Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 23:08   #1141
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I have almost finalized on buying Skoda Rapid Elegance. However, I got to know that one can buy a used Laura or a Yeti, 2011-12 model that has clocked anywhere between 8k to 12k kms for anywhere between 12-14 lakhs. Now, thats an interesting piece of information, which has left me completely confused. I would love to buy a New Laura or a Yeti, but am somehow not convinced on shelling an additional 10 lakhs at the moment. However, the prospect of buying a Laura or a Yeti in a very good condition for 12-14 lakhs is a something to think about. I have read the pros and cons of buying a used car, and I even read coolboy007's posts on a similar dilemma he faced when he too had an option to buy used Laura. I have never bought a used car in my life. I have owned a Getz, from that I bought a Ritz, only because it was a diesel, and I was looking at buying an Ertiga because of inexpensive maintenance costs that are associated with Maruti Vehicles. With this mentality, I am sure it wouldn't make sense for me buy a used expensive car for a lesser price, which will obviously come with high Maintenance costs.

Still, the prospect of buying a Laura or a Yeti at 12-14 is mouth watering. Having weighed the pros and cons I think a Rapid would make better sense for me than the Yeti or the Laura. I am asking you guys to vindicate my decision, because no matter what I am sure that I will feel bad for not even considering the used Laura or the Yeti.

I have extensively test driven the Rapid, and the Tafe Access sales Guy has promised me a fantastic deal on the Elegance. He has promised me in excess of 40k in discounts, plus a DAPIC ICE touch screen, Bluetooth, GPS at the discounted price. I do understand that Rapids are not selling very well, but one thing is certain - it is a great value for money car at that price. Ok! I started this post being confused, and I still am confused, but since I am seeking a vindication of my decision to buy the Rapid, I just gave a background on what I am being offered.

Despite all this, should I still buy a Laura or the Yeti? Help!
Old 14th August 2013, 01:19   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivbel View Post
Buying a used car is a big gamble, if you get a good car its very rewarding but if not then it can be equally brutal.

I was in a similar dilemma but went ahead with a new Vento as the peace of mind with a new car + 4 year warranty is unparalled. On the other hand, Laura is one gem of a car and one drive is all it would take to shift your decision in the favour of a used Laura. The real germans start from Laura/Jetta only.

Though going for a used Laura could be a bit of an issue if you havent dealt with used cars, why dont you try getting a new 2012 model Laura? I heard they are offering discount upto 2.5-3 lacs, you will get it at a mouth watering price + 4 years Skoda shield to keep you safe.

If you have the money and can find a new 2012 Laura then go for it, its a class apart from C segment sedans, wont recommend a used Laura. I would have thoroughly checked the car and opted for a 2012 Laura with these huge discounts if i was in your place. You get a new car, first owner + 4 years peace of mind,keep in mind that current Laura is an outgoing model and resale would be poor.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:15   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
I have extensively test driven the Rapid, and the Tafe Access sales Guy has promised me a fantastic deal on the Elegance. He has promised me in excess of 40k in discounts, plus a DAPIC ICE touch screen, Bluetooth, GPS at the discounted price. I do understand that Rapids are not selling very well, but one thing is certain - it is a great value for money car at that price. Ok! I started this post being confused, and I still am confused, but since I am seeking a vindication of my decision to buy the Rapid, I just gave a background on what I am being offered.
I would say go ahead with the rapid. It would be hard to get a low run Laura or yeti for 14 lakhs unless you are lookiing at the base model, which come with a lower tuning (105bhp).You can get a very good discount of upto 80K on the rapid Elegance (OTR price of 12.18L including Extended warranty & Drive assure). I got a rapid elegance last week from Vinayak Skoda.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:59   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
I have almost finalized on buying Skoda Rapid Elegance. However, I got to know that one can buy a used Laura or a Yeti, 2011-12 model that has clocked anywhere between 8k to 12k kms for anywhere between 12-14 lakhs. Now, thats an interesting piece of information, which has left me completely confused. I would love to buy a New Laura or a Yeti, but am somehow not convinced on shelling an additional 10 lakhs at the moment. However, the prospect of buying a Laura or a Yeti in a very good condition for 12-14 lakhs is a something to think about. I have read the pros and cons of buying a used car, and I even read coolboy007's posts on a similar dilemma he faced when he too had an option to buy used Laura. I have never bought a used car in my life. I have owned a Getz, from that I bought a Ritz, only because it was a diesel, and I was looking at buying an Ertiga because of inexpensive maintenance costs that are associated with Maruti Vehicles. With this mentality, I am sure it wouldn't make sense for me buy a used expensive car for a lesser price, which will obviously come with high Maintenance costs.

Still, the prospect of buying a Laura or a Yeti at 12-14 is mouth watering. Having weighed the pros and cons I think a Rapid would make better sense for me than the Yeti or the Laura. I am asking you guys to vindicate my decision, because no matter what I am sure that I will feel bad for not even considering the used Laura or the Yeti.

Hi, bangalore dealers have 2012 unsold inventory of the base laura ambition diesel...After hard bargaining my friend picked it up for 15.6. Go for that if you can stretch. You can get rapid mileage also in that car as its a 105 bhp car.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:16   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If you have the money and can find a new 2012 Laura then go for it, its a class apart from C segment sedans, wont recommend a used Laura. I would have thoroughly checked the car and opted for a 2012 Laura with these huge discounts if i was in your place. You get a new car, first owner + 4 years peace of mind,keep in mind that current Laura is an outgoing model and resale would be poor.
I agree that the resale value of the old car would be poor after the launch of the new Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
You can get a very good discount of upto 80K on the rapid Elegance (OTR price of 12.18L including Extended warranty & Drive assure). I got a rapid elegance last week from Vinayak Skoda.
Tafe Access is offering the extended warranty & drive assure Plus Dapic Touch ICE at 11.60. I was told that the OTR for the RAPID was 12.06. I wonder if it is a good idea to go for the Dapic. I read in one of the threads here that Skoda warranty goes away if we go for an after market ICE. Can't take the chance. It is criminal that Skoda is not offering Bluetooth connectivity, and a touch screen system for elegance. Anyway thanks for your advise mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Hi, bangalore dealers have 2012 unsold inventory of the base laura ambition diesel...After hard bargaining my friend picked it up for 15.6. Go for that if you can stretch. You can get rapid mileage also in that car as its a 105 bhp car.
I checked with Tafe Access, they don't have a 2012 Laura Ambition anymore, the sales guy, however, offered AT version which has an OTR of 20.3 Lakhs for 18.5 Lakhs. Good deal I would say, but I was willing to stretch maximum 3 lakhs and go upto 14 or maybe even 15 for a Laura ambition. I think I will stick to my Rapid Elegance. Thanks for helping out though Chetan.
Old 15th August 2013, 11:24   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
You can get rapid mileage also in that car as its a 105 bhp car.
Laura Diesel is 110 bhp in lower state of tune.
Old 16th August 2013, 15:10   #1147
BHPian

After putting off my plan to by a skoda rapid few months back thanks to a fellow members false report on rapid getting steering control ICE, I am yet again in search mode.

Presently the price quoted is :

RAPID TDI ELEGANCE ONROAD RS 1149219/-
AFTER DISCOUNT PRISE RS 1103439/-

By discount they mean free insurance

Please find the Finance details below For Skoda Rapid Tdi Elegance finance scheme.
LOAN AMOUNT Rs 872000/- 36 MONTH ROI 7.99% EMI RS 27414/-

I feel on road price is on the expensive side than how much it was 6 months before.
Correct me If wrong. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2013, 09:49   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
After putting off my plan to by a skoda rapid few months back thanks to a fellow members false report on rapid getting steering control ICE, I am yet again in search mode.
Are you sure that the report on a facelift was false? I asked my dad to hold off on getting a Skoda Rapid as well hoping for a facelift soon. We are more interested in the projector headlights than the steering controls for ICE.
Old 19th August 2013, 16:04   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
Are you sure that the report on a facelift was false? I asked my dad to hold off on getting a Skoda Rapid as well hoping for a facelift soon. We are more interested in the projector headlights than the steering controls for ICE.
I am not sure whether the news is true because no one has any information about it.
If its only the projector light you can order it anyday. Monte carlo fabia projector headlight. Should set you back by 20=30k.
Why wait.. ? if at all there are going to be any updates, cost is going to go up as well. So buy the car and start enjoying.

Previous owners please comment on the price quoted. What did I miss by not going for the prestige edition?

Last edited by Visaster : 19th August 2013 at 16:06.
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:35   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

Today only I was considering the extended warranty option for my Rapid and on giving a call to the service center, the SA in total ignorance, told me that it can be had only at the time of buying the vehicle! I did not argue with him on that as there is really no point in trying to explain how things stand.

So I discussed with him if its advisable to have the EW anyway considering that Skoda treats most of the damages to be in the wear and tear category for which they dont give any warranty. He tried to make a point that EW would still cover faulty a/c compressor and freakish accident with the engine. However I am not much convinced because these are such parts which would not go wrong if one exercises some caution. Had they covered suspension and other parts which are more likely to go wrong in the long run, it would have been a nice deal to go for EW. But right now I am not sure about it. My car is about to complete one year and has clocked 16k and except for the brake discs which were replaced under warranty, the car has been a dream to drive! touch wood!

Hi Torque18,

Did you buy extended warranty finally ? Even I am in the same boat as you.
A friend of mine who has Vento had lot of problems and most got fixed without spending much since he had extended warranty. He highly recommends EW.

If you have bought it, please let me know. Even I was told that EW can be bought only at the time of purchase.

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:35   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishanth.shegde View Post
Hi Torque18,

Did you buy extended warranty finally ? Even I am in the same boat as you.
A friend of mine who has Vento had lot of problems and most got fixed without spending much since he had extended warranty. He highly recommends EW.

If you have bought it, please let me know. Even I was told that EW can be bought only at the time of purchase.

Thanks
Hi Nishanth

Yes, I did go for EW as it was highly recommended by the fellow members. Moreover, at 11k think of it as a one time investment for 2 more years of peace of mind. Agreed, that they may not accept your warranty claim with respect to many of the things but still you will be covered against major failures that might just occur.

And yes, they did make a scene saying I was not entitled to EW as I did not take the first year insurance from them but I wrote mails to the customer care and got a prompt response from the dealer who offered me the EW saying that their 'system somehow accepts EW offer for my car'. Well, i know all that was just shit and they were only playing around earlier. Pester your dealer, drop a mail to the customer care people and rest they will do.
Old 25th August 2013, 16:25   #1152
BHPian

Hi

I have been using Aceleres on my Rapid for 26k kms now. I have been enjoying the Tdi engine and the car's stock shoes have more or less lived up to the task. However, last weekend I undertook a trip to Delhi, covering a little over 1300 kms. It was raining cats and dogs at some places and i noticed a rather strange behavior for the first time. At places where the water had collected a bit (enough to create a good splash around) and I steered one side of the car through the water, the car would get swayed considerably. The speed must have been 80-90 at those places. Shook me when it happened the first time, tried again cautiously the second time with the same reaction. After that I started to slow down considerably when I needed to steer through water. Never felt this earlier. Tyres still have a decent amount of thread. What could be the reason? Or is it only normal to expect such a behavior in water?
Old 25th August 2013, 16:49   #1153
BHPian

My 18 days old Rapid TDi gave me 9.5kmpl for its first tankful. Though its very low for a diesel, the car was used in very high traffic with lots of waiting and very short distances. I will wait till the running-in period is over before actually making a judgement since its elder VAG sibling (jetta) gives me about 14.5 kmpl in mixed traffic conditions.
Old 25th August 2013, 16:58   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post

Tyres still have a decent amount of thread. What could be the reason? Or is it only normal to expect such a behavior in water?
I've had scary experience on highways in driving through stretches of water due to aquaplaning, even with good tread on my tyres. The steering sways heavily, it's almost like losing control of your car.

I always slow down now wherever I see a stretch of water.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 25th August 2013 at 16:59.
Old 25th August 2013, 17:42   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've had scary experience on highways in driving through stretches of water due to aquaplaning, even with good tread on my tyres. The steering sways heavily, it's almost like losing control of your car.

I always slow down now wherever I see a stretch of water.
Its damn scary especially when you are doing good speeds! Do tyres have any role to play in this? Will a superior tyre fare better in such a situation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks