Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 13:31   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why blame the front seat travel? The car manufacturer is giving you the CHOICE. It's better than other cars where 6 footers cannot fit in, even if there is no one on the back seat. If you have a problem with the seat travel range, well, don't take it all the way back.
The travel looked too much for even for a 6 footer. A friend who drove along is close to 6 (5'11) and he felt the same too.

Last edited by veyron_head : 25th October 2011 at 13:47.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
I had gone to Hyundai showroom 2 days back to book a car( and got pissed off by their behaviour) and the sales people told me that GL+ model is not available right now as a new model of santro is being planned for launch in Feb'12.
Hyundai is the master of rehashing variants. There is no consistency with features and/ or variant names. They keep changing from time to time.

Did you check on the availability of the Eon? Any waiting period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
If I am right, this is the 1st 3-pot engine in India from Hyundai.
I too can't recall any other 3-pot Petrol from Hyundai. Though, they had a 3-pot Diesel before, the CRDi in the Accent, from Detroit Diesel.

True, the real world FE will be very critical for Eon to succeed in the market.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Did you check on the availability of the Eon? Any waiting period?

Could not. The reception was horrible- A/C not working. The person concerned comes a good 15 mins later we visited the Showroom and jumped straight to financials. Hyundai's loss was Chevy's gain. Booked a Racing Red Chevy Beat petrol LS instead
Old 25th October 2011, 15:01   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

I respect how Hyundai has transformed themselves over the past decade. Such a car would not have been conceivable as a Hyundai product 10 years ago.

Great car, great effort by Hyundai, and I would not want to be the competition currently!
Old 25th October 2011, 15:24   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
The travel looked too much for even for a 6 footer. A friend who drove along is close to 6 (5'11) and he felt the same too.
I checked it with a 6 footer plus with me ( think he is 6' 3") . When he sat in the drivers seat with it pulled the whole way back, I wasnt comfortable sittin behind him in the rear seat. He then adjusted the seat to the best he can tolerate and in this position I wasnt complaining much.

Wish it has been priced 20k lower so that the price for Sportz comes below 4lac ( its costs 4.13OTR at Trivandrum and 3.85OTR for Magna IRC).

The boot is unbelievability big but sad about the open body part! And the plastic enclosure of the boot felt like it might rattle.

GTO; can you also compare this with the Nano ? Would be helpful for first timers.

Last edited by jkdas : 25th October 2011 at 15:27.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:43   #81
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice crisk review GTO,

Eon will do well and will for the first time bring in some competition to the Maruti.

Hyundai could have done better but it is to me clearly the best car in it's segment now. All the rest are to say the least DATED.

One can ofcourse pump in a bit more and get even better value a segment higher but at this price point - expecially for the two lower spec models there is nothing better.
Old 25th October 2011, 16:10   #82
BHPian

Great review GTO. Excellent effort by Hyundai. Looks like a light year ahead of the alto!
I feel like buying this just to keep it in the garage, nice cute car.
Old 25th October 2011, 17:14   #83
BHPian

Light weight, FE 3 Cyl engine, good ergonomics and a good balance of Interior packaging (space vs boot). Seems that Koreans are extremely close to Japs.

I think Hyundai's manufacturing plant allows Airbags integration cheaper than ABS. Look at all Sports variants in all the other products.

Thank you GTO for sharing such a great review (again!).
Old 25th October 2011, 19:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

The Alto drives like a gem and has better fuel efficiency in actual usage than the Santro, which is one of the primary weak points of the latter. Hyundai desperately needed a car with the styling and matching, if not bettering, FE figures, because that is what 90% Indian customer wants first and foremost, especially true for this bread and butter segment.

I sincerely hope that the Eon will deliver on that front not barring the iffy gearshift.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th October 2011 at 20:00.
Old 25th October 2011, 21:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I personally feel EON is worth the premium over Alto. And with 15K premium over Alto you can get more space, more power, better looks & light years better interior design & quality. What else do you want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Today I was looking at the prices and the feature list of EON vs ALTO carefully and I found out that the price difference is not 15K. It is roughly around 30K.
Alto LXI costs around 2.85L. EON era that comes with both AC & Power steering costs around 3.15L. It has only 2 conspicuous features in addition to the LXi. Body coloured Bumpers & passenger side mirror. Well for me 30K is still a reasonable price to pay.

Then I happened to look at the Alto K10 prices and I was surprised to find its VXi variant at 3.2L. And it offers a lot more. In addition to EON era It provides front power windows, central locking, fog lamps & the priceless tachometer. Leaving aside the reasonable driving dynamics of K10 & the superior power delivery there is also a promise of low cost of ownership.
So I think the battle is between Alto K10 & EON. While the slightest of enthusiasts will go for the K10, the rest will drool over the Eon.

The Alto LXi with the ongoing discounts should be cheaper by approx 40K on road than the EON Era. Now that is a lot for those who are already stretching to get the LXi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Could not. The reception was horrible- A/C not working. The person concerned comes a good 15 mins later we visited the Showroom and jumped straight to financials. Hyundai's loss was Chevy's gain. Booked a Racing Red Chevy Beat petrol LS instead
I too had a feeling there will be some cross shopping between Beat & EON. Both of them have same USP. Concept like styling, brilliant packaging & interior design, Value for money. Although none of them are for enthusiasts. After having Owned a Beat for 1.5 years I can Vouch for Its built quality. It is miles ahead of the flimsy EON. + You get a 1.2L engine to complement. A good choice for someone who is able to stretch a bit even more.

Last edited by oxyzen : 25th October 2011 at 21:50.
Old 25th October 2011, 22:54   #86
BHPian

Fantastic review GTO as usual .Rating it 5 stars .Now a small query

You said how Alto looks overpriced when u see what you are getting with Eon .
I agree with it but if look at Eon with same perspective..

Now if you use the same analogy and compare a Chevrolet Beat base model ,
which is available with 20k flat discount plus freebies and additional discounts
offered by dealers i am afraid Eon looks clearly overpriced . Beat is a bigger better B
segment car with a four cylinder engine producing 80PS power with much better
NVH, ride and handling ,and better image .Now the price difference between an
Eon Magna and Beat P.S[which are similarly specced] is 20k ex showroom but the Beat is available with a 20k flat discount plus additional freebies and dealer discounts as i have already mentioned.BHpian Adg_Andy has already said in a few posts above that he booked a Beat over the Eon.

I just used the Beat as an example . Now Zen Estilo , Spark ,even the old horse
Santro as you yourself have mentioned , look much more value for money .

I just feel a vibrating Gear lever can be annoying irritant inside the city where
you spend most of the time changing gears in heavy traffic . Hyundai have
pitted this car squarely against the Alto thinking people will buy this one
cos of its better interiors , looks and premium feel , but this car price-wise has
landed bang in the middle of base versions of Beat, Figo,and also Estilo , Santro , Spark .
People have plenty of choices in and around this price . Hyundai have missed a trick as
you yourself have mentioned , by not launching this car with a 4 cylinder engine cos this move
can be the difference between a car which could have dethroned Alto and a car which sells in good numbers but no way near the Segment king Alto .

P.S : The actual difference between Alto and Eon after all the discounts on road is
40-50k and the market will decide whether its worth it .

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 25th October 2011 at 23:17.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 23:44   #87
Team-BHP Support

At this price?! Just simply blows the competition away. I had seen it in flesh on the highway couple of months back and then in this report, to be very honest one Hyundai actually looked pleasing to me.

Mist in wiper stalk is for those single wipes I guess?

Excellent review GTO.
Old 25th October 2011, 23:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I too had a feeling there will be some cross shopping between Beat & EON. Both of them have same USP. Concept like styling, brilliant packaging & interior design, Value for money. Although none of them are for enthusiasts. After having Owned a Beat for 1.5 years I can Vouch for Its built quality. It is miles ahead of the flimsy EON. + You get a 1.2L engine to complement. A good choice for someone who is able to stretch a bit even more.
I don't know but I'm not sure if folks shopping for a Beat would consider the Eon since the Beat is more in the league of an i10(A2 segment) and the Eon is more in the league of an Alto/A-Star/Wagon-R/Spark (A1 segment) in terms of engine capacity, interiors, features, price etc.

I also feel that the Beat would be a better choice over the Eon especially as an only car. The rear bench and the greater engine capacity of the Beat would be two very important differentiators to consider. With the decrease in efficiency over time, 800cc engines just don't seem to give decent AC cooling and performance over the years. Also, in today's times of greater affordability, it would be wise to look for something beyond a maruti 800 sized car.
Old 26th October 2011, 00:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

I agree with needforspeed to certain extent. People generally come to a showroom and then get impressed by the higher end variants. Then they stretch their budget. And with that they reach the top end. Now in case of EON, reaching the top end is a bad thing. That is because there are a lot of choices available in that price range. You are right Magna & Beat LS (not PS) are similarly spec-ed. And the Beat offers a lot more. On road pricing isnt much different too.
so IMHO the Era should have been a highest variant. You might wanna debate saying whats the harm in providing more choices to customers, but it can have a psychological effect. Upgrade & then switch to somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
I don't know but I'm not sure if folks shopping for a Beat would consider the Eon since the Beat is more in the league of an i10(A2 segment) and the Eon is more in the league of an Alto/A-Star/Wagon-R/Spark (A1 segment) in terms of engine capacity, interiors, features, price etc.
I think it is the pricing that determines the segment (from a customer's POV). There is an overlap between Beat & Eon's pricing. So someone looking for Eon (higher variant) will definitely look at Beat for once. Although no Beat aspirant would wanna downgrade to EON.
Old 26th October 2011, 08:59   #90
BHPian

GTO, as always a brilliant review! However, a query here, while you have mentioned that the rear visibility is good, at least the photo suggests a very restricted view unlike what can be seen in the IRVM of a Santro or i10, is the hatch glass significantly smaller in the Eon?

Most Viewed