Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 19:45   #286
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

If I am in the market to buy my first manual car (not used or preowned) then would Hyundai Eon (Airbag model) be a good choice over the Maruti Alto 800 ?
I am not an enthusiast and don't care about FTD factors. Planning to buy for commuting purpose only and usage per month will be pretty limited.
Also i do not know how to drive, so I will either learn driving and then buy or buy and then with the help of my brother, will learn driving at late nights or very early mornings.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:08   #287
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a query about the warning lights that should/shouldn't be illuminated at the time of ignition.

When I took the delivery of my Eon about 2 months ago, I noticed that on setting the key to the ON position, all the warning lights would illuminate for about 5-6 seconds and then go away. Following that I would crank the ignition.

Now, after the first service, I notice that the warning lights remain illuminated until I actually start the car. They don't go away in 5-6 seconds as they used to.

What's the right scenario for the warning lights here? Is either a cause for concern. I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:10   #288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Now, after the first service, I notice that the warning lights remain illuminated until I actually start the car. They don't go away in 5-6 seconds as they used to.

What's the right scenario for the warning lights here? Is either a cause for concern. I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts.
Simple question to you, do the lights remain ON after cranking the engine?

If yes, then you need to worry else relax.

BTW, what all warning lamps stay ON after the ignition is turned ON? Can you post a picture?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:17   #289
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon - warning lights at ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Simple question to you, do the lights remain ON after cranking the engine?

If yes, then you need to worry else relax.

BTW, what all warning lamps stay ON after the ignition is turned ON? Can you post a picture?

Anurag.
No, the lights don't stay on after ignition. I can only remember the EPS light remaining on after cranking the ignition for only about 3-4 seconds.

Phew! Good to know I don't have a problem. I only wonder why the lights behaved differently though.
Old 22nd August 2014, 01:09   #290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Hi guys,

Warning lamps for certain systems - like the charging system, engine oil, etc. should stay ON until the engine is started. That is expected behaviour. To be more specific, the charging system detects a flow of current IN to the battery to turn off the warning light. When current flows OUT of the battery, the light stays on.

In the other example, the engine oil warning lamp will turn off only after the engine starts and the oil pump circulates oil, and after the correct oil level / pressure is detected.

Certain other systems can be checked and confirmed without the engine running, and those warning lights might be turning off a few seconds later, even without starting the engine.

So, nothing to worry.

By the way, behaviour of each one of these warning lamps is explained in the manual. Let us know if you have trouble finding it - will share the page number.

Question - Exactly which variant of the EON comes equipped with the Alternator Management System (AMS)?

Also, has anyone experienced it? Do you feel the alternator engaging and disengaging?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd August 2014 at 08:03. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts
sdmn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 22:21   #291
Senior - BHPian

Put the car through its paces over a long drive to Mekedaatu. It returned a phenomenal mileage of 19KMPL. But strangely, when fully laden with four people and luggage it manages just about 12KMPL. Not consistent like Alto in this department, though I think it's Eons ahead in terms of looks and interiors.

The wheelbase it too low for our roads with the car scraping each one of them, if not taken sideways. Hyundai should definitely address this in V2. It can cruise comfortable between 80 and 90 KMPH, but more than that is not confidence inspiring so am not pushing it. The gear lever doesnt vibrate at any speed, though it feels like you are tugging on on a cable while engaging it.

There is an odd space in front of the gear shift for knick knacks. You cant place cups nor bottles there. Truly odd, so that space is reserved for my cellphone. A waste of space if you ask me. Hyundai please note.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-tbhp-eon.jpg  

Old 7th December 2014, 00:00   #292
BANNED

New 165/65 R13 Michelin Energy XM2 tires (upgraded from 145/80R12 Apollo Milaze stock tires) along with new red GTR alloys! The tires and wheels were bought, as well as the work carried out at Tyre Empire, Whitefield (Bangalore). The work was very professionally carried out, and supervised by Mr.Gopi. Overall cost after buyback of old wheels and tires, Rs.31000.

Pothole and speed bump treatment has considerably improved.

Cold tire pressure maintained at 29 now, with own digital gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_122228.jpg  

Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_124438.jpg  

Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_124451.jpg  

Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_125204.jpg  

Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_130859.jpg  

Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_135131.jpg  

Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review-20141115_135139.jpg  

sdmn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 11:11   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The wheelbase it too low for our roads with the car scraping each one of them, if not taken sideways. Hyundai should definitely address this in V2.
Are you referring to wheelbase or ground clearance here?
Generally longer the wheelbase more the chance of scraping as the rear wheels don't follow soon enough on the bump.
Old 7th December 2014, 13:50   #294
Senior - BHPian

Referring to ground clearance of course. It's too low. Our old Zen used to fare somewhat better in this department, but only marginally.
Old 7th December 2014, 15:11   #295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Referring to ground clearance of course. It's too low. Our old Zen used to fare somewhat better in this department, but only marginally.
I agree with the problem as I have seen a few owners struggling in crawling over large speed humps due to low GC.

Other than a tyre upgrade i see nothing much to help out.

Anurag.
Old 11th December 2014, 16:25   #296
BANNED

Hyundai Eon Facelift Coming in 2015

Quote:
Hyundai is working on a facelift for the Eon and it will be here in India by the end of next year. Hyundai will want to make things more interesting with the Eon and you can expect the car to adopt the Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design language.

Expect big changes to the exterior of the car, like the i20 or even the Grand i10 and subtle changes to the interiors of the car. There will be no changes in the engines though but it would add to the value of the Eon if it came with an automatic gearbox. If it did, the automatic gearbox would come at a price, but otherwise, the price would remain unchanged which is currently Rs. 3.83 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
SOURCE: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/hyundai-eo...in-2015-711488

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 08:02   #297
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a Eon Magna+ this month and have few queries regarding the same.

1. The dealership's on-road pricing is 4.17 lakhs. After discussion, he came down to 3.85 lakhs. My question is, is this price good enough OR if I wait for Jan-Feb, will I get the 2014 version even cheaper? Even if I book it today, I will take delivery in February.

2. Booking in Jan-Feb means there might be some increase in the cost due to roll back in the excise duty cut, but how much cost diference will be there? are there any other factors that might add on the cost?

3. I have been reading across websites that the Eon gives mileage as low as 12 on city roads to 22 on the highways. After claiming ARAI figures of 21, isn't 12 too low? Is it possible that those receiving FE of 12 might either have a problem in the car or being regularly stuck in traffic jams with the AC and ignition on? Mileage is important to me as that is one of the reason to go for this car. How much on an average can I expect from the car driving mostly in the city?

4. How comfortable is it for tall drivers, 6'+ over long rides?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Moshel
Old 15th December 2014, 18:14   #298
Senior - BHPian

I would wait for the new model in Feb and then reap a bonanza on the old model, if it still catches my fancy.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 20:00   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshel View Post
3. I have been reading across websites that the Eon gives mileage as low as 12 on city roads to 22 on the highways. After claiming ARAI figures of 21, isn't 12 too low? Is it possible that those receiving FE of 12 might either have a problem in the car or being regularly stuck in traffic jams with the AC and ignition on? Mileage is important to me as that is one of the reason to go for this car. How much on an average can I expect from the car driving mostly in the city?
I don't know first hand & I don't know the traffic conditions in Ahmedabad at all. But I don't think the EON can give mileage more than 13-14 kmpl in city conditions at max.

Quote:

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Moshel
For 6'+ drivers, there never really was a hatchback (or even an affordable sedan) that you can drive for 600kms and feel 0 fatigue.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 11:18   #300
Senior - BHPian

It's surprising, but yes even our Eon struggles to give more than 12 KMPL in bumper to bumper traffic conditions. Alto scores here.

Regarding your next question, since it's the only tall boy for the segment, it offers slightly more headroom than the competition, for sure.

Overall I found it a sweet package except for the ground clearance.

3. Eon gives mileage as low as 12 on city roads to 22 on the highways. How much on an average can I expect?

Most Viewed