Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 17:09   #2956
BHPian
 
Shome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 347
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post

I have been noticing the fan noise to be extremely high and it keeps running most of the time when engine is on and runs for a while after the engine is switched off. Also I have issues with AC which doesn't cool as soon as I start the car.
I faced the same issue when the coolant reservoir developed a leak and the coolant levels were extremely low. The fan staying on could be because your engine is not getting sufficiently cooled, again I'm not an expert, but that's the first thing I would check.

The AC issue, could be compressor related or could be due to a gas leak, this I will let the more knowledgeable members opine on.
Shome is offline  
Old 27th November 2021, 13:29   #2957
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 11
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Two days ago, our Rapid struggled to climb a steep ramp. I heard the engine cry during the climb followed by a weird burning smell emanating from the front grill. So, I immediately opened the bonnet to check, but I couldn't find anything.

Next morning, I fired up the car and let it idle for 5 minutes to check for any smell, but I couldn't find anything. So, I took the car out for a drive in the city and checked again, but again I couldn't find anything.


What could've lead to the burning smell?

Is it safe to drive the car?

We bought this car (It's a 2021 Rider Plus Manual variant) 3-4 months ago, and haven't faced any problems so far.

Thanks in advance
Frostbite is offline  
Old 27th November 2021, 16:10   #2958
BHPian
 
nitkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 842 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Two days ago, our Rapid struggled to climb a steep ramp. I heard the engine cry during the climb followed by a weird burning smell emanating from the front grill. So, I immediately opened the bonnet to check, but I couldn't find anything. What could've lead to the burning smell? Is it safe to drive the car? Thanks in advance
In all probability it was your clutch getting cooked due to excessive half clutch and accelerator inputs! It shouldn't be a problem now unless it happens frequently. Though this will shorten the life of the clutch by a small %, it is safe to drive the car.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 19:08   #2959
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 11
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
In all probability it was your clutch getting cooked due to excessive half clutch and accelerator inputs! It shouldn't be a problem now unless it happens frequently. Though this will shorten the life of the clutch by a small %, it is safe to drive the car.
Understood.

Should I get the clutch checked just to be on the safe side?

Also, how much percentage are we talking about here? Because my dad told me that the clutch feels a little loose after that fiasco.

I just hope that my car is in one piece
Frostbite is offline  
Old 27th November 2021, 19:54   #2960
BHPian
 
nitkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 842 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Understood. Should I get the clutch checked just to be on the safe side? Also, how much percentage are we talking about here? Because my dad told me that the clutch feels a little loose after that fiasco. I just hope that my car is in one piece
Sure you may get it checked for peace of mind (don't tell the service folks what actually happened, just tell them that it feels a bit off). As for the clutch life, let's say you better not do it again to ensure it lasts a while. Keep an eye out for any noticeable loss of power and mileage, and if that's fine then no need to worry!
nitkel is offline  
Old 27th November 2021, 20:43   #2961
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 11
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Sure you may get it checked for peace of mind (don't tell the service folks what actually happened, just tell them that it feels a bit off). As for the clutch life, let's say you better not do it again to ensure it lasts a while. Keep an eye out for any noticeable loss of power and mileage, and if that's fine then no need to worry!
Will burning the clutch lead to loss of power and mileage?

Let's simply assume that there is a loss of power and mileage, what can be done to fix it?


Also my dad daily drives the car to his office, so I'll make sure to inform him to keep an eye out.
Frostbite is offline  
Old 27th November 2021, 21:57   #2962
BHPian
 
nitkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 842 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Will burning the clutch lead to loss of power and mileage? Let's simply assume that there is a loss of power and mileage, what can be done to fix it? Also my dad daily drives the car to his office, so I'll make sure to inform him to keep an eye out.
No it will only happen if the clutch is damaged enough to start slipping when fully engaged. You can get away with burning the clutch a few times. If there's indeed loss of power and mileage then the only solution is to replace the clutch plate.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:42   #2963
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,438
Thanked: 1,915 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
In all probability it was your clutch getting cooked due to excessive half clutch and accelerator inputs! It shouldn't be a problem now unless it happens frequently. Though this will shorten the life of the clutch by a small %, it is safe to drive the car.
It could also be the rear drum brake binding. Happened to me a lot of times, when I take the car out after a few days of rest especially during monsoons. So get that checked also.
Aroy is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks