Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 12:07   #691
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Guys,

I m planning to book Skoda Rapid Elegance model from Vinayak Skoda in ORR Bangalore. I m planning to put a double din music systems and want to upgrade my tires to Michelin too.

I m scared to fit the music systems outside as it might void the warranty on electrical stuff of the car. Can some one who has fitted a music system at Vinayak Skoda comment on the pricing part. I feel they are charging me over the roof. Also please share for how much they have bought back the new tires. Is it a good idea to go for the tire upgrade and alloys outside the showroom ?

Your replies will be very helpful.

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2012, 00:04   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Guys,

I m planning to book Skoda Rapid Elegance model from Vinayak Skoda in ORR Bangalore. I m planning to put a double din music systems and want to upgrade my tires to Michelin too.

I m scared to fit the music systems outside as it might void the warranty on electrical stuff of the car. Can some one who has fitted a music system at Vinayak Skoda comment on the pricing part. I feel they are charging me over the roof. Also please share for how much they have bought back the new tires. Is it a good idea to go for the tire upgrade and alloys outside the showroom ?

Your replies will be very helpful.

Thanks.
Hi, I had bought a Rapid from Vinayak ORR and had a decent experience. I bought the music system from outside and got it fitted at the showroom before delivery. I bought the frame from Skoda { it was an "Ambition" variant, hence the 2 din frame was not available as stock}. I also got reverse parking sensors fitted during the same time. The ORR showroom does not have any technician to do this, hence he had to come from their sadashiva nagar showroom. I remember paying about Rs.1000 as fitting charges for all of this. The prices of audio systems are at least higher by 10-15% at all dealers compared to other shops, so you cna buy the system from outside and get it fitted at a cost.I know the charges sound high and it is normally free if you install it at the same place you buy, but the skoda warranty becomes void if you let third party vendors handle electronics.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 00:52   #693
BHPian

Skoda is offering a lower interest rate of 5.99% courtesy Skoda finance. Please check with your dealers to avail the lower rate of interest.
Old 14th September 2012, 14:46   #694
BHPian

Finally, I m taking the delivery of my Skoda Rapid Ambition Diesel on Sunday. It comes with 14" apollo acelere tires. I would like to know from you guys on the tire upgrade.

I just want to know if I should stick to apollo acelere tires for say around 30K kms or shall I go for upgrade right away ?

Rapid top end comes with 15" alloys, so is it fair to assume I can go for a 15" alloys if I am upgrading ?

The tire size for rapid is 175/70 R14. Can I upgrade to Michelin 195/60 R15 XM2 without compromising on rear comfort and drivability ?

Will this upgrade in any way void my suspension warranty ?

Thanks a ton for answering my questions !!!
Old 14th September 2012, 16:10   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I m taking the delivery of my Skoda Rapid Ambition Diesel on Sunday
Congrats samboy, its a wonderful car and you would thoroughly enjoy the abundant torque that this 1.6 TDi produces, congrats.

Quote:
I just want to know if I should stick to apollo acelere tires for say around 30K kms or shall I go for upgrade right away ?
Thats entirely upto you, Apollo would last till 25-30k kms but i would suggest going in for some other better brand right away like Bridgestone or Michelin (if you can bear the little issue of soft sidewalls) as these tyres are much better than Apollos and most of the owners have shifted to other brands after getting the car.

175 is too small for a car like Rapid so atleast go in for 195/60 R15 to improve the handling even further.

Quote:
Rapid top end comes with 15" alloys, so is it fair to assume I can go for a 15" alloys if I am upgrading ?
The tire size for rapid is 175/70 R14. Can I upgrade to Michelin 195/60 R15 XM2 without compromising on rear comfort and drivability ?
Yes you can go in for 15" alloys without any modifications, Michelin XM2 is a great choice, minimal noise and wonderful ride quality. There would be any major difference in ride quality, infact you will love the car more once it runs on better rubber.

Quote:
Yes it would, any size above the stock 185/65 should void your suspension warranty. In any case you are going in for aftermarket alloys so the service centre could create a mess if any claim come up for suspension, i also changed to 195/60 on my Vento and my friend on his Rapid, thats what most of us do, its a necessary upgrade.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 16:52   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Thats entirely upto you, Apollo would last till 25-30k kms but i would suggest going in for some other better brand right away like Bridgestone or Michelin (if you can bear the little issue of soft sidewalls) as these tyres are much better than Apollos and most of the owners have shifted to other brands after getting the car.

175 is too small for a car like Rapid so atleast go in for 195/60 R15 to improve the handling even further.

Yes you can go in for 15" alloys without any modifications, Michelin XM2 is a great choice, minimal noise and wonderful ride quality. There would be any major difference in ride quality, infact you will love the car more once it runs on better rubber.

Yes it would, any size above the stock 185/65 should void your suspension warranty. In any case you are going in for aftermarket alloys so the service centre could create a mess if any claim come up for suspension, i also changed to 195/60 on my Vento and my friend on his Rapid, thats what most of us do, its a necessary upgrade.
The stock sizes are 175/70 and 185/60. Going for 195/60 is going to increase the diameter, hence
. The wheels may fowl at turns especially when suspension is compressed
. The warranty may refused

The diameter of 185/70 R15 is 0.4% larger than 175/70 R14
The diameter of 195/50 R16 is 0.13% larger than 175/70 R14, hence the optimum up size replacement. This is a low profile tyre so will give a harsher ride.
while the 195/60 R15 is 2.4% larger.

Last edited by Aroy : 14th September 2012 at 16:59.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 17:09   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The stock sizes are 175/70 and 185/60. Going for 195/60 is going to increase the diameter, hence

The diameter of 185/70 R15 is 0.4% larger than 175/70 R14
The diameter of 195/50 R16 is 0.13% larger than 175/70 R14, hence the optimum up size replacement. This is a low profile tyre so will give a harsher ride.
while the 195/60 R15 is 2.4% larger.
I think 2.4% error is fine, anything above 3% error should be avoided
I got Yokohama A-Drives 195/60 R15 in my Vento on July.

Benefits
- Excellent braking
- much lesser tyre noise
- better handling
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 17:30   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A majority of the owners have gone in for an upsize and the pros far outweigh the cons of going up to 195/60 from 175/70 or 185/60. We have done it for both our Rapid and Vento and the tyres as such dont make any issues. As for warranty, he is anyways going in for aftermarket alloys so wonder if Skoda would spare the suspension warranty.

To play safe, yes 185/60 is the apt choice but i recommend 195/60 with my experience with both the cars.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 18:49   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I m taking the delivery of my Skoda Rapid Ambition Diesel on Sunday. It comes with 14" apollo acelere tires. I would like to know from you guys on the tire upgrade.

Thanks a ton for answering my questions !!!

Elegance comes with 185x60 R15. So, the best upsize available for those who have the top variant is: 205x55 R15. Difference in circumference would be 10.99 which is just 0.58%. This is no doubt the best upsize with the least correction in this class. An upgrade beyond 2% correction is not at all preferred. The lesser the correction the better will be your drive considering stability, cornering, comfort, damage caused to suspension and tires itself etc.

For lower variants I don't think there is a good upsize option keeping the same wheel diameter. May be you can swap out the steels with 15" alloys and go to one of the above mentioned dimensions. i.e. 185x60 or 205x55.

You can go to http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm and play around with different dimensions yourself. At any time remember to keep the correction as less as possible . Post some pics once you swap out the wheels.
rajni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 22:58   #700
BHPian

Guys ... Thanks for all your replies, such a good feeling to have so many friends like you guys. Now, one thing is clear that I have to go for an upgrade. But looking at the replies I m confused now to put 195/60 R15 or 205x55 R15. I do not have much knowledge on this.

So can you please list the pros and cons of both the sizes ?
Old 14th September 2012, 23:58   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Guys ... Thanks for all your replies, such a good feeling to have so many friends like you guys. Now, one thing is clear that I have to go for an upgrade. But looking at the replies I m confused now to put 195/60 R15 or 205x55 R15. I do not have much knowledge on this.

Not sure if you wanted to say 195 or 185. Rapid Elegance comes with 185x60 R15 so if that is what you choose it is perfectly in comply with company specifications. If it is 195 the difference in circumference will be on the high side. It means there is a high odo correction and change in GC is high (in this case it increases). If the GC increases too much the high speed stability may be affected, no need to explain about the con's of the GC reduction. 205x55 R15, as I mentioned in my previous post, offers the lowest difference in circumference. Hence, the correction of odo and GC is the lowest. There is a whole thread in Team BHP that talks about Tire upsize. May be you can go through it.

Last edited by rajni : 15th September 2012 at 00:02. Reason: missed explanation for 205
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 11:27   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sam if you plan to go with 15" rims, then go with 205 55 R15. They would be the best bet if you are upsizing from stock size.

The two best tires that come to my mind for 205 55 R15 section are
1. Michelin Pilot Preceda
2. Yokohama S Drives

If by chance you decide to keep it 185 60 R15 spec, JK tyre is the best bet. Having it on my Vento TDi and they take any abuse what so ever without a problem. JK have a life of 4 years, after which you need to change them. If I did need to change after 4 yrs it would either be JK or Michelin Pilot Preceda 205 55 R15.

195 60 R15 has a higher error of 2.4% just a shade under 3%. For futher queries you can continue on the thread given below.

Link
Link
Old 15th September 2012, 13:35   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

205/55 R15 is the best upsize since the variance is the least vis-a-vis the stock i.e. 185/60 R15 but the issue is that you would not get much choice in that size as R15 limits the variants available under 205/55( If I am not mistaken you would not get Mich, Yoko, BS .. the tyre that a BHP-ian has used in that size is Continentals)

I have been using 195/60 R15 in my vento for more than 16,000 - 17,000 km , its been fine . Given that the Vento wheel well has so much gap with the tyre surface , IMO the 195/60 fills it up better . This size also has lots of tyres available
Old 19th September 2012, 08:52   #704
BHPian

Discounts have started appearing on the Rapid (in Hyderabad atleast). 20 K approx (which includes the +2 yr extended warranty).

Is it the "Vento effect" or "Clearing of Stocks for 'refresh' editions" ?. Historically, we have seen the 'refresh's appearing in Oct-Nov-Dec time frame.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:07   #705
BHPian

Skoda has updated the Rapid lineup and added the Active Plus and Ambition Plus variants.

Quote:
The Active Plus variant of the Skoda Rapid offers a foldable key with remote locking/unlocking and electrically adjustable rear view mirrors. The Amibition Plus variant now boasts of 2-din audio system, 4-speakers, one-touch power windows, chrome inserts on AC vents, AUX and SD card ports and electrically adjustable rear view mirrors.
Link:http://skoda-auto.co.in/ind/model/ra.../features.aspx and http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...o-rapid-range/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks