Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 18:50   #331
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Skoda dealers have a monopoly (atleast in chennai), whereas even VW which is a recent entrant have 2 seperate dealership's in the city. God only knows why skoda prefers to operate this way and I hate it when I dont have a choice.
Actually this is whole matter of concern, as only Single owner operates all the Skoda dealerships of whole Punjab state & but why it has to be held solely responsible for suspected Skoda's AfSS, as even Honda & Ford operates in the same way as Skoda, but they're really good. Infact customers feels at home at same dealership even in different cities.

But Its good that VW has avoided such trend & followed 'exclusive dealer for every city' pattern.

Quote:
but then our decisions are not really based on what the head says -right? Ask me, I too bought a VW recently
Right bala..
The last line alone intended me to press the 'Thanks' tab after reading your post.
Actually our hunt for Sedan began with Vento TDi Trendline, but lack of ABS & fog lamps are the deal breaker against Rapid mid-Ambition variant, which is a sort of Semi-top end variant.
Service costs per 15k kms for Vento TDi is 7-8k & for Skoda Rapid TDi is ~8k as per their respective dealers.
Driven German & Italian sedans many times, so considering Korean doesn't makes much sense for me now.

So, now what did you say amongst 'Vento TDi TL' vs 'Skoda Rapid TDi Ambition'.
Your comments are most welcomed.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:13   #332
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your nice gesture. If the choice has to be between these two - without an iota of doubt it is the skoda rapid TDI ambition. Though Ideally I would like to have both ABS and Airbags, rapid ambition has ABS which seals the deal over the vento TL. You can add alloys and music system of your choice as and when you wish to do so. ACC and electric ORVM control is nice to have feature, but is not really a absolute necessity.

I really see no value in going for vento TL given its sparse equipment list. I would even go to the extent of recommending you to stick with the swift instead. All the very best and do let us know what you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
So, now what did you say amongst 'Vento TDi TL' vs 'Skoda Rapid TDi Ambition'.
Your comments are most welcomed.
Old 31st December 2011, 00:25   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Though Ideally I would like to have both ABS and Airbags, rapid ambition has ABS which seals the deal over the vento TL. You can add alloys and music system of your choice as and when you wish to do so. ACC and electric ORVM control is nice to have feature, but is not really a absolute necessity.
You're very right, bala.
Instead I forgot to mention that Rapid Ambition comes with ABS & Driver's side Airbag as standard & IMHO, for a lac of rupees difference, Passenger Airbag can be given a miss, Isn't it !
What remains left is the ICE & Alloys for it. Though I love the flush fitting stock Skoda/VW music system, even planning to fit a VW OEM Music system(Polo/Vento's) as Rapid top-end variant's ICE isn't available in accessories yet.
Regarding Alloys, Right now or even for another year I can manage Skoda Rapid with stock Wheel covers.
About only which I'm concerned much is Skoda's expensive Service image.
Even thinking further deeply, atleast for 4 years this won't be a problem as I always Insist for 2+2 extended warranty.
Even then I wanted the true impression from Skoda/VW users before finalising the purchase.

Quote:
I would even go to the extent of recommending you to stick with the swift instead. All the very best and do let us know what you decide.
Still ! Do you insist that.
As, I don't think a German car(VW or Skoda here) user can ever recommend a Maruti Suzuki considering how lighter it is in build against VW or Skoda.
I'm vying from it due to latter & its so familiar looks.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:25   #334
Team-BHP Support

A video of the unofficial expert review drive conducted by Skoda:
Old 31st December 2011, 10:37   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
A video of the unofficial expert review drive conducted by Skoda:
SKODA Rapid Unofficial Experts Drive - YouTube
Only the last guy in the Video said something negative and I guess it's true too. The car seems a bit too cramped for chubby people.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:01   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About only which I'm concerned much is Skoda's expensive Service image.
Even thinking further deeply, atleast for 4 years this won't be a problem as I always Insist for 2+2 extended warranty.
Even then I wanted the true impression from Skoda/VW users before finalising the purchase.
Budget about 10-15k for the first 3 years and 20K annually after that for service and spares costs for an entry level German car. Swift should be about half of that.

Quote:
As, I don't think a German car(VW or Skoda here) user can ever recommend a Maruti Suzuki considering how lighter it is in build against VW or Skoda.
You're mistaken. I own one of each and would be happy to reccomend either to anyone . Depends on what your requirements are, to be honest. In terms of sheer VFM, I would recco the Rapid/Vento over the Swift any day of the week.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:26   #337
mxx
BHPian

@CRtorquefan: All the vento owners have given comments which will help you take a decision. But I want to add one thing. If you love to drive, the vento/rapid diesel are 2 cars under 10lkhs that will always put a smile on your face.

Quote:
As far as the maintanence goes, being a european, it will definitely be on the higher side compared to other c-segment players and will be on par with VW (Approx 15k for a service every 15k kms).
But, according to this post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2505992) the owner got a service bill of Rs7100 for his vento ( vento service intervals are at 15000 kms or 1yr right?). I doubt it will be any different for rapid. Now this is not expensive at all, considering yearly service for i10 costs 10k+ (2 services).

Last edited by mxx : 31st December 2011 at 11:40.
Old 31st December 2011, 15:07   #338
Senior - BHPian

I totally forgot the driver airbag, makes the deal all the more sweeter than, no second thoughts, go for the rapid ambition.

On the ICE front - the OEM system from the vento is not really upto the mark, and if you are still keen on the finish, then do check out the caska's, witson's and motevo's on the forum. I'm on the process of upgrading my OEM vento's HU, you can check the car accessory shops for second hand deals on these. Buyback of these systems are very cheap and hence the chances are you will get it for less than 5k in the market.

And my comment below was if you are going to pick up only the vento TL since it doest have the safety kit compared to swift ZDI/rapid ambition.

Quote:

Still ! Do you insist that.
I'm vying from it due to latter & its so familiar looks.
Agree with you, the charges are definitely reasonable in this case. I have also read reports of around 10k charges from the other owners who had completed their first service. My estimate was a little bit on the higher side (something that I'm telling myself so that I will be pleased if the bill is lower than this figure). 10k would be a safe estimate I presume.

Just to let you know one single alloy from VW cost you 20k, the same for the rapid is around 7-8k I heard. Skoda specific parts in rapid may still be cheaper than the corresponding VW spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post

But, according to this post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2505992) the owner got a service bill of Rs7100 for his vento ( vento service intervals are at 15000 kms or 1yr right?). I doubt it will be any different for rapid. Now this is not expensive at all, considering yearly service for i10 costs 10k+ (2 services).

Last edited by bala80 : 31st December 2011 at 15:14.
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:03   #339

Hey Guys,

I am a new member of the Team BHP Community and this is my first post. I am posting for the first time, so might not be completely aware of the rules here. In case there is anything that you fin not good, please write to me.

I recently bought the Skoda Rapid 1.6TDI Elegance (top end model ) from Nawab Motors Noida. You guys were right about A.S.S but forget that the whole experince of buying one was painful. But I am very happy with the car. Will post detailed review and photos in my next post
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:25   #340
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sachin, welcome to TBHP & many Congratulations on driving home the Skoda Rapid 1.6TDI Elegance. Please take your own time to go through the rules of TBHP. This is one such forum where adherence to the rules is quite critical & could make or mar your experience on the forum, but it is all the worth.

Also share your experience on buying the car, downpayment, waiting period etc. Start your ownership thread & share loads of pictures.

Wishing you a very happy ownership with your new car

Last edited by AutoIndian : 3rd January 2012 at 09:26.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:25   #341
BHPian

Can fellow owners confirm if you can open the bonnet with the front right door closed? For some reason I am not able to. I am not sure if something has gone wrong after my ice install.

@Kryptonite also seems to have the same issue. Can VW/Skoda make this blunder or is is some safety precaution? I hate it because in most places in chennai, you have to open the bonnet during a security check.
Old 6th January 2012, 18:46   #342
BHPian

These alloys look so much better than the current stock alloys. Any idea if the 2012 production units will have an option of this alloy design?
ajitmoses is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 12:50   #343
Senior - BHPian

@ajitmoses - I checked this today in my vento and the bonnet cannot be opened with the doors closed. I think it is by design, where the doorpad hinders the free movement of bonnet release lever.

I dont really know if it is a safety measure or not, but its again similar to the front wipers which can be pulled up only in the service position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
Can fellow owners confirm if you can open the bonnet with the front right door closed? For some reason I am not able to. I am not sure if something has gone wrong after my ice install.

@Kryptonite also seems to have the same issue. Can VW/Skoda make this blunder or is is some safety precaution? I hate it because in most places in chennai, you have to open the bonnet during a security check.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:25   #344
BHPian

The following brands are have 185 / 60 R15 tyres (Bangalore Rates mentioned):

Michelin XM1 - Rs.5125 per trye
Bridgestone - ER 300 - Rs 4880 per tyre
- B 250 - 4600 per tyre
Apollo Accelere - 4200 per tyre

Hope this helps !
Old 9th January 2012, 15:24   #345
BHPian

Does anyone know if Skoda dealers (esp. Trivandrum - I think Marikkar) will do an exchange on my 2006 Swift VXI/ABS? Thinking of trading it in for the Rapid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks