Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2015, 13:57   #2071
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
One of my colleagues owns a Rapid 1.6 diesel top end. I recently noticed that he starts his car in 2nd gear. He doesn't says this is how it should be in more powerful cars. I highly doubt this, though more torque at lower revs means it is quiet comfortable to do so. So, is that how it really should be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
If it is bumper to bumper traffic I too use the car on 2nd gear unless it is very steep slope.

I have been using the car for the last 3 years and it hasn't caused any problems for me.

Also one has to be very careful when accelerating in the first gear as once you let go of the accelerator the car gives a heavy jerk unless you are using a half clutch.
The first gear is very short. Since the car has a great low end torque it is very easy to start with 2nd gear itself. But however as a matter of good driving manners, I don't start with 2nd gear at stand still position (please correct me if I am wrong). In B2B traffic, when the car is in slow momentum, I don't think there would be any mistake using the 2nd gear.

Generally when I start, I engage the first gear move slightly forward and immediately upshift to 2nd gear.

Friends do check out the initial ownership experience of my Rapid TDI MT here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tion-plus.html

Last edited by rki2007 : 21st February 2015 at 13:59.
rki2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:10   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
One of my colleagues owns a Rapid 1.6 diesel top end. I recently noticed that he starts his car in 2nd gear. He doesn't says this is how it should be in more powerful cars. I highly doubt this, though more torque at lower revs means it is quiet comfortable to do so. So, is that how it really should be?
As few fellow BHPians said, starting from zero speed (including traffic signals) in second gear is not advisable. This habit will take toll on the clutch. I have also seen many friends doing this (one fellow owns Vento), I think it's a bad habit.
On a lighter note, If we do not need a first gear while starting from zero speed why the manufacturers has given one in first place. In this case they have skipped the "lower ratio gear" and added "higher ratio gear" so that they can claim more mileage

Last edited by hillsnrains : 23rd February 2015 at 08:13. Reason: typo
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:08   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
I usually dont do this between 1st and 2nd, But sometimes on the highways I do change from 3rd to 5th directly. I usually do this If I already reach 3.5 - 4RPM on the 3rd gear.(I dont think this is advicible either, as I should throw a short 4th gear).

Between for 1st and 2nd gears, I totally agree with Hillsnrains above comment as I would take a toll on the clutch assembly by reducing its life.
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:21   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
As few fellow BHPians said, starting from zero speed (including traffic signals) in second gear is not advisable. This habit will take toll on the clutch. I have also seen many friends doing this (one fellow owns Vento), I think it's a bad habit.
On a lighter note, If we do not need a first gear while starting from zero speed why the manufacturers has given one in first place. In this case they have skipped the "lower ratio gear" and added "higher ratio gear" so that they can claim more mileage
I totally agree. These cars are not supposed to be in a hill climbing scenario on a daily basis. So 1st gear is supposed to be used while starting.
Old 25th February 2015, 09:04   #2075
BHPian

We have the 1.6 MPI variant. I feel the car struggles to move with 2nd gear from stand still, even on straight roads. (No inclines)
Clutch has to be used more to help it climb the speed required..
So I try to use 1st gear almost always when the car comes to a stand still..
Old 25th February 2015, 09:34   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
We have the 1.6 MPI variant. I feel the car struggles to move with 2nd gear from stand still, even on straight roads. (No inclines)
Clutch has to be used more to help it climb the speed required..
So I try to use 1st gear almost always when the car comes to a stand still..
I have to say, that's a horrible practice. You should never be attempting lift a car from a standstill in any gear but the 1st, incline or straight. You're putting a tremendous and unnecessary amount of stress on your engine. 1st gears are there for a reason.
Old 25th February 2015, 15:36   #2077
BHPian

I was able to get few pics of my car , Kindly bear with the excessive sunlight. Will try to get better ones.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-image1.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-image2.jpg
Old 26th February 2015, 12:45   #2078
BHPian

From the front .

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-image3.jpg
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:17   #2079
BHPian

Hi

Anybody got OEM door sills on their Rapid? That brushed aluminium one?

I think Skoda offers it as an accessory but the dealers don't seem to be stocking them. I was thinking of ordering them from superskoda.com but before that wanted to be sure if they would fit our Rapid.
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:32   #2080
BHPian

60000 service coming up. What's the estimated cost and any pointers suggestions to get something specifically updated or fixed. Got my suspension overhauled at around 48000 now am at 60500 and have a squeaking noise from the front right suspension. Apart from that Germany no complaints.
Old 6th March 2015, 20:51   #2081
BHPian

75000kms service completed.
Regular stuff with all filters replaced, oil filters changed, wiper blades replaced.
Total cost including labor: Rs 12640/-
The SA told me that the clutch will run till next service. He also suggested replacing the front struts in next service. Anybody change any of these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
60000 service coming up. What's the estimated cost and any pointers suggestions to get something specifically updated or fixed. Got my suspension overhauled at around 48000 now am at 60500 and have a squeaking noise from the front right suspension. Apart from that Germany no complaints.
The 60,000km service cost me about 9.5K.
onedotsix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 11:31   #2082
BHPian

I had to undergo change of struts in my last service. They are expensive in the service centre.

I would suggest changing them to TRW ones. Please find the review and upgrade details in one of the posts done on a Vento.
Old 7th March 2015, 20:47   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedotsix View Post
Regular stuff with all filters replaced, oil filters changed, wiper blades replaced.
The SA told me that the clutch will run till next service. He also suggested replacing the front struts in next service. Anybody change any of these?
Even my car is in due for 75,000 kms service. Keeping fingers crossed with the bill 😊

From what I know, below things might need attention in my car,
Front suspension might require overhaul
Clutch needs to be checked once
Gear shift cable, it was replaced once under warranty but I still have similar.

Will be giving it in coming week along with some body work (someone banged the car near left rear door).
Old 9th March 2015, 11:46   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedotsix View Post

The 60,000km service cost me about 9.5K.
Yup, the service bill was 13K, additional because I intentionally requested for a brake pad change.

And ya I got my suspension overhauled at around 48K kms, a little earlier than everybody else here. Could be because of the S drives, driving on bad roads.

See - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3608416 for details.

Good to know the 75K service bill was decent, the clutch overhaul at skoda sounds scary. What's the estimated cost on that.

I'm still contemplating whether to hold the car till around 1L or sell it when I reach 70-75K.

Anybody here who's at the 1L mark or over it ? Anything apart from the standard service bill ? Any major changes required, any major failures ?

-Santosh
Old 16th March 2015, 13:24   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. I am looking at upgrading my 2012 Polo 1.6 by the first quarter of 2016 and my options are the Vento, Rapid or Octavia. Yes, the Octavia is in a different league all together as compared to the Vento or Rapid but is the freshest among the three.

Now there are rumors that Skoda plan to launch the European Rapid in India this year but is this true? If so, then it would be a no brainer. I am hoping this is true since they launched the Octavia and looking to launch the face lifted Fabia and Superb this year too.

What do you guys suggest I do?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks