option or even the A-star.

The Magna and Magna (O) are identical except the Magna (O) has an audio system and rear parcel tray for 12K more than the Magna. The Magna is priced at 4.14L and Magna (O) at 4.26L.

The sportz adds keyless entry, driver airbag, front fog lamps and body coloured mirrors and door handles for 30K more than Magna (O).

Instead of an Alto K10 LXi I would easily spend a few K more and go for the Eon. The engine may not be as powerful but in that segment power is not a factor.

I bought an Alto 800 LXi in 2005 only because that was the only car in my budget. I picked it up without a TD as there was no other option. If I were in the same position today my money would probably go to a hyundai dealer for the Eon.

The Santro is a better car but it's old now and I can never drive a Santro as the pedals are placed too awkwardly and seats don't go all the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Wow! I din't expect the key for Eon to be so good. That's a sure plus point.
Sadly only the sportz variant has this type of key with remote lock.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:26   #44
BHPian

Great review GTO! once again.
I personally am not a big fan of either car but everyone seems to like the new Hyundai design philosophy of too many creases in the body work.

The important question though is whether the current "budget" segment ready for the "premium" that Hyundai is asking for?
Old 24th October 2011, 23:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The upper variants of the Eon are also equipped with an Alternator Management System (AMS). What the AMS basically does is, it cuts off power supply to the alternator during acceleration.
So the ECU now has a hand in controlling the alternator field. Does it take over the job of the AVR, or does the AVR remain? How is the ign telltale wired? Who is the alternator vendor?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed