Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 23:55   #2251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Not sure about Rapid DSG but Vento is having some offers , they are giving 58k worth of accessories kit for around 33k
I was in VW showroom today, no offer on AT Vento. The accessory kit is only for Manual variants, and they plainly refused to give it for AT models.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 13:32   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I was in VW showroom today, no offer on AT Vento. The accessory kit is only for Manual variants, and they plainly refused to give it for AT models.
Oh, this news to me . I was not aware that the accessory kit was only for manual models . Just checking the brochure and yes unfortunately only manual models are listed .
Old 15th October 2015, 13:41   #2253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Oh, this news to me . I was not aware that the accessory kit was only for manual models . Just checking the brochure and yes unfortunately only manual models are listed .
They called me today for a feedback and I gave them piece of my mind that how it is stupid to skimp on AT, specially when everything is retrofitted at dealer level.
Old 17th October 2015, 14:13   #2254
Senior - BHPian

My rapid had a slight rattling noise at just 25k and was told it was a steering rack issue. Having the extended warranty turned out to be a boon since this was very expensive. I think some 30 or 40k.
Anyway, they took about 3 weeks to procure the part and finally replaced it last week. Incidentally in the same week I switched to 15" alloys with 205/55/15 continental CPC2. I'm feeling a slight vibration in the steering as well as from the tyres. Confused if this is due to the changed steering rack or the new tyres.. How do I rule out that the issue is due to the tyres? Should I try wheel alignment once again else where and check the tyres? Anyone had an experience of a steering rack replacement?
Old 20th October 2015, 09:47   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I'm feeling a slight vibration in the steering as well as from the tyres. Confused if this is due to the changed steering rack or the new tyres.. How do I rule out that the issue is due to the tyres? Should I try wheel alignment once again else where and check the tyres? Anyone had an experience of a steering rack replacement?
I had the steering rack in my 2011 Vento changed within 6 months of buying it, and there were no vibrations, even before or after. In fact, as you mentioned, the rattling sound - very very minor & very rare, in my case - is the only giveaway that the steering rack needs to be replaced.

The problem you mention seems like a wheel balancing issue, and very likely since you just bought new rims & tyres - get it checked from a good guy, because as I understand it, most balancing is in fact, not done well, and not to the precision required. One or more of the wheels (alloys) could be at fault too. If both don't work, have the suspension checked.
Old 20th October 2015, 13:35   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I had the steering rack in my 2011 Vento changed within 6 months of buying it, and there were no vibrations, even before or after. In fact, as you mentioned, the rattling sound - very very minor & very rare, in my case - is the only giveaway that the steering rack needs to be replaced.

The problem you mention seems like a wheel balancing issue, and very likely since you just bought new rims & tyres - get it checked from a good guy, because as I understand it, most balancing is in fact, not done well, and not to the precision required. One or more of the wheels (alloys) could be at fault too. If both don't work, have the suspension checked.

Thanks for your feedback. I got the air pressure and balancing checked again at another place since I had traveled to a different town. The guy there seemed to suggest that the balancing wasn't done properly while fitting the tyres, he said that the "weights" were placed incorrectly. And the tyre pressure was suggested to be lowered down to 30 from 33. The new tyres are of 205/55/15, any idea if this is correct?
Anyway, after the above changes the car feels much better, although at high speeds such as 140-160 I feel a very slight vibration, which I think is bound to happen.
Old 20th October 2015, 22:16   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi,

One of my friend is looking for Rapid 1.5 TDI AT(DSG). Are there any ongoing deals/offers in Bangalore?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Rohan
Hey Rohan, the Rapid DSG has recently undergone a price correction. If you account for all discounts, the top end (Elegance Plus) retails for 13.50 lakhs OTR!

I know one of the sales advisors at Vinayak and can provide you details if need be.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 23:45   #2258
BHPian

I recently got parking camera fitted in my Rapid rear view mirror, since then day night function not working. I press the liver but glare does not reduce, what to do?
Old 21st October 2015, 08:26   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I recently got parking camera fitted in my Rapid rear view mirror, since then day night function not working. I press the liver but glare does not reduce, what to do?
I guess your reverse camera display sits on top of OEM rear view mirror. If so, you don't have any choice.
In general reverse camera displays are tinted and does work fine during night, isn't yours?

Last edited by hillsnrains : 21st October 2015 at 08:29.
Old 21st October 2015, 09:28   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I guess your reverse camera display sits on top of OEM rear view mirror. If so, you don't have any choice.
In general reverse camera displays are tinted and does work fine during night, isn't yours?

No, mine is not. Lot of glare at night. Any suggestions on a fix?
Old 21st October 2015, 09:42   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
No, mine is not. Lot of glare at night. Any suggestions on a fix?
You could have judged it's night function before getting installed. As per my knowledge you have following options
1. Go for rear view mirror tint (excluding the camera display portion)
2. Relocate the reverse camera display from OEM rear view mirror.

By the way which brand is your reverse camera? This will help fellow members to be cautious with that model/brand.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:48   #2262
Distinguished - BHPian

So I spoke to SA again and asked him about style variant, he said it will be available from next month woth a price correction and obviously there will be no discounts.I told him we will see to that

Features addition in style:

Rain sensing wipers
Auto folding OVRM mirrors
Blinkers on OVRM
Chilled Glovebox

I have put my plans on hold I will rather go with the style variant,and a 2016 model, let's see what price they come up with.
Old 21st October 2015, 14:13   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
You could have judged it's night function before getting installed. As per my knowledge you have following options
1. Go for rear view mirror tint (excluding the camera display portion)
2. Relocate the reverse camera display from OEM rear view mirror.

By the way which brand is your reverse camera? This will help fellow members to be cautious with that model/brand.

Its Skoda OEM product. Got it installed by dealer.

Its become so difficult to drive at night because of this glare. People with truck like fortuners put extra bright headlights and this almost blinds other drivers. Everyone not following headlight law should get their licenses revoked.

Maybe I should get some anti glare night driving goggles.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:17   #2264
Distinguished - BHPian

And now I got a call from Tafe bangalore saying they already have the style variant and deliveries have started, they also have the new color.

I asked him what is the price he gave me on road price, and din't know ex showroom price. I called vinayak skoda guy whom I was dealing with he said they still have to receive the cars.

No wonder Skoda has such an image in the market.
Old 24th October 2015, 15:33   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I got the air pressure and balancing checked again at another place since I had traveled to a different town. The guy there seemed to suggest that the balancing wasn't done properly while fitting the tyres, he said that the "weights" were placed incorrectly. And the tyre pressure was suggested to be lowered down to 30 from 33. The new tyres are of 205/55/15, any idea if this is correct?
Anyway, after the above changes the car feels much better, although at high speeds such as 140-160 I feel a very slight vibration, which I think is bound to happen.
The issue of vibration at speed is again because of the level of preciseness of the balancing. If I remember correctly, balancing has to be within a tolerance of 10g for speeds up to 110-140kmph and 5g for speeds over that - I'm quoting from memory, so may be wrong about the exact speeds & weights, but fundamentally this is how it works.

So, if you drive at those speeds, get it done from a guy who can do it with more precision.

About tire pressure, they like you to lower it to 30psi because it masks imprecisions in the wheel / balancing, since the sidewall can easily absorb vibrations at lower psi. I normally drive at 34-35psi, and started experience a mild vibration & hum at 120km+. Investigation revealed three of my wheels were slightly bent. I was told to replace wheels, but until I did that, to just drop my tire pressure to 32psi. Guess what, no vibration or hum, even with the bent wheels.

Incidentally, 30psi is lower than even the VW recommended pressure. In fact, we in India regularly drive on low tire pressure - if you want to get a sense of what you tyres are capable of, read the sidewall: you'll see 2 figures, the max. cold pressure & the tire pressure at which it can take max. load. Experts say you should start with tire pressure at max. load and then go up & down to see what you prefer basis your driving style. Mind you, this is cold pressure, so best to check this in the mornings, before driving the car - if you don't have a tire pressure gauge, ideally within 2km of home, while driving slowly.

Last edited by bosporus : 24th October 2015 at 15:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks