Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 13:40   #2356
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I own a Vento and was facing the vibrations even after the discs were skimmed. Was told by the chief mechanic at VW that the vibration is occurring since the wheel bearing is gone. Was advised to change wheel bearing and hub.
Old 19th January 2016, 14:24   #2357
BHPian

Dear All,

I need some guidance from fellow Skoda Rapid owners.

I am currently in the market for an automatic hatch/sedan for a daily commute of about 25 Kms. As it turns out, Skoda is currently running an extremely tempting offer. The dealer in Mumbai is offering me a discount of 1.6 lakhs on the OTR price of the Rapid. This brings the Elegance Rapid Automatic (petrol) to about 10.4 Lakhs on road Mumbai.
Is the deal worth it or should I be pushing for more?

Also what is the average that the 1.6 Liter petrol automatic delivers? The dealer suggested an average of 8 kmpl.

Best,
Enigmatic.
Old 19th January 2016, 15:57   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Did you check the tyre pressure post delivery? These new cars typically have very high/uneven pressure when delivered. Not sure if that is the source of your problem, but may be contributing to it.
Yes, I did.
I immediately drove to the nearest petrol bunk, and had her filled up and corrected the tyre pressure.
The new car had 40 psi pressure, and I corrected it to 32.

I also noticed the car sways only when I step off the accelerator pedal, so I'm guessing the torque steer is ticked off the list. But it sways significantly to the left, and I need to hold the steering to keep it straight.
And like I said earlier, this makes it easier to turn left than right.

I want to go to the service station as soon as possible but sad that this issue is coming up in a brand new car.
Old 19th January 2016, 16:12   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Dear All,

I am currently in the market for an automatic hatch/sedan for a daily commute of about 25 Kms. As it turns out, Skoda is currently running an extremely tempting offer. The dealer in Mumbai is offering me a discount of 1.6 lakhs on the OTR price of the Rapid. This brings the Elegance Rapid Automatic (petrol) to about 10.4 Lakhs on road Mumbai.

Also what is the average that the 1.6 Liter petrol automatic delivers? The dealer suggested an average of 8 kmpl.

Best,
Enigmatic.
If you are looking for the hatch, I would suggest you to look at Polo GT TSi. The engine(Turbo Petrol) and gearbox(DSG) combination is much superior to Rapid 1.6 petrol AT.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:20   #2360
BHPian

Quote:

I bought a Skoda Rapid 2 days ago, and at the time of booking I also got a heavy discount of 1 Lakh rupees and it costed me around 10.7 Lakhs with extended warranty. I guess you can push for more, but not sure if they'll go further.

It could be the case of dealers trying to sell the 2015 make models as customers buying now would demand 2016 ones. Make sure you're getting a November/December make model (mine is November) and not anything older.

I'm getting an average of 9 kmpl on the 150 kms I've driven till now. So yes, expect an average around 8 to 10 kmpl in city driving conditions.
dhruvhersh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:54   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
If you are looking for the hatch, I would suggest you to look at Polo GT TSi. The engine(Turbo Petrol) and gearbox(DSG) combination is much superior to Rapid 1.6 petrol AT.
Thanks for the quick reply Rohan. I test drove the GT Tsi. It is indeed an amazing car. The Tsi engine is bonkers and the 7 speed DSG is brilliant as well. The GT Tsi is costing me about 9.8 lakhs on road Mumbai. With a difference of about 60k, I find the interiors of the Rapid better appointed. Don't get me wrong I am amazed by the GT Tsi, but considering the price difference, the Rapid seems to be a better package overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvhersh View Post
I bought a Skoda Rapid 2 days ago, and at the time of booking I also got a heavy discount of 1 Lakh rupees and it costed me around 10.7 Lakhs with extended warranty. I guess you can push for more, but not sure if they'll go further.

It could be the case of dealers trying to sell the 2015 make models as customers buying now would demand 2016 ones. Make sure you're getting a November/December make model (mine is November) and not anything older.

