Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 15:35   #1426
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Regardless of the talks about the Euro-specific Rapid, I am tempted to consider even the MY 14 model. But anyway, let me wait for the European Rapid to arrive here. I will surely consider it. Is there any dimension difference between the present one and the Euro-specific one? Steering, I think, will again be an EPS. I only hope for a good feedback from it, since I am used to the Ford Fiesta's (present classic).

Vipin.
Old 28th January 2014, 16:38   #1427
BHPian

Hi All

I want to install the reverse parking sensors with camera in my MY 14 Rapid Elegance TDi. Any suggestion as to which brand in particular to be selected? Also wanted to know if its possible to get the sensors in C Biege colour so that it matches to the car colour. I am based out of Thane/Mumbai, so any recommendation to a particular shop is also welcome.
Old 28th January 2014, 17:17   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabhishek View Post
Hi All

I want to install the reverse parking sensors with camera in my MY 14 Rapid Elegance TDi. Any suggestion as to which brand in particular to be selected? Also wanted to know if its possible to get the sensors in C Biege colour so that it matches to the car colour. I am based out of Thane/Mumbai, so any recommendation to a particular shop is also welcome.
If you are not worried about warranty, go to a good nearby accessories shop and get a good one installed. Should not cost you more than 1500 bucks.

In case you are worried about warranty or have an extended warranty, I would suggest you to go for Orginal Skoda ones which are (damn) expensive at 3969 but will give you the peace of mind.

Cheers.
Old 28th January 2014, 17:31   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
If you are not worried about warranty, go to a good nearby accessories shop and get a good one installed. Should not cost you more than 1500 bucks.

In case you are worried about warranty or have an extended warranty, I would suggest you to go for Orginal Skoda ones which are (damn) expensive at 3969 but will give you the peace of mind.

Cheers.
Would the installation make the entire warranty void even if no wires are cut? There must be some kits available in the market where there are socket connections and there is no requirement to cut the wires.
Old 28th January 2014, 19:42   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
There must be some kits available in the market where there are socket connections and there is no requirement to cut the wires.
It is advisable to spend another 2000 bucks when it is worth the peace of mind. Even those aftermarket kits require wires to be spliced.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 28th January 2014 at 19:45.
Old 28th January 2014, 21:25   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Would the installation make the entire warranty void even if no wires are cut? There must be some kits available in the market where there are socket connections and there is no requirement to cut the wires.
I am not sure whether all warranty or only electrical warranty or no warranty will be avoid.
Why take a chance specially with SKODA's notorious A$$ Service Centres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
It is advisable to spend another 2000 bucks when it is worth the peace of mind. Even those aftermarket kits require wires to be spliced.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 22:06   #1432
BANNED

Quote:
Would the installation make the entire warranty void even if no wires are cut?
Yes. it would make the warranty void. In addition you will run the risk of running into other problems on account of possible shoddy workmanship that could create problems with your electrics / electronics. The following thread will give you some general tips:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html
Old 29th January 2014, 14:29   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure whether all warranty or only electrical warranty or no warranty will be avoid.
Why take a chance specially with SKODA's notorious A$$ Service Centres?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Yes. it would make the warranty void. In addition you will run the risk of running into other problems on account of possible shoddy workmanship that could create problems with your electrics / electronics. The following thread will give you some general tips:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html
Just checked with two skoda showrooms in Mumbai. They have two types:

1) Skoda Authorised - Only parking sensor - Black Colour Rs 5,900
2) Torq Brand - Parking sensor with Camera - Body Coloured. Rs 9,999

Now what the accessory executive told me is that they install the 2nd one in most of the cars they deliver, with their dealership's bill and one year warranty.

Regarding the car warranty he said that there would be no wire cutting. The entire fitting would be socket to socket. I can be there during the installation and see to confirm that no wires are cut. And as no wires are cut no loss of warranty.

The same brand would be available I suppose in local shops as well for something less but I am not sure about the colour and the socket to socket fitting.

I am getting more inclined towards the skoda dealership fitting with second option. What do you guys suggest?

Additionally there is an issue which I am noticing with my Rapid (Not sure if this is an issue). My car has done 1100 kms. When I am driving alone and the trunk is empty and my car rolls over the hump of a speed breaker I hear a sound like 'Thad' from the rear. This happens at speeds more than 20kmph and a jerk is felt. Is this normal for Rapid or this because of the suspension. The sound is identical like that of a spare tyre which is left loose and it jumps when the car rolls over a hump. I have checked the spare tyre it is not loose. Any ideas?
Old 29th January 2014, 16:07   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
2) Torq Brand - Parking sensor with Camera- Rs9,999
The prices you have mentioned are unreasonably high for both. Skoda official parking sensors are priced at 3979 INR, you can check it here. The second package is available at around 5000 bucks but it is not an official accessory AFAIK.
Hope this helps!

Quote:
When I am driving alone and the trunk is empty and my car rolls over the hump of a speed breaker I hear a sound like 'Thad' from the rear. Any ideas?
The thud is quite common in Rapid and Vento for their suspension settings but there is also a possibility for the spare wheel well hitting the humps. Inspect under the boot area for any scratches and better be a little more careful while rolling over humps.
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 16:10   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked with two skoda showrooms in Mumbai. They have two types:

2) Torq Brand - Parking sensor with Camera - Body Coloured. Rs 9,999

Now what the accessory executive told me is that they install the 2nd one in most of the cars they deliver, with their dealership's bill and one year warranty.

Regarding the car warranty he said that there would be no wire cutting. The entire fitting would be socket to socket. I can be there during the installation and see to confirm that no wires are cut. And as no wires are cut no loss of warranty.

The same brand would be available I suppose in local shops as well for something less but I am not sure about the colour and the socket to socket fitting.

I am getting more inclined towards the skoda dealership fitting with second option. What do you guys suggest?
Go for Skoda but why is the charge so high?
And what display are they giving for the Camera? Can you get a picture and post it?

Quote:
Additionally there is an issue which I am noticing with my Rapid (Not sure if this is an issue). My car has done 1100 kms. When I am driving alone and the trunk is empty and my car rolls over the hump of a speed breaker I hear a sound like 'Thad' from the rear. This happens at speeds more than 20kmph and a jerk is felt. Is this normal for Rapid or this because of the suspension. The sound is identical like that of a spare tyre which is left loose and it jumps when the car rolls over a hump. I have checked the spare tyre it is not loose. Any ideas?
Yes, this is due to stiff suspension. Go slow over the humps is the only solution.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 16:47   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
The prices you have mentioned are unreasonably high for both. Skoda official parking sensors are priced at 3979 INR, you can check it here. The second package is available at around 5000 bucks but it is not an official accessory AFAIK.
Hope this helps!
Thanks... Yes even I checked on the official Skoda page, but it seems that dealers want to promote the other brands may be due to higher margins and thats why they are quoting incorrect rates. Even the torq one is higher but I didnt really check with the local accessory shop and I am not sure if they do the socket to socket fitting with body colour. Wire cutting would be a strict no no for me. Will check with my regular accessory shop as well and then decide. In case this guy also does socket to socket fitting and gives body coloured sensors for reasonable price, I would go for that. The guy from the skoda showroom said he would bargain when I said the prices are high. On Saturday when I go for the fitting it will be clear.

Quote:
Go for Skoda but why is the charge so high?
And what display are they giving for the Camera? Can you get a picture and post it?
You mean go for the Skoda fitting with Option 2 or the skoda authorised sensors? The display they are giving for the camera would be the one which sits on the Rear View Mirror. Would try and post the pic.

Quote:
The thud is quite common in Rapid and Vento for their suspension settings but there is also a possibility for the spare wheel well hitting the humps. Inspect under the boot area for any scratches and better be a little more careful while rolling over humps.
Quote:
Yes, this is due to stiff suspension. Go slow over the humps is the only solution.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think Skoda, VW should take care of the same.

The Elegance & Ambition model have the Acoustic warning signal for overrun speed. Have you tried setting this in the MFD? I did this yesterday but when I crossed the limit, the warning was coming on the MFD by way of flashing signal. No alarm or warning sound was there. Is there a audio alert for this as the ICE has an option for Speed Volume Level. I had set this to maximum still no audio alert.
Old 30th January 2014, 00:09   #1437
Senior - BHPian

A snap of horrible accessory installation by Skoda dealer, the reverse parking sensor module placed behind tail lamp and see how the wires have been tapped by slicing the insulation and then joining the wires and taping. No connectors used because there is none for parking sensors, also see a Headunit being installed by dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-hu.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-wp_20140128_013.jpg  

Old 30th January 2014, 09:45   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
A snap of horrible accessory installation by Skoda dealer, the reverse parking sensor module placed behind tail lamp and see how the wires have been tapped by slicing the insulation and then joining the wires and taping. No connectors used because there is none for parking sensors, also see a Headunit being installed by dealer.
I feel as long as this is not voiding the warranty because this is being done at an authorised dealer, it hardly matters (at least for me).
I too got my parking sensors installed at the time of the deliver for my Rapid. I did this only because the dealer said the warranty can get void if the electricals are played with.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:52   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
That's horrendous
Which dealer/city was this done in?
Was the installation not done in front of the car owner?
Old 31st January 2014, 15:55   #1440
BHPian

Looks like Buy now. Pay in 2015 deal is still on or back. Is this applicable for 2014 make models also? In addition, the calculation still seems confusing to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th May 2014 at 10:19. Reason: Old post - but removing a corrupt image.

Most Viewed