Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 19:41   #496
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
@raamki, How is that possible? Excise duty increase will be applicable only from April. So how can they increase the price for vehicles invoiced in March?
Am not so sure about April, most of the changes from the budget came into effect a day after it was announced, Saturday! (17th March 2012)

With respect to rise in the excise duty on the cars are concerned, any new car leaving the factory gate post announcement of the budget is being billed with the new price!

According to most news articles, manufacturers like M&M/TATA et all have already increased prices across most of their models to pass this hike to the customer!
Old 20th March 2012, 23:18   #497
BHPian

It seems you don't have to pay excise duty for pre-budget cars according to the economic times report. But usually budget proposals are implemented at the beginning of the next financial year. Why car companies are increasing price immediately after the budget is beyond my reckoning.

Budget 2012: Don't pay more for old stock cars; duty hike applicable only on dispatches from March 16 - The Economic Times
Old 21st March 2012, 18:08   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
It seems you don't have to pay excise duty for pre-budget cars according to the economic times report. But usually budget proposals are implemented at the beginning of the next financial year. Why car companies are increasing price immediately after the budget is beyond my reckoning.

Budget 2012: Don't pay more for old stock cars; duty hike applicable only on dispatches from March 16 - The Economic Times
Excise duty comes into effect on the date of budget, not from the next financial year.
Cars manufactured and left the factory gate before the date of budget will have old pricing (old excise duty rates), cars leaving the factory on and after the date of budget will have the new rates.

Pre budget in respect of excise duty means prior to the date of budget.
Old 25th March 2012, 18:44   #499
BHPian

I went through innumerable reviews of the Rapid Diesel on the internet and everywhere it says one thing - The suspension of the diesel is soft and its not as good as the Vento for high speed runs. The high speed stability in the Vento is much better because of the Firm suspension.

But, The Tbhp review states otherwise.

'When it comes to ride quality, the petrol seems more settled than the diesel. A stiffer suspension is to be thanked for this, and the confidence it endows the driver with when pushing the car through corners is most welcome. On the flip side, the suspension tends to thud in and out of potholes' - Bsmotoring.

What's with this?

Last edited by DeKay : 25th March 2012 at 18:51.
Old 25th March 2012, 22:43   #500
Team-BHP Support

We go with our observation.

In fact, I make it a point not to read the reviews from other magazines and forums before writing my review. Can't have that influence our observation.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 10:22   #501
BHPian

Did a test drive of Rapid diesel , top model as a friend is planning to pick up the same. I found the car to be pretty stable. Went over lot of potholes and uneven roads on route to central mall bellandur junction. Found the car to be good.Max i hit around 150 during test drive on the flyover's in the middle of the afternoon there was hardly any traffic. Did breaking test also, saw the ABS kick in high speeds and breaking was good. Overall i found the car to be satisfactory and good.
Old 27th March 2012, 23:49   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I went through innumerable reviews of the Rapid Diesel on the internet and everywhere it says one thing - The suspension of the diesel is soft and its not as good as the Vento for high speed runs. The high speed stability in the Vento is much better because of the Firm suspension.

But, The Tbhp review states otherwise.

'When it comes to ride quality, the petrol seems more settled than the diesel. A stiffer suspension is to be thanked for this, and the confidence it endows the driver with when pushing the car through corners is most welcome. On the flip side, the suspension tends to thud in and out of potholes' - Bsmotoring.

What's with this?
From my experience of owning the Rapid and test driving Vento, the suspension on Rapid is not soft. Rapid also handles a bit better than Vento at high speeds.

However, it is true that the suspension tends to thud in and out of potholes and sometimes even speed breakers.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:05   #503
Senior - BHPian

Can mods / vento / Rapid users please advise if you find your aircon units sufficient? I have been using the rapid tdi for 3 weeks now and I find the Aircon's cooling to be not so great! Earlier in my dzire even at temperatures of 35-37, comfortable cooling was possible in the 2nd position in just 5 minutes! The rapid's blower is powerful, but it is just that cooling is not sufficient. Also as soon as you switch on the aircon there is small "hiss" which dies out in about 5 seconds. Anyone notice this?
I ask this question as if it is just my car then I need to go to the skoda service station, which I'm not looking forward to at all!
Old 30th March 2012, 16:18   #504
BHPian

I felt the same way when I test drove in both Vento & Rapid. However, I thought since it was a short 10-15 mins drive. Do you feel the same way on longish drives as well ? As a Indica owner, I know my car cools only after a driving for a while. Initially, it cannot match a swift/santro. Is it so with the Rapid/Vento ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
aircon units sufficient?
Old 30th March 2012, 16:24   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Can mods / vento / Rapid users please advise if you find your aircon units sufficient?
The very first page of this thread holds some clue. The following comment can be seen there:

"The AC vents seem to have a very narrow throw of air. If you turn the vent to the left, only the left of the vent has airflow (in most other cars, the entire vent throws out air but towards the left). Similarly, if you point the vent straight, only the centre has a stream of air (with the left and right louvres devoid of air). As a result, air flow is in a narrow stream & Vid6639 found it quite difficult to adjust the vents. This is not an issue with the Rapid only; Vid6639 noticed it in the Vento as well. He thought the Vento's vents were not working initially."

Though it does not talk about the pace of cabin cooling.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:30   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks
Can mods / vento / Rapid users please advise if you find your aircon units sufficient? I have been using the rapid tdi for 3 weeks now and I find the Aircon's cooling to be not so great! Earlier in my dzire even at temperatures of 35-37, comfortable cooling was possible in the 2nd position in just 5 minutes! The rapid's blower is powerful, but it is just that cooling is not sufficient. Also as soon as you switch on the aircon there is small "hiss" which dies out in about 5 seconds. Anyone notice this?
I ask this question as if it is just my car then I need to go to the skoda service station, which I'm not looking forward to at all!
All my friends who have bought the rapid are cribbing about it. There seems to be more worries than happiness. Wonder if a little driving pleasure is worth all the trouble.
Old 30th March 2012, 17:38   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Can mods / vento / Rapid users please advise if you find your aircon units sufficient? I have been using the rapid tdi for 3 weeks now and I find the Aircon's cooling to be not so great! Earlier in my dzire even at temperatures of 35-37, comfortable cooling was possible in the 2nd position in just 5 minutes! The rapid's blower is powerful, but it is just that cooling is not sufficient.
If I were to compare my old car's cooling (zen) with respect to my Vento, there is a big difference (my old car cabin cooled down much faster).

The Vento's (and Rapid's) AC vents have a narrow throw and quite inflexible in directing air to where you want; add to that a big cabin and a big windshield. Also, design-wise, the position of the vents is quite high as compared to the seating position. One cannot direct the air on the torso, only on the face!

It might help if you switch on air re-circulation, direct the air flow directly on yourself and switch off the vents that are not being used. It suffices me most of the times, except in extreme heat!
Old 30th March 2012, 17:38   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Can mods / vento / Rapid users please advise if you find your aircon units sufficient? I have been using the rapid tdi for 3 weeks now and I find the Aircon's cooling to be not so great! The rapid's blower is powerful, but it is just that cooling is not sufficient. Also as soon as you switch on the aircon there is small "hiss" which dies out in about 5 seconds. Anyone notice this?
Nope, even I find the Rapid's cooling not sufficient, infact if I park it in the sun it takes a even longer time for just cool air to start blowing in, I would suggest get good tints even for the front wind-screen.

I think hiss sound is there for even my car.
Old 31st March 2012, 19:59   #509
BHPian

Just took delivery of our car earlier in the evening! First impressions about the auto ac on my elegance, am not complaining yet! I set the temp at 18 with the speed about half way, the cabin cooled pretty soon! I had to push the temp a few notches up since it got really chilly 20 mins into our drive! More feedback on the aircon as I use it more!

Also, I'd like to know if vibrations from the clutch pedal is normal on new cars? Am guessing not! I felt vibrations from the clutch pedal when it was fully depressed on any gear, i.e., I put my foot on the clutch pedal and I feel it vibrating while the car is in motion! Is this a serious problem? I am going back to the service centre on Monday but am planning a long drive tomorrow, what do you guys suggest?

Btw, here's a picture of my red beauty just before taking delivery!

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-image184598861.jpg
raamki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 22:31   #510
Senior - BHPian

Agree with your observation, put it on the re-circulation mode for better results. The good thing, the climatronic unit still acts like a semi-automatic unit adjusting the blower settings as per the desired temperature. A/C is not a strong point of the vento/rapid for sure.

Quote:
Can mods / vento / Rapid users please advise if you find your aircon units sufficient? I have been using the rapid tdi for 3 weeks now and I find the Aircon's cooling to be not so great!
Congratulations on your new car. The vibrations on the clutch pedal are perfectly normal and is present on my vento too. Clutch will also be on the harder side, but you will get used to it with time. Nothing much to worry about, relax and enjoy your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Also, I'd like to know if vibrations from the clutch pedal is normal on new cars? Am guessing not! I felt vibrations from the clutch pedal when it was fully depressed on any gear, i.e., I put my foot on the clutch pedal and I feel it vibrating while the car is in motion! Is this a serious problem? I am going back to the service centre on Monday but am planning a long drive tomorrow, what do you guys suggest?

Last edited by bala80 : 31st March 2012 at 22:34.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks