Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2015, 02:22   #2146
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabros View Post
Though the whole story ended ok for us(thanks to the insurance company) minus loosing my Rapid TDI and love I shared with it.I still was not able to digest the high repair cost that Skoda sent to us.
Thanks for the very detailed feedback. That was in fact a horrible service experience.

And frankly, it looks like a case of cheating - looks like either the dealer or someone at the dealership was out to make a quick buck. I know that Giriraj Motors has passed onto a new owner, who I know through a friend, and is known to be a great guy, but all this sounds pretty fishy.

Of course, from your POV, it looks all done & dusted, and I doubt anything can be done, but I'll irrespective take this up with the owner. Would be great if you could share the names & designations of the people involved and your car no. - would have asked you to PM this, but you don't have PM privileges yet, and since the car is done with, no harm I guess, plus we can later request the mods to remove that post.

Cheers,
Old 17th July 2015, 17:57   #2147
BHPian

Hey guys,
Our Rapid is scheduled for 2nd Service by the end of this year. I wanted to know if we can opt for extended warranty from the SC when we give it for service. (We had not taken EW when we bought the car)
Since the default warranty is about to expire by this year end, we want to have a peace of mind for 2 additional years.
Old 18th July 2015, 13:35   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Hey guys,
Our Rapid is scheduled for 2nd Service by the end of this year. I wanted to know if we can opt for extended warranty from the SC when we give it for service. (We had not taken EW when we bought the car)
Since the default warranty is about to expire by this year end, we want to have a peace of mind for 2 additional years.
I would Highly recommend the Extended Warranty … get it Asap as the process takes a while before u ll actually get the warranty in your hand.

i own a 1.5 tdi DSG Elegance plus, Bought it in may 2015 with the skoda shield at the time of purchase, got delivery in June ,but still haven't received it from Skoda.

how many Kms have u done till now?
abhijitnallani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 21:02   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

AFAIK, you have to opt for extended warranty within 6 months of purchase. This is what I was told when I bought mine( which I did within 6 months). But please do check with the dealer. The terms and conditions may have changed.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 10:24   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitnallani View Post
how many Kms have u done till now?
Our running is low, hence we had taken the Rapid MPI, it has run only about 7K kms till now.
Old 19th July 2015, 10:54   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Our running is low, hence we had taken the Rapid MPI, it has run only about 7K kms till now.
For such low running MPI Rapid petrol (non turbo non DSG), I think you don't need it. Diesel cars have more parts failure rate than the petrol ones. But had it been a turbo petrol and with DSG it would have been necessary.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 11:14   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Can someone please give a detailed explanation on how to reset the service reminder?
Now why would you want to do that. You should get the service done and they will reset it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Is Skoda testing the 1.2TSI?
That will be a nice car. Better than the 1.6 MPI.
Old 20th July 2015, 11:37   #2153
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!

I don't know if this is the right thread to post my problem or not as the Skoda guys have so far not given me too much of a reason to complain.

I own a 2014 manufactured Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Ambition Plus. She has run 16,000km. On my way back from Pune to Mumbai yesterday, I noticed a noise (hooooshhh...) like air gushing out when I press the gas pedal a little more and as the tachometer crosses 1800-2000 RPM. But the car was running fine. After 2-3 times, suddenly the glow plug warning came off and I lost substantial power while climbing a flyover. I immediately pulled over and switched the ignition off. I checked under the hood for any apparent damage but could not find any with my amateur eyes. Checked the coolant and oil levels and found them satisfactory. Re-started the car and the warning was gone. However, on running, the noise continued. After running for a few kilometres, the warning light appeared again. Again pulled over and restarted and came back home. But this time I took a video of the warning light blinking.

Today morning, the first thing I took the car to the service centre (Powai, near L&T Gate No:2) where I have been going for my regular Servicing and Insurance works and have experienced good service till date. They lifted the car and checked and found out a visible damage in the inter-cooler. There was a big crack on the port side exactly at the point where the rubber hose meets the plastic mouth of the assembly. The crack was in the plastic part of course and on accelerating the engine, Air and sprinkles of oil were evidently coming out. The service guys said they would check with their parent workshop at Kandivalli/Charkop for parts availability and revert. If its not available, they will have to order the same from Aurangabad and may take up to 8 days! Approximate cost will be 12-14k. They also said they would try to cover it under goodwill warranty.

So as of now no complains on the Skoda guys. However, I have few questions in mind:
1) Can the 'glow plug' warning light come off due to this inter-cooler issue?
2) My car hasn't met with any accident in the last 3-4 months and I also don't remember any underbody scraping in recent times. How could the crack appear suddenly?

Other than this problem, the car has been running like a breeze and I have done 2 trips to Goa, 1 trip to Bhopal and numerous trips to Pune/Malshej Ghat/Mahabaleswar/Lavasa etc. I am happy that the problem could be identified easily and hopefully I am saved from any of the other bone chilling horror stories that I read about 'Skoda glow plug warning' issues.

As of now, I am waiting for a return call from the Service centre and will update what happens next. I just hope to get my Beasty back in full form ASAP
Old 20th July 2015, 11:59   #2154
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
So as of now no complains on the Skoda guys. ....
Don't worry. Supposedly, Skoda is on it's way to treat customers better, see the discussion here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...omplaints.html

Going by the positive response so far from the dealer, hopefully you wouldn't need them, but do keep it as an option if things don't turn out the way you are hoping them to.

ATB!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 13:08   #2155
BHPian

Hi,
I drive a Rapid 1.6 TDI Ambition+, Dec 2012 model, which has run ~26,000kms to date.
Recently I have observed a slight increase in idle RPM on rare occasions. The engine usually idles at around 700 RPM, and rises to 1000 RPM sometimes. I have not been able to pinpoint any particular reason when this happens. The first time it happened a month back was during heavy rains. But after that once or twice a week it appears again under different conditions.
No warning lights on the dash and no effect on engine power or drivability (car is a gem!).
Regular service is due in Dec and wanted to know if any others had experienced the same. And if should be very concerned and take it to the service center right away.

Thanks,
NMA
Old 28th July 2015, 16:55   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
As of now, I am waiting for a return call from the Service centre and will update what happens next. I just hope to get my Beasty back in full form ASAP
Sorry for the late update on the issue that I had brought up. The car is back with me in 'full form' after spending 2 days in the workshop.
The Powai service centre (Senator Skoda) did not have the part - Intercooler! They said they would need eight days to source the same from Aurangabad and I would have to leave the car with them!!
I decided to check with Autobahn, the dealer from whom I had bought the car and their Kurla workshop confirmed the part availability. However, I could get an appointment after 2 days only.
After leaving the car with them in the morning, the entire day the service advisor kept telling me over phone that "the radiator is broken", "there might be other problems" etc etc
I decided to go again to the workshop in the evening and got mad after the service advisor showing me the crack in the intercooler which I had already known and he said to me "The internet is down and I can check the part availability only after its up and running"! In short, the entire day was wasted and they found out the problem which I had already told them in the morning while giving the car and there was no assurance on the part. I demanded to talk to his senior whom I had initially spoken over phone. This guy came across to be sensible and he assured me that he had kept the new part for me and took me to their stores to show it.
After this, it was smooth and my car was ready the next day by afternoon. The total bill was Rs 13,822/- including labour. Request for Goodwill Warranty wasn't entertained. However, I got happy with the car once I took her out for a spin over the weekend and the turbo worked flawlessly! My takeaways are as follow:
a) Service advisers are still not trained properly
b) Too much of load and they are understaffed - around 30 cars per day
c) The Kurla one being the biggest workshop of Skoda in Mumbai, part availability is good
d) You can't really leave your car with them and expect a call back on time. You need to constantly follow-up with proper involvement. Nothing close to a Hyundai/Maruti experience! Skoda still has a long way to come anywhere near the premium feel of Honda or Toyota.
Old 28th July 2015, 18:48   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Hi,
I drive a Rapid 1.6 TDI Ambition+, Dec 2012 model, which has run ~26,000kms to date.
Recently I have observed a slight increase in idle RPM on rare occasions. The engine usually idles at around 700 RPM, and rises to 1000 RPM sometimes.
NMA
Is it when the engine is cold or warm or random? If the engine is too cold, higher idle speed is normal as the ECU is automatically increasing the throttle to take the engine to the optimum temperature. However, in that case the idle speed should fall back to normal after running a while.

Since you have mentioned it happened during heavy rains, the temperature can be an issue in which case nothing to worry.

Anyway, if you are not sure about the above, take your car to the service centre as higher idle speed can be caused by many minor to major issues like Alternator malfunction, Vacuum leaks, Engine Controls failure, Engine Overheating etc.

The normal idle speed of this VW 1.6 TDI is 750 RPM and I always check that in my Rapid while idling as this is a good measure to know the health of the stuff under the hood. Also, have you tried to correlate the idle speed with the AC on/off?

Let us know how it goes. I hope it's just the ambient temperature issue. ATB
mrinmoy_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 21:33   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Is it when the engine is cold or warm or random? If the engine is too cold, higher idle speed is normal as the ECU is automatically increasing the throttle to take the engine to the optimum temperature.
It is mostly normal temperature, never happens from a cold start. I can recognise the higher idle in very cold conditions which is around 800RPM, but this is clearly above 1000RPM.
Quote:
Anyway, if you are not sure about the above, take your car to the service centre as higher idle speed can be caused by many minor to major issues like Alternator malfunction, Vacuum leaks, Engine Controls failure, Engine Overheating etc.
Yes, I am booking an appointment with Vinayaka first thing tomorrow.
Quote:
The normal idle speed of this VW 1.6 TDI is 750 RPM and I always check that in my Rapid while idling as this is a good measure to know the health of the stuff under the hood. Also, have you tried to correlate the idle speed with the AC on/off?
750RPM is exactly the idling speed 90% of the time for me now. I checked correlation with AC and there is no effect (neither does it only happen with AC, nor does it go away when AC is switched off).

BTW, I have an OBD 2 dongle. Is there any sensor reading I can check which would not cause 'check engine' to light up but have similar symptoms?
Old 28th July 2015, 22:22   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
... found out a visible damage in the inter-cooler. There was a big crack on the port side exactly at the point where the rubber hose meets the plastic mouth of the assembly. The crack was in the plastic part of course ...
For the crack on the plastic mouth, was the entire intercooler replaced or were some parts were replaced? I mean could you have reduced the cost by replacing only the broken part? I am not too familiar with intercooler and so my question may be naive...
Old 29th July 2015, 11:24   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post

BTW, I have an OBD 2 dongle. Is there any sensor reading I can check which would not cause 'check engine' to light up but have similar symptoms?
I am not very sure about the accuracy of these scanners. However, as far as I know, the car's 'check engine' warning would have come off before the dongle gives a diagnosis as the feedback line is the same for both. Don't worry, ask the workshop guys to run a diagnostic with their 'intelligent tester' and the problem (if any) will surface. Listen for any 'hshhhh...' sound from under the hood which is a sign of any vacuum leak.

I have a feeling it will be something minor only. ATB once again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks