Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 22:25   #796
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I was checking and comparing the feature list of the Rapid last night, and I found the car rather under-specced (using online comparo-tools ).
Depends on what you're looking for in a budget sedan. I recently purchased the Rapid Elegance plus, petrol, at 9.8L, after a 50K discount. Comes with airbags for driver + passenger, rear-defogger, very nice interiors, driver seat height adjust etc. Admittedly it lacks rear parking sensors/camera but then makes it up with ride quality, handling and generally well rounded performance.
Old 20th December 2012, 16:42   #797
BHPian

@KnightRider77

Indeed, many I need to reset my valuo-meter. Car prices have steadily risen and risen over the last 3-4 years. Now even the Punto 90BHP sport is priced 8.5L on the road. MH is one of the highest taxed states, Delhi prices must be a lac cheaper, maybe more.

Anyway - I was looking out for my next car, and since we have a hatchback, I was thinking a sedan might be better. I'm looking for a good handling, powerful , safe and spacious car - for me ABS is a must, along with creature comforts like AC, power windows, USB/Bluetooth audio, foldable seating like the 60:40 split. Things like ABS , steering mounted audio controls and USB/Bluetooth functionality, are only given on the top end variants , or in some cases, ABS may make in middle variant but still USB and BT are kept for top end only.

Frankly, some features like automatic headlights, rainsensing wipers, leather seats, sunroof - sometimes tacked on top end variants, unnecessarily add price. Often even 60:40 split seats are absent on base/lower variants , sometimes you can use practicality, stuff like USB + steering mounted audio shouldn't be very expensive done as standard either. Unfortunately, for things like ABS and this, we are forced to go to higher end variants, which cost more for features we may not be used.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:56   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Anyway - I was looking out for my next car, and since we have a hatchback, I was thinking a sedan might be better. I'm looking for a good handling, powerful , safe and spacious car - for me ABS is a must, along with creature comforts like AC, power windows, USB/Bluetooth audio, foldable seating like the 60:40 split.
I know what you mean since I was in exactly your position just a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Often even 60:40 split seats are absent on base/lower variants , sometimes you can use practicality, stuff like USB + steering mounted audio shouldn't be very expensive done as standard either. Unfortunately, for things like ABS and this, we are forced to go to higher end variants, which cost more for features we may not be used.
You won't find many sedans with split or folding seats for the simple reason that the boot is separate and often quite sizable so you don't really need to create extra space.

Interestingly, the Rapid comes with ABS as well as Airbags for driver starting from the Ambition model. In fact, I think the Ambition Plus model provides an excellent balance in terms of features and necessities.
Old 20th December 2012, 18:16   #799
BHPian

Some sedans do have split rear seats - the Linea , City - I may need to confirm, though it is more common in hatchbacks. Either way - it increases the flexibility when you have to accommodate both a rear passenger and large oversize luggage that won't fit within the boot.

About the Rapid's feature set - I do find it a little lacking, but I am comparing with the Linea and City - the City is petrol only, and the Linea quite VFM for a sedan , compared to the Vento , I suppose the Skoda would look VFM!

I'm not in a hurry yet - despite the threats of imminent price hikes and government raising diesel car taxes. I feel it will be worth waiting for the Chevy Sail sedan, and if I can manage to wait till 2014 , there could be the all new City and Linea, probably new engines in the Vento as well , as also updated Punto. But I will try and remain current.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:33   #800
BHPian

Got my Rapid Ambition+ TDI delivered last saturday and I am still getting used to the feel of the sedan and powerful engine (coming from a Getz 1.1).
The car feels fantastic overall and the only odd thing I have noticed is a minor vibration of the gear knob when accelerating in 3rd gear. Not sure if its just the turbo making itself felt.

Last edited by nma83 : 20th December 2012 at 22:34. Reason: Typo
Old 20th December 2012, 23:11   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Got my Rapid Ambition+ TDI delivered last saturday and I am still getting used to the feel of the sedan and powerful engine (coming from a Getz 1.1).
The car feels fantastic overall and the only odd thing I have noticed is a minor vibration of the gear knob when accelerating in 3rd gear. Not sure if its just the turbo making itself felt.
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Yes, even I observed it after shifting from petrol and now dont feel it. May be got used to it
Old 21st December 2012, 13:54   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Yes, even I observed it after shifting from petrol and now dont feel it. May be got used to it
Thanks 500ContyCruiser . So the vibration does not seem to be a problem then.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:03   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Could you be possibly shifting early ? I have not felt this vibration., I usually shift at around the 1800-2000 RPM mark.

And b.t.w did I say that I just can't get enough of the car. Its like a chained beast rearing to go.

-Santosh
Old 21st December 2012, 15:42   #804
BHPian

has anyone ever felt that the Lumbar support of the front seats are not comfortable while driving ? It is a real deal breaker when one drives for long . Thinking of fitting stanley seats with some padding .
Old 21st December 2012, 23:48   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Could you be possibly shifting early ? I have not felt this vibration., I usually shift at around the 1800-2000 RPM mark.

And b.t.w did I say that I just can't get enough of the car. Its like a chained beast rearing to go.

-Santosh
That's also possible. I generally feel this only when shifting around 1500 RPM. Revving higher and shifting feels OK.
Old 22nd December 2012, 07:19   #806
anb
BHPian

Quote:

That's also possible. I generally feel this only when shifting around 1500 RPM. Revving higher and shifting feels OK.
This is not a NA petrol engine to shift gears at 1500 rpm. You are lugging the engine when shifting aroud 1500 RPM . If you continue to drive in this manner, the engine and clutch life may get reduced. So change the gears atleast around 1800–2000 RPM mark.

Last edited by anb : 22nd December 2012 at 07:20.
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:36   #807
Senior - BHPian

My relatives bough the Rapid Diesel last week... INR 10.5 Lacs on road (Delhi). Will try to ding in for more details & a joy ride , if possible.
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:06   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
This is not a NA petrol engine to shift gears at 1500 rpm. You are lugging the engine when shifting aroud 1500 RPM . If you continue to drive in this manner, the engine and clutch life may get reduced. So change the gears atleast around 1800–2000 RPM mark.
Agree, still getting used to the diesel characteristics after years of driving only petrols! The gear change recommendation in the MID too recommends the same shifting point.
Old 25th December 2012, 00:31   #809
BHPian

hi guys

i need help...is there a way to take off scratches from the alloy wheels? i dont want to recount how they came into existence. its only the front alloys. and one of them has a slightly deep scratch on which 3M Finesse It compound was applied but that didnt help. the scratch could be felt by hand! hoping against all odds for a solution to this..plz help :(
Old 26th December 2012, 14:16   #810

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Actually if you see those who value the importance of seat belts would anyway wear them, alarm or not, and those who dont, well, no alarms would be good enough for them.

Think of it like this, how many people wear seat belts at the rear? Would it be better if there was an alarm for that too?

I think a true safety feature would be if the car wont budge if all people who are sitting inside arent belted. Else your beeps and all are just superficial only and can easily be ignored!
Very true. Everytime I have a passenger(s) joining me for a drive, I do recommend to all of them on fastening their seatbelts. However, very few of them comply with the request. Safety is best when practised and not imposed.
Cluedin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks