Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:51   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish View Post
Samurai, Vid, did you get to see the car in all colors ? Which looks the best pick (I know its subjective but still) ?
We saw only two colors, both are covered in our photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Kizashi has a CVT, right?
Oh boy, I didn't think that far. Didn't think anyone would compare Rapid with a CBU that costs twice as much.

Quote:
I have driven the Vento AT for nearly 15,000 km now. Same gearbox, same engine, hell virtually the same car! Samurai/Vid were dead-on when they commented that this car is not for those who drive it the same way they would a manual tranny car aggressively. That would explain the "own sweet time" it takes to reach peak speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
I agree with Noopster. Having driven the Vento AT for ~6 months now, have never experienced a wheezy engine, indecisive gearbox , too much engine noise or jerky shifts in traffic. I infact feel that it is much more refined and quickshifting than the City AT which I test drove many times. From stationary to crusing speed the gear changes are smooth and power keeps coming smoothly. Downshifting is also smoothly done.
Thanks guys for backing up the official review. We put lot of effort to provide an honest and extensive feedback on the AT version. When long time owners of the same auto box agree with our version, it really feels good.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:18   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually we spent 200kms in the AT, another 200kms in the diesel. I am very surprised your AT experience was so bad, probably the car had some technical problem, just like their diesel TD car. BTW, what is this CVT box of Maruties?
My mistake about 400kms. It should have been 200kms, sorry about that.
What is the gear box of old Zen & AStar AT, those are the ones that I have driven, I may be wrong if those are not called CVT gearbox, I thought they were. But what is the difference between the one on Rapid the those on these Maruties.

I have never owned an AT but I did drive the old Zen AT for about 4 months back in the days and that was an absolutely excellent and convenient car to drive, and the one on Rapid which I drove for about 5kms was nothing like that. I have also driven City AT (paddle shift) for about 1500kms and on that car I could barely notice the gears change and that was a fast affair how the car changed seamlessly in any condition.

It is a possibility that the particular car I drove had problems, hence the excessive engine noise, it was very unusual actually.

Shockingly the sales guy next to me was literally agreeing with all my views as though that is how this car is, with an expression why are you even TD it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks guys for backing up the official review. We put lot of effort to provide an honest and extensive feedback on the AT version. When long time owners of the same auto box agree with our version, it really feels good.
Samuri Sir my apologies if you have thought that I have undermined your official review, how dare can I do that to such a detailed, focused and sharp review done by you and Vid. I only put forward my experience, it was very disappointing and could have been due to that particular car in question. I wonder what could have been so wrong with that car. The engine was really wheezy and noisy every time it reved.

Quote:
"Indecisive" gearbox? Am sorry, that's just incorrect. The VW AT box maybe a plain Jane torque convertor and not a patch on their DSGs but it hardly ever hunts for gears.

I suggest you TD it again with your heart in it this time!
Actually it was indecisive all the time in traffic situation, as I have replied in other posts it could have been the car that I was driving, I really felt there was something wrong with it but the sales guy was sure that this is how this car car is, now to have taken the sales guy on face value. I recommend someone should TD this car at Vinayak Skoda sadashive Nagar outlet in Bangalore. That means these guys do not even know if there is something wrong with this car.

Advice taken sir I will do the TD but not with the same car and the same dealer again. I will try it with another dealer.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd November 2011 at 21:44. Reason: Back to back posts within 20mins. Please use Multi-Quote option when Quoting more than a post at a time. Thanks
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:12   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala.V View Post
Laura is a better car than Rapid in terms of Space, Power and Segment. I too own a Laura and I felt cramped in Rapid compared to Laura.

IMHO the red in Rapid is more Orangish in the screen. Is it the same colour in actual also? White definitely looks bold and mejestic. This is only my personal opinion Pl.
The thing is I'm taking the Rapid to replace my Honda City for city use, I will be keeping my Laura also. Don't know if it makes sense to keep two Skoda's in the garage.

I saw the red Rapid A/T on display at the showroom, I did not like the colour much as I reservation that Red should only be used on sports cars like the previous Skoda RS. But to answer your query, it is a proper red and not the orangish that appears to be on screen.
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:35   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
What is the gear box of old Zen & AStar AT, those are the ones that I have driven, I may be wrong if those are not called CVT gearbox, I thought they were. But what is the difference between the one on Rapid the those on these Maruties. I have never owned an AT but I did drive the old Zen AT for about 4 months back in the days and that was an absolutely excellent and convenient car to drive
The Maruti Zen had a 3-speed AT box. In fact, I hold Maruti single-handedly responsible for tarnishing the image of automatic cars by introducing silly 3-speed auto boxes in India. It looks Honda City and Santro City nearly a decade to repair that damage. The 3-speed might give you better response, but it is no good for highway driving. The Vento/Rapid AT has 6-speed AT. The CVT (as in Kizashi) is continuously variable transmission, sort of infinite step transmission. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

Quote:
and the one on Rapid which I drove for about 5kms was nothing like that. I have also driven City AT (paddle shift) for about 1500kms and on that car I could barely notice the gears change and that was a fast affair how the car changed seamlessly in any condition.

It is a possibility that the particular car I drove had problems, hence the excessive engine noise, it was very unusual actually.
Even I feel that may be the case, I already mentioned it in my first response to you.

Quote:
Shockingly the sales guy next to me was literally agreeing with all my views as though that is how this car is, with an expression why are you even TD it!
The bad rep for AT has been institutionalized in India. I have owned AT cars almost continuously since 18 years, including last 8 years in India. People who are unfamiliar with AT feel it is safe to trash the AT than praise it. So, I wouldn't care about what the sales guy thinks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Samuri Sir my apologies if you have thought that I have undermined your official review, how dare can I do that to such a detailed, focused and sharp review done by you and Vid.
That comment was not pointed at you. I was merely expressing my relief that our AT review was validated by long time Vento AT owners. I have conveyed the same to the first Rapid TDI owner here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2587072

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd November 2011 at 21:39.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 14:35   #215
BHPian

I booked the skoda rapid TDI, ambition variant today at gurudev motors, mount round, chennai. The booking amount was 50,000 as well. Waiting period is 2-3 weeks, but the SE said he will confirm looking at the current lot and the coming batches. And they still dont have any confirmation about the availability of the alloy wheels as accessory. But the sales manager revealed that they will have reverse sensors available as accessory to be fitted by the dealer.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:19   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
I booked the skoda rapid TDI, ambition variant today at gurudev motors, mount round, chennai. The booking amount was 50,000 as well. Waiting period is 2-3 weeks, but the SE said he will confirm looking at the current lot and the coming batches. And they still dont have any confirmation about the availability of the alloy wheels as accessory. But the sales manager revealed that they will have reverse sensors available as accessory to be fitted by the dealer.
Congrats Thiru. What color have you opted for ?
Old 24th November 2011, 15:39   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats for the new car Rapid.
By any chance, have you worked with Galatta.com?
Old 24th November 2011, 15:40   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish View Post
Congrats Thiru. What color have you opted for ?
Thanks krish, I have opted for the cappuccino beige. I liked the red, beige and white. i used a red/orange vista and white santro before, so opted for beige for a difference, also i feel beige looks good on the bigger cars IMHO. Based on your conversation with gurudev, how about the availability of beige?

So you are sticking with red? It looks very good, i saw one red yeti in the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats for the new car Rapid.
By any chance, have you worked with Galatta.com?
Thanks karthik. To answer your question - i have never had any association with galatta.com

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th November 2011 at 15:43. Reason: merging posts
Old 24th November 2011, 15:48   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks karthik. To answer your question - i have never had any association with galatta.com
I had a friend in the same name.
cappuccino beige is the nice color and i have booked the same color in Laura L&K, But unfortunately cancelled and bought Linea for half the price
Old 24th November 2011, 16:33   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
I doubt if you get these discounts for the Diesel Model. My sales rep was hell bent on convincing my dad to buy the petrol. I had to literally call up the rep to shut up and just sell me what I want. I went for the Diesel Mid End.
Yes, the petrol models do not sell much these days. I wanted only petrol because I do not use the car much. So, I tried to get the best I could. I think there was some stuff for the diesel models also, but not as much as the petrol.

Vivek
Old 24th November 2011, 19:19   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Thiru. I have also booked the same one but in Black. Do you know how much the reverse sensors cost? Any news about extended warranty?
Old 24th November 2011, 23:39   #222
BHPian

Here are the on road prices for Bangalore. A 1.44 lakh difference between top end petrol and diesel models and 1.50 lakh difference between the two diesel models.

Elegance TDI- 11,19,743
Elegance MPI- 9,74,976
Active MPI- 8,22,343
Active TDI- 9,70,130
Ambition MPI- 8,63,366

Last edited by flyingkolors : 24th November 2011 at 23:49.
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 00:08   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Here are the on road prices for Bangalore. A 1.44 lakh difference between top end petrol and diesel models and 1.50 lakh difference between the two diesel models.

Elegance TDI- 11,19,743
Elegance MPI- 9,74,976
Active MPI- 8,22,343
Active TDI- 9,70,130
Ambition MPI- 8,63,366
For reference, the VW Vento Highline diesel costs a whooping 12.03L on road. Which means ex-showroom price difference of 60K equates to a 84K difference on-road. My money is on the Rapid if I were looking for a diesel sedan.

84K more and all you get is parking sensors, USB and steering mounted controls.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th November 2011 at 00:10.
Old 25th November 2011, 06:58   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors

Elegance TDI- 11,19,743
Elegance MPI- 9,74,976
Active MPI- 8,22,343
Active TDI- 9,70,130
Ambition MPI- 8,63,366
What about Ambition TDI? Somehow that makes more sense to me from price point of view.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:35   #225
BHPian

While taking TD, i was talking to SE and asked him about service intervals and service cost. He replied that service interval is 15k kms and cost will be around 7k. As I felt the cost of service a bit high, he explained that Skoda uses only synthetic oils.

Is synthetic oil need to replace every 15k kms? I heard the drain period for synthetic oil is much more than mineral oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks