Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 21:07   #2086
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys. I am looking at upgrading my 2012 Polo 1.6 by the first quarter of 2016 and my options are the Vento, Rapid or Octavia. Yes, the Octavia is in a different league all together as compared to the Vento or Rapid but is the freshest among the three.

Now there are rumors that Skoda plan to launch the European Rapid in India this year but is this true? If so, then it would be a no brainer. I am hoping this is true since they launched the Octavia and looking to launch the face lifted Fabia and Superb this year too.

What do you guys suggest I do?

Epic, There were rumours about Eurpoean Rapid releasing last year and then there was one which said Skoda has given the designing to Mahindra for Rapid.Finally they launched the 1.5TDI / DSG with black package with no changes to the exteriors.Also Volkswagen was supposed to be launching the 1.5 TDI manual for Vento last year along with the DSG. No news about it till now except for couple of pictures we see online in a fuel station with twin barrel headlight, no one even knows if it was a manual or it was the automatic.

Even if the new Rapid comes, there wont be any mechanical changes but just a fresh looking exteriors with a butterfly grill and a maxi dot instrument cluster in the inside for sure. If you like the current model go with it. I am sure you will not regret it.

In my perspective if you are the driver and will be spending most of the time in front seat then I would request you to consider either the vento or the rapid. Not that the Octy is bad while comparing to these two but it is twice the cost of the other two cars and longer which makes it bit difficult to drive and park in the city.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:29   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshman1067 View Post
Epic, There were rumours about Eurpoean Rapid releasing last year and then there was one which said Skoda has given the designing to Mahindra for Rapid.Finally they launched the 1.5TDI / DSG with black package with no changes to the exteriors.Also Volkswagen was supposed to be launching the 1.5 TDI manual for Vento last year along with the DSG. No news about it till now except for couple of pictures we see online in a fuel station with twin barrel headlight, no one even knows if it was a manual or it was the automatic.

Even if the new Rapid comes, there wont be any mechanical changes but just a fresh looking exteriors with a butterfly grill and a maxi dot instrument cluster in the inside for sure. If you like the current model go with it. I am sure you will not regret it.

In my perspective if you are the driver and will be spending most of the time in front seat then I would request you to consider either the vento or the rapid. Not that the Octy is bad while comparing to these two but it is twice the cost of the other two cars and longer which makes it bit difficult to drive and park in the city.
I am assuming that the Skoda Rapid Black package has been introduced to clear stock of the current model. The reason I am keeping my hopes alive of launch of the European Rapid soon is because VW/Skoda usually keeps the exterior of their cars updated in all segments. For example - The exterior of the Skoda Octavia is the same of that available in Europe, the same is of the Superb and if I am not mistaken, it will get the European update by the end of 2015 or early 2016. The same goes for VW, where all their cars look the same as of now.

With Skoda, the only odd man out is the Rapid and I really really hope they give it the European update - even if it means only the exterior. There is also talk about the VW Tiguan which would be another contender but then this depends on whether it will compete with the Renault Duster / Nissan Terrano / Ford Ecosport or the Skoda Yeti; which again brings it down to the price point.

No, I do not like the look of the current Rapid, it does not look as mean as the rest of the models in the Skoda fleet. If I take the plunge in buying it now, I do not want to regret it if the European model is then launched later.

The same thing happened when i bought my Polo where there were rumors that the Polo would come with audio controls on the steering which the showroom guys were denying and so I went ahead and bought the car. After a couple of months the new model came out with audio controls on the steering. The only reason I do not regret it that much is because I ended up buying the 1.6 engine
Old 18th March 2015, 12:59   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I am assuming that the Skoda Rapid Black package has been introduced to clear stock of the current model. The reason I am keeping my hopes alive of launch of the European Rapid soon is because VW/Skoda usually keeps the exterior of their cars updated in all segments. For example - The exterior of the Skoda Octavia is the same of that available in Europe, the same is of the Superb and if I am not mistaken, it will get the European update by the end of 2015 or early 2016. The same goes for VW, where all their cars look the same as of now.

With Skoda, the only odd man out is the Rapid and I really really hope they give it the European update - even if it means only the exterior.
I don't think it is going to happen any soon, because to retain the current car is a business decision as it is giving them economy of scale with vento, polo etc, also the cost of manufacturing is significantly lower than the European rapid, and they know that if they price it any further, they will be out of competition. Also margins are good on this car. So if you ask Skoda the reply will be ~ its only business, nothing personal.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:34   #2089

Mine is a Skoda Rapid TDI Elegance – 24K completed. Off late high speed breaking causes vibration, shaking over the steering. Also Brakes have become less confidence inspiring. Went to the service center to get it checked up – tested if the existing disc will last for a few more KMs by slight grinding – however didn't reduce the vibrations. So was advised to replace the Front Brake disc and Pad. Went ahead with the replacement since I have a 1500 KM Road Drive planned for next week and didn't want the brakes to create any issues during the trip.

SA informed me that there was some Summer Camp going on cause of which I was given 25% discount on all Parts Purchased. The surprising part was that the labor charge for REPLACING the wiper blades will be Rs.250 - which I felt was outrageous. I informed him to just PROVIDE me the new set – I will replace them myself. So was charged only the parts cost. While taking delivery the SA was kind enough to replace them for me by himself.

Below is the bill of expenses - excluding taxes

Parts Cost:
Brake Disc (2) – Original Cost – Rs.1898.69 x 2 = Rs. 3797 – 25% Discount – Rs. 2848.04
Brake Pads Set – Original Cost - Rs. 1572.05 - 25% Discount – Rs. 1179.04
Wiper Blade Set - Original Cost - Rs. 480.35 - 25% Discount – Rs. 360.26

Labor Cost:
General Checkup – Rs. 500
VAS Updation – Rs.600
Body Wash - Rs.400
Brake Pad replacement – Rs. 560
Brake Disc Replacement – Rs. 240
tpsantu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 19:07   #2090
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I came across this post on Skoda India's FB Page..

Škoda owners can avail exclusive benefits with the ‘Care For You’ initiative. Get a 40 point free check-up, special offer on select Škoda Genuine Parts, and on Škoda Roadside Assistance at your nearest dealership.

Link: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/service/skoda-care
Funny is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 21:24   #2091
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My 1.6TDI's 7.5k free checkup is looming. Car has run 7.3k

I checked the dipstick oil level after 2 days of remaining parked.
Roughly only 1/3 oil remains. Is this amount of drinking normal for a brand new car ?
I remember the SA showing me the oil level on the dipstick (when taking delivery of car) and I remember it was full. Not sure whether the engine was warm or cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-oil_level_at_7300.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2015, 18:00   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Rattles are a bit tricky to find and sort out.
The first thing to figure out is when the rattle actually happens. whether it is from Inside the Car or Outside.
If it is inside, look for any loose bolts/foreign objects etc.
It it is outside, check for mud guards/ area around rear boot.
A visit to Service Center may help as well.
An update is long overdue on this.

I finally got this fixed in Dec last year at the Skoda Service station at Hosur Road,Bangalore.
They were initially lethargic and unwilling to investigate but on my insistence My car was still under warranty at that time and I was not charged for this.

The issue was Gearbox Bedding. They replaced this and it fixed it.

I asked them out of curiosity how much it would have costed if the car was not under warranty and they said, around Rs. 5000
Old 25th April 2015, 01:16   #2093
BHPian

Hey guys,

Need your help. Just booked a Rapid TDi Elegance plus and was wondering if the tyres need to be upgraded or should i stick with the apollos?

Before this i had a 2011 Vento and the tyres on that were absolutely terrible! So i had upgraded those to 195/60 Yoko A drives. Which performed excellently for the first 5000 km and after that the road noise became unbearable!

If i had to upgrade, which tyres would you suggest? This car will mostly do city point A to point B travel, assume 95% city transport. Chauffeur driven. Only my mom in the back.

Priority is ride comfort>Noise>Performance. Of course that doesn't mean they should be terrible in the handling department! :P

Also, a customer of mine owns a Rapid and he has installed Vredestein Sportrac 5s on his car. Didn't really get to ask him about them and can't really find anything conclusive on our Forum but the tires have a hugely positive review on the interwebs. Can anyone provide feedback on those?

Thanks

Last edited by venom_op : 25th April 2015 at 01:33.
Old 25th April 2015, 01:45   #2094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Priority is ride comfort>Noise>Performance. Of course that doesn't mean they should be terrible in the handling department! :P
Michelin P3ST seems to be a good option.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 05:42   #2095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
My experience with Michelin has been Punctures>Performance>Comfort!
Old 25th April 2015, 07:31   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I checked the dipstick oil level after 2 days of remaining parked.
Roughly only 1/3 oil remains. Is this amount of drinking normal for a brand new car?
The Manager Service of a Ford dealership once told me that a bit of oil will be consumed initially in a new engine and would then settle down. This he said, is normal. This reasoning was not technically convincing to me.
Better you top up the oil at 7.5K KM check up and observe the consumption pattern.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th April 2015 at 07:56.
Old 25th April 2015, 20:30   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Thanks Lamborghini , but I've had terrible experience with the Michelins on my santro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Hi abhjain, my personal experience has also been the same with Michelins but also the same with Yoko. So I'm thinking of less obvious choices.

Has anyone tried Vredestein and Pirellis?
Old 1st May 2015, 11:05   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Hey guys,

Need your help. Just booked a Rapid TDi Elegance plus and was wondering if the tyres need to be upgraded or should i stick with the apollos?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
AFAIK the Michelin P3ST is good but not excellent. I had very high hopes after reading about the tyres but I was not very impressed with the experience and for the cost that I paid for the P3ST.

Based on my experience with the Michelin P3ST (195/60/R15) on my Rapid, I would say that the rating for comfort and tyre noise to be 4/5.

In my case, I did not have a puncture on the brand new tyres but the nitrogen air released automatically without any reason. Initially I thought it was a puncture but later realized that it was just an air release. I am still wondering how it happened!!

Out of the previous cars that I used, I found the Bridgestone on my Manza to be extraordinary in terms of comfort and less tyre noise.

Apollo is average and JKs are just to be ignored.

Last edited by rki2007 : 1st May 2015 at 11:07.
Old 1st May 2015, 13:00   #2099
BHPian

Iam using Pirelli P7 on my E280 CDI, low road noise, excellent grip at any speed, covered about 8000 kms so far, very satisfied.
Old 1st May 2015, 17:58   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
AFAIK the Michelin P3ST is good but not excellent. I had very high hopes after reading about the tyres but I was not very impressed with the experience and for the cost that I paid for the P3ST
What are the issues you are facing with 3ST? I know it is a comfort oriented tyre, have driven a Rapid shod with it and did not like the braking/cornerning grip levels compared to S drives on my Vento. The silence, ride quality was very good though.

Most Viewed