Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 09:29   #1891
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
3. Anybody purchased online like www.batterybhai.com? These folks are recommending 66Ah, 74Ah also for Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI.
Related thread - Car Batteries, Home delivery & installation - Batterybhai.com

Do have a look!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 23:47   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Having a peculiar issue. 2 days ago when I got back from office I noticed that the right front tyre was losing pressure. I also noticed that the tyre was unusually hot compared to the other 3. I presumed it must be a puncture and hence called a local guy to get it fixed. Upon checking the puncture repair guy said that there was no puncture and he mentioned that the sudden loss in pressure may be due to me using nitrogen( I could not comprehend his random explanation for that though).

Anyway, since there was no puncture, the same tyre was fixed and didn't notice any loss in pressure for a day. This evening again I get a feeling that the pressure is slightly less and the same tyre feels very warm unusually. My running every day is just under 20 kms so no real reason though.
Could it be the tyre or something else? Do I take it to the skoda service centre or should I look at it in a decent tyre alignment centre?
Old 29th November 2014, 17:51   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Having a peculiar issue. 2 days ago when I got back from office I noticed that the right front tyre was losing pressure. I also noticed that the tyre was unusually hot compared to the other 3. I presumed it must be a puncture and hence called a local guy to get it fixed. Upon checking the puncture repair guy said that there was no puncture and he mentioned that the sudden loss in pressure may be due to me using nitrogen( I could not comprehend his random explanation for that though).

Anyway, since there was no puncture, the same tyre was fixed and didn't notice any loss in pressure for a day. This evening again I get a feeling that the pressure is slightly less and the same tyre feels very warm unusually. My running every day is just under 20 kms so no real reason though.
Could it be the tyre or something else? Do I take it to the skoda service centre or should I look at it in a decent tyre alignment centre?
I had a similar issue on my other car, Punto. I got it checked at 2 puncture repair guys who said no puncture but it turned out to be a defect with the nozzle neck & once that was fixed all was well. But I did not check the temperature of that tyre like you did. So can't be sure if its the same issue.

Anyway a decent tyre alignment centre should fix it, I guess they are better equipped to deal with tyre problems than Skoda service.
Old 29th November 2014, 19:04   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
I had a similar issue on my other car, Punto. I got it checked at 2 puncture repair guys who said no puncture but it turned out to be a defect with the nozzle neck & once that was fixed all was well. But I did not check the temperature of that tyre like you did. So can't be sure if its the same issue.

Anyway a decent tyre alignment centre should fix it, I guess they are better equipped to deal with tyre problems than Skoda service.
The temperature of the tyre is related to the air pressure. Try lowering it by few psi and check the results. The air nozzle may have impact if it's malfunctioning.
Old 29th November 2014, 19:31   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Having a peculiar issue.
Even I was getting that issue when it was raining mad in Bangalore about a month back. You should always fill air or nitro when the tyre is cold, or else the tyre will hold lesser air when driven for 8-10 kms and it is mildly hot. The main reason is when the climate temp changes drastically as it is now in Bangalore (mid day to night), the tyre tends to lose air without any leaks just because of higher temp inside the tyre and temp outside is lower, now when you drive with low air in the tyre it loses air even faster. Hot tyre is just the indication that it has been running on low air, if the air pressure is optimum the tyre never heats up.

In my case additionally what happened was that when the tyre lost some air due to rapid change in outside temp, plus the rains and water filled roads, the dust and fine mud actually made its way between the tyre and the wheel creating a gap for the air to escape, this only happens when the air pressure is already less. When I got the tyres removed from the alloys I could see fine mud, peeling paint of the alloy firmly stuck on the tyre bead area which sits on the inside of the alloy.
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:56   #1896
BHPian

I have changed my Rapid's battery to AMARON 74Ah and damage to the pocket is 7,850/-

Lack of basic knowledge by Skoda Service Engineer: Skoda Service Engineer told that existing (OEM fitted) battery is of 74Ah rating. After opening I realised it is a 60Ah and that too EXIDE brand (here also SE gone wrong, he said some other brand). Width of the new battery is more than the old one. Fortunately there is abundant space to fix the bigger battery.

Where did I purchase and install:
I have purchased it online from www.Batterybhai.com and got it fixed in my car parking. Batterybhai fellow came with proper tools and finished the installation in 10 minutes as per the instructions provided in Skoda service manual. Based on my experience, I would recommend to fellow BHPian's

Now coming to the vehicle settings initialisation:
What got initialised: Time, trip meter, auto window up/down (window glasses will scroll up/down after continuously pressing (I mean press and hold for 5-6 secs) lock/unlock button on the key fob, audio system, reverse parking camera (both are after market fittments). After the first crank with the new battery there were no warning lamps on dashboard

Did I fix all of them: Except reverse parking camera (it does not show the rear camera image automatically after engaging reverse gear, I have to manually switch on the HU).
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:55   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Lack of basic knowledge by Skoda Service Engineer: Skoda Service Engineer told that existing (OEM fitted) battery is of 74Ah rating. After opening I realised it is a 60Ah and that too EXIDE brand (here also SE gone wrong, he said some other brand).
AFAIK all Skoda cars, including the Rapid comes fitted with Varta batteries, a German battery manufacturer who has a pretty good reputation worldwide.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:52   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
AFAIK all Skoda cars, including the Rapid comes fitted with Varta batteries, a German battery manufacturer who has a pretty good reputation worldwide.
Am I missing something here?
If the above statement is correct, Why my car is having Exide battery then?
Just checked with service Engineer and he is now saying all Rapid's are having Exide batteries. As per him Laura, Octavia & Yeti comes with Varta batteries.
Any Rapid owners know/saw their battery brand there, can you folks confirm?
Old 3rd December 2014, 23:06   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked with service Engineer and he is now saying all Rapid's are having Exide batteries. As per him Laura, Octavia & Yeti comes with Varta batteries.
Any Rapid owners know/saw their battery brand there, can you folks confirm?
Mine is Rapid elegance bought in last December and I'm quite sure that my car has a varta battery. I'll post a pic of it if you want me to.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 07:41   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Mine is Rapid elegance bought in last December and I'm quite sure that my car has a varta battery. I'll post a pic of it if you want me to.
No mate, I will go by BHPian's word. I do not need a proof
My car too elegance and is one of those from the first batch (manufactured in Nov 2011). I would like to here from other owners.
By the way can you confirm the rating of your Varta battery? is it 60Ah or 74Ah? This may be helpful to other Rapid Owners.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:43   #1901
BHPian

I have renewed my car insurance (2011 Nov. make Rapid TDI Elegance) for the fourth year.
NCB: 35%
Insurance Provider: Future General
Damage to the pocket: 19,540/- (bumper to bumper)
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:04   #1902
BHPian

Anybody here got the tire bearings fixed on their rapid. If yes what was the approximate cost and the time taken ?
Old 9th December 2014, 17:07   #1903
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

Our Rapid's 1st Year Service is due this week. I called up Vinayaka Skoda for an appointment and I was informed that the approximate 1st year service cost would come around Rs.9000, which seems a little too high when compared to what the Service Cost Calculator (on Skoda's office website) suggests.
Our vehicle is sparingly used, it has covered only about 4K KMs till now and 9K for 1st year service seems like a rip-off to me.

Can any Petrol Rapid owners share the 1st Year/15000KMS service cost incurred?
It'll be really helpful if you can attach the Invoice copy.

Thanks,
Funny
Old 15th December 2014, 17:32   #1904
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Completed 1st Year/15K kms service from TAFE, Hosur. Total cost was Rs.8441 which includes 3K for Polishing and Interior cleaning.
The result was very good, minor scratches disappeared and paint-chips and other deep scratches were touched-up as per my request. The car now looks as good as new.
The job was done satisfactorily. Was expecting same day delivery but it didn't happen as it was a Saturday and they were overloaded.
The Service advisor had joined newly (2nd week at TAFE) and didn't have proper answers for few questions. But he was very polite, prompt and helpful in answering my doubts after asking his colleagues.
Comparing the free-checkup at Vinayaka and 1st Year Service at TAFE, I feel TAFE was better in all aspects. Anyway will give Vinayaka another try for 2nd Year service and then see if they are any better.

-Funny
Old 17th December 2014, 17:03   #1905
BHPian

Hi everyone. I had been following this thread for quiet some time and further I may become a related party soon.

After a prolonged search for a replacement for my Manza, finally I have made up my mind to get Skoda Rapid.

About the 1.5 TDI Rapid to say, in short, everything seems to be good except the much whined A.S.S. I am happy to see some good experiences also in terms of A.S.S from Skoda owners. Really don't know how my star sign is going to match/mismatch with Skoda if I buy one.

Coming back to the topic, I am planning to book 1.5TDI Ambition plus. The total on road price after discount (without bumper to bumper insurance) works out to be Rs. 10.35L. The actual price without discounts is Rs. 11.32L. The discount is close to a lakh rupees. Also the accessories offered are basic things like floor mats and mud flaps. As usual, the Skoda guys are telling me stories that the cars are selling out very fast, there is very less stock, just 2 cars, bla bla bla which I am least worried.

Can someone confirm whether this is a good offer or some more possibilities for negotiations exist?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rki2007 : 17th December 2014 at 17:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks