Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 17:09   #2956
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post

I have been noticing the fan noise to be extremely high and it keeps running most of the time when engine is on and runs for a while after the engine is switched off. Also I have issues with AC which doesn't cool as soon as I start the car.
I faced the same issue when the coolant reservoir developed a leak and the coolant levels were extremely low. The fan staying on could be because your engine is not getting sufficiently cooled, again I'm not an expert, but that's the first thing I would check.

The AC issue, could be compressor related or could be due to a gas leak, this I will let the more knowledgeable members opine on.
Old 27th November 2021, 13:29   #2957

Two days ago, our Rapid struggled to climb a steep ramp. I heard the engine cry during the climb followed by a weird burning smell emanating from the front grill. So, I immediately opened the bonnet to check, but I couldn't find anything.

Next morning, I fired up the car and let it idle for 5 minutes to check for any smell, but I couldn't find anything. So, I took the car out for a drive in the city and checked again, but again I couldn't find anything.

What could've lead to the burning smell?

Is it safe to drive the car?

We bought this car (It's a 2021 Rider Plus Manual variant) 3-4 months ago, and haven't faced any problems so far.

Thanks in advance
Old 27th November 2021, 16:10   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Two days ago, our Rapid struggled to climb a steep ramp. I heard the engine cry during the climb followed by a weird burning smell emanating from the front grill. So, I immediately opened the bonnet to check, but I couldn't find anything. What could've lead to the burning smell? Is it safe to drive the car? Thanks in advance
In all probability it was your clutch getting cooked due to excessive half clutch and accelerator inputs! It shouldn't be a problem now unless it happens frequently. Though this will shorten the life of the clutch by a small %, it is safe to drive the car.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 19:08   #2959

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
In all probability it was your clutch getting cooked due to excessive half clutch and accelerator inputs! It shouldn't be a problem now unless it happens frequently. Though this will shorten the life of the clutch by a small %, it is safe to drive the car.
Understood.

Should I get the clutch checked just to be on the safe side?

Also, how much percentage are we talking about here? Because my dad told me that the clutch feels a little loose after that fiasco.

I just hope that my car is in one piece
Old 27th November 2021, 19:54   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Understood. Should I get the clutch checked just to be on the safe side? Also, how much percentage are we talking about here? Because my dad told me that the clutch feels a little loose after that fiasco. I just hope that my car is in one piece
Sure you may get it checked for peace of mind (don't tell the service folks what actually happened, just tell them that it feels a bit off). As for the clutch life, let's say you better not do it again to ensure it lasts a while. Keep an eye out for any noticeable loss of power and mileage, and if that's fine then no need to worry!
Old 27th November 2021, 20:43   #2961

Quote:
Sure you may get it checked for peace of mind (don't tell the service folks what actually happened, just tell them that it feels a bit off). As for the clutch life, let's say you better not do it again to ensure it lasts a while. Keep an eye out for any noticeable loss of power and mileage, and if that's fine then no need to worry!
Will burning the clutch lead to loss of power and mileage?

Let's simply assume that there is a loss of power and mileage, what can be done to fix it?

Also my dad daily drives the car to his office, so I'll make sure to inform him to keep an eye out.
Old 27th November 2021, 21:57   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Will burning the clutch lead to loss of power and mileage? Let's simply assume that there is a loss of power and mileage, what can be done to fix it? Also my dad daily drives the car to his office, so I'll make sure to inform him to keep an eye out.
No it will only happen if the clutch is damaged enough to start slipping when fully engaged. You can get away with burning the clutch a few times. If there's indeed loss of power and mileage then the only solution is to replace the clutch plate.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:42   #2963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It could also be the rear drum brake binding. Happened to me a lot of times, when I take the car out after a few days of rest especially during monsoons. So get that checked also.
Old 4th February 2022, 13:14   #2964

Hi,

My rapid tsi has been having a few niggles of late. Initially the abs light came on about a month ago, during which the car was failing to auto lock the doors, but went away after a few days. Nowadays, during startup and running the car suddenly goes haywire. The brakes go non existent, with clicking sounds coming in, and plethora of lights coming up on the dash, including EPC, after which the car behaves as if it's running on its last legs, hesitant and feeling like its going to die. Is this the so called "limp mode" that everyone here is talking about, and could it be because of the faulty abs sensors?
Old 20th April 2022, 19:39   #2965

Hello all, I own a 2016 Rapid 1.5 tdi dsg done close to 52000 kms. The car was serviced at ASC 6 months back along with replacement of new battery as well as tires. Lately I have noticed that at idle the rpms surge to 1000 even with a warm engine. In a dsg when You fully depress brake pedal in D mode to come to a halt the rpms falls to 750 800 range. However, since last few weeks the high rpm issue is being noticed and the rpms stay locked at 1000. This has been seen first time since my close to 6 years of ownership.Idling at 1000 rpm also makes the engine sound quite gruff and stopping at signals has become quite cumbersome with such NVH levels.
One thing to note is while driving on highways and slowing down, the rpms do settle in normal range however as you idle for more than 20 seconds it again shoots up.
Scanning shows no fault codes.
Experts please advice what could be the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-20220329_150228.jpg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th April 2022 at 20:45.
Old 20th April 2022, 20:21   #2966
BHPian

Default Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugo_93 View Post
Hello all, I own a 2016 Rapid tdi dsg done close to 52000 kms. The car was serviced at ASC 6 months back along with replacement of new battery as well as tires. Lately I have noticed that at idle the rpms surge to 1000 even with a warm engine. In a dsg when You fully depress brake pedal in D mode to come to a halt the rpms falls to 750 800 range. However, since last few weeks the high rpm issue is being noticed and the rpms stay locked at 1000. This has been seen first time since my close to 6 years of ownership.Idling at 1000 rpm also makes the engine sound quite gruff and stopping at signals has become quite cumbersome with such NVH levels.
One thing to note is while driving on highways and slowing down, the rpms do settle in normal range however as you idle for more than 20 seconds it again shoots up.
Scanning shows no fault codes.
Experts please advice what could be the issue.
Mods: please post this query at appropriate place if needed. Thank you.
Have you checked your engine temperature while idling? It could be that the cooling fan is running overtime, and that is causing the NVH sound to go up. When the car is running, the flow of air helps cools down the engine. But when the car is idle, it is only the fan that is cooling. If that fan is malfunctioning, or if the sensor that regulates that fan malfunctions, then you might face the issue.

It still doesn't explain the RMP being at 1K though. Could be related to injectors too.
Old 20th April 2022, 20:26   #2967

Default Re: IndianOil rolls out green fuel "XtraGreen" at 126 Fuel Stations across 63 cities in India

The car drives perfectly normal. Even fuel economy is same as before. Coolant temperature stays at 90 degress throughout, and the fan shuts down as the engine is turned off with no excessive run time.
Cannot figure out what can be the issue.
Old 19th May 2022, 19:49   #2968
BHPian

Some photos of my car from a late night drive and one from the next day morning. I was blown away from the FE figures a 1.6 NA can put out if driven sedately. It has already proven its capability while accelerating in straight line and impeccable steering response around curves. Photos were taken after parking the car by the side of the road.
Name:  Mileage_1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  Mileage_2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  61.9 KB
Guru_GPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:06   #2969

I own a 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI done 88000kms. Suddenly noticed a weird thing. I have started hearing fuel sloshing noise from the fuel tank, specifically from under the rear seat.
I was also getting the check engine light everytime a did a refuel which used to go after a restart of the engine.
The Skoda mechanics have not been able to diagnose the issue.
Would be grateful if someone offered some help on this one.
Old 9th July 2022, 11:22   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
This one is a keeper until that turbo-petrol octavia brings up its head.
The Rapid is now sold. A month ago. That turbo petrol dream did happen, twice over
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-1e621c54ad5b467ea85567b77dd9413a.jpeg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-bd0b3fc95ab74972b99c43c8612c5469.jpeg  

Most Viewed