Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 10:03   #286
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
What does this mean? Can auto-lock be enabled via some tuning to the settings or through some kind of equipment upgrade?
Through software settings one can get auto lock to be enabled when speed crossed 10 kmph - but for some odd reasons many cars with this feature come with it disabled and one needs to get the dealer to activiate it.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 14:48   #287
BHPian

Any idea whether the armrest in the RAPID can be purchased and installed in my FABIA? Since both the cars sport the same design, I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:01   #288
BHPian

Yep, it's never been advertised that way. It was always left to be assumed for the fact that the Polo 1.6 steals genes from the Vento. The Fabia 16v steals genes from the Polo 1.6 and then the Rapid steals genes from the Fabia 16v.

It's a vicious circle. But, neverthless, even if ONE of them takes off well, it's hope that the gene will sustain.

But, yes, this side-to-side comparison does bring in the attention of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Hey hey hey...

I am not sure if anyone has pointed out this before. I was just going through the specs of Fabia 1.6 and thought lets compare those with Rapid 1.6 petrol MT and what do I see...

You can see that the Rapid petrol MT is technically exactly same as the Fabia 1.6. Same to the last decimal place. Even the wheels are same. Fabia 1.6 never took off, so it was a great plan to reuse the material from it for the Rapid. IMO, Skoda have done a smart job of reusing the stuff they had. I did not find a mention of this even in the official review here. Sorry, I ain't nitpicking, this is just FYI for all.
Old 15th December 2011, 18:14   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
What does this mean? Can auto-lock be enabled via some tuning to the settings or through some kind of equipment upgrade?
Well, my Rapid TDI auto-locks once you touch 15kmph. I think this is default now as the test-drive car also auto-locked when I drove it for the first time when the Rapid launched (not sure whether its programmed this way from the factory, or if this is done during PDI)
Old 15th December 2011, 18:21   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Well, my Rapid TDI auto-locks once you touch 15kmph. I think this is default now as the test-drive car also auto-locked when I drove it for the first time when the Rapid launched (not sure whether its programmed this way from the factory, or if this is done during PDI)

Its a speed lock function. Once the car reaches 16kph (10mph) the doors auto lock. An added safety feature per say. This is OEM and not PDI. Though this feature can be activated via VCDS.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 22:05   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Its a speed lock function. Once the car reaches 16kph (10mph) the doors auto lock. An added safety feature per say. This is OEM and not PDI. Though this feature can be activated via VCDS.

Are there any other functions like these that are usually hidden, but can be unlocked at the dealership level? Is there a specific reason why the manufacturer doesn't just enable these functions from the factory itself?
Old 15th December 2011, 22:54   #292
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few, but mostly not applicable to indian models. These features are supposed to be activated by the dealers during the PDI before delivery to the customer (similar to activating the music system), but only god knows what stops these idiots from activating these during the PDI before delivering to the customers.

VW is no different in this case. I came to know about the presence of these through this forum, imagine about an normal customer. These are not mentioned anywhere in the ownership manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
Are there any other functions like these that are usually hidden, but can be unlocked at the dealership level? Is there a specific reason why the manufacturer doesn't just enable these functions from the factory itself?
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 10:31   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
Please check this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html) Since the Rapid is almost the same car as the Vento, it's a fair bit at least some of hose features will be shared.

Someone from the industry told me that features that need to be activated are of two types: those activated at factory and those at dealership. He also said that in VW's case, some dealers have been known to screw up and NOT activate features that should have been (e.g. a lot of Vento owners were unaware of the speed lock till I pointed it out on another thread). Typical features that have been omitted for activation by dealer include the speed lock and the lock/unlock beeps.

Edit: The dealer will however activate these features for free if you bring it in.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 11:23   #294
Senior - BHPian

^ That is one reason why these features are not activated. The other reason is, there needs to be some differentiation between the various models (trim levels) available, right?

For example, in the Laura Ambiente, the auto speed lock function is present, albiet de-activated. Where as the same feature is available in the Elegence and L&K version. This is just an example.

For more features, check the thread noop suggested. Else, also check Akki_5's Laura thread.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 13:47   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
There are quite a few, but mostly not applicable to indian models. These features are supposed to be activated by the dealers during the PDI before delivery to the customer (similar to activating the music system), but only god knows what stops these idiots from activating these during the PDI before delivering to the customers.

VW is no different in this case. I came to know about the presence of these through this forum, imagine about an normal customer. These are not mentioned anywhere in the ownership manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Please check this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html) Since the Rapid is almost the same car as the Vento, it's a fair bit at least some of hose features will be shared.

Someone from the industry told me that features that need to be activated are of two types: those activated at factory and those at dealership. He also said that in VW's case, some dealers have been known to screw up and NOT activate features that should have been (e.g. a lot of Vento owners were unaware of the speed lock till I pointed it out on another thread). Typical features that have been omitted for activation by dealer include the speed lock and the lock/unlock beeps.

Edit: The dealer will however activate these features for free if you bring it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^ That is one reason why these features are not activated. The other reason is, there needs to be some differentiation between the various models (trim levels) available, right?

For example, in the Laura Ambiente, the auto speed lock function is present, albiet de-activated. Where as the same feature is available in the Elegence and L&K version. This is just an example.

For more features, check the thread noop suggested. Else, also check Akki_5's Laura thread.
Thank you Bala, noopster, swanand. The thread you referred me to was highly educational. First time I am hearing of most of the features. I still don't get why some of these features are either not activated or not mentioned in the user manual.
w0lf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 20:15   #296
BHPian

I am glad there are features that can be enabled, more like surprise gifts. Surprised to have then and surprised that it was not enabled by the dealer . Of course most of us would have preferred all features were enabled at the factory itself. Thanks to all the team-bhpians for sharing their discoveries!!!
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:14   #297
BHPian

Guys, what is recommended during the run-in period? In terms of speed, rpm and the driving nature. Can i still rev faster till the max run-in rpm or should it be a linear increase towards it.

Also, How long is the run-in period?

Last edited by Th!ru : 22nd December 2011 at 14:14. Reason: correction
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:19   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Guys, what is recommended during the run-in period? In terms of speed, rpm and the driving nature. Can i still rev faster till the max run-in rpm or should it be a linear increase towards it.

Also, How long is the run-in period?
VW/Skoda recommend you take it a little easy for 1000miles (1600kms), and recommend that you don't go over 2/3rd of the engine power during the initial running-in period.

I'm following a slightly tweaked version of this. More details in my post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2618356

Hope that helps.
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:11   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Other Points
:
• If you turn down the audio volume to zero and switch off the car, when you turn it back on, the volume goes to a default value (and not the zero where you left it).
How is the sound output of the music system? May be you could give a comparison of Rapid's audio system against that of Vento, Fabia.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:02   #300
BHPian

Haven't seen a single car here in streets on Mumbai or Pune. It's pretty strange as I heard the car had a good response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks