Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 19:04   #346
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

What tyres does the Elegance TDI come with as OEM?
Old 11th January 2012, 21:41   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishanth.shegde View Post
The following brands are have 185 / 60 R15 tyres (Bangalore Rates mentioned):

Michelin XM1 - Rs.5125 per trye
Bridgestone - ER 300 - Rs 4880 per tyre
- B 250 - 4600 per tyre
Apollo Accelere - 4200 per tyre

Hope this helps !
I have 195/60 R15 Pirelli P7 on my Skoda Rapid and I can tell you that this is the best size. You get great handling without losing ride comfort. This is a practical choice if youd ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
What tyres does the Elegance TDI come with as OEM?
185/60 R15 Apollo Accellere

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th January 2012 at 21:45. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:26   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
@ajitmoses - I checked this today in my vento and the bonnet cannot be opened with the doors closed. I think it is by design, where the doorpad hinders the free movement of bonnet release lever.

I dont really know if it is a safety measure or not, but its again similar to the front wipers which can be pulled up only in the service position.
This is by design for VW cars. It is same for my Jetta as well. I had asked the SE about this & he mentioned this to be a safety feature. As the bonnet release lever is in the driver footwell it can unintentionally be triggered by the foot which would be dangerous if the car is being driven.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:37   #349
BHPian

BHPians, if somebody can give me the following info it would be very helpful.

I am getting the delivery of Rapid TDI Ambition this weekend and am looking for the following info:

1. Does Ambition variant also come with "5 hole 100 PCD " 14' steel wheels or the specs are different for 14' steel wheels? I mean, can I put any 5 hole 100 PCD 15' alloy wheels( losing warranty on the suspension is not an issue) ?

2. Anybody has the detailed specs of the Elegance alloy wheels ? I know that its 5 hole 100 PCD 15'. Along with this there are other parameters also. If its mentioned in the user manual, can somebody post it ?

3. Any idea, where can I get 5 hole 100 PCD 15' STEEL wheel in Bangalore? I am trying for the alloy wheels but looks like they are not available. So thinking os putting steel wheels as I want to upsize to 185 profile tyres. Is this a good idea given than alloy wheels are not available and I am not so particular about the looks? All I want is 185 profile tyres.

Please post if you have info for any of the above mentioned questions.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:56   #350
mxx
BHPian

Quote:

1. Does Ambition variant also come with "5 hole 100 PCD " 14' steel wheels or the specs are different for 14' steel wheels? I mean, can I put any 5 hole 100 PCD 15' alloy wheels( losing warranty on the suspension is not an issue) ?
When I enquired about alloy wheels for ambition during test drive, the skoda sales guy itself told me that skoda branded(elegance alloy) will be expensive, you can go for aftermarket ones.
So, I dont think there will be a warranty issue. But you need to confirm with the service guys too.
BTW, the elegance alloy/tire combo will cost you around 52k.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:48   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
When I enquired about alloy wheels for ambition during test drive, the skoda sales guy itself told me that skoda branded(elegance alloy) will be expensive, you can go for aftermarket ones.
So, I dont think there will be a warranty issue. But you need to confirm with the service guys too.
BTW, the elegance alloy/tire combo will cost you around 52k.

Thanks MXX.

I spoke to Tafe Access and they are fine with any brand as long as I am putting 185 profile tyres. They also said that getting a 100 PCD with 5 hole is difficult and asked me to try for 100 PCD with multiple holes (say 8 or 9) so that they fit in.

So looking for something that fits into the Ambition variant.
Old 13th January 2012, 00:15   #352
Senior - BHPian

Nishanth - 5 Hole 100 PCD, 15" alloys are available plenty in the market. You can check lenso, plati, HRS etc. Plati's website mentions all the designs that are available that you can order through their dealers.

Shops in Bangalore probably has some of the best alloy collections IMO. Just do a search in the forum, you will find plenty of options.

Quote:
Thanks MXX.

I spoke to Tafe Access and they are fine with any brand as long as I am putting 185 profile tyres. They also said that getting a 100 PCD with 5 hole is difficult and asked me to try for 100 PCD with multiple holes (say 8 or 9) so that they fit in.

So looking for something that fits into the Ambition variant.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:43   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Nishanth - 5 Hole 100 PCD, 15" alloys are available plenty in the market. You can check lenso, plati, HRS etc. Plati's website mentions all the designs that are available that you can order through their dealers.

Shops in Bangalore probably has some of the best alloy collections IMO. Just do a search in the forum, you will find plenty of options.

Thanks Bala.

I have spoken to many shops and all of them have 5 hole 100 PCD but the problem is, all these are minimum 6.5 of 7 inch width. Skoda's alloys come with 6' width and they are perfect for 185 profile tyres. 6.5 or 7 will be wider for 185 profile (correct me if I am wrong). I want to put 185 profile tyres and so getting a 6' width alloy has become difficult.

Also, any idea, how good is Plati brand ? Some shops said its a chinese brand and not good in quality. Is that true ?
Old 13th January 2012, 23:24   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda's alloys come with 6' width and they are perfect for 185 profile tyres. 6.5 or 7 will be wider for 185 profile (correct me if I am wrong). I want to put 185 profile tyres and so getting a 6' width alloy has become difficult.
Sorry to butt in, but I always feel that a sedan of the level of performance similar to the Rapid should have 195 wide tyres at least. In fact, 185 wide tyres for bigger (and powerful) hatchbacks and 195 width tyres for sedans give them very good stability.
My suggestion is that you choose nice 6.5" wide wheels and buy 195 width tyres.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 01:06   #355
Senior - BHPian

Right, I tend to agree with architect. 185 section tyres are just about adequate especially considering the amount of torque on offer. You can safely upsize to 195/60/15 tyres with a deviation from stock size of less than 2%. If the dealer quotes the warranty BS, ask him the stock size of ambition and elegance have a deviation in size and how that is acceptable. He doesnt know what he is talking about.

Plati is quite a known and reputed brand and they are indian by origin, check their website at ::PlatiIndia.com:: Alloy Wheels for Every car, Design of Future., it gives you all their design, the rim spec's as well. They have a distribution center in bangalore too.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 18:57   #356
BHPian

Visited the Skoda showroom here to have a first-hand look at the Rapid (a for-delivery white Elegance MPI A/T), and I must say the car certainly stands up to Skoda's long-standing reputation for the sheer good looks of their cars.

This one certainly looks great in white, and completely dominated the showroom floor. It looks at first glance like a slightly smaller Laura, and exudes an air of poise and character that the Vento just cannot match. This car makes the its cousin look like a complete nebbish.

My only apprehension is regarding the light plastics, which look a tad down-market and will be the devil to keep clean. Upholstery looks decent, but again, will be tough to keep clean, especially with a 2-year-old romping about in the car. The black plastics surrounding the stereo/HVAC controls could also be a little less dull.

Seeing the car in the flesh has absolutely settled the long-running "New Swift/Vento or wait for the Rapid" discussion in the family. We are on our way to book a Cappuccino Beige Elegance TDI 1.6, and are only waiting till Wednesday since it is supposed to be a good day for such things.

Wish us well.

Last edited by pillainp : 14th January 2012 at 19:03.
pillainp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 23:16   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Seeing the car in the flesh has absolutely settled the long-running "New Swift/Vento or wait for the Rapid" discussion in the family. We are on our way to book a Cappuccino Beige Elegance TDI 1.6, and are only waiting till Wednesday since it is supposed to be a good day for such things.

Wish us well.
Congratulations, N P Pillai (just assuming that's your name from your handle!).

In my opinion, the Rapid and the Linea are the best looking sedans in the segment which is IMO now full of either somewhat too understated looking cars (Vento), too wannabe (SX4, Verna) or too quirky or disproportionate (Sunny, Dzire). Also, the Rapid has a cracker of an engine with ride and handling to match.
Old 15th January 2012, 00:27   #358
BHPian

@nishant: let me add my 2 cents here.

I would agree with bala & architect regarding the correct tyre spec for the Rapid.
IMO, car manufacturers, while costing a car, try to economize on the tyre sizes also. The lowest tolerable sizes make way into entry level variants.

Now, I've got an Octavia - Rider. I found similar difference of tyre sizes between the Rider and the L&K variants.

195 R15 against the 205 R15 specs.

It was after I upgraded (last year) to the 205s, I realized that I've lost quite many days of driving my car without that much required additional grip & ease of maneuvering..

In your case you would be better off with the 195s compared to 185s.

Edit:
p.s.- I've also got Plati Wheels for my car . And Platis are made in Taiwan.
No issues with the quality so far.
Check out : my wheels

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 15th January 2012 at 00:29.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:54   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Right, I tend to agree with architect. 185 section tyres are just about adequate especially considering the amount of torque on offer. You can safely upsize to 195/60/15 tyres with a deviation from stock size of less than 2%.
==============
Check out : my wheels

Thanks Bala and Monaro.

@Bala : I had shortlisted 2-3 designs in Plati. Spoke to almost all dealers in Bangalore. As per them everything mentioned in the website will not be available always. Only some designs are available and that too nobody seems to know which design will be come next. So had a tough finding a design which I like. Will keep you guys posted.

@Monaro : Thanks for the info. I have decided to go for 195/60/R15, Yokohama DB V550. They are available at 4900 per piece in Bangalore.
Also, found an alloy wheel design which I liked in Evo brand. Also found some 2-3 beautiful designs in a brand called Stallion but not sure about the brand. So thinking of going with EVO as this is manufactured in Bangalore and finding / replacing will be easy.

I didn't like the designs which were available currently in Plati, Awa, Lenso, Neo and League. So have to choose between Evo and Stallion.

Any idea how good is Stallion ? Also, any idea about Evo ?

Thanks again for all the valuable suggestions.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:12   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't like the designs which were available currently in Plati, Awa, Lenso, Neo and League. So have to choose between Evo and Stallion.

Any idea how good is Stallion ? Also, any idea about Evo ?
When I purchased my set in Pune from N Mehta Wheels (Swargate) the proprietor told me that these are just names & most of the alloy wheels are imported from Taiwan. I liked the design of Stallion & I purchased a set of 5 Stallion wheels from him. Have done 43K kms on them & they still look good. Had two instances of tyre sidewall damage (due to my fault), the alloy took the beating but did not suffer any major damages.

So my take would be, if you are getting Stallion at a good price, then go for it.

Most Viewed