Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:30   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If by chance you did come towards Vashi then I could use Megs SwirlX rubbing compound on your car which I have with me.
Hi, how good is this compound. I have some minor scatches on my Scorpio (mainly the doing of kids). BTW I am in Kharghar
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:49   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinteLoop View Post
I have already paid the dealer Vinayak Skoda around 33K for the insurance(I doubt this is with zero depreciation). I checked Bajaj Allianz and they have quoted 28K for zero depreciation with higher IDV. with Can anyone suggest how I can now move to a another insurer and most importantly get the remaining amount refunded from the current insurance.
I too doubt you have the zero dep if they have not explicitly mentioned to you. I paid 38K+ for the Diesel Elegance with Tafe and the insurance didn't have zero depreciation added. If you come to know how to move to a different insurer or to another plan with the current insurer directly and get the extra amount the dealer charged reimbursed please let me also know. I don't think there is a way for that though.

Quote:
Also, its been over a month and I still have not received the insurance papers.
The insurance should reach you in 3-4 weeks normally. Contact your dealer immediately as you went through them.

Quote:
I also heard that if you sell you old vehicle and do not have a NCB on it, the NCB can be transfered to the new vehicle. Does anyone know the process of going about doing this?
You should approach your old insurance company with the documents for selling your old car - Form 28, 29, 30, Delivery note and copy of the RC Book ownership change page. They will send to your home address the NCB (No Claim Bonus) certificate. You should then go to the new insurance company (you can go to the dealer as you got the insurance through them) with the NCB and any other docs they might ask and fill the application. I have done the first part. Still have to go and get the second part done.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:35   #588
BHPian

Is there a way to replace the stick antenna with a shark-fin one? Could a VW Jetta shark-fin be a replacement?
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:56   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Is there a way to replace the stick antenna with a shark-fin one? Could a VW Jetta shark-fin be a replacement?
I'd say yes but it wont be a plug and play type replacement. The current one will need to be taken out completely for sharkfin to be installed. There are youtube DIY videos on how to do that. sharkfin itself is also available on amazon etc.

Problem is, somebody will have to take chance and do it
Old 4th May 2012, 12:27   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
I too doubt you have the zero dep if they have not explicitly mentioned to you. I paid 38K+ for the Diesel Elegance with Tafe and the insurance didn't have zero depreciation added. If you come to know how to move to a different insurer or to another plan with the current insurer directly and get the extra amount the dealer charged reimbursed please let me also know. .
The Zero dep add on is called Drive Assure for an additional cost of Rs.8621/- for the Elegence Rapid. So total Zero dep would cost you approx 46500/-
I dont think there is any way to change it now that it has been issued. Better to get it done outside next year onwards.
Old 10th May 2012, 02:07   #591
BHPian

So, as I am just a few more kilometers away from crossing 3K on the new Rapid Diesel thought I would share a few feedbacks about the car. Whilst some of these points are shared already by other users I am listing all my findings that comes to mind.

1. The real performance of the car starts from about 100 Kmph on fifth gear. There's an exciting sound from the engine at this point and the car just starts accelerating like a cheetah. From 100 you reach 120 in no time and you can feel the vehicle still moving forward impatiently. I could test only upto 145 as I had my friend and both our families including kids inside the car. The comfort level inside the car was never affected even at this speed.

2. The brakes work just perfect. Even with the hard shoes (apollo) it was always responding well. Never felt the ABS working yet though probably because of the new tires and heavy body (which is a good thing). In my old Swift I could engage it intentionally by driving tires at one side into water on the basement floor of my apartment. It used to work at low speeds also. May be the Swift being lighter tended to skid fast.

3. Rapid's steering wheel was something I loved at the very first sight. Although there's no controls mounted on it I like the 4-spoke Steering. It definitely is lighter than Swift's steering. But, it seems to becoming harder with the speed. Not sure if it is a feature as in Swift or I am feeling so. Anyways, unlike in Santro etc I am able to keep the car well within control at all speeds with the lighter steering wheel (Santro owners pardon me)

4. I am still getting used to the rear shock absorbers. When there's no one in the back seats it makes a huge thud sound while going over sharp humps. But, it can be avoided by lowering the speed a little more than you expect it should be. For smaller (scientific) speed breakers and uneven roads it just works perfect and you can even run over them without reducing the speed significantly.

5. Although I initially felt the old Skoda horns missing in Rapid I started liking the new ones quickly. It definitely is not that bad as the mono ones coming with many other cars.

6. About the fuel efficiency, it is pretty economic in long drives. Before crossing 1K kilometers I was able to get 21.3 kmpl once while keeping the speed between 60-80 and without too much of braking. In the very recent drive to Kerala it was 17.3 where I was mostly driving between 110-140 kmph. However, the fuel efficiency drastically goes down within the city limits. In my daily drive to the office the car gives me only 8-10 kmpl. With my petrol Swift it was 13.x and 9-10.x respectively at highways and city. Not sure why Rapid is showing a huge difference in kmpl from city to highway. May be the heavy body counts for that.

7. I read someone saying the AC doesn't cool fast. But, my experience is the reverse. I found it cooling real fast mostly. The climate control simply rocks during long journeys. The fan speed increases or decreases gracefully which I liked very much.

8. I can't say the windscreen is small, but at the angle it is installed it gives a comparatively narrower view. I find very less space to plug my GPS navigator on it without hindering the view. Having said that, I do not face any problem with visibility unless the windscreen holder for the GPS is fitted.

9. Although the upper side of the dashboard is dark I get some reflection on the windscreen. My polaroids just do the magic here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2758198

10. I had raised a concern earlier in this thread about the right viper blade not able to be lifted for windscreen cleaning. And, I got the answer after switching off the Ignition press the wiper stalk down once. Both the wiper blades will come to the service position where you can lift them easily without hitting the bonnet lid. After cleaning when you switch on ignition press the wiper stalk down once again and the wipers will be back to the idle position.

11. After switching the ORVM inside the cabin to the night mode you will have to adjust it again for appropriate view and vice versa. Not sure if it has something to do with my sitting posture. It used to work perfect in the Swift.

12. The black fiber part between the front and rear windows gets scratched very fast. The car cleaner guy at my apartment was able to make some minor scratches (can be viewed at a close look) during his cleaning efforts. I have asked him to stop his service at immediate effect anyways. But, yes - be careful about that.

13. The default speakers from Skoda that come with Elegance are good for nothing. It creates the bass well but no treble and mid ranges. After swapping out all 4 door speakers with component speakers from JBL infinity when I played the same tracks a lot of new instruments became audible! I am very happy with the performance of my new speakers. I bought the speakers from Automate car accessories shop at Kochi but got it fixed at the St.Antony's Skoda Service station as I was afraid I would lose the electric warranty by getting it fixed at the accessory shop.
rajni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 07:53   #592
BHPian

One more important thing that I missed.

14. When reversing the car to an inclined area at certain angle or some times when the car is running out of an inclined plane the tail seems to hitting the ground. This happened a few times to me and it happens at the point when the rear wheels are off the inclined are and the tail is still to come. the front bumpers never hits the ground while going over speed humps etc, or in other words the GC is good. May be the tail is a bit long. I checked it with a few of my friends who have been driving sedans (Honda city new and old, Aveo etc) but none seemed to have experienced this problem more than once or twice in years. But, I face it every now and then when I park in the inclined areas for parking near restaurants etc. One example, is the parking for KFC and Tacobell at Sonyworld junction at Koramangala 4th block. The tail hits often as I drive off the parking yard to the road. I try to drive diagonallt to avoid this and works sometimes :(
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 01:24   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimodi View Post
Had my 1st brush with the infamous Mumbai autowallah today! Ive done 1510 km & this happened in front of shoppers stop, Andheri. Chap cut lanes too close to my rapid. Any suggestions from other Rapid owners through similar fates ? What was done? Fixed at company workshop or outside? Cost?

Feel sorry for you. My Rapid also met a similar fate and unfortunately the damage to the fender was much more pronounced.

Did you get this repaired? If yes, how much did it cost you and what was the estimate from the workshop?
Old 11th May 2012, 12:46   #594
Senior - BHPian

Just completed some 690 kms on my Skoda Rapid TDI ambition. It’s been 21 days since she came home. I have the following observations so far:
1. I’m not sure if the Auto door closing at 10 kms was enabled at the time of delivery. I noticed it was working when I got my Audio system fitted. Maybe he tweaked some wires which got it working. But its a very useful feature
2. White is not the easiest color to maintain. I used to feel the compulsive need to clean it every day, but have since given up. For me its once in 2-3 days now.
3. The torque is super. I came from a petrol NHC and can feel the difference in torque at start stop situations in traffic. No need to pedal the accelerator at all. Just gently leaving the clutch makes it surge ahead like a chained beast. Pickup is good too, although I still need to test it on the highway. Loved the Gear indicator on the MID.
4. The boot switch on the driver side door is very flimsy. My audio installer managed to pull it out and it’s not staying in since. I will get some fevikwik to fix it back to the door.
5. Braking quality is awesome. Always confidence inspiring and precise
6. I filled in air today for the 2nd time since I got the car and guess what: Front R:L was 49 and 42 respectively.. Rear was 40 each. Brought it down to 32 for the front and 30 for the rear. Will observe and change as required. It used to absorb most bumps with ease. Sharp bumps would get passed on to the cabin. My B-I-L felt the Rapid was smoother and absorbed bumps better than his 1 month old Laura.
7. Mileage measured for the first time (Since my MID does not provide mileage). Tank to tank gave me some 14.5 to 15kmpl on regular diesel with primary city driving. Im sure this will go up as I complete more kms.
8.The steering wheel was slightly turned towards the right when I got the car. Hence while driving, with a straight steering, car moves towards the left. Since the service station is about 20 kms from my house, will get this rectified locally.
9. Am observing some diesel clatter when starting the car and when it is idling. It evens out when the engine is warmed up, but the diesel noise is evident. I have not been in a Vento, so cannot compare..
10. Gears are a bit notchy. Reverse gear takes some effort to be slotted back to neutral. I guess with time this should become ok too.
11. Got reverse sensors and audio installed aftermarket. (Infinity comps for front, infinity coaxials for the rear and pioneer 2490 HU. I'm happy with the sound quality. Sunfilm will be removed this weekend.

Overall experience with the car has been great so far. Will recommend it.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 19:16   #595
BHPian

Skoda Rapid TDi Ambition - 10 days since delivery [ Chennai ] - 1200 KMS on ODO :

1) I bought this car after reading the reviews on Team BHP . It is exactly how T BHP has reviewed it !

2) Mileage in City = 16 KMPL !

3) Installed an Front Wind Shield Film [ The reflection of the dashboard is 'very' noticeable now ]

4) Installed a Sony XAV 622 Display - With Polk CrossOvers! [ Audio is Pristine ]

5) The alloy wheels were a bit hard to find .. WOnder why Dealers had very little stocks on 5 Holes . 100 PCD . But finally found it !

6) Somehow i feel it is not as Zippy as my Figo Diesel . But The Torque is just awsome !

7) Build Quality is too good !

PROBLEM :: A Harsh vibration is felt on the clutch always . And is increased when you accelerate ! Gurudev Motors say Its a deterrent for Clutched Driving . hmm.

Overall . I am very much satisfied with the purchase !! At 10.2 Lakhs [ On -Road ] Its Worth it !
icyspikey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 19:57   #596
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your observations. Everything is spot on.

Steering - yes, they do tighten up at speeds, since the electric assist cuts off at speeds over 60 kmph. It weighs up pretty nicely.

Rear shocks - Its by design and just the way the suspension is set up. The noise is when the shocks expand fully and reach the limit. Its present on the vento too and isnt limited only to the rear suspension.

Fuel Efficiency - Your city mileage seems to be a tad less, even if you drive in worse B2B traffic, please do check.

Windscreen - High set dashboard is also to blame.

ORVM - Again, by design, quite stupid if you ask me. Its such a simple thing that the germans couldnt get right? Its the same way in vento too.

Quote:

But, it seems to becoming harder with the speed. Not sure if it is a feature as in Swift or I am feeling so.

4. I am still getting used to the rear shock absorbers. When there's no one in the back seats it makes a huge thud sound while going over sharp humps. But, it can be avoided by lowering the speed a little more than you expect it should be. For smaller (scientific) speed breakers and uneven roads it just works perfect and you can even run over them without reducing the speed significantly.

6. About the fuel efficiency, it is pretty economic in long drives.

8. I can't say the windscreen is small, but at the angle it is installed it gives a comparatively narrower view.

11. After switching the ORVM inside the cabin to the night mode you will have to adjust it again for appropriate view and vice versa. Not sure if it has something to do with my sitting posture. It used to work perfect in the Swift.
You sure it isnt the mudflap? Rear overhang is very reasonable and along with stiffly sprung suspension, I've never faced this problem in my vento.

Quote:
One more important thing that I missed.

14. When reversing the car to an inclined area at certain angle or some times when the car is running out of an inclined plane the tail seems to hitting the ground.
Auto door lock - VAS feature, can be enabled only in the ECU by the VAS machine. Cant be done elsewhere, so in all probabilities, yours was programmed from the factory.

Tyre pressure check - Dont forget to check the tyre pressure when they are cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
1. I’m not sure if the Auto door closing at 10 kms was enabled at the time of delivery. I noticed it was working when I got my Audio system fitted. Maybe he tweaked some wires which got it working. But its a very useful feature

6. I filled in air today for the 2nd time since I got the car and guess what: Front R:L was 49 and 42 respectively.. Rear was 40 each.
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 22:44   #597
BHPian

Quote:
This happened a few times to me and it happens at the point when the rear wheels are off the inclined are and the tail is still to come. the front bumpers never hits the ground while going over speed humps etc, or in other words the GC is good. May be the tail is a bit long.
This probably is the tow hook below the rear bumper that must be scratching. Check that. It is similar to that in the Vento, though I've never faced a problem like yours. And I've been to the same parking spot next to Taco Bell's.

Quote:
6. I filled in air today for the 2nd time since I got the car and guess what: Front R:L was 49 and 42 respectively.. Rear was 40 each. Brought it down to 32 for the front and 30 for the rear.
The car comes with those pressures right from the factory. I guess it is to compensate for long periods of standing at the dealer stockyard. 32 works fine for my Vento, which is supposedly a little heavier than the Rapid. So should be good for you too!

Quote:
9. Am observing some diesel clatter when starting the car and when it is idling. It evens out when the engine is warmed up, but the diesel noise is evident. I have not been in a Vento, so cannot compare..
Ditto in the Vento. The diesel clatter calms down after about 10-15 minutes of driving. At high speeds, the clatter gives way to a sweet sounding growl .

Quote:
10. Gears are a bit notchy. Reverse gear takes some effort to be slotted back to neutral. I guess with time this should become ok too
Initially, I was doing the mistake of pressing the gear again to bring it to neutral position. You just need to flick the gear down (with clutch pressed obviously ) so that it automatically moves into the neutral position. No additional force is required to change to neutral. Try it a few times and you will get the hang of it!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 14:00   #598
BHPian

Quote:
I think it comes as company-tuned lately. My car also gets locked at 20kph (not 10kph though). By the way, did you notice that the doors are always openable from inside even with the central lock engaged? I didn't find the auto-lock very useful as it doesn't make much difference.

Quote:
4. The boot switch on the driver side door is very flimsy. My audio installer managed to pull it out and it’s not staying in since. I will get some fevikwik to fix it back to the door.
To me, it appears to be conveniently fitted. I was perhaps lucky enough to have it intact even after getting the speakers swapped out.

Quote:
6. I filled in air today for the 2nd time since I got the car and guess what: Front R:L was 49 and 42 respectively.. Rear was 40 each. Brought it down to 32 for the front and 30 for the rear. Will observe and change as required. It used to absorb most bumps with ease. Sharp bumps would get passed on to the cabin. My B-I-L felt the Rapid was smoother and absorbed bumps better than his 1 month old Laura.
Shock absorption is awesome in Rapid as you have observed. Uneven roads due to damaged plastering etc and smaller speed breakers are all very well absorbed in by the shock absorbers and you can drive at reasonably high speed over them. I fill 30 on all 4 tires.

Quote:
Noise insulation in Rapid is excellent. Diesel clatter during idle state and especially when you apply clutch is still very much audible to the people inside the car. However, things vary as you speed up and at high speeds, say 90 above, it becomes an exciting growl as nileshsh said. As you further accelerate, to say 120kph above, it becomes so wild and it sounded to me like car chasing scenes in hollywood movies. I am sure you will start loving it during long drives. But, yes - it sounds a little odd during slow, stop and start drives in city traffic.

Quote:
10. Gears are a bit notchy. Reverse gear takes some effort to be slotted back to neutral. I guess with time this should become ok too.
I too complained about this at the very first week of purchasing the car. But, I am so used to it now and started loving it too.

Quote:
11. Got reverse sensors and audio installed aftermarket. (Infinity comps for front, infinity coaxials for the rear and pioneer 2490 HU. I'm happy with the sound quality. Sunfilm will be removed this weekend.
Overall experience with the car has been great so far. Will recommend it.
Mine is the TDI Elegance and comes with factory fitted stereo and 4 door speakers. But, because of the poor sound quality - I was missing most of the treble - I swapped it out with Infinity comps in Front and back. I actually went for swapping only the front speakers. But, when I experienced the difference in performance after swapping out front speakers I couldn't stop myself from rushing to the accessory shop for another set of comps. Where did you get the reverse sensors installed. It seems the wire to the reverse gear lamp has to be cut in order to install reverse sensors. I was a little skeptical about this as the electrical warranty will be void and didn't go for it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post
3) Installed an Front Wind Shield Film [ The reflection of the dashboard is 'very' noticeable now ]
I ended up buying a pair of polaroid goggles as the reflection was very obvious. By the way, hope you are now working on peeling off the sunfilm as the SC banned it.

Quote:
PROBLEM :: A Harsh vibration is felt on the clutch always . And is increased when you accelerate ! Gurudev Motors say Its a deterrent for Clutched Driving . hmm.
Overall . I am very much satisfied with the purchase !! At 10.2 Lakhs [ On -Road ] Its Worth it !
I noticed the same problem in Vento as well at the very first time I test drove it. Your dealer's theory about it sounds funny. It is definitely some design flaw common with both Vento and Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
This probably is the tow hook below the rear bumper that must be scratching. Check that. It is similar to that in the Vento, though I've never faced a problem like yours. And I've been to the same parking spot next to Taco Bell's.
I have not installed mudflaps yet and I do not think it is the tow hook as the sound wasn't metallic. I should have mentioned that every time when I experienced this issue there were passengers in the back seats. The last time when it happened the trunk was also full. No scratch or dent could be seen in the visible area. Hence I believe it is at the bottom of the trunk, that is the plastic part under the place where spare wheel is kept.
Old 13th May 2012, 12:01   #599
BHPian

Quote:

I ended up buying a pair of polaroid goggles as the reflection was very obvious. By the way, hope you are now working on peeling off the sunfilm as the SC banned it.

I noticed the same problem in Vento as well at the very first time I test drove it. Your dealer's theory about it sounds funny. It is definitely some design flaw common with both Vento and Rapid.

Haha ! Smart Move . Yes I have too pretty soon !!

Yes ! Any Idea on how to lessen it ?

And have you upgraded your tires to 185 R14 ? The Ride is supposed to be much smoother without mileage loss !
Old 13th May 2012, 14:11   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post
Yes ! Any Idea on how to lessen it ?

And have you upgraded your tires to 185 R14 ? The Ride is supposed to be much smoother without mileage loss !
About the vibration on the clutch, I think we have to live with that. If you have the habit of keeping foot on the clutch while driving in cities it is for sure going to be horrible. About the tire upgrade, mine is Elegance and comes with 185/60 R15 tires and alloys. My best bet for tire upsize would be 205/55 R15. Was planning for this but ran out of budget as the Excise duty hike costed me about 40K extra :(. I would go for an upgrade before the stock tires do 15K kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks