Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 21:56   #841
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prraghun View Post
Hi Motorworks, i had ordered a set of mudflaps from ebay for the Rapid & they seem to be just fine. A set of 4 costed Rs.550 (could cost much less if you have discount coupons). A friend of mine who owns the Vento found it much better than the stock ones & replaced them with these.
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Skoda-Rapid-P...#ht_1469wt_906.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info prraghun! I just placed an order for a set. Just a quick question - Is it something an amateur can install or should need a mechanic?
Old 10th January 2013, 22:21   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Motorworks, i had ordered a set of mudflaps from ebay for the Rapid & they seem to be just fine. A set of 4 costed Rs.550 (could cost much less if you have discount coupons). A friend of mine who owns the Vento found it much better than the stock ones & replaced them with these.
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Skoda-Rapid-P...#ht_1469wt_906.

Cheers!
Are these made of rubber or plastic.Is it rigid or flexible?
Old 11th January 2013, 11:23   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Thanks for the info prraghun! I just placed an order for a set. Just a quick question - Is it something an amateur can install or should need a mechanic?
I had it fixed free of charge at TAFE (Hosur road), would suggest you have it fixed by a mechanic. Cheers!
Old 11th January 2013, 11:28   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Are these made of rubber or plastic.Is it rigid or flexible?
These are plastic and rigid, but not as rigid compared to the stock ones on Vento
Old 17th January 2013, 19:22   #845

Foremost, thanks to my maa to whom I owe everything !

Rapid does not disappoint. Rapid looks BETTER than the Vento. It performs even better.

It keeps me impressed everytime I turn ON the ignition; just can't take my eyes off it! Am planning to hit the road for a Bombay-AHmedabad-Dwarka-Somnath, soon; will keep all posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-100_6025.jpg  

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-100_6024.jpg  

Jimbhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:14   #846
BHPian

Hey folks,

I have a problem with my 6 months old Rapid. The car hasn't seen much running just around 5K kms as I have not been able to use it for much else other than my shortish commute to office daily (25km overall daily)

My Problem :

There is a metallic / mechanical sound coming from the right suspension / steering column when I go over bumps/pot holes in a certain way.This is not the "thud" sound which I was aware of even before I purchased the car - I know its a characteristic of the Rapid/Vento. This sound is different and it started around last month.

When I go over a pot hole - specifically when the right wheel goes over the pothole in a certain way ( I say so coz I can't reproduce the issue on every bump/pothole) there is this sound through the right suspension and steering (mechanical & metallic ) - like a some metal component hitting the end of its whole travel length. And it transmits that feedback to the steering which gives you the feeling that there is some play in the steering - just for that moment. Otherwise there is no play in the steering.

The trouble is I don't know how to reproduce it over bad roads - except I can reproduce it when I drive the vehicle over the same roads in the same fashion I do everyday to work / back home.

Since I have chalked out a long ride for February (>1500km) I wanted to be sure that the car is in good shape - thus got my First free checkup scheduled for 18th Jan 2013 - this last friday.

Shankar (Balan) has been a lot of help to me till date with Skoda & Vinayak - so after contacting him and taking his suggestion I spoke to Mr Aiyanna at the KR Puram Svc station and explained my problem. When I went there on friday I met with Mr Anto who went round with me on a long enough trial but I wasn't able to reproduce the issue try as I might. Likewise he too couldn't reproduce it.

We put the car on the ramp and they checked the underbody and gave it a clean chit - the underbody is clean - never been scraped, no damage, hits to suspension components... nothing... yet I know something is wrong. Its not normal - I have been driving cars for 15 years I know there is a problem here and I am not able to reproduce it when required.

The svc station chaps re-torqued everything and gave it back to me saying there was no other fault. Now I am in a fix - I know there is a problem, but I can't reproduce it - neither can they in their trials.

Of course, on the way back I heard the same sound many times - its audible - nothing you have to concentrate or strain to hear - its loud...but since I can't reproduce it all the time its a huge problem now ........

Any ideas on what to do next ?
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:37   #847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
Any ideas on what to do next ?
Not sure but just a thought. It can also be as simple as a pebble/stone getting into one of the locations close to the suspension. Though there may
not have been any scrape/underbody hit, this is possible. That might also explain why, you are not able to reproduce the problem all the time.
Because you hear the sound, only when the stone comes in contact.

But what makes doubt that, is the guys at service centre did check it up and found nothing. Perhaps the stone got away?
Do you still hear the sound?

Last edited by ampere : 19th January 2013 at 21:39.
Old 19th January 2013, 21:41   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure but just a thought. It can also be as simple as a pebble/stone getting into one of the locations close to the suspension. Though there may
not have been any scrape/underbody hit, this is possible. That might also explain why, you are not able to reproduce the problem all the time.
Because you hear the sound, only when the stone comes in contact.

But what makes doubt that, is the guys at service centre did check it up and found nothing. Perhaps the stone got away?
Do you still here the sound?
Yes the sound is still there. But I really doubt if its a stone of some object like that which is stuck in there. It doesn't "sound" like a loose object hitting the confines of a small area.

For ex - if I am turning right and if the right wheel/tyre runs down through a medium pothole - the suspension / steering shudders as if it will fall away under the car .... I don't think its a stone ..

I tried running over the trial roads near the svc station in the same way - I could feel the same feedback but the roads didn't have potholes as bad for me to reproduce it loudly enough...
Old 19th January 2013, 21:52   #849
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Yes the sound is still there. But I really doubt if its a stone of some object like that which is stuck in there. It doesn't "sound" like a loose object hitting the confines of a small area.

For ex - if I am turning right and if the right wheel/tyre runs down through a medium pothole - the suspension / steering shudders as if it will fall away under the car .... I don't think its a stone ..

I tried running over the trial roads near the svc station in the same way - I could feel the same feedback but the roads didn't have potholes as bad for me to reproduce it loudly enough...
Possibility of brake calliper clip!
Check. No harm!
Old 20th January 2013, 20:14   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Did you get these installed yet, I got them delivered and the Skoda guys rejected my set saying the holes don't line up. But looking at it in more detail I can atleast get two holes to align. Also Kryptonite ordered the same and the ones he got fit perfectly.

The screws that Skoda uses are different, hence its a pain to do this on your own.
Old 21st January 2013, 13:02   #851

Quote:

Sandeep, i had a similar experience, and when i visited the TAFE service station, the problem was identified as a pebble that had got lodged between the right disc brake.
As a side note, even i had trouble clearly describing the noise, what helped me was this link on TBHP:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ats-sound.html.
Refer to the description of the "clunk" sound. Hope this helps!
prraghun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 13:45   #852
BHPian

Quote:

I had the exact same issue with my front-left wheel. At certain speeds (nothing high, 40-50kmph was good enough) over certain bumps (again not devilish ones, just a small one was sufficient) it sounded like the car just gave away. Note that I said "sounded like"; i couldnt feel anything at the steering. Nothing significant at least.

But the sound was one loud CLUNK which really gave me the shudders. Overall, it would have happened around 4-5 times before I took it to the TAFE service station. The issue was identified to be a problem in the suspension, because it had sprung a leak. They replaced the entire suspension unit under warranty.
maxaud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:56   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Sandeep, i had a similar experience, and when i visited the TAFE service station, the problem was identified as a pebble that had got lodged between the right disc brake.
As a side note, even i had trouble clearly describing the noise, what helped me was this link on TBHP:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ats-sound.html.
Refer to the description of the "clunk" sound. Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaud View Post
I had the exact same issue with my front-left wheel. At certain speeds (nothing high, 40-50kmph was good enough) over certain bumps (again not devilish ones, just a small one was sufficient) it sounded like the car just gave away. Note that I said "sounded like"; i couldnt feel anything at the steering. Nothing significant at least.

But the sound was one loud CLUNK which really gave me the shudders. Overall, it would have happened around 4-5 times before I took it to the TAFE service station. The issue was identified to be a problem in the suspension, because it had sprung a leak. They replaced the entire suspension unit under warranty.

Well I am still not convinced that its a pebble or a stone though I am inclined to think its the suspension itself thats broken based on the feedback I get through the steering wheel. But I will have it checked again shortly.

Thanks guys !
Old 23rd January 2013, 23:25   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I am still not convinced that its a pebble or a stone though I am inclined to think its the suspension itself thats broken based on the feedback I get through the steering wheel. But I will have it checked again shortly...
Find the Skoda A$$ closest to the roads where you are hearing the sound. Schedule an appointment and take extra long drives if required. Please note there are no shortcuts if you need to sort out the issue.

ONLY good rapport can help if you need to take long TDs with the SA. So please work it out accordingly. Or find similar roads close to the Skoda A$$ and take your car there during TDs. Just to be sure, try & drive thru those roads a day before your scheduled appointment and check whether you can re-produce the sound.

It may sound crazy, but we don't have a choice.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:59   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Find the Skoda A$$ closest to the roads where you are hearing the sound. Schedule an appointment and take extra long drives if required. Please note there are no shortcuts if you need to sort out the issue.

ONLY good rapport can help if you need to take long TDs with the SA. So please work it out accordingly. Or find similar roads close to the Skoda A$$ and take your car there during TDs. Just to be sure, try & drive thru those roads a day before your scheduled appointment and check whether you can re-produce the sound.

It may sound crazy, but we don't have a choice.
I was ruing the fact that I didn't drive on the test road before I took the mechanic with me. I know they use that stretch.

I am going to do it this time - thanks

Most Viewed