Team-BHP - Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/111033-skoda-rapid-test-drive-review-4.html)

Excellent review, Samurai & Vid. Superb work detailing everything and some nice crisp pics to boot, as well! Right up there with GTO's reviewing standards, which is by itself a BIG compliment. Rated thread the very-deserving 5 stars.

I must say I am a bit surprised to know that the Rapid is a better handler than the Vento, considering both cars are almost (near-identical) copies of each other. Skoda is to be commended for bringing out a car which is almost identical to VW's standards, if not better, when it comes to performance, handling and comfort, yet a more VFM option than the Vento. They have done their homework and have improved on things from the inside to the outside (looks, engine, ergonomics) and the areas where Rapid trumps the Vento show Skoda's commitment to providing a quality yet cheaper option to the customer. Now, it's just a matter of improving the A.S.S.

I won't be surprised if the Rapid overtakes the Vento in monthly sales; after all the customer now has a better suited set of options at a lesser price, but no drop in quality. In short, quality just became a lot more affordable as well. The engine, looks, fit and finish, everything is truly top notch.

I am on the hunt for a new sedan, and I am glad to admit that my narrowed-down final 2 choices now have a 3rd contender as well, after going through this review. It's just a matter of deciding between 2 things now - steering mounted controls and the badge of the car.

This is one "Rapid" option to consider, and for a semi-rural based car lover like me, it looks like a super VFM proposition.

Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work. Adding pics from the official brochure to help other prospecting buyers (like me) as well.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-untitled.gif

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-untitled2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simhi (Post 2579919)
Excellent Review. It is nice to see manufacturers providing automatic on multiple variants. One more good thing to note is that ABS is provided across all variants.

ABS is present in the Ambience and Elegance variants only, not in the base Active variant.

But, if you were referring to the automatic variants, then yes, ABS is present on both variants.

Excellent and crisp review Samurai & Vid. If skoda removes the "service fears" in the customers mind, it can easily join the crowded diesel sedan segment otherwise dealer yard would become the permanent place for this wonderful sedan.

Great review. I have been contemplating a lot these days to replace my i10, mainly due to the ride quality and poor FE. Just in time and am very glad to know about the comfort ride quality. Those who drive in Bangalore will know how important it is.

You guys had a chance to sit in the middle at the back?? How comfortable it is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2579944)
Have you tried it pulling it down with your finger like we did?

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-dsc09136.jpg

Seems like even the Vento doesn't have the stitching in place. But I had to pull the fabric really hard to get this shot. As Prabhu said, it's very firm. By the look of the image of the Rapid, the fabric doesn't seem so tight, does it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhuferrari (Post 2579891)
P.S. On a different note would like you to drive my Vento sometime :D and compare? Not sure if the recent Vento's clatter has reduced as bala80 mentioned? I also find the noise levels very minimal inside the Vento (Sep 2011 make).

+1 to this.

Would love if any of the mods can check out an old Vento and the refreshed one. In terms of specifications, the new Vento has a different suspension setting (info obtained from my car's detailed VIN report generated by @wildon), and I do feel the NVH levels are better.

Or maybe one of these days, I could follow this up with any of the other (older) vento owners and do a compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2579944)
Have you tried it pulling it down with your finger like we did?

I tried it after reaching home. I literally had to pull it very hard and found that there is no stitching.

Edit: Just realized Ninja has posted a picture of the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 2580138)
Attachment 843086

Seems like even the Vento doesn't have the stitching in place. But I had to pull the fabric really hard to get this shot. As Prabhu said, it's very firm. By the look of the image of the Rapid, the fabric doesn't seem so tight, does it?

+1 to this.

Would love if any of the mods can check out an old Vento and the refreshed one. In terms of specifications, the new Vento has a different suspension setting (info obtained from my car's detailed VIN report generated by @wildon), and I do feel the NVH levels are better.

Or maybe one of these days, I could follow this up with any of the other (older) vento owners and do a compare.

The cloth in the Vento is of better quality. I've mentioned that in the review.

I did have to pull it down quite hard to see that bit though.

The Vento I drove before the Rapid drive had done 3000kms and was the older one, not the refreshed one.

Excellent review! Thanks Samurai & Vid!

I liked the interior color scheme in the Rapid (in comparison with the Vento), especially the darker door lines. I don’t understand the safety part though. Why only driver-side airbag in the mid-variant!

Is this the first proper sedan from Skoda? AFAIK, their sedans are generally have the notchback styling.

Is Rapid, being 30 kgs lighter, now the fastest diesel sedan south of 10 lacs? :D

Excellent review! Deserves a 5 star rating.

I just checked the Rapid this evening. The interior color combination looked really nice and I'd say they have a good car in their hands.

The variant I looked at (petrol Elegance, manual) didn't have the under-hood damping, as mentioned in the review. Not sure if this is a dealer fitment (or) variant based.

Great & fast review but this has made the choice tougher :confused:

Was planning on a diesel sedan for my parents in Bhubneswar. Had somehow zeroed in on the VW Vento. Now need to have a serious re-look. Two questions:

1. Is Skoda's *** really such pathetic. I am having the chills by just reading about it. Any idea on the same in Bhubaneswar ?
2. How does the 'Rapid' stand in respect to the competition (namely Hyundai Verna & the Toyota Etios). My considerations (in order) are Fuel Efficiency, Safety & Features. Any other car i need to consider (price range <9L, flexible)

In need of some serious help !!!

Superb review Vid & Samurai, i loved the attention to detail, especially having to turn off the ignition when you stall the engine

What i liked most about the launch, is that Skoda is willing to offer ABS & driver airbag even on the mid-variant and not forcing the customers who value safety to compulsorily buy the top-end variant.

Hopefully with the Rapid Skoda will get the volumes it needs. Compared to the Vento, its VFM but whether the customer wants snob-appeal or VFM will decide the success of the Rapid.

Absolutely brilliant review Samurai and Vid! Only a perfectionist could list so much detail. I mean, who pulls the cloth around the hole for the headrest to see if it is stiched! Amazing!

I had initially dismissed this thread with the thought that it would just point to the Vento review with very few additional details. The car as well as the review surprised me. Three variants tested in equal amount of detail in the same review and the Automatic tested in 3 modes! It can't get any more comprehensive than this!

Finally, it practically sounds like Skoda pulled off a Vento 2.0. My view is that this is going to eat into Vento's sales big time.

Thanks for a great review Samurai & Vid6639. :thumbs up

When I test drove the Vento TDi, I didn't like it that much, save for the Torque monster engine. The NVH was horrible and the HL Diesel with ABS/ Airbags was just too expensive. The Skoda Rapid solves both these problems. The Ambition D at 8.3L is a great buy.

I thought the Rapid was just another Vento with a Skoda badge. But looks like it does many a things better compared to its older cousin. Can the Rapid pull one on the Vento like the Polo on Fabia? Time for a TD. :)

Outstanding review !!! The sheer eye for details is amazing. Gave the thread a deserved rating of 5 stars. However, I did not see any comment on: (a) the kind of rear view the driver will have and (b) the all round visibility from the Driver's seat.

I would think that Skoda has a winner on its hands and the 'C' segment battle will become very interesting. Not only that, it has hit a sweet spot - with the variants and options and the price spectrum. The car, in my opinion, has clean lines with graceful looks. A lot will depend upon the after sales service, which currently, from what I read in T-BHP does Skoda no good.