I'm getting an average of 9 kmpl on the 150 kms I've driven till now. So yes, expect an average around 8 to 10 kmpl in city driving conditions.
Thanks Dhruv,

I'll try to push for more. Did you also get an automatic 1.6 mpi? The average is the only worrisome part for me now.

Best,
Enigmatic.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 17:02   #2362
BHPian

Quote:

Did you also get an automatic 1.6 mpi? The average is the only worrisome part for me now.
I bought a 1.6 MPI Manual Style Plus. The manual gearshift is so slick, I'm amazed by it, but could get cumbersome in bumper to bumper traffic as you won't be shifting at all there.

Unfortunately there is no DSG available for the petrol engine and I wasn't too impressed with the torque converter transmission. Although, its still better than some CVTs I've driven.
Old 19th January 2016, 17:08   #2363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Best,
Enigmatic.
Would be worth checking the month of manufacture. The Rapid AT would be a very slow moving model and the car could be several months old. Also, if I am not wrong, the Elegance is the mid variant, the style/style plus variant comes with several nice features. Would be worth checking if they have a style variant and what kind of offer that they can give on that.

The 6 speed Torque Converter on the Rapid AT is a competent one, but is no match for the TSI+DSG combination. Hence would recommend you consider the Vento TSI also. It maybe a little more expensive, but would be worth it in the long run.

On the average there was a discussion in the Vento thread on the 1.6 Manual FE, responses indicated a city FE of ~9 and a highway FE of max 15.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 10:39   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a 1.6 MPI Manual Style Plus. The manual gearshift is so slick, I'm amazed by it, but could get cumbersome in bumper to bumper traffic as you won't be shifting at all there.

Unfortunately there is no DSG available for the petrol engine and I wasn't too impressed with the torque converter transmission. Although, its still better than some CVTs I've driven.
Congratulations on your Rapid Dhruv. I hope to finalise the deal soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would be worth checking the month of manufacture. The Rapid AT would be a very slow moving model and the car could be several months old. Also, if I am not wrong, the Elegance is the mid variant, the style/style plus variant comes with several nice features. Would be worth checking if they have a style variant and what kind of offer that they can give on that.

The 6 speed Torque Converter on the Rapid AT is a competent one, but is no match for the TSI+DSG combination. Hence would recommend you consider the Vento TSI also. It maybe a little more expensive, but would be worth it in the long run.

On the average there was a discussion in the Vento thread on the 1.6 Manual FE, responses indicated a city FE of ~9 and a highway FE of max 15.
Thanks for the reply Rajeev.

The Elegance variant that the dealer is offering has everything but cruise control and leather seats which are offered on the style plus variant.

Regarding the make, he has assured me that the vehicle is a Q4 2015 make. If I go ahead with the deal, checking the VIN no. would be the first agenda on my list.

The Vento Tsi makes a very strong case for itself. However it is roughly 1.5 Lakhs more expensive than the Rapid. And if I have to stretch my budget by that much then wouldn't the Rapid 1.5 Tdi DSG (which also has a 1.5 lakh discount) be a better buy?

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 20th January 2016 at 10:41.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 22:27   #2365
BHPian

Quote:

Could you please let me know which dealer you bought the vehicle from? Tafe or Vinayaka?
Old 21st January 2016, 06:32   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Vento Tsi makes a very strong case for itself. However it is roughly 1.5 Lakhs more expensive than the Rapid. And if I have to stretch my budget by that much then wouldn't the Rapid 1.5 Tdi DSG (which also has a 1.5 lakh discount) be a better buy?

Best,
Enigmatic
Surprised to hear that the tdi dsg has a 1.5L discount. If you are ok with the increased budget, in my opinion the rapid tdi dsg is the one to go for over the rapid petrol AT.

Coming to the Vento tsi, If both the rapid tdi dsg and the Vento tsi dsg are coming at a similar price, ideally the rapid makes more sense, but since your running is not much, worth looking at the tsi also. The tsi dsg or a tdi dsg is a personal call. There was a thread here on tdi vs tsi. Suggest you TD both once to see which one you like more.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 17:56   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Could you please let me know which dealer you bought the vehicle from? Tafe or Vinayaka?
I bought it from TAFE Access.
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:39   #2368
BHPian

Hi Enigmatic,
not sure if your decision is made,,

Anyway, I am a Rapid owner for more than a year now -albeit the 1.6 TDI..
I think, You are getting a super deal, Rapid is a Solid car, and You won't regret buying,,
for My TDI, I get an average of 13 in City and around 18/19 on highways.. Can't comment on Petrol's efficiency,,
Please verify the manufactured year, should not be older than 2/3 of months from date of purchase...

SKODA A.S.S is very much improved,, I have had very positive experience with then in Pune,, also there are couple of new colours as well,
I am sure, You will enjoy the car,

Hemant

Quote:
Dear All,

Best,
Enigmatic.
Hemant_Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:03   #2369
BHPian

Quote:

Best,
Enigmatic
I was in your same shoes last month. I had my heart on the Vento TSI, however ended by buying the Style Plus TDI A/T because of the following reasons:

1. Discount of ~1.4 Lakhs (Which makes it just a little more costlier than the Highline Vento TSI even after discounts)
2. Projector headlamps
3. Black Package
4. Automatic Rain sensor
5. Auto dimming rear view mirrors

Few points in favor of vento though :
1. Flat bottom steering wheel
2. Foot well lights
3. Voice command & control for Audio

However one quick mention : The POLO GT TSI is a special car and neither Vento nor Rapid can be compared to it. I ruled it out since this is going to be my primary and only car and the POLO second row seats are very very claustrophobic. In case this is going to be your second car, then its a no brainier decision, go for POLO GT TSI

Quote:

I also noticed the car sways only when I step off the accelerator pedal, so I'm guessing the torque steer is ticked off the list. But it sways significantly to the left, and I need to hold the steering to keep it straight.
And like I said earlier, this makes it easier to turn left than right.

I want to go to the service station as soon as possible but sad that this issue is coming up in a brand new car.
Hey dhruvhersh,

Did you get your problem rectified ? I am facing the same issue as yours. Even my car sways to the left. It's not even a week since I have got the car and it has spent two whole days at Skoda Workshop. Both days they returned me the car saying that the problem has been rectified but yet I could feel the car sways to the left on accelerating. I even got the Wheel alignment checked at reputed Tyre Shop (from where I switched to Michelin from the Stock MRF Tyres), even they say that the wheel alignment is perfect. Need to drive with an open mind today and check whether it just the Torque Steer and I am unnecessarily getting paranoid.

But in case its only Torque Steer, wondering the competency level of Skoda Workshop team. They couldn't even identify and pin point the same. In case I still don't feel satisfactory even today, then on Monday the workshop team will get the car checked from Skoda Technical Team. But then again I am not sure how competent they will be !!!!
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 16:35   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
Hey dhruvhersh,

Did you get your problem rectified ? I am facing the same issue as yours. Even my car sways to the left. It's not even a week since I have got the car and it has spent two whole days at Skoda Workshop. Both days they returned me the car saying that the problem has been rectified but yet I could feel the car sways to the left on accelerating. I even got the Wheel alignment checked at reputed Tyre Shop (from where I switched to Michelin from the Stock MRF Tyres), even they say that the wheel alignment is perfect. Need to drive with an open mind today and check whether it just the Torque Steer and I am unnecessarily getting paranoid.

But in case its only Torque Steer, wondering the competency level of Skoda Workshop team. They couldn't even identify and pin point the same. In case I still don't feel satisfactory even today, then on Monday the workshop team will get the car checked from Skoda Technical Team. But then again I am not sure how competent they will be !!!!
Hi,

There was a similar issue with my friends 1day old Vento Highline TDi pulling towards left, the service center guys of VW Hyderabad could not get it rectified even after two days with complete dashboard removed.
He then left the car at the showroom and insisted for refund which in return got him a new car without any issues.
Please escalate the issue and get it rectified.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd January 2016 at 16:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readibility.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks