Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 23:02   #2521
BHPian

I bought them from a friend who wanted to upgrade but didn't have the patience to install or fix them (with all the trouble involved). He got them shipped last year from superskoda and has had them with him since. They did have a few scratches on them..I paid him 7k for the set, he was giving them to me for free!
I was actually going to buy these from superskoda myself, he saved me the costs for sure, troubles are all mine.

I'm unable to attach a picture from my phone, will upload one from home.

Anyway, coming back to the high beam, I figured since the solenoid gets power when the high beam or pass stalk is pressed, it needs a connection from the solenoid wire to the bulb. I'm going to try this as usual my self, and add a relay to the connection with a fuse just in case.

Trust me I feel better doing this to a second hand (technically) set than to a one I'd have picked up otherwise.

Will let you all know soon, how it went.

Cheers,
Aayush
aayushnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 02:58   #2522
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
I bought them from a friend who wanted to upgrade but didn't have the patience to install or fix them (with all the trouble involved). He got them shipped last year from superskoda and has had them with him since.
I see that these are for the 2010+ models. Mine is a 2008 model, wondering if Skoda launched a Monte Carlo Edition for 2008+ Fabia. The light throw is very poor, was thinking to get the projectors from the Elegance trim level, but would love to get the Monte Carlo type Black shade headlamps.How much did your friend spend in total, including customs.

Mods: Apologies for attacking the Rapid thread. Was just curious looking at the headlamps topic for Fabia.
Old 7th August 2016, 21:42   #2523
BHPian

True that, sorry guys that we're posting stuff about Fabia's here!
Just an update though..I fixed the wiring and now my Monte Carlos are working just fine, with all high/low/pass. I also installed Osram HIDs 4200K lights to go with the setup and there is a night and day difference compared to halogens.
A full diy guide soon, happy motoring and sorry about the hijack!

Cheers
Old 7th August 2016, 22:23   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
True that, sorry guys that we're posting stuff about Fabia's here!
Just an update though..I fixed the wiring and now my Monte Carlos are working just fine, with all high/low/pass. I also installed Osram HIDs 4200K lights to go with the setup and there is a night and day difference compared to halogens.
A full diy guide soon, happy motoring and sorry about the hijack!

Cheers
Hi Aayush,

Iam also equally excited like you about your DIY of Monte Carlo head light on your fabia. I was just wondering how the new looking head units will fit on to an old model fabia. Monte Carlo edition of new rapid is too hot for me to resist and i just cant wait to get my hands on that beuty.

Hence i would find more solace if you can quicky put in a report on your diy guide with snaps.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 23:02   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hi Aayush,

Iam also equally excited like you about your DIY of Monte Carlo head light on your fabia. I was just wondering how the new looking head units will fit on to an old model fabia. Monte Carlo edition of new rapid is too hot for me to resist and i just cant wait to get my hands on that beuty.

Hence i would find more solace if you can quicky put in a report on your diy guide with snaps.
Hi there, I was checking a lot of info about headlights for my car and from what I've seen and found out, the lights which fit on the fabia F/L (face lift) models (2011+ with the bigger angular fog lights) are not the same as on the older ones. The difference is the mounting structures. Just Google fabia headlights and you'll be able to see the difference.
So..the Monte Carlo ones were only made from the 2010+ series till 2014.
If you still want a projector setup there is one in the old one too (bi-xenons) that you could pickup.

Anyway, hope I'm wrong and wish you the best!

I'll share a report over next weekend.

Cheers.
Old 8th August 2016, 22:55   #2526
BHPian

I have brought a Skoda Rapid 1.6 petrol this May and the car has completed around 1200 kms mainly used for office commute. The performance of the car is very good from all aspects.
I had two questions :
1. What is the average I can expect? Currently I am getting around 10kmpl.
2. What is the idling rpm of skoda rapid petrol? When I start the car it is around 1100 and if I switch it off say at a traffic light and start it again then it is 900 rpm. Is this the expected behaviour?
Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 00:00   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Anyone recently got engine guard for old Rapid (like, 2012 model)? Today I saw something similar at service center (made of hard plastic) and they are quoting 11,000/- (including labor charges).

I think it comes with latest Rapid's and it should be really a good add-on, however wanted to hear from someone who got it installed on old Rapid's.
http://www.vagtune.in/volkswagen/vw-...genuine-detail

Costs 8.8k online and so you can get it installed outside if necessary. Let me know if you go through with this - I am interested in the same for my Polo but this welding on the chassis business sounds a little dodgy.
Old 12th August 2016, 11:15   #2528
BHPian

Can anyone suggest better brake pads for the rapid?
I am planning for installing the tuning box and hence want the upgrade.
Old 13th August 2016, 13:19   #2529
BHPian

I've got brembos on my car (fabia), they're way better than stock! You'll get them for the rapid too.
Old 14th August 2016, 08:43   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
I have brought a Skoda Rapid 1.6 petrol this May and the car has completed around 1200 kms mainly used for office commute. The performance of the car is very good from all aspects.
I had two questions :
1. What is the average I can expect? Currently I am getting around 10kmpl.
2. What is the idling rpm of skoda rapid petrol? When I start the car it is around 1100 and if I switch it off say at a traffic light and start it again then it is 900 rpm. Is this the expected behaviour?
Thanks
Congrats on your new acquisition.
1. The average we get is around 10-12kmpl within the city. On highways you can expect 14kmpl.
2. Usually during morning start the idling rpm will be at 1100 rpm but settles down to 900 rpm after a minute or so. So when ever I have to take the car out, i'll start the car and let it idle for a minute which is a recommended practice for long life of the engine.
Hope this helps.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:59   #2531
BHPian

Brake discs Replace vs refurbish at a Lathe for Rapid TDI ?

I have a Rapid TDI( Sept 2012). Done 87K and was at service center on saturday. service adviser told me brake pads will last for 500 more kms and i immediately asked him to replace it.
Skoda recommends to replace the brake discs too which i had done earlier at 30K kms. This time i took a chance and got the discs repaired on a lathe. Cost me 900 INR all incusive(got it done at a local garage). I am happy with the braking with these new brake pads and refurbised discs.

Question is if i have taken a risk here ? the discs are thick enough and the lathe just scraped a few mm of it. i personally dont see anything but need expert advise. do i really need to replace the discs. this costs 7K INR for the replace.

SA at JMD Nerul, Navi Mumbai advised me that i may need a few things changed at around 1 lakh kms
Suspension / Bushes replacement - this will cost close to 45K
engine timing belt - estimate 40K
Clutch plate - Still doing well. but may deterorate. i have used clutch close to 1lakh kms on all my vehicles till now since 2000. I expect this one to last longer . lets see. -estimate 40K.

Need advise if this work is to be carried out at service station or should be done outside ?
I am thinking engine timing belt at service station and rest outside.

What else can fail ? if i am to spend 1.5 lakhs in near future and if there is more to come is it worth replacing the vehicle ?

I love the car and currently there is no work to be done. Havent needed any major repairs till now other than normal servicing at 15K kms and i am very happy to continue with the vehicle. Please advise.
Old 29th August 2016, 17:33   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Hi 1.6,

Have you tried rotating the steering wheel a little while unlocking? This happened with my father as well, he wasn't aware of the steering wheel locking mechanism which gets engaged when you rotate the steering after removing the key. The next time you start it, you have to rotate the steering a bit (either side) for the key to turn in the lock cylinder fully.

If this works, then it is expected behaviour, nothing to worry.

Cheers,
Sid.
The lock cylinder was replaced at Vinayak Skoda, where the vehicle was kept at the workshop for 26 days, as the part had to arrive from Aurangabad(guess someone walked with it to Bangalore ). It was done under warranty and now works like a charm and Back to enjoying the little monster!
The most frustrating part is that these guys have no parts in stock, everything needs to come from Czech Republic or Aurangabad or Chakan. And they never come at the promised time. The SA initially told me 5 days. Have almost decided to sell of the car and get a Maruti/Hyundai :(
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:35   #2533
BHPian

Hi All,

One of my front left power window not working after 2days of foam wash and lately my boot lid switch also hardly responding. Can any one please suggest any tip or advise if these are covered under extended warranty(car 3+ yrs old).
Thanks in advance
Old 4th September 2016, 00:54   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
Hi All,

One of my front left power window not working after 2days of foam wash and lately my boot lid switch also hardly responding. Can any one please suggest any tip or advise if these are covered under extended warranty(car 3+ yrs old).
Thanks in advance

Definitely should be covered by Extended Warranty. Unless they determine that water ingress has caused the damaged.
Athani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 07:03   #2535
BHPian

Also, just in case it isn't - the switch module is not very expensive at least as a part procured separately from outside the skoda dealership network - it costs around Rs. 400 for the single module.
I too faced issues like this and I just dismantled the whole switch cleaned it with wd40, dried it and voila it's working again!
Cheers.
aayushnair is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks