Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 12:56   #511
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Most of the discussions, following this fantastic review, seems to be centred around comparing Rapid to Vento. Not entirely out of place, since the differences between the two cars are apparently only skin-deep. Having not seen a review of Linea diesel here (blame my poor searching skills!), I would really love to see an opinion of how the Rapid would fare against the Linea diesel. The Linea being heavier with just a 1.3L engine should lag behind in performance when compared to the Rapid? Which one is a better driver's car?
Old 1st April 2012, 18:18   #512
BHPian

When I was doing researches for my upgrade from a hatchback to a sedan this was the thread I ended up finally. After spending hours and hours in front of the internet and having TD of various opponents of Rapid finally I too concluded that Rapid is the best bet left to me. Although there was a close tie between Vento and Rapid I somehow didn't like the full beige design of Vento and also its front view which is very identical to Polo didn't impress me. Well, after counting down for a month now I am going to get her on 09th of April, Monday! Will upload snaps and share my personal experience once I have her
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:46   #513

@Motorworks, I own a Rapid Elegance MPI (you heard it right, a petrol!) in Bangalore. I do agree the air conditioning is not class leading in the Rapid, but guess one needs to appreciate the difference between the way the climatronic works as compared to an a/c. I invested in 3M sun films,including the CR70 on wind shield & the result was significantly better.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:21   #514
BHPian

Rapid elegance owners, can anyone share whether rapid has anti-theft bolts for alloy or not. As per instruction manual car suppose to have that in boot. But I can't see anything there. even my dealer, there is no anti-theft bolt for Rapid.
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:28   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
I felt the same way when I test drove in both Vento & Rapid. However, I thought since it was a short 10-15 mins drive. Do you feel the same way on longish drives as well ? As a Indica owner, I know my car cools only after a driving for a while. Initially, it cannot match a swift/santro. Is it so with the Rapid/Vento ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
The very first page of this thread holds some clue. The following comment can be seen there:

"The AC vents seem to have a very narrow throw of air. If you turn the vent to the left, only the left of the vent has airflow (in most other cars, the entire vent throws out air but towards the left). Similarly, if you point the vent straight, only the centre has a stream of air (with the left and right louvres devoid of air). As a result, air flow is in a narrow stream & Vid6639 found it quite difficult to adjust the vents. This is not an issue with the Rapid only; Vid6639 noticed it in the Vento as well. He thought the Vento's vents were not working initially."

Though it does not talk about the pace of cabin cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
If I were to compare my old car's cooling (zen) with respect to my Vento, there is a big difference (my old car cabin cooled down much faster).

The Vento's (and Rapid's) AC vents have a narrow throw and quite inflexible in directing air to where you want; add to that a big cabin and a big windshield. Also, design-wise, the position of the vents is quite high as compared to the seating position. One cannot direct the air on the torso, only on the face!

It might help if you switch on air re-circulation, direct the air flow directly on yourself and switch off the vents that are not being used. It suffices me most of the times, except in extreme heat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Nope, even I find the Rapid's cooling not sufficient, infact if I park it in the sun it takes a even longer time for just cool air to start blowing in, I would suggest get good tints even for the front wind-screen.

I think hiss sound is there for even my car.

Thanks for your feedback, I agree with most of your points, the vents are quite narrow and it takes time to cool the cabin. H.ever, I feel this is an issue only at 35+ temperatures and if the car has been parked in the open for quite some time. On normal days when I park my car in a covered area, it cools up pretty quickly. I'm not sure about the rear blowers though, if they make a real difference. On the whole, this has made my experience with the car a little dissatisfying, since this is not something I expected out of VW/Skoda.

Last edited by motorworks : 2nd April 2012 at 14:29.
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:38   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsmoke View Post
All my friends who have bought the rapid are cribbing about it. There seems to be more worries than happiness. Wonder if a little driving pleasure is worth all the trouble.

I think its a little too early to pass a verdict. I have had it for a month now and I think it is a quite a good car for the money that I paid. Driving dynamics, Engine performance are very strong points which some of the other cars in this segment cannot match. There are some drawbacks such as the A.C performance & engine noise which to a certain extent are annoying. But nevertheless, I'm a lot more happy than worried.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:41   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Also, I'd like to know if vibrations from the clutch pedal is normal on new cars? Am guessing not! I felt vibrations from the clutch pedal when it was fully depressed on any gear, i.e., I put my foot on the clutch pedal and I feel it vibrating while the car is in motion! Is this a serious problem? I am going back to the service centre on Monday but am planning a long drive tomorrow, what do you guys suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations on your new car. The vibrations on the clutch pedal are perfectly normal and is present on my vento too. Clutch will also be on the harder side, but you will get used to it with time. Nothing much to worry about, relax and enjoy your car.
As bala mentioned vibration through the clutch is normal. I remember mentioning this in the review as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:21   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
As bala mentioned vibration through the clutch is normal. I remember mentioning this in the review as well.
Thanks Bala & Vid, I have somewhat gotten used to the vibrations from the clutch pedal. Also, my wife mentioned that she felt mild vibrations coming from below her seat (co-passenger seat). Am really not sure what that could be?

2 days into the owning the car, am loving the drive but am kind of upset with the quality of finish overall for a 11 lac product, maybe it's just my car! On the interior, the instrument cluster panel's plastic has scratches (a lot of them) and a certain area on the bezel plastic that surrounds the music system seems to have been touched up with black paint! (attached pic) On the exterior, the rear bumper seems to have paint chipping off at one of the corners, exactly below where the tail lamps end (doesn't bother me as much as the damage on the inside but from a quality aspect, very bad Skoda!)

I did do a fairly thorough PDI (mostly external) but looks like I failed to notice the minor eyesores which are very prominent against the reflection of sunlight.

The car was handed over to me at 15kms, and everything else seems just fine. The VIN was decoded to a March manufactured vehicle and it's the same that was delivered too, so am really not sure what to make of it so far! This could be a factory thing?

The dealership though has been very courteous and nice throughout, the sales manager that I am interacting with has assured me that they will resolve all of my issues, so hopeful these 2 parts on the interior can be swapped out with new ones!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-image.jpeg  

Old 3rd April 2012, 01:12   #519
BHPian

I am waiting on my Rapid which is promised to be delivered on next Monday (09th April). To those currently own a Skoda, if anyone has successfully upgraded to a lighting kit with a cutout relay without affecting void of electrical warranty? I believe the company wouldn't do this upgrade. So, wondering if I will end up losing the warranty by getting it done outside.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:01   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
I am waiting on my Rapid which is promised to be delivered on next Monday (09th April). To those currently own a Skoda, if anyone has successfully upgraded to a lighting kit with a cutout relay without affecting void of electrical warranty? I believe the company wouldn't do this upgrade. So, wondering if I will end up losing the warranty by getting it done outside.
If I not mistaken Osram does have a lighting kit which won't need any wires to be cut, I don't know where in Bangalore you will get this but I found this out when I visited Prevelidge Moto Mall in Chennai.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:49   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prraghun View Post
@Motorworks, I own a Rapid Elegance MPI (you heard it right, a petrol!) in Bangalore. I do agree the air conditioning is not class leading in the Rapid, but guess one needs to appreciate the difference between the way the climatronic works as compared to an a/c. I invested in 3M sun films,including the CR70 on wind shield & the result was significantly better.
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. Great to know that you have a petrol and I'm sure that the petrol engine is a gem as well!
I own the Ambition variant and hence there is no climatronic!
H.ever, I have removed the plastic seat wrap, which I had kept on as the seats were in beige and I actually wanted to get new seat covers. But some how have not been able to arrive at a conclusion on leather vs art leather.
The cooling is a lot better now, after I removed these plastic wraps! and I'm yet to install sunfilms. BTW, how much did you pay for the sun films {if you dont mind}
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:58   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Most of the discussions, following this fantastic review, seems to be centred around comparing Rapid to Vento. Not entirely out of place, since the differences between the two cars are apparently only skin-deep. Having not seen a review of Linea diesel here (blame my poor searching skills!), I would really love to see an opinion of how the Rapid would fare against the Linea diesel. The Linea being heavier with just a 1.3L engine should lag behind in performance when compared to the Rapid? Which one is a better driver's car?
I did test drive the Linea not once, but twice before deciding on the Rapid. If you ask me honestly, I would say that the Linea is a much better car in terms of build quality. But there were 3 reasons why I chose the Rapid over the Linea:-
1) Engine--The 1.3 ddis with 90bhp is just too sluggish and the linea deserves something far better. Rapid's 105 bhp TDI is way quicker, more fun, but noisier as well. But once you start driving and with all windows rolled up, its not so bad.
2) Fiat's status in India--In spite of brilliant products, Fiat is a laggard in India and its numbers of 1000 to 1500 cars a month is not something that even the ferrari maker can sustain in the long run. I dont know where Tata's tie up is heading and I wouldnt be surprised if Fiat just walks away from India. No new launches apart from the 2 cars, no concrete plans, very bad re-sale values.
3) Turning radius--Making an U turn in a linea would be just too taxing! This was not a deal breaker, but also added to the above 2 in ensuring that I bought the Rapid over the Linea.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:49   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I did test drive the Linea not once, but twice before deciding on the Rapid. If you ask me honestly, I would say that the Linea is a much better car in terms of build quality. But there were 3 reasons why I chose the Rapid over the Linea:-
1) Engine--The 1.3 ddis with 90bhp is just too sluggish and the linea deserves something far better. Rapid's 105 bhp TDI is way quicker, more fun, but noisier as well. But once you start driving and with all windows rolled up, its not so bad.
2) Fiat's status in India--In spite of brilliant products, Fiat is a laggard in India and its numbers of 1000 to 1500 cars a month is not something that even the ferrari maker can sustain in the long run. I dont know where Tata's tie up is heading and I wouldnt be surprised if Fiat just walks away from India. No new launches apart from the 2 cars, no concrete plans, very bad re-sale values.
3) Turning radius--Making an U turn in a linea would be just too taxing! This was not a deal breaker, but also added to the above 2 in ensuring that I bought the Rapid over the Linea.
Thanks motorworks.. that puts it into perspective nicely. I have been eyeing the Linea diesel as the car to buy once I am back in India, but now am in serious second thoughts. The Vento is apparently too noisy, but this one (Rapid) seems to have addressed that area well. the only remaining concern is that Rapid is still a bit too plane jane when it comes to things on offer - on the other hand, Linea looks loaded with stuff.

And they all say, Linea's steering wheel is the best in the business. That, combined with the magic Fiat has done on its suspension, is too tempting!
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:54   #524
BHPian

Linea is a better choice any day. The spartan Rapid is not a value for money car at all. Also though many complain about service back up of Fiat I feel that it's far better than the arrogant and discourteous attitude of Skoda dealers. A caveat here - am speaking in the context of Kerala - am not sure how it is in the rest of India.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:06   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Thanks motorworks.. that puts it into perspective nicely. I have been eyeing the Linea diesel as the car to buy once I am back in India, but now am in serious second thoughts. The Vento is apparently too noisy, but this one (Rapid) seems to have addressed that area well. the only remaining concern is that Rapid is still a bit too plane jane when it comes to things on offer - on the other hand, Linea looks loaded with stuff.

And they all say, Linea's steering wheel is the best in the business. That, combined with the magic Fiat has done on its suspension, is too tempting!
You are right, The Linea is well loaded with features. The 2012 dynamic version has every feature that you need like blue & me,Alloy wheels, steering mounted controls etc. But the reality is that even the 2012 Linea was on discount within 45 days of Launch and that does mean that you will take a huge hit when you make a re-sale. But the the engine lacks the punch. I was used to driving the DDIS in the form of a dzire and I absolutely loved the engine, but it was also because of the slick suzuki gear box and the light weight nature of the car itself. In the Linea the DDIS feels strained. And with a possible proper facelift due in 2013, I would not bet my money on the current Linea. I would suggest that you come down test drive a few cars including the Linea, Rapid and even the Verna { if you dont bother so much about drving dynamics} and then decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks