Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 18:12   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Why a 1.5TDI? If available look at 1.6TDI, they will offer more discounts on models in stock, last year around same time we bought 3 cars from Vinayak, offers given were Free insurance, Corporate discount, Art leather seat covers, RPS, Car cover and a special discount for a 2013 model in stock. Ask for rubber floor mats and not opt for carpet type. If you want extended warranty you should buy insurance from Bajaj Allianz, the dealer has higher margin from ICICI and will push for it but you will not get extended warranty. So make your point clear to them about insurance.
Old 17th December 2014, 22:02   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi everyone. I had been following this thread for quiet some time and further I may become a related party soon.

After a prolonged search for a replacement for my Manza, finally I have made up my mind to get Skoda Rapid.

About the 1.5 TDI Rapid to say, in short, everything seems to be good except the much whined A.S.S. I am happy to see some good experiences also in terms of A.S.S from Skoda owners. Really don't know how my star sign is going to match/mismatch with Skoda if I buy one.

Coming back to the topic, I am planning to book 1.5TDI Ambition plus. The total on road price after discount (without bumper to bumper insurance) works out to be Rs. 10.35L. The actual price without discounts is Rs. 11.32L. The discount is close to a lakh rupees. Also the accessories offered are basic things like floor mats and mud flaps. As usual, the Skoda guys are telling me stories that the cars are selling out very fast, there is very less stock, just 2 cars, bla bla bla which I am least worried.

Can someone confirm whether this is a good offer or some more possibilities for negotiations exist?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I have very recently(November 26th) bought a Rapid 1.5 TDI Elegance with Black package. I got free insurance, Mats , Mud guard and 7.5K for corporate discount.

The actual price was 12.49 lakhs on road and after discounts it came to 12.05 lakhs for me.

Difference between 1.6 and 1.5 with regarding to the driving you wouldn't find much with the engine Rev's and pickups. But the cruise control ( not really sure if ambition has it) is very handy in the EC's elevated toll road and in the Nice roads.

I have driven around 750KM till date and did few cosmetic changes outside(black roof, Front Bumper and side line from 3M HSR layout) and bought Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 unit for the music. Vinayak gave me a buy back of the factory system for 4k.

Negotiate with them, There are good chances you can get bit more less than what is offered.

Mod Note: Please use EDIT to add/change posts within 15 minutes, Thanks.
Sorry I have missed something in my previous post. Along with those freebies I was also give 5yrs of extended warranty instead of the normal 2yrs.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th December 2014 at 22:30.
lakshman1067 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 19:30   #1908
BHPian

Guys, my Rapid got rear-ended by another car yesterday and the rear bumper cracked. While I'm trying to get the repair cost claimed from the other person's insurance (he has assured his co-operation to do so), I need some inputs on the estimate the I've got from the TAFE service centre, in Singasandra, Bangalore.

Here is the estimate (all inclusive of taxes):

Material costs:
Cost of new bumper: 2998

Labour costs:
Rear tail lamp removal and re-fitting (no damage to the cluster, but per the SA, required step to replace rear bumper): 1348
Rear bumper sensors removal and re-fitting: 899
Rear bumper painting: 5618

Sub-total for labour: 7865

Total estimate: 10,865

My question is whether the labour costs are typical or is this a bit inflated?
Has anyone replaced their Rapid's rear bumper and had similar figures?
Old 19th December 2014, 00:13   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. I had been following this thread for quiet some time and further I may become a related party soon.

After a prolonged search for a replacement for my Manza, finally I have made up my mind to get Skoda Rapid.

About the 1.5 TDI Rapid to say, in short, everything seems to be good except the much whined A.S.S. I am happy to see some good experiences also in terms of A.S.S from Skoda owners. Really don't know how my star sign is going to match/mismatch with Skoda if I buy one.

Coming back to the topic, I am planning to book 1.5TDI Ambition plus. The total on road price after discount (without bumper to bumper insurance) works out to be Rs. 10.35L. The actual price without discounts is Rs. 11.32L. The discount is close to a lakh rupees. Also the accessories offered are basic things like floor mats and mud flaps. As usual, the Skoda guys are telling me stories that the cars are selling out very fast, there is very less stock, just 2 cars, bla bla bla which I am least worried.

Can someone confirm whether this is a good offer or some more possibilities for negotiations exist?

Thanks in advance.
I am in more or less of a similar dilemma. My concern is not the price but that fact the rumors of the current model being phased out with launch of the new model in 2015. I love everything about Rapid (including the game changer for me - black package) however psychologically my Indian mentality doesn't allow me to buy a phased out model. Also, the car prices are expected to increase by a lakh in 2015. Ironically, their offer to pay in 2016 is definitely yummy.

Need some gyaan here
Old 19th December 2014, 01:06   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I am in more or less of a similar dilemma. My concern is not the price but that fact the rumors of the current model being phased out with launch of the new model in 2015. I love everything about Rapid (including the game changer for me - black package) however psychologically my Indian mentality doesn't allow me to buy a phased out model. Also, the car prices are expected to increase by a lakh in 2015. Ironically, their offer to pay in 2016 is definitely yummy.

Need some gyaan here

I am speaking as someone who is very interested in Rapid, as someone who booked but cancelled in 2013 Ambition+ Prestige edition. As someone from a metropolitan city where there are multiple Skoda showrooms but they all belong to one dealer. Sometimes there is so much monopoly that if you want a Skoda car you have to take what they offer. Sometimes the best deal is what is good for you, not the better deal compared to anyone else could manage. So if you like the car so much so that you want to go for it, then GO FOR IT no mater you lost some penny here and there. Cheers!

PS: My reasons for canceling the booking was just that only I liked Rapid more than my family and there is a Vento already in the family.
Old 19th December 2014, 09:13   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
About the 1.5 TDI Rapid to say, in short, everything seems to be good except the much whined A.S.S. Really don't know how my star sign is going to match/mismatch with Skoda if I buy one.
If you like the car just go ahead and book. But make sure you take the 5 yr extended warranty.
I think you will get the best deal during Dec/Jan for the 2014 make Rapid's. My advise will be to bargain for accessories than cash, which is quite easy and also get them install there itself. Like revese sensors, camera, HU(if you wish to upgrade) etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Guys, my Rapid got rear-ended by another car yesterday and the rear bumper cracked. While I'm trying to get the repair cost claimed from the other person's insurance (he has assured his co-operation to do so), I need some inputs on the estimate the I've got from the TAFE service centre, in Singasandra, Bangalore.

Material costs:

Labour costs:
Rear tail lamp removal and re-fitting (no damage to the cluster, but per the SA, required step to replace rear bumper): 1348

Labour costs are always inflated by these Skoda dealers. As the third party agreed to pay from their insurance, just get it done. If you are ready to take some pain in getting done outside I am sure cost will be < 7K (including bumper base price of 2998/-). I know one painter in Koramangala, let me know if you need any help.
P.S: I have got painted my Rapid's one door from him.

Quote:

Need some gyaan here
Rapid may not get major updates in 2015, but definitely will get new Skoda face. Do remember only Rapid is having the old face/grill in Skoda's entire line up. I doubt if black package continues to the new/face lifted model. So if you like the current Rapid so much, go for it and not bother about minor tweaks (read silly face lifts).

Last edited by hillsnrains : 19th December 2014 at 09:43.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 09:25   #1912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Labour costs associated with Skoda and VAG workshops are on the higher side compared to Maruti, Hyundai and the likes. See if you can source the bumper and get it installed in your car. Head to Sai Colorium for getting it painted. Check with them regarding the painting expenses.

Here is a link (Dedicated automotive Body Care: Sai Colorium) regarding the experience and feedback from the members.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 12:02   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Why a 1.5TDI? If available look at 1.6TDI, they will offer more discounts on models in stock, last year around same time we bought 3 cars from Vinayak, offers given were Free insurance, Corporate discount, Art leather seat covers, RPS, Car cover and a special discount for a 2013 model in stock. Ask for rubber floor mats and not opt for carpet type. If you want extended warranty you should buy insurance from Bajaj Allianz, the dealer has higher margin from ICICI and will push for it but you will not get extended warranty. So make your point clear to them about insurance.
Some what I felt the 1.5TDI to be more drivable in the city and the clutch was also bit smooth compared to the 1.6. Other than these I didn't notice any big difference. Also the Tafe Access people say that they do not have the 1.6TDI and everything is sold out!!!

In terms of insurance, I read a condition in the price list that the skoda insurance is mandatory during purchase. When checked with the Dealer he confirmed this. However from the 2nd year onwards, it is optional for the buyer.

Quote:

Need some gyaan here
Yes, there is definitely a price increase during Jan due to excise duty increase and further you will not get any discounts for the 2015 manufactured model. I know that there may be a facelift/makeover in 2015, but the current discounts really makes sense to buy a 2014 manufactured car. Any which way the resale price of Skoda cars are not going to be really great. So I don't think it really matters be it the new face lifted one or the current one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
If you like the car just go ahead and book. But make sure you take the 5 yr extended warranty.
I think you will get the best deal during Dec/Jan for the 2014 make Rapid's. My advise will be to bargain for accessories than cash, which is quite easy and also get them install there itself. Like revese sensors, camera, HU(if you wish to upgrade) etc.

The basic accessories like floor mats, mud flaps are given by the dealer. Also, I am planning to get the Art Leather seat cover at a low price. I had been informed that these Art Leather seats were a part of a limited edition which was launched a year ago and they are of good quality. But I am yet to vouch for the same. The reverse parking sensors are part of the car itself. I don't think I really need a reverse parking cam. In terms of value additions, I am really looking at some good alloys and rubber upgrade. Though the alloys are offered as an option just for 17K, I am not very impressed with the looks. So I will look for other options available in the market. In terms of tyre upgrade, I understand that the car comes either with JK Vectra or Apollo. I really don't know about these rubbers. I saw discussion about rubber upgrade in the preceding pages, So Michelin Energy XM2 be the right option are is there anything what will make more sense?

Last edited by rki2007 : 19th December 2014 at 12:15.
Old 22nd December 2014, 13:57   #1914
BHPian

How many cars here have crossed the 1lakh kms mark - In terms of running repairs how's the experience been at around 1l kms mark. How's the car holding up ?

In the 1l kms or more run what all did have to be refurbished - Suspension, steering Rack , etc.

On the Vento thread I read reports of Piston ring failures beginning to crop up at around 110K kms, has the same happened to any of the rapids here ?

Does it make sense to continue with the car after 4 years and 1 lakh kms of driving because of the costs involved for repairs.

-Santosh
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:17   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Does it make sense to continue with the car after 4 years and 1 lakh kms of driving because of the costs involved for repairs.
I have made up my mind to part ways with my car after 4 years (i.e post extended warranty).
Currently I am on 52K+ on ODO. Car battery gave up already. So far no major issues (read no breakdown in the middle of road) but I started hearing kat-kat from my steering column (on full turn only). For some reason I was not able to re produce, hence have not visited service center yet. 4th year service is due in few months, after looking at the bill I have to decide how early I need to part ways with my car.
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:06   #1916

All,
I own a Rapid TDI Elegance 2013 model - run over 19K KMs. Off late I am having issue with my brakes. High speed braking is causing shudders – I can feel them on the steering also. Also braking doesn’t seem to be as efficient as before.
I am sure it is time to change the brake pads/shoes - Planning to visit service center soon – but wanted to take advice here before my visit. Any upfront things to take care ?
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:43   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Material costs:

Labour costs:

I had my rapid's rear bumper replaced and repainted. Total costs including labour etc came in the region of 8.5k. This was at Vinayaka Skoda, TC Palya, bangalore. Happened about two years ago.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 10:14   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsantu View Post
All,
I own a Rapid TDI Elegance 2013 model - run over 19K KMs. Off late I am having issue with my brakes. High speed braking is causing shudders – I can feel them on the steering also. Also braking doesn’t seem to be as efficient as before.
I am sure it is time to change the brake pads/shoes - Planning to visit service center soon – but wanted to take advice here before my visit. Any upfront things to take care ?
I guess break pads need change only around 30K KMS. In 2012 there were complaints about poor quality breaks pads and required replacements. However I have not heard any complaints in recent times from Rapid owners. You can see how much pad thickness left on the front breaks. Your car's shuddering issue can also be related to steering as well.
Old 24th December 2014, 12:54   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I guess break pads need change only around 30K KMS. In 2012 there were complaints about poor quality breaks pads and required replacements. However I have not heard any complaints in recent times from Rapid owners. You can see how much pad thickness left on the front breaks. Your car's shuddering issue can also be related to steering as well.

If you go through the forums ,
It says that even alloys are causing shuddering.
I myself am facing this and it happens only when I brake at 100 and the shuddering occurs until 80.

The brake pad problem is not gone but i would say the quality has improved a bit and mine lasted abt 20000km.

Also, how many of us have either broken/replaced the AC vents on the dashboard?

Is it only me or are others facing this problem as well?

Also the ASS claims 4800 for the whole set.
Old 24th December 2014, 13:27   #1920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Also, how many of us have either broken/replaced the AC vents on the dashboard?

Is it only me or are others facing this problem as well?
Plenty of VAG owners in fact. The Polo, Vento and Rapid has some flimsy AC plastic vents prone to damage if handled roughly.

Here are some more instances from the forum:

Broken AC Vent Issue (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)

Rs 12,000 for a replacement air vent guide for VW Vento (Car AC Vents realignment)

AC vents damaged at a car-wash centre (Bad experience at Amigos Automated Car Wash, Trivandrum)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks