Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 10:46   #2371
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Surprised to hear that the tdi dsg has a 1.5L discount. If you are ok with the increased budget, in my opinion the rapid tdi dsg is the one to go for over the rapid petrol AT.

Coming to the Vento tsi, If both the rapid tdi dsg and the Vento tsi dsg are coming at a similar price, ideally the rapid makes more sense, but since your running is not much, worth looking at the tsi also. The tsi dsg or a tdi dsg is a personal call. There was a thread here on tdi vs tsi. Suggest you TD both once to see which one you like more.
I was surprised to know about the considerable discounts as well. But this has been confirmed by the dealer. Although the Rapid TDi DSG would be a bit of a stretch, i'm finding it hard to justify it to myself considering a running of about 20-25 kms a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
Hi Enigmatic,
not sure if your decision is made,,

Anyway, I am a Rapid owner for more than a year now -albeit the 1.6 TDI..
I think, You are getting a super deal, Rapid is a Solid car, and You won't regret buying,,
for My TDI, I get an average of 13 in City and around 18/19 on highways.. Can't comment on Petrol's efficiency,,
Please verify the manufactured year, should not be older than 2/3 of months from date of purchase...

SKODA A.S.S is very much improved,, I have had very positive experience with then in Pune,, also there are couple of new colours as well,
I am sure, You will enjoy the car,

Hemant
Thanks for the reply Hemant. I haven't finalised the decision yet but would want to put to come to a conclusion soon. For whatever it's worth, atleast it would put an end to these sleepless nights.

The rapid being offered is manufactured in Q4 of 2015, so I believe it would be max 4 months old which considering the discounts is a decent deal.

The fuel efficiency, as mentioned by other members, would be anywhere between 8 -10 kmpl. That's the only worrisome part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
I was in your same shoes last month. I had my heart on the Vento TSI, however ended by buying the Style Plus TDI A/T because of the following reasons:

1. Discount of ~1.4 Lakhs (Which makes it just a little more costlier than the Highline Vento TSI even after discounts)
2. Projector headlamps
3. Black Package
4. Automatic Rain sensor
5. Auto dimming rear view mirrors

Few points in favor of vento though :
1. Flat bottom steering wheel
2. Foot well lights
3. Voice command & control for Audio

However one quick mention : The POLO GT TSI is a special car and neither Vento nor Rapid can be compared to it. I ruled it out since this is going to be my primary and only car and the POLO second row seats are very very claustrophobic. In case this is going to be your second car, then its a no brainier decision, go for POLO GT TSI
Hey MadAbtCars,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the Rapid makes a lot of sense (specially considering the discounts). The Polo GT Tsi is indeed an amazing car. However, the only problem with the Polo GT Tsi is that, the rapid petrol AT is about 60k more expensive than the GT. For that amount, I get better space in the rear, a more usable boot and somehow I prefer the interiors of the Rapid over the GT.

Hence the dilemma continues.

Best,
Engimatic
Old 25th January 2016, 11:31   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Thanks for the reply. Yes the Rapid makes a lot of sense (specially considering the discounts). The Polo GT Tsi is indeed an amazing car. However, the only problem with the Polo GT Tsi is that, the rapid petrol AT is about 60k more expensive than the GT. For that amount, I get better space in the rear, a more usable boot and somehow I prefer the interiors of the Rapid over the GT.

Hence the dilemma continues.

Best,
Engimatic
The Rapid Petrol AT is not as exciting as the GT TSI / Vento TSI or Rapid Diesel AT. Reason being Rapid doesn't get the TSI motor and DSG gearbox and has to do with the traditional Torque Converter. In that case the Jazz CVT or maybe even the Baleno CVT would be much better buy IMO.

Additionally you may consider the Vento Comfortline which should be available at a similar price point as that Rapid Style Plus AT. Comfortline mostly looses on the Chrome blings, Alloys, Multi function steering wheel and you would get all black interiors similar to GT TSI than the Beige which comes with Highline. Most of the features that are missing in comfortline can be added later on through after market accessories. I guess the Vento CL will have more discounts than the Vento HL. At least that was the case when I was finalizing my purchase.

Hope the above points further increases your dilemma
Old 25th January 2016, 12:35   #2373
BHPian

Need some advice from long term Rapid owners. My car is closing in on 1.5 yrs & I got a call from the service center to schedule a check up. This seems to be apart from the yearly 15k kms service. I do not have any issues with the car as such. I was expecting the car to be due for service only by the end of second year.

Is this mid year check up absolutely necessary ? Will it void warranty if not done ?

I was also told the charges would be around 2k for check-up. Please provide your views.
Old 25th January 2016, 12:45   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Need some advice from long term Rapid owners. My car is closing in on 1.5 yrs & I got a call from the service center to schedule a check up. This seems to be apart from the yearly 15k kms service. I do not have any issues with the car as such. I was expecting the car to be due for service only by the end of second year.

Is this mid year check up absolutely necessary ? Will it void warranty if not done ?

I was also told the charges would be around 2k for check-up. Please provide your views.
Hi suhas_raj,

I do not own a Rapid. But surely, the warranty does not lapse if you get all the scheduled services done as prescribed in the owner's manual.

I would suggest you to call the service centre and ask the detailed scope of the service (what exactly will be done and item wise cost breakup). Also ask why a service beyond the prescribed schedule is necessary.

If they say this service is mandatory, ask them to send you in writing.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 25th January 2016 at 12:46.
Old 25th January 2016, 13:02   #2375
BHPian

Quote:

This is nothing but intermediate checkup i.e, 7500 kms or 6 months from the most recent service. This is advised but not mandatory. This will not void warranty for sure.

They clean the air/AC filers and check engine oil level etc. If you can do the engine oil level check on your own, no need to get this check-up done.
Old 25th January 2016, 15:26   #2376
BHPian

Rapid is a great car, almost a year and half later from purchase, I still feel a rush of excitement, when I step in my car..
1.5 lakh's is a huge discount. Whatever money You save on this offer can be factored into your future fuel bills,

I would suggest you to consider Diesel as well, if you can stretch - even if your daily run is less. Not sure if You have factored in about prospects of long drives in your calculations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I was surprised to know about the considerable discounts as well. But this has been confirmed by the dealer. Although the Rapid TDi DSG would be a bit of a stretch, i'm finding it hard to justify it to myself considering a running of about 20-25 kms a day.
Old 28th January 2016, 23:03   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post

Hey dhruvhersh,

Did you get your problem rectified ? I am facing the same issue as yours. Even my car sways to the left. It's not even a week since I have got the car and it has spent two whole days at Skoda Workshop. Both days they returned me the car saying that the problem has been rectified but yet I could feel the car sways to the left on accelerating. I even got the Wheel alignment checked at reputed Tyre Shop (from where I switched to Michelin from the Stock MRF Tyres), even they say that the wheel alignment is perfect. Need to drive with an open mind today and check whether it just the Torque Steer and I am unnecessarily getting paranoid.

But in case its only Torque Steer, wondering the competency level of Skoda Workshop team. They couldn't even identify and pin point the same. In case I still don't feel satisfactory even today, then on Monday the workshop team will get the car checked from Skoda Technical Team. But then again I am not sure how competent they will be !!!!
The problem I was facing is a very minute one. Since I've got my car, I was trying to nitpick any faults that can come up initially.
I've had stock Apollo Alnac fitted onto my Rapid, which are decent, so not going for a change as of now.

My car was steering towards the left when I step off the accelerator. Else it's pretty much aligned. I don't feel it until I think about it; had this been a TD vehicle, I wouldn't have even noticed. Like you said, drive with an open mind, and you won't feel the (slight) steering misalignment.

My sales consultant said that the Rapid sways a little to the left naturally, but I'm not buying that, at all.
Haven't checked with a Tyre shop about the balancing/alignment, since I was out of station, but will let you know what comes from it.

Also, one thing I noted later on, the dashboard of the Rapid is slightly tilted towards the right. i.e. if you're trying to level the steering straight while looking to the instrument cluster (like I do), the steering is actually slightly turned towards the right, and similarly a straight steering feels a little to the left. All relative to the dashboard/instrument cluster position. I'll explain it with pics when I find some free time.
Old 29th January 2016, 05:31   #2378
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvhersh View Post
My sales consultant said that the Rapid sways a little to the left naturally, but I'm not buying that, at all.
these rubber-mouths will just say anything but never will say - sorry sir, I dont know.

Quote:
Also, one thing I noted later on, the dashboard of the Rapid is slightly tilted towards the right. i.e. if you're trying to level the steering straight while looking to the instrument cluster (like I do), the steering is actually slightly turned towards the right, and similarly a straight steering feels a little to the left. All relative to the dashboard/instrument cluster position. I'll explain it with pics when I find some free time.
finally ! someone else who finds this irritating - i always pretend not to notice this everytime i step into the cabin.
Old 29th January 2016, 07:14   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Also, one thing I noted later on, the dashboard of the Rapid is slightly tilted towards the right.
I'm sorry but I couldn't discern your statement. Are you saying that the dashboard is actually tilted to right as in vertical plane or is it driver oriented?

I've been driving Rapid for more than 2 years but never noticed such tilt but the dash looks slightly driver oriented for sure.
Old 29th January 2016, 17:27   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
The problem I was facing is a very minute one. Since I've got my car, I was trying to nitpick any faults that can come up initially.
Exactly !! We are so used to Skoda Horror stories that even I was trying to nitpick any fault. That said, I have tested the vehicle over long straights with the mechanic in co-driver seat who did wheel alignment. Initially the car goes straight and only after few meters does it sway left. Even the mechanic said that the car will simply not keep going straight unless you hold the steering and will sway left or right depending upon the banking of the road. Later I drove on a service lane which had a left to right sloping banking, and yes the car was now swaying towards right after driving a few meters.

It's ironical that even after driving for more than 1Lac+ KMS in past 7 years I was so blindfolded by the reputation of Skoda that I overruled my driving instincts and kept cursing my luck and Skoda.

Quote:
I've had stock Apollo Alnac fitted onto my Rapid, which are decent, so not going for a change as of now.
Apollo Alnac's are good. I wouldn't have changed if I had got mine with Apollo's. In fact I had never considered Tyre change / upgrade in my budget thinking the stock Tyres would be Alnac. However I was to see MRF and drove straight to the Tyre shop after taking delivery. I was planning to change the HU to the Android or similar HU that many have installed in their Polo's & Vento's but now I will have to do with the Stock HU as of now owing to budget being utilized for the Tyre change.

Quote:

Also, one thing I noted later on, the dashboard of the Rapid is slightly tilted towards the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post

I've been driving Rapid for more than 2 years but never noticed such tilt but the dash looks slightly driver oriented for sure.
I guess he means the dashboard is driver oriented which actually is the case. It's personal preference and choice. Some may like it whereas some won't. I had a Getz earlier which also had a driver oriented Dashboard and I am quite used to such a layout. I in fact like the orientation
Old 7th February 2016, 12:43   #2381
BHPian

I find that my Rapid's suspension has got softer compared to say how it was when I bought it 20 months ago. It keeps pitching & bobbing more than I used to feel earlier. I initially suspected it to be an issue with tyre pressure but over the last month I have tried varying that but never got to point where I fell it is right. Any suggestions ?
Old 7th February 2016, 14:07   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have tried varying that but never got to point where I fell it is right. Any suggestions ?
If you are keeping the tyre pressure at 32-33 and still feel that way, its time to get your suspension checked, vertical movement means your dampers are not working properly, time to get you shock absorbers/dampers checked.

I had faced this issue in my Vento at 34k kms and the rear shock absorbers were shot, they had lost their damping and were leaking oil as well. Changed them to TRW make and solved the problem, were much stiffer than stock, car was more planted over undulations and also solved the rear thud problem.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 21:24   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If you are keeping the tyre pressure at 32-33 and still feel that way, its time to get your suspension checked, vertical movement means your dampers are not working properly, time to get you shock absorbers/dampers checked.

I had faced this issue in my Vento at 34k kms and the rear shock absorbers were shot, they had lost their damping and were leaking oil as well.
Thanks mate. A couple of questions. What are the chances of this happening to a car that's run about 14k kms only ? Secondly if the dampers are the culprit then are they covered under standard manufacturer warranty ?
Old 14th February 2016, 14:57   #2384

Hi Everyone.

Greetings from Hyderabad.

I bought a pre-owned Skoda Rapid. Details below:

Version: 1.6TDI Elegance Manual.
Make: Aug 14.
Date of original purchase: 21-10-2014.
6 month service done: Apr'15 37xx kms.
1 yr service done: Oct'15 67xx kms.
Present ODO: 87xx kms.
Colour: Midnight black.
Extended warranty upto: Oct'19.

Rear view camera, parking sensors, skuff plates, bumper/door guards fitted by the original owner.

My purchase date: 8-2-2016.
Price paid: Rs.8.4L.

I purchased it from a Microsoft executive who has, as of today, relocated back to the US. We did the deal directly (thanks to OLX).

I listened to my heart and bought it - hope the price is OK. Black is a difficult color to maintain; but I guess I can do it.

I applied for name transfer online, and while the RTA transferred the vehicle in my name in 24 hrs flat (Rs.535 fees only), the Insurance (Cholamandalam) company states that it will take 15 days to transfer the insurance in my name. Absurd. So I will have to wait some more time, before I can take the black (Panther is OK?) on a drive!

To do: Detailing products to be purchased to maintain the car's great looks and a cool TBHP sticker. Need the Community's advices/leads on the detailing products.

I am attaching some pictures to show the vehicle's condition. Most pictures speak for themselves. Please share your views.

Guess I now have the ticket to the Skoda Rapid Owners' group!

Sudharshan

ps: I forgot to take pictures of the boot and spare wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp1.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp6.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp2.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp5.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp3.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp12.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp13.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp14.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp15.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp18.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp20.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp29.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp23.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp25.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp26.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp27.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp31.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp34.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp33.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-tbhp9.jpg  

Old 15th February 2016, 16:51   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsudhir View Post
Hi Everyone.

Greetings from Hyderabad.

I bought a pre-owned Skoda Rapid. Details below:

ps: I forgot to take pictures of the boot and spare wheel.

Don't know when Skoda stopped putting the TDI badge on the Rapid.

Congratulations on a brilliant, low mileage car at a great price. The ownership experience is unmatched at that price, Skoda Service notwithstanding.

Maintaining the colour will not be a problem because the paint quality is fantastic. Just ensure that no-one does a bucket and one wash cloth wash, and do not employ anyone to wash the car at home. Depending on how dusty the areas where you live and work are, just get the car professionally washed (pressure spray wah, foam spray, micro fibre towel only) once or twice a week and she'll remain gleaming for years.

Congratulations again, and do start a purchase and ownership thread once you cover a few kms to keep us updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks