Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 16:59   #856
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

I’m happy to say that I became a Skoda family member. This is my first diesel & first Sedan.

Before sharing my few lines, I would like to thank this wonderful forum T-BHP. It has been very very informative & educative to one & all.

First of all, I would like to thank Kryptonite, Naveen Raju & Vivek (of Tune-O-Tronics) & ofcourse other contributors for sharing their various experiences. To be frank, before booking my car, I used to pester Kryptonite for my various doubts & clarifications. He was so cool, he always responded to my mails so quickly.

Took delivery of my Rapid Ambi+ from Tafe Access, Hosur road a week ago. Sales guy at Tafe Hosur road (by name Yogesh) was very cooperative & helpful.

Cars on my list were Duster/Vento/Rapid/Verna. Among these, Duster was my liking but somehow, I felt 14L was high. I read lot on Verna ‘s road manners, esp on highways, so took out from the list. Choice was bet’n Vento & Rapid. Rapid appealed more & decided to go for Rapid. Straight went to Tafe to just have the looks/pricing etc. SA Yogesh after briefing me about the car, he himself insisted me take test drive immediately. Just drove for few kms on Hosur road & like to say I got what I was looking for. Engine was very punchy & I was happy with the over all performance.

Model - Ambition+ MY2013 (plus model is with some added features). Only accessory bought from dealer reverse sensor around 3k.
Alloys - bought 15” EVO & seat covers from Drift-Koramangala. They have good collection of wheels. Even Pitstop Chandru in Sanjay Nagar has good collection of wheels. At the time of fitting the wheels, I noticed that Skoda is Hub Centric type & not lug centric. Wheels sat on bolts & there was difference between wheel bore & hub external dia. Though there was no wobbling or judder in brake pedal etc, I decided to have hub centric rings. Visited A1 Car near Lal Bagh & got 4 rings fitted to wheels. Now, no tension [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT]

Tyres - gone for Yoko 205/55 bought from SLD Tyres – Domlur Service road, since they are very close by to my house & also got good pricing + exchange val for my original wheels.

About ride – due to some hectic work I couldn’t try it much. My work place is close by to my house hardly 2kms away. Only once I took it to highway - Kolar road for 100+ kms up & down light on pedal. Since it’s in running in phase, I didn’t want to push too much. How I felt? One word Awesome.
Other accessory I have to add on priority is spoiler. My son is after me to get it. He has seen the pics of Kryptonite’s car in BHP & chasing me now [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT] I will try to post few pics soon, couldn’t click.

My Journey:
2 Wheel – started with Vijay (hope few BHPn know this) - Yezdi –KB100-TVS Supra-RX100-Yezdi Road King (sold very recently) – Used to have lot of fun in tweaking/modifying, like jetting, expansion chambers, port polishing etc etc… Now TVS Access scooter + 15 year old Kinetic Honda.

4 Wheel – Ambassador (learned driving) – Fiat Padmini – Maruti 800 these are for brief period & then moved to Maruti Omni – Wagon-R and and… lovely trusted race horse Swift Vxi - for 4+ years. I have i10 1.2L Kappa for my daughter & wife & I too drive occasionally. I never intended to change my Swift, which had 15” Titan racing alloys / BF Goodrich Tyres, Synthetic Oil, K&N Filters, Iridium plugs, custom made headlight harness with 2 Interface relays & Flosser 100/130 watts bulbs.. etc….This car never gave even a minute problem. Only one thing became inadequate was boot space for few days outing with family. Just this small issue ignited & finally Rapid came home. Really almost in tears when I gave my Swift. I did lot of Highway driving in this.

After some running in I will share my further experiences.

Mates, thanks for all your support & patience..

With Regards,
ALSUDA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 18:09   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
I’m happy to say that I became a Skoda family member. This is my first diesel & first Sedan.

Before sharing my few lines, I would like to thank this wonderful forum T-BHP. It has been very very informative & educative to one & all.

First of all, I would like to thank Kryptonite, Naveen Raju & Vivek (of Tune-O-Tronics) & ofcourse other contributors for sharing their various experiences. To be frank, before booking my car, I used to pester Kryptonite for my various doubts & clarifications. He was so cool, he always responded to my mails so quickly.

Took delivery of my Rapid Ambi+ from Tafe Access, Hosur road a week ago. Sales guy at Tafe Hosur road (by name Yogesh) was very cooperative & helpful.

Cars on my list were Duster/Vento/Rapid/Verna. Among these, Duster was my liking but somehow, I felt 14L was high. I read lot on Verna ‘s road manners, esp on highways, so took out from the list. Choice was bet’n Vento & Rapid. Rapid appealed more & decided to go for Rapid. Straight went to Tafe to just have the looks/pricing etc. SