Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 17:04   #1246
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I have been told that Skoda is offering up to Rs1lakh offer on both Fabia and Rapid.
I have been quoted Rs 10.7lakhs on road Chennai, for elegance rapid discounted from Rs 11.5lakhs present price. That amounts to an offer of Rs.80000/-

What do you people feel.
I know its a real value for money car, but with supposedly 2014 version in talks, what are we speaking in terms of upgrade for a 1.3lakh premium?

Bluetooth audio, Steering control, USB

15inch alloy, climate control.

Projector lights

Please let me know whether I should go for the older one or pay the premium and make use of the few extra features.
Old 21st October 2013, 22:54   #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
I heard that Skoda is offering 5 years service Holiday for the Rapid, this includes the service cost and the consumables as well ,I somehow feel this is too good to be true.
Did anyone else hear about the same and if anyone can confirm that this is true to an extent, Iam sure there should be a catch to it so I would request for some more details around the offer.
Based on my research, it seems that the '5 year service holiday' isn't really it. Caveats/details:
  • Need to avail Skoda (VW?) Finance
  • Applicable only for the duration of the finance
  • You pay a certain predetermined sum (@700-odd) every month in addition to your EMI

Essentially, you are locking your yearly service costs (including consumables) at ~8500 per year.

Existing Rapid owners (MPI, especially) may comment if this is worth it or not.
palio9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:04   #1248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just wanted to highlight an incident that happened with a friend of mine who also owns a Rapid. Without unlocking the car thru the remote key, he had used the key to open the boot and by mistake he placed the key inside and closed the boot. So the doors were locked, keys stuck in the boot. he had to travel back to his residence and pick up the second key. Now, this is purely an oversight from the car owner, but I wonder why the boot is not linked to the doors. I had a Dzire earlier and i think it had a better system in this regard. If you did not unlock the car thru the remote and tried to mechanically open the boot, it sends out an alarm. So you are forced to unlock the car thru the remote and then open the boot. This way if the key gets locked in the boot, you could still open the doors and retrieve the key.
It's not a big deal, but I just felt VW/Skoda could have done this like Maruti, whose ICATS security system is quite good.
My guess is it is done intentionally so that boot can't be opened by braking into the car.

Quote:
And secondly, why dont Rapid / Vento / Polo have the provision to lock/unlock each door? When the car starts, the doors get locked, but if someone tries to open the lever it just opens, even while on the move. There is no lock mechanism at all. Understand that this is linked to safety since during an emergency doors can be opened from inside, but do all newer cars come with this kind of a fitment? Is this the best solution from a emergency point of view?
They just don't have a separate knob for unlocking. It is the case with most EU cars. You pull the lever once to unlock and pull again to open.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:59   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Are the new logos available off the shelf? Love the new logo, its quite classy and would surely replace the existing one if possible.
Last I checked there weren't yet available. Atleast here in Pune. The SA told me they will get those once they start rolling out the new Rapid.
Old 26th October 2013, 00:47   #1250
BHPian

[quote=

And secondly, why dont Rapid / Vento / Polo have the provision to lock/unlock each door? When the car starts, the doors get locked, but if someone tries to open the lever it just opens, even while on the move. There is no lock mechanism at all. Understand that this is linked to safety since during an emergency doors can be opened from inside, but do all newer cars come with this kind of a fitment? Is this the best solution from a emergency point of view?[/QUOTE]

I asked the same Q to the Skoda Dealer Service Advisor and he told me this is only for the front doors (as you mentioned, for emergency cases). He said its a European designed car where adults sit in the front and children sit in the back - the children doors remain locked and cannot be opened from inside with the lever. Of course, once locked the doors cannot be opened from outside.
Old 26th October 2013, 02:13   #1251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestallion View Post
I asked the same Q to the Skoda Dealer Service Advisor and he told me this is only for the front doors (as you mentioned, for emergency cases). He said its a European designed car where adults sit in the front and children sit in the back - the children doors remain locked and cannot be opened from inside with the lever. Of course, once locked the doors cannot be opened from outside.
SA is plain wrong. Rear doors have the same door opening mechanism as the front doors. SA is probably referring to child-lock provision which is common to all cars and nothing specific to EU.

Here is the relevant section from the manual (Laura but applicable to most EU cars):

Quote:
It is not possible to open the doors or the boot lid from the outside (safety feature, e.g. when stopping at traffic lights etc.).
The doors can be unlocked and opened from the inside by pulling on the opening lever of the respective door. By the first pull on the opening lever, the door is unlocked. By the second pull on the opening lever, the door is opened.
If at least one door has been opened, the vehicle cannot be locked.
In the event of an accident in which the airbags are deployed, the locked doors are automatically unlocked from the inside in order to enable rescuers to gain access to the vehicle.

Last edited by androdev : 26th October 2013 at 02:26.
Old 29th October 2013, 00:21   #1252
BHPian

After viewing so many thread on Rapid and comparisons with similar C segment sedans, finalizing on the Skoda Rapid Leisure Edition 1.6 TDI

Features =
Ambition Plus +
Alloys (Do we get only 4?) +
Rear Camera +
Parking Sensors +
Leatherette Seat Covers +
Door Sills +
Garmin Navigation

Features Sorely Missed (I wanted these!!!)=
USB port
MID
Steering Mounted Controls

Then why Rapeeeeed?

Deal=
OTR is 1082166 (New Delhi)
Final OTR Price = 1006000 (Effective Discount = 76166)
Loan Amount = 500000
Interest Charged = 5.41% (Who can miss this?)
Duration = 36months

Further Included Benefits =
5X5 Offer
1. Dirt Cheap Interest Rate
2. Free First Year Insurance
3. 5 Years Warranty (787/month to be paid for first 12 months)
4. 3 Years PMS (861/month to be paid for duration of loan i.e. 36 months - Will Cover Regular Service costs and regular consumables)
5. 5 Years Road Side Assistance
And Mats

Will also be getting the same with new Skoda badge.

Good Deal or can be better?

Last edited by achopraa : 29th October 2013 at 00:24.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 09:52   #1253
Senior - BHPian

The updated Rapid is spotted at the dealerships;

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapid1024x769.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapiddashboard1024x769.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidmusicsystem1024x769.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidprojectorheadlights21024x769.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidprojectorheadlights2.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidprojectorheadlights1024x769.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidrear1024x769.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidsteeringwheel.jpg

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/2...a-rapid-102156
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-new2014skodarapidsteeringwheel1024x769.jpg  

sarathlal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 00:44   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The updated Rapid is spotted at the dealerships;
The new steering with audio controls looks amazing and complements better to the changing face of skoda especially with the launch of the new Octavia. I only wish if they did something about those chocolate brown interiors!!
Old 31st October 2013, 12:05   #1255
BHPian

Are there any discounts being offered on the updated Rapid MPI? The earlier version has a discount of 50k.

This just makes it more difficult now to decide between the Rapid and the Vento (Petrol).
Old 31st October 2013, 12:52   #1256
BHPian

Skoda has just updated its website.

1. 5X5 Rapid offer page now removed
2. Rapid Leisure Edition details and Pricing removed
Old 1st November 2013, 19:24   #1257
BHPian

Moderatore note: Back to back post, use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post

Further Included Benefits =
5X5 Offer
1. Dirt Cheap Interest Rate
2. Free First Year Insurance
3. 5 Years Warranty (787/month to be paid for first 12 months)
4. 3 Years PMS (861/month to be paid for duration of loan i.e. 36 months - Will Cover Regular Service costs and regular consumables)
5. 5 Years Road Side Assistance
And Mats

Will also be getting the same with new Skoda badge.

Good Deal or can be better?
Thank You very much for this detailed information @palio9 & @ achopraa.

I would like to highlight a misquote on this concept so that prospective buyers can be careful.
A colleague of mine bought a Rapid recently from Mahavir Skoda Hyderabad.He got the car financed through VW finance and settled for an EMI option of 24 months. The Sales person informed my colleague about the PMS option and in fact told him that the PMS is for 5 years with the EMI , however he never clarified to my colleague that with 24 Months EMI the PMS is only valid for 2 years. My colleague happily opted for PMS and RS 871 was added to his EMI. He was under the impression that he would be paying Rs 861X 24 = RS 20,664 for a period of 5 years which is quite economical.

It was only when I showed him this post he realized that PMS in his case would be for 2 years which is approximately 10K per service which is 60% higher than the costs shown on official Skoda website (http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Service-Cost-Calculator). The website showed us a quotation of Rs 6,832 inclusive of taxes & labour for consumables for 15K service interval.

He immediately called Mahavir Skoda and they used all their training in customer skills and confirmed his worst fears at the end of the conversation. They accepted his point that he would be paying a higher price for the service intervals and without hesitation they tried to convince him, stating that since they gave him a loan for a much cheaper rate than another other bank he should be fine with this.

My colleague has now asked them to discontinue this option from his EMI and currently awaiting confirmation from them.

I know there is a mistake from my colleague as well as he did not dig deeper into details when this offer was put across the table.I would request everyone to be very cautions and spend additional time in understanding these tricky offers before signing the deal as we have a good number of vicious dealers & sales persons out there waiting to trap unsuspecting customers and use their excited mood of buying a new car to their advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Skoda has just updated its website.

1. 5X5 Rapid offer page now removed
2. Rapid Leisure Edition details and Pricing removed
I have further done some calculations on the PMS offer from Skoda and I personally feel it is a complete loss for the customers (unless I missed something which Skoda might be doing during their service intervals) here it goes,

Rs 6832 First Servicing @ 15K
Rs 9507 Second Servicing @ 30K
Rs 8191 Third Servicing @ 45K
Rs 24530 Total Cost

Source of above information : http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Service-Cost-Calculator

By opting for a 3 Years PMS we are paying Rs 861 X 36 = Rs 30,996 which is higher by Rs 6466 and ironically this figure is close to 70% of your expected cost of your 4th service @ 60K which is around Rs 9507.

Honestly IMO this is cheating in disguise by Skoda.

I now read that Skoda has discontinued this option which is good, however not sure how many customers have already fallen prey to this smart trap.

Please correct me If I missed something while calculating the numbers.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st November 2013 at 22:39.
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:39   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Moderatore note: Back to back post, use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks.

Thank You very much for this detailed information @palio9 & @ achopraa.

I would like to highlight a misquote on this concept so that prospective buyers can be careful.
A colleague of mine bought a Rapid recently from Mahavir Skoda Hyderabad.He got the car financed through VW finance and settled for an EMI option of 24 months. The Sales person informed my colleague about the PMS option and in fact told him that the PMS is for 5 years with the EMI , however he never clarified to my colleague that with 24 Months EMI the PMS is only valid for 2 years. My colleague happily opted for PMS and RS 871 was added to his EMI. He was under the impression that he would be paying Rs 861X 24 = RS 20,664 for a period of 5 years which is quite economical.

It was only when I showed him this post he realized that PMS in his case would be for 2 years which is approximately 10K per service which is 60% higher than the costs shown on official Skoda website (http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Service-Cost-Calculator). The website showed us a quotation of Rs 6,832 inclusive of taxes & labour for consumables for 15K service interval.

He immediately called Mahavir Skoda and they used all their training in customer skills and confirmed his worst fears at the end of the conversation. They accepted his point that he would be paying a higher price for the service intervals and without hesitation they tried to convince him, stating that since they gave him a loan for a much cheaper rate than another other bank he should be fine with this.

My colleague has now asked them to discontinue this option from his EMI and currently awaiting confirmation from them.

I know there is a mistake from my colleague as well as he did not dig deeper into details when this offer was put across the table.I would request everyone to be very cautions and spend additional time in understanding these tricky offers before signing the deal as we have a good number of vicious dealers & sales persons out there waiting to trap unsuspecting customers and use their excited mood of buying a new car to their advantage.

I have further done some calculations on the PMS offer from Skoda and I personally feel it is a complete loss for the customers (unless I missed something which Skoda might be doing during their service intervals) here it goes,

Rs 6832 First Servicing @ 15K
Rs 9507 Second Servicing @ 30K
Rs 8191 Third Servicing @ 45K
Rs 24530 Total Cost

Source of above information : http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Service-Cost-Calculator

By opting for a 3 Years PMS we are paying Rs 861 X 36 = Rs 30,996 which is higher by Rs 6466 and ironically this figure is close to 70% of your expected cost of your 4th service @ 60K which is around Rs 9507.

Honestly IMO this is cheating in disguise by Skoda.

I now read that Skoda has discontinued this option which is good, however not sure how many customers have already fallen prey to this smart trap.

Please correct me If I missed something while calculating the numbers.
1. It is good to see that my post helped someone
2. It is normal for the Sales Reps to make false/incorrect commitments (I have a story to tell as well for my Rapeeeed but then it calls for another thread), so I usually call multiple dealers to get as much details as I can when any such offer is around.
3. While the PMS might have been costing more, 2 things were of consideration.
  • 1 VW Interest Rate was so cheap that I would be amazed if someone doesn't opt for it. For a period of 3 years, it helped me save 48780 when compared to other cheapest SBI Home Loan.
  • 2 There is escalation in Labour Cost and Spare parts over the years. My i10's Service Labour cost increased by around 50-60% in a span of 5 years. I assumed, the rise would be much steep in case of Skoda.
4. Also, in the offer they add for the Insurance cost for the number of years you take the loan for minus one year which they call free. So for 3 years loan, you are charged for insurance amount of 1864 (Leisure-Diesel) which is included in your EMI which is very very costly. Thus, I chose to not take Insurance from them and only the first year Insurance was taken as complimentary. I topped it with the Zero Dep at an additional cost of roughly 5 grand.

Last edited by achopraa : 2nd November 2013 at 02:55.
Old 9th November 2013, 19:57   #1259
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda may drop the Rapid AT in India, will bring in Rapid TSI instead.

Volkswagen has just announced that it is dropping the Vento AT]as it has been replaced by the new Vento TSI.

Quote:
If Skoda does bring in the Rapid TSI we expect them to continue selling the 1.6 litre petrol variant with a manual transmission as VW has done with the Vento. The diesel will also continue to be on sale with a five-speed manual. Both the manual petrol and diesel will continue to be offered in three trim levels while the TSI will likely be sold as a single, premium offering.

http://overdrive.in/news/skoda-may-d...d-tsi-instead/
Old 19th November 2013, 17:10   #1260
BHPian

Has anyone tried cleaning the dust/pollen filter on the car?
A DIY would help.

Also some stupidity has happened.

I had plans to go for 15 inch tires once the orignal tires wear out.
however during my absence dad had to replace the existing left rear on the car.
He replaced the tyre with the same one.

Also i realised since I have 14 inch alloys i cannot put 15 inch tyres.

1.Is it sensible to replace 1,2,3 tyres with different ones than the one already installed?
2. If possible which 14 inch tyres should i put for better grip ?

Most Viewed