Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 18:34   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Its damn scary especially when you are doing good speeds! Do tyres have any role to play in this? Will a superior tyre fare better in such a situation?
My understanding is that better tyres won't help significantly. Always slow down in rain ; 80-90 is quite a high speed in heavy rains.

Also search for aquaplaning on this forum or google it ; this thread will probably go off-topic otherwise . See also this thread for safe driving in the rains.
Old 25th August 2013, 19:17   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its damn scary especially when you are doing good speeds! Do tyres have any role to play in this? Will a superior tyre fare better in such a situation?
Tyres have every thing to do with wet conditions. Some treads are superior for expelling water, some are just so so.

Just go to the manufacturer's sites and check which tyres give good performance under wet conditions.
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lear...h-tyre-for-you
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...elin/HydroEdge
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/car-...edFitment=none
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/car-...dFilter=summer
Old 25th August 2013, 21:19   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Tyres have every thing to do with wet conditions. Some treads are superior for expelling water, some are just so so.

Just go to the manufacturer's sites and check which tyres give good performance under wet conditions.
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lear...h-tyre-for-you
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...elin/HydroEdge
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/car-...edFitment=none
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/car-...dFilter=summer
Yes even I read the same. I think I will stick to the Acelers for some more time and switch to something better before the next rainy reason.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:50   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes even I read the same. I think I will stick to the Acelers for some more time and switch to something better before the next rainy reason.
Tyres which are good for wet weather have the following characteristics
. The pattern has a lot of narrow channels for expelling water
. The pattern ensures that the rubber touches the tarmac
. The tyre compounds are softer so that the tread matches the road surface undulations

High speed wet weather tyres may not be good for mud as their channels are narrow meant for water and mud may clog them, unless it can mix with water.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 16:09   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishanth.shegde View Post
Even I was told that EW can be bought only at the time of purchase.
Not true at all. I purchased my rapid in march but paid for the EW in april. The TAFE guys sat on it all this time and finally sent the papers last week - 4 months after i paid up. More so, the date of issue in the paper is July! Why? because the warranty guy was on leave.

So, as torque18 said, don't take their word for it.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:22   #1161

Hi all. I test drove the skoda rapid petrol at a Skoda Showroom in Outer Ring Road, J P Nagar, Bangalore(I don't remember the name of the dealer) . It was the leisure variant which had one airbag(driver side). When I told the sales person that 2 airbags are necessary he said that the only one is enough and that the airbag is deployed only when the speed is above 140kmph and seat belt is in place. Is this true? As far as my knowledge goes, seat belt has got nothing to do with airbag. And will the airbags be deployed when the speed is more than 140kmph? I would be glad if some gurus enlighten me on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th August 2013, 18:14   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand89 View Post
Hi all. I test drove the skoda rapid petrol at a Skoda Showroom in Outer Ring Road, J P Nagar, Bangalore(I don't remember the name of the dealer) . It was the leisure variant which had one airbag(driver side). When I told the sales person that 2 airbags are necessary he said that the only one is enough and that the airbag is deployed only when the speed is above 140kmph and seat belt is in place. Is this true? As far as my knowledge goes, seat belt has got nothing to do with airbag. And will the airbags be deployed when the speed is more than 140kmph? I would be glad if some gurus enlighten me on this. Thanks in advance.
Salespersons!

Airbags will deploy if there is a frontal impact of a certain intensity or higher. There are sensors which measure this and if the sensors measure a strong enough impact, the airbags WILL deploy, whether you are wearing seat belts or not.

Airbag deployment has nothing to do with the speed. It can deploy even if you have a frontal impact at 20kph, if the impact is hard enough to trigger the sensors.

Driver airbag will protect the driver only. If the car has driver and passenger airbag the airbags will protect the driver and passenger. More no. of airbags = more safety , but also higher cost. If safety is high on your priority list go for the variant with dual airbags.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:41   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
My 18 days old Rapid TDi gave me 9.5kmpl for its first tankful. Though its very low for a diesel, the car was used in very high traffic with lots of waiting and very short distances. I will wait till the running-in period is over before actually making a judgement since its elder VAG sibling (jetta) gives me about 14.5 kmpl in mixed traffic conditions.
Nothing to worry about. My Rapid TDI was returning just above 10kmpl for the first couple of 1000kms. All my driving was in heavy traffic but >50kms / day. Currently with 7000kms on the odo, I am seeing 14-15kmpl achieved easily with AC on.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 13:14   #1164
BHPian

Hi

Does anyone know if Rapid has an under-body shield for the engine compartment? My car doesn't have it and i noticed it today when i was getting my car washed at the VW service station.

I checked with the SA there if Vento has it and he informed me that only diesel Ventos have it and showed me a car.

I was a bit surprised that diesel vento/polo have it but diesel Rapid doesn't have it. It was quite a clean fit and i think its good protection for our roads. Any idea if Skoda is giving such shield now in Rapid? And whether it can be installed? because there were quite a few bolts and i am not sure if it will be possible to have it fixed even if i buy it from VW.
Old 31st August 2013, 21:58   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Does anyone know if Rapid has an under-body shield for the engine compartment? My car doesn't have it and i noticed it today when i was getting my car washed at the VW service station.

I checked with the SA there if Vento has it and he informed me that only diesel Ventos have it and showed me a car.

I was a bit surprised that diesel vento/polo have it but diesel Rapid doesn't have it. It was quite a clean fit and i think its good protection for our roads. Any idea if Skoda is giving such shield now in Rapid? And whether it can be installed? because there were quite a few bolts and i am not sure if it will be possible to have it fixed even if i buy it from VW.
No, Rapid does not come with underbody cover. I believe Fabia used to come with it. If Fabia really did come with underbody cover, then it should fit Rapid easily with some jugaad
Old 2nd September 2013, 03:05   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
No, Rapid does not come with underbody cover. I believe Fabia used to come with it. If Fabia really did come with underbody cover, then it should fit Rapid easily with some jugaad
Thanks. I guess Vento's should be a better fit since the engine is exactly the same so all the protrusions should be similar and that would make it easier. But really surprising that Skoda gave this thing a miss even though Vento has it!
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:00   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I guess Vento's should be a better fit since the engine is exactly the same so all the protrusions should be similar and that would make it easier. But really surprising that Skoda gave this thing a miss even though Vento has it!
I talked to Vinayaka Cars service engineer, he said the same, Vento's cover will easily fit Rapid. He will confirm on sourcing it with one of his friend (who works with VW).
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:34   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
I talked to Vinayaka Cars service engineer, he said the same, Vento's cover will easily fit Rapid. He will confirm on sourcing it with one of his friend (who works with VW).
Please do share the details as and when you have them
Old 3rd September 2013, 02:40   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. let us know too. May be worth it IMHO
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:06   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
I believe you are talking about the sump guard. If Yes, Vento's sump guard should fit rapid as well. And, it costs around 6000Rs if i am not wrong . If you get it for a cheaper price, please let us know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks