Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 07:34   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A slight tyre size upsize should solve the problem (did so for my first generation Laura) (Can impact the warranty though and one wants that with a skoda.
Thanks ACM Good suggestion. I would do this when the OEM tyres are at the end of their lives since Its Skoda involved..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
@hrman, do you go fast over speed breakers? The sound does make you cringe but there is no damage anywhere!
Thanks Nileshch. Nope I dont go fast over speedbreakers at all. I know the suspension sound when going over speed breakers. This is not it. And these speedbreakers are sharp and tall. Not the ones in IT campuses. For eg: On Outer ring road, the speedbreaker just opp the SAIL factory after the flyover from KR puram/ Old Madras Road (near kasturi nagar road).
Or the speedbreaker opp SMR Vinay Galaxy further ahead towards kalyan Nagar. Those are nasty ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Agree with nileshch - It is the suspension sound and is present on the vento too. This was made a note of in the official review too, you can search this thread for suspension noise and you will get your answer.
Thanks bala80. In fact this thread and the Vento thread has made me aware of why the suspension sound comes and if it is harmful or not.

But in my case, its not the suspension sound for sure.

It happens on full load (2 passengers in the rear and full luggage) and going dead slow over the speed breakers. I strongly suspect it may be the bottom of the spare wheel well scraping the speedbreaker. Next time, on an empty road, Ill get out and check out what it really is.

If this is the case, its a serious design flaw from Skoda which Ill pass on to them. Maybe there is a solution like the civic after market suspension add-ons.
Old 19th June 2012, 17:27   #632
Team-BHP Support

Have you guys seen the Euro-spec Skoda Rapid?

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-303454_10151196200912067_1422463250_n.jpg

This looks an awful-lot like the Mission-L Concept, which I thought would be the base for the next-gen Skoda Laura. But this, apparently, will be sold in Europe as the Rapid and will be priced and positioned similarly to the Indian Rapid (i.e. below the Laura)

I'm really diggin' this Rapid. Sure, the current Rapid in India looks nice. Very classy and elegant. But this one looks sharp and very sophisticated! Any idea if the next Rapid in India would be this one?

Picture source: https://www.facebook.com/autocarindiamag
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 00:22   #633
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

yep the Europian spec rapid looks better and sports the new logo design language as well upfront. This looks should be coming in with the next generation Octavia / Laura when it arrives in India and I guess the rapid refresh as well in a couple of years.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:32   #634
BHPian

Even the rear looks awesome - love the modern design language.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-rapid.jpg
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 15:33   #635
BHPian

Hi guys,

IS the changes to the European Rapid just cosmetic or have they changed engine and other performance specifications as well ?

And does any one have any idea as to when Skoda will be relaunching the new Octavia ? Can it be expected by year end ?
Old 27th June 2012, 14:46   #636
BHPian

Sorry for deviating the talk. Can anyone who has done the first service (precheckup) share their experience? I need to decide on the service station (whether Tafe or Vinayak). I am living in Kaggadasapura and heard Vinayaka has a service center somewhere close. I hope Skoda doesn't have any policy that one must stick to the dealer from where the car was bought JIC. Also, please share by PM or in this thread if you have good with any service guy.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:07   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Thanks bala80. In fact this thread and the Vento thread has made me aware of why the suspension sound comes and if it is harmful or not.

But in my case, its not the suspension sound for sure.

It happens on full load (2 passengers in the rear and full luggage) and going dead slow over the speed breakers. I strongly suspect it may be the bottom of the spare wheel well scraping the speedbreaker. Next time, on an empty road, Ill get out and check out what it really is.

If this is the case, its a serious design flaw from Skoda which Ill pass on to them. Maybe there is a solution like the civic after market suspension add-ons.
Do you have mud flaps installed? I got mine few months back and they're horrible. Since they're oversized, they brush over speedbreakers all the time.

There are updated mud flaps released for the Vento, which are shorter and don't bursh against anything. Check them out here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2815057
Old 27th June 2012, 17:25   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Do you have mud flaps installed? I got mine few months back and they're horrible. Since they're oversized, they brush over speedbreakers all the time.

There are updated mud flaps released for the Vento, which are shorter and don't bursh against anything. Check them out here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2815057
Yes, I do have the longish mud flaps installed by the dealer. They may be the culprit.
I noticed that my mudflaps are frayed at the bottom, but not sure if its the speedbreaker or the dogs in my street which nibble on it to pass time.
Will check out the Vento ones or after market flaps which are softer.
Old 27th June 2012, 23:53   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I do have the longish mud flaps installed by the dealer. They may be the culprit.
I noticed that my mudflaps are frayed at the bottom, but not sure if its the speedbreaker or the dogs in my street which nibble on it to pass time.
Will check out the Vento ones or after market flaps which are softer.
If you are sure that the sound you mentioned is definitely not from the suspension when it releases fast there's a huge chance that it is the same issue I have reported earlier in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2772436. I have faced this problem two or three times and every time I had passengers in the backseats and once even the boot was full. I don't have mud flaps installed and so that is ruled out. It must be the bottom of the boot where the additional tire sits.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:37   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
If you are sure that the sound you mentioned is definitely not from the suspension when it releases fast there's a huge chance that it is the same issue I have reported earlier in this thread - I don't have mud flaps installed and so that is ruled out. It must be the bottom of the boot where the additional tire sits.
Since you don't have mud flaps and still face this issue, I think it may very well be the spare wheel well bottoming out. The sound was too pronounced and continuous to be the mud flap. If this is the case, I guess we will have to live with it, since there's nothing we can really do to make it ok.

BTW, were you able to give your car for the 7500 checkup?
Old 28th June 2012, 10:35   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are sure that the sound you mentioned is definitely not from the suspension when it releases fast there's a huge chance that it is the same issue I have reported earlier in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2772436. I have faced this problem two or three times and every time I had passengers in the backseats and once even the boot was full. I don't have mud flaps installed and so that is ruled out. It must be the bottom of the boot where the additional tire sits.
Quote:
Since you don't have mud flaps and still face this issue, I think it may very well be the spare wheel well bottoming out. The sound was too pronounced and continuous to be the mud flap. If this is the case, I guess we will have to live with it, since there's nothing we can really do to make it ok.

BTW, were you able to give your car for the 7500 checkup?
I don't really believe this is an overall GC issue for the Vento or Rapid - rather I think the suspension (bounce) is at play. As for me the opposite has happened, the front bumper base scrapped the inclined section once when I was backing out my car from an inclined parking place.

I immediately came out and checked it - no visible damage. Immediately tried the same incline again, but at slower speeds - no issue at all. (Check the image - that's the incline I'm talking about)

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img00217201202100912.jpg

I believe the car suspension causes a little bit of bounce and hence the one-off incident(s) with you guy(s).
Old 28th June 2012, 12:59   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I don't really believe this is an overall GC issue for the Vento or Rapid - rather I think the suspension (bounce) is at play. As for me the opposite has happened, the front bumper base scrapped the inclined section once when I was backing out my car from an inclined parking place.

I immediately came out and checked it - no visible damage. Immediately tried the same incline again, but at slower speeds - no issue at all. (Check the image - that's the incline I'm talking about)

Attachment 948264

I believe the car suspension causes a little bit of bounce and hence the one-off incident(s) with you guy(s).
I too agree that it shouldn't be the overall GC issue with Rapid . Both the times when I experienced this problem I was reversing the car out from an inclined parking area and obviously was at very low speed. But, as I mentioned there was passengers in the backseats and once even the trunk was full. This would have caused the soft side of the suspension to contract and let the bottom of the boot brush against the ground. From my driving experience, I believe that Rapid's suspension works in two levels the first part very soft and then it is hard. But, I am not a Mechanical Engineer to comment on it.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:25   #643
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned earlier on this thread, I also noticed that the rear of the car touches speed breakers when filled with full load. I still cannot figure out what is hitting the road. It happens just when your rear wheels pass the speed breaker and come down. There's a thud sound, something like a flat surface hitting the road. Its not suspension sound. Its not the rear tow hook hitting , nor does it look like the plastic mud guard too.

Has anyone figured this out? I just did a cursory inspection of the rear underbody, could not see any visible scratches. And it doesnt happen on all speed breakers. It occurs on the sharper and steeper ones (black, yellow)
This is very much a real problem, and not related to suspension or Mud-Flaps in my honest opinion. It really seems to be the undercarriage somewhere. The suspension sound is distinctly different & this usually occurs on a full load in the back-seat (or) boot. I've voiced it out to the service centre, and they brushed it off very lightly, stating 'aaj kal itna low car's banaate hain, kya karen'

I've suggested the same earlier on as well in the same thread. If anybody figures this one out, please help the others here !

The speed does not matter, you could be doing under 5 km/h on a bump and this 'scrape' would still occur, and not on all speed-brakers as rightly mentioned.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:08   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for deviating the talk. Can anyone who has done the first service (precheckup) share their experience? I need to decide on the service station (whether Tafe or Vinayak). I am living in Kaggadasapura and heard Vinayaka has a service center somewhere close. I hope Skoda doesn't have any policy that one must stick to the dealer from where the car was bought JIC. Also, please share by PM or in this thread if you have good with any service guy.
Vinayk has a service center in old madras road. You need to go over the KR Puram suspension flyover and after about 3-4 kms, 2nd signal take a left and it's just 50 mtrs away from the main road. There is a college--Garden city or something and the service center is much before that.
I have not got mine serviced as yet, but have been there for a free check up. Not a bad place, courteous service execs, but its a little conjested. I suggest you call them up and take an appointment before going there.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:14   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Have you guys seen the Euro-spec Skoda Rapid?

This looks an awful-lot like the Mission-L Concept, which I thought would be the base for the next-gen Skoda Laura. But this, apparently, will be sold in Europe as the Rapid and will be priced and positioned similarly to the Indian Rapid (i.e. below the Laura)

I'm really diggin' this Rapid. Sure, the current Rapid in India looks nice. Very classy and elegant. But this one looks sharp and very sophisticated! Any idea if the next Rapid in India would be this one?

Picture source: https://www.facebook.com/autocarindiamag
Looks fab for sure, but this is not based on the Polo / Vento since the c pillars resemble the Mission L concept and the car actually looks a lot bigger. Are they calling the Mission L as the rapid in europe?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks