Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:01   #781
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Sorry for being ignorant and missed if already discussed in this thread

DOes the Rapid Rear suspension suffer from thud' sound over bumps as it has been widely reported for VW Vento? and considering the fact that both are mechanically same!

We are in the process of finalising one between the sunny and the rapid hence this query
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:12   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster
DOes the Rapid Rear suspension suffer from thud' sound over bumps as it has been widely reported for VW Vento?
Yes it does, thats an inherent problem with both the cars and they make a loud thud sound in some cases where the car jumps over potholes or undulations.

Its not a daily occurence though, once a while and it doesnt unsettle the car. If you want a drivers car, go for Rapid , i own a vento and a close friend has Rapid, nothing comes close to the 1.6 TDi's fun factor and brilliant high speed dynamics.
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:31   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007
Yes it does, thats an inherent problem with both the cars and they make a loud thud sound in some cases where the car jumps over potholes or undulations.

Its not a daily occurence though, once a while and it doesnt unsettle the car. If you want a drivers car, go for Rapid , i own a vento and a close friend has Rapid, nothing comes close to the 1.6 TDi's fun factor and brilliant high speed dynamics.
Thanks for your immidiate reply
Yes i must say i have test driven both the cars and the rapid feels like it has been crafted around you! And the build quality, thud sound from the doors makes it look and sound highly appealing
Having said that as all skodas recommend using synthetic oil, what are their service costs like..? For the 15k interval

To my sales executive for both sunny and rapid i have quoted them with a simle exercise to quote me the cost for a headlamp unit, and a painted bumper and the labour cost during service which would help in further comparison
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:54   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Having said that as all skodas recommend using synthetic oil, what are their service costs like..? For the 15k interval
The service costs are anywhere between 8-11k depending on whatever extras you go in for, some owners agree for things like interior cleaning etc which are useless if you get them done from service centres.

The 15k service should cost around 9-10k and i think that is fair given the long 15,000 km/1 year service interval. I have no clue what the service interval for Sunny is but if its 5,000 or 10,000 kms and they use mineral oil, it will work out a couple of thousand cheaper than Rapid.

Quote:
To my sales executive for both sunny and rapid i have quoted them with a simle exercise to quote me the cost for a headlamp unit, and a painted bumper and the labour cost during service which would help in further comparison
Would be glad if you post this update here, helps other people. My hunch, the Rapid may have slightly higher part prices. If you go in for zero dep insurance, you dont need to worry about bumper or lights, check what the services cost.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:49   #785
BHPian

Dear bhpians ...

Regarding:- turbo kicking in w.r.t rpm.
Car:- Rapid TDI ambition, 3 months old and 7500 kms run, July 2012 manufactured.

When I had test driven rapid before buying there was an evident, considerable and sudden push post 1900-2000 rpm when turbo kicked in.

But in my car, post 1500 rpm car starts pulling comfortably and continues to do so even post 2000 ... 2500 rpm in a similar way(linear acceleration). There is no sudden pull post 2000 rpm.

That sudden rush when turbo kicks in is completely missing in my car.
This is my clear observation. Please confirm if its normal/similar in other Rapid TDIs. I havent driven any other Rapid to compare.

Note: On highways, car hits 100 kmph speed at 2300 rpm. This is inline with what GTO had mentioned in this report.

Thanks and cheers,
--Yash
Old 18th December 2012, 00:05   #786
BHPian

hi

The other day i was just wondering how come Rapid does not have a seat belt alarm! not even for the driver! Coming from the German stable, i thought safety would have been given a special thought. Every other car has it nowadays. Is it the same in Vento? Any plausible reason for omitting this basic feature?
Old 18th December 2012, 01:49   #787
BHPian

Hi can someone please breakdown the apprx first service cost for the rapid amd let me know if there were any concerns with the car post that much usage.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

e.g Type Approximate instead of 'apprx'

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th December 2012 at 04:10. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 14:16   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

The other day i was just wondering how come Rapid does not have a seat belt alarm! not even for the driver! Coming from the German stable, i thought safety would have been given a special thought. Every other car has it nowadays. Is it the same in Vento? Any plausible reason for omitting this basic feature?
True that.. Don't have a clue on Vento though.. Personally I'm happy that it doesn't have it ;-)
Old 18th December 2012, 15:15   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post
True that.. Don't have a clue on Vento though.. Personally I'm happy that it doesn't have it ;-)
Vento also doesnt have this feature . To each his own, i am glad that Vento doesnt have it, i prefer a simple red sign on the instrument cluster to those irritating beeps, the Linea has it and it annoys me so much.
Old 18th December 2012, 17:18   #790
AWD
BHPian

Got hold of Rapid's Spare parts list. Owners can compare with prices they came across:

[IMG][/IMG]

Also the sales exec. told me that the Suspension noise issue has been taken care off.
Old 18th December 2012, 17:23   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Also the sales exec. told me that the Suspension noise issue has been taken care off.
The prices are very reasonable for a C segment car - i mean the major cost would be the oil, spares are not expensive. Seems they slashed the prices - the ac filter used to cost 1000+.

What suspension noise are you talking about in particular? The rear "thud" noise - i dont think its solved.
Old 18th December 2012, 18:15   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

Actually if you see those who value the importance of seat belts would anyway wear them, alarm or not, and those who dont, well, no alarms would be good enough for them.

Think of it like this, how many people wear seat belts at the rear? Would it be better if there was an alarm for that too?

I think a true safety feature would be if the car wont budge if all people who are sitting inside arent belted. Else your beeps and all are just superficial only and can easily be ignored!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 19:23   #793
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

Actually if you see those who value the importance of seat belts would anyway wear them, alarm or not, and those who dont, well, no alarms would be good enough for them.

Think of it like this, how many people wear seat belts at the rear? Would it be better if there was an alarm for that too?

I think a true safety feature would be if the car wont budge if all people who are sitting inside arent belted. Else your beeps and all are just superficial only and can easily be ignored!
I for one would love to have the beep alarm to ensure that the rear seat passengers too, comply with the seatbelt rule. We Indians in general are too easygoing about these safety rules and this laissez faire attitude to safety can result and indeed, has resulted in terrible tragedies that could oh so easily have been prevented by simply belting up! I would advocate wearing your seatbelt regardless of which seat you are sitting in. Better safe than sorry.
Trivia: when Ford first came to India they had a large delegation as long staying guests in the Taj, Bombay and later in the Taj Madras. Their preferred car rental service provider was Hertz. They chose Hertz because they could be sure that all their fleet vehicles had rear seat belts, which as per Ford's rule book and employee code of conduct, was mandatory! It was absolutely mandatory for Ford employees sitting in the vehicles to wear their seat belts, regardless of which seat they occupied!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th December 2012 at 19:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 20:50   #794
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The prices are very reasonable Seems they slashed the prices
What suspension noise are you talking about in particular? The rear "thud" noise - i dont think its solved.
Yes the prices looked at par with competition to me too. The Exec. said that there has been a reduction of upto 60% in spare parts prices. The reason he said was due to huge localisation & Aurangabad plant.

I was talking about noise from front suspension.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 22:13   #795
BHPian

I was checking and comparing the feature list of the Rapid last night, and I found the car rather under-specced (using online comparo-tools ). At the price of 9 lac+ OTR, the VFM factor is not strong on the Rapid. Even the Ambition variant gets only driver airbag for a 10 lac car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks