Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 07:54   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I know Skoda has very scary after sales but I don't think VW is any better. It's relatively younger so complaints are lesser for VW.

Both companies share the same parts and belong to the same parent company. Whatever issues you will get in Vento you will get in Rapid. VW will handle the same way as Skoda. Unfortunately for Skoda they had horrible dealers which has ruined their reputation and they went about fixing their image all wrong. VW also has it's fair share of issues. Both are nowhere near Toyota in after sales.
You seem to be quite skeptical of VW's future A$$ condition. Remember you putting up a thread sometime back for one of your friend's VW on this matter, right? Apart from that, & the crappy pre-sales, haven't seen any foul cases so far. Anything we should watch out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Great Review guys. But with this pricing I don't think the Rapid will steal much sales away from the Vento. VW is still > than Skoda(Snob value wise). The price difference is very small comparatively.
Apparently the price of the Vento (Tdi) has gone up. fyi the post below - still to be confirmed from other dealers. Would be heading to the Pune dealer today to get clarity on this.

Please note the 60k increase mentioned below is in three stages - a 20k increase in July, a 34k increase in October due to new features (steering controls & new music system, etc), and an additional 16k increase this month (which has to be confirmed with other dealers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
Looks like Volkswagen had increased the prices of Highline MT 1.6 TDI by nearly INR 60K. The quote I got from Secunderabad dealer is:

Ex showroom: 9,94,878/ -
Insurance : 45,839/-
LifeTax 14% : 1,39,490/-
Accessories STD : 25,062/-
Ext Warranty : 11,199/-
incidental charges : 14,950/-

Total onroad price in Hyderabad : 12,31,418/-

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st November 2011 at 08:07.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:16   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You seem to be quite skeptical of VW's future A$$ condition. Remember you putting up a thread sometime back for one of your friend's VW on this matter, right? Apart from that, & the crappy pre-sales, haven't seen any foul cases so far. Anything we should watch out for?
Was that me? I think that was Ajmat who's colleague had an accident in a Vento and the guy did not replace all the damaged components.

I wasn't referring to VW dealers doing some mischief like Skoda. I was just referring to general after sales service. The way I see it, VW will probably not go down the Skoda route but neither do I see them go up against Toyota or Hyundai. It's a trend seen for the entire VW group from Skoda to Audi to Lamborghini.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:52   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
IMHO the real competition will be when Skoda / VW will launch 1.4 TSI engine in Rapid / Vento, then the game will be on fair ground until then city is undisputed in this segment when it comes to petrol engine, auto box or not.
+1 to that! I'd really be keen to see if is a 1.4 TSI comes to India in the next couple of years. But am not sure if they can price it in the same segment. Anyway, I don't think it's happening too soon.

I think Laura in its Octavia form is available in 1.4 TSI in western countries.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:18   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious_m View Post
i checked the rapid out today

looks very good in flesh with the big grill and the large fog lights

the interiors are of pretty good material and the shiny black accents around the ac vents compliment the dark interiors very well.

The only grouse is that the ambition diesel which is a nice overall package for the price its offered at does not include the music system, not even a basic setup
Also if one does buy the ambition and fit it with an aftermarket system will it affect the warranty ?which is very important in Skodas case
No it will not. It has been built in a way to accommodate an Single DIN after market Stereo. This has been mentioned in the earlier pages.
Old 21st November 2011, 15:43   #170
GSM
BHPian

Visited the Skoda Showroom today (Gurudev Motors, Mt. Road, Chennai). The welcome was okayish. No test drives till the end of this week. Next week it should be available.

The fully loaded top end Elegance Tdi retails at 10.72 Lakhs OTR. The Ambition Tdi is quoted at 9.69 Lakhs OTR. A whopping one lakh difference! For Passenger Side Airbag, Built in Stereo and Four Good Looking Alloys.

I had enquired about loading the Ambition variant with Alloys and Music System, the dealer quoted approx Rs.28k for the alloys and new tyres (after exchange), and a touch screen double din (and not single din) music player with integrated blue tooth speaker at approx 30k. Warranty will not become void, since they will be done at Gurudev, Mt Road, Chennai itself. Seems quite a deal at approx 10.26 OTR after these changes.

But can the Ambition actually accommodate double din? Coz some members are pointing out that only single din is possible?

I'll be changing my car anytime in the next two - three months, and as of now, Rapid does stand a better chance in this regard.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2011, 16:07   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
The fully loaded top end Elegance Tdi retails at 10.72 Lakhs OTR. The Ambition Tdi is quoted at 9.69 Lakhs OTR. A whopping one lakh difference! For Passenger Side Airbag, Built in Stereo and Four Good Looking Alloys.

But can the Ambition actually accommodate double din? Coz some members are pointing out that only single din is possible?
In the elegance you also get climate control, electric mirrors and a more comprehensive multi function display. So it's not just alloys, passenger airbag and audio system.

Ambition can take a double din or single din. It's just the mounting plate that will have to be removed for double din.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 17:43   #172
GSM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In the elegance you also get climate control, electric mirrors and a more comprehensive multi function display. So it's not just alloys, passenger airbag and audio system.

Ambition can take a double din or single din. It's just the mounting plate that will have to be removed for double din.
Aah!!! The travails of not always enquiring completely. The way the Sales Guy was explaining the difference, and added to that my pre-fixed notion that the Ambition is a better buy (due to my budget constraint), I didn't even care to note the electric mirrors and climate control. The multifunction display isn't of great worth in my view, but definitely Electric Mirrors and Climate controls are.

Thanks for the info. Its a lesson to watch out for differences more carefully next time around. With a car shopping to be done, these differences make huge difference in decision making process.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:57   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis View Post
Free insurance and mats, mud flaps. 1 gm gold coin, spoiler and illuminated gear knob. all part of diwali package

I bought the Petrol Style
Sorry, I forgot to mention that we got vinyl leather seat covers also.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:57   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I had enquired about loading the Ambition variant with Alloys and Music System, the dealer quoted approx Rs.28k for the alloys and new tyres (after exchange), and a touch screen double din (and not single din) music player with integrated blue tooth speaker at approx 30k. Warranty will not become void, since they will be done at Gurudev, Mt Road, Chennai itself. Seems quite a deal at approx 10.26 OTR after these changes.

Cheers
Did the dealer quote 28K for the same 'Antares' alloys that come with elegance or is it for aftermarket alloys?

Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 18:00   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that we got vinyl leather seat covers also.
I doubt if you get these discounts for the Diesel Model. My sales rep was hell bent on convincing my dad to buy the petrol. I had to literally call up the rep to shut up and just sell me what I want. I went for the Diesel Mid End.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:31   #176
GSM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Did the dealer quote 28K for the same 'Antares' alloys that come with elegance or is it for aftermarket alloys?

Thanks
Didn't check on that. I asked him for Skoda alloys at the dealership itself. For which he gave me these numbers. Will check when I visit the showroom for a proper test drive (which will take place only in First or Second Week of December). Do you think that Antares alloys would be priced more than the number quoted?
Old 21st November 2011, 18:45   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't check on that. I asked him for Skoda alloys at the dealership itself. For which he gave me these numbers. Will check when I visit the showroom for a proper test drive (which will take place only in First or Second Week of December). Do you think that Antares alloys would be priced more than the number quoted?
In post #142 bala80 had mentioned about his skoda dealer quoting 18k per piece!!. That is why i am puzzled. If the 28k/set quote are for the same set, then well and good, means Skoda is getting reasonable with its pricing

I might be visiting gurudev, mt road this week for booking. I will also check with them about the alloy pricing. Will keep you posted.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 19:09   #178
Senior - BHPian

We went to gurudev motors arumbakkam branch. They already have close to 40 confirmed bookings and thats probably the reason the wait time quoted to us was more.

The salesman did tell us that 25k was the booking amount, however I wouldnt be surprised if they had increased it to 50k considering the good response the car has got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
Can you please tell me which dealer you had visited? I had to pay 50k as booking amount and I was told 15 days for delivery. This was at Gurudev Motors.
Ninja - I dont think there was a 3rd price increase. It may be an increase in the VAT for that particular state which has increased the ex-showroom by 16k. Vento TDI HL retails for 9.94 lakhs ex-showroom in chennai too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Please note the 60k increase mentioned below is in three stages - a 20k increase in July, a 34k increase in October due to new features (steering controls & new music system, etc), and an additional 16k increase this month (which has to be confirmed with other dealers).
@Th!ru - Yes, It was me who mentioned about 18k in my post earlier, however when I went to enquire again yesterday, I was informed the price may be much lower in the range of 7 to 8k and they are awaiting official confirmation from skoda on the accessory pricing list. We will get to know by this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
In post #142 bala80 had mentioned about his skoda dealer quoting 18k per piece!!. That is why i am puzzled. If the 28k/set quote are for the same set, then well and good, means Skoda is getting reasonable with its pricing

Thanks
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 19:21   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

@Th!ru - Yes, It was me who mentioned about 18k in my post earlier, however when I went to enquire again yesterday, I was informed the price may be much lower in the range of 7 to 8k and they are awaiting official confirmation from skoda on the accessory pricing list. We will get to know by this week.
Sweet!! fingers crossed. Skoda don't mess it up

Thanks for your prompt response and clarification.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:25   #180
BHPian

Nice review with plenty of excellent good quality pictures. thanks guys. a senior colleague of mine is looking around for a car in this segment. have referred this link to him. i am sure it will be informative read.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks