Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:37   #1636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post

As for the vibrations, it is felt in the gear lever and the steering wheel. It is very prominent when you progress from 1500 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. When the speed build/rpm touches 2000 mark, it slowly comes down.

The vehicle is pretty new and the ODO is 3900 kms. May I should give it some more time to settle down and check the behavior post 7500km free check up.

Engine mounts are the culprit here, get them re-torqued at the service centre. Your other symptom would be a jerk when blipping the throttle at a stand still.

This problem comes back every 10000 kms or so.

The other option is to shift up at 2500 rpm to keep the engine out of the 1500-2000 rpm range. This also keeps the engine happier.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:22   #1637
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
Engine mounts are the culprit here, get them re-torqued at the service centre. Your other symptom would be a jerk when blipping the throttle at a stand still.

This problem comes back every 10000 kms or so.

The other option is to shift up at 2500 rpm to keep the engine out of the 1500-2000 rpm range. This also keeps the engine happier.
Thanks for the suggestion mate. I had this in my mind since I felt the vibrations. But I thought the chances are slim as the vehicle is pretty new. Anyways, will get this checked ASAP. Does this problem really come back every 10k kms? This is bad!
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:52   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion mate. I had this in my mind since I felt the vibrations. But I thought the chances are slim as the vehicle is pretty new. Anyways, will get this checked ASAP. Does this problem really come back every 10k kms? This is bad!
When I spoke to the technicians at Vinayak Skoda, they said its a very common problem, with no concrete solution. Recommended I don't take the car on bad roads, as that's when it takes the biggest hit.

In my car 1 warranty failure @ 9k , two rounds of re torquing after that. Currently car is at 28k. This time re torquing didn't help. Might go in for a replacement.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 22:43   #1639
BHPian

Want to clarify something here..

I see that at high speed I can open doors from inside. I tested and doors get open, while they seem to be auto-locked (after 20kmph)

Is it not a safety concern?
Old 5th June 2014, 08:44   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I see that at high speed I can open doors from inside. I tested and doors get open, while they seem to be auto-locked (after 20kmph)
Yes and not just in Rapid, this happens to be a safety feature in most of the VWAG cars, which aids to unlock doors in an emergency situation.

Quote:
Is it not a safety concern?
IMHO it's not a safety concern unless you have some impish children seated in the rear. In that case, you can enable child safety lock to avert accidental opening of rear doors.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-capture.png

Hope this helps.
Old 5th June 2014, 09:29   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Yes and not just in Rapid, this happens to be a safety feature in most of the VWAG cars, which aids to unlock doors in an emergency situation.

IMHO it's not a safety concern unless you have some impish children seated in the rear. In that case, you can enable child safety lock to avert accidental opening of rear doors.
Yes, I am aware of child lock. And its available only for rear doors.

As an extra safety measure, I think it would be good to have doors locked from inside also when we are above certain speed (like, above 20kmph or 40kmph).

So that accidentally someone does not open doors.
Old 5th June 2014, 12:26   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Quote:
Yes, I am aware of child lock. And its available only for rear doors.

As an extra safety measure, I think it would be good to have doors locked from inside also when we are above certain speed (like, above 20kmph or 40kmph).

So that accidentally someone does not open doors.
I second 500ContyCruiser here. There should have been a mechanism to keep the door locked from inside. The door does get auto locked in Rapid at 15kmph, but that is from outside. You can still open it from inside. In Fabia, the same mechanism happens but the door is locked from inside as well. There is no separate lever or knob as such. Even the position of the lock lever does not change. What happens is that, when the doors are locked, one needs to pull it twice to open from inside. The first pull unlocks the door and the next pull opens it up. Upgrading from Fabia, I expected a similar thing is Rapid but was surprised to find that I can open from inside in spite of central locking the car.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 5th June 2014 at 12:27.
Old 6th June 2014, 16:56   #1643
BHPian

Hi Guys,

In Bangalore weather, AC Cooling is not as effective as one would want in our Rapid MPI.
I have keep the fan dial at 3 and cooling dial at little less then last, cool air only satisfies the driver and front passenger, cooling the whole car takes a lot of time in-spite of having a blower at the rear. During night time it cools really quick though.
Had got the filter cleaned during Summer camp check-up. ODO reading is still 2.2K, free check-up is due this week. Is the black colour at fault or is it same for all? Please advice.
Old 7th June 2014, 00:06   #1644
BHPian

It definitely seems to be a problem linked to your compressor, otherwise an MPI engine (1.5L) would certainly not take time to cool the car in Bangalore summers.
Ask your mech to check the compressor and I am sure you will find the culprit.
Happy driving..
Old 8th June 2014, 11:31   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
It definitely seems to be a problem linked to your compressor, otherwise an MPI engine (1.5L) would certainly not take time to cool the car in Bangalore summers.
Ask your mech to check the compressor and I am sure you will find the culprit.
Happy driving..
Thanks for the suggestion. Will get it checked tomorrow. Strangely I din't get any service reminder for 6 months checkup, I guess I will have to call them up and get appointment booked myself.
And its a 1.6 MPI engine
Old 8th June 2014, 21:22   #1646
BHPian

Hello

I just returned from a trip to HP, managing to reach up to Kalpa. I can assure you the roads are almost non-existent beyond Wangtu and you are very unlikely to drive on worse roads. The terrain is as treacherous as it could get.

Anyway, the car is again shuddering on braking at high speeds so I guess the rotors are gone again. Last time they were changed at 11k under warranty. This problem had started before i undertook this trip. However, I have noticed that at times the braking is fine and there is no shuddering. Could there be something else also apart from the rotors?

Another thing is that there is slight vibration when cruising at normal speeds (80-100 kmph) on smooth roads. The vibration is primarily felt on the steering wheel. Its not much but I could notice my hand vibrating a bit when holding the wheel. I don't know if this was there before also and if its normal. Rapid owners please share your observations on this.

I am planning to get the wheel alignment and balancing done. And those of you thinking how strong the michelin primacy st is, well, the tyres didnt let me down even once. They behaved well above my expectations!!

Also, please suggest a good place for getting the alignment and balancing done in NCR. The directory only contains reference to tyre emorium which has got mixed reviews.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 00:14   #1647
BHPian

So, did you get the compressor checked?
Let us know what the mechanic says..
Happy and safe driving.
Old 10th June 2014, 18:53   #1648
BHPian

Free 7500/6-month check-up was done today at Vinayaka Skoda, KR Puram.
The advisor said all the issues were addressed. I din't have enough time to get in detail.
I had asked him to check for Nuvi Screen flickering while engaging reverse gear, he said that all the wirings were checked but still the issue remains and advised to go to the dealer who fitted it (TAFE) and get it checked/replaced under warranty.
Total Bill amount was Rs. 0 INR, dropped at 11AM and picked at 5PM.
While moving out I realised that the memory card from the music player is missing, asked the SA about it and all he had to say is "Sir, I am sorry for the inconvenience, If I find it I will call you back" (we all know that's not going to happen, so I ordered a new one)

The SA was courteous but overall the check-up is a waste of time and not very satisfactory.
My advice to all the owners, don't leave ANYTHING in the car when you give it for service.
Old 10th June 2014, 22:26   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The SA was courteous but overall the check-up is a waste of time and not very satisfactory.
My advice to all the owners, don't leave ANYTHING in the car when you give it for service.
Went to the same centre for the free checkup and door squeaking. They put some tape on the front door sills (at the top), which is like a woven fibre cloth type band with adhesive on one side.

I now have threads sticking out of the door sills every time I get the car washed. They also retain water & are absolutely ineffective in preventing the squeaking. Apparently this is the "recommended" solution from Skoda?!?

Anyone have any clue on whom I should approach about this? This is the third time I have reported the same issue (Before first service, at first service and now during the free checkup camp).

Regarding the quality of service, they are polite and listen to everything one says, but the service adviser banged the driver door against the wall while getting in, and didn't bother pulling it away while getting in. I had to pull it away to avoid further damage. They also helpfully left a lot of black grease stains on the super light beige seat covers and centre arm rest

PS. They didn't pick up the (several) USB drives lying around in my car, so no complaints there. Probably technician specific

Last edited by VeluM : 10th June 2014 at 22:29.
Old 11th June 2014, 10:26   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Free 7500/6-month check-up was done today at Vinayaka Skoda, KR Puram.
The advisor said all the issues were addressed. I din't have enough time to get in detail.
I had asked him to check for Nuvi Screen flickering while engaging reverse gear, he said that all the wirings were checked but still the issue remains and advised to go to the dealer who fitted it (TAFE) and get it checked/replaced under warranty.

Even I have a minor flickering thing in my NUVI Unit but it usually occurs (or may be more visible) when I am parking indoors/in basement. Its not very protruding so I have chosen to ignore it.
Quote:
Total Bill amount was Rs. 0 INR, dropped at 11AM and picked at 5PM.
While moving out I realised that the memory card from the music player is missing, asked the SA about it and all he had to say is "Sir, I am sorry for the inconvenience, If I find it I will call you back" (we all know that's not going to happen, so I ordered a new one)
So, the total Bill amount was not Zero but actually equal to the cost of SD card. .
Anyways, when I took my Rapid for service few days back, they gave me 2 bags to collect all my belonginings. Also, the service advisor noticed the SD card and promptly removed and returned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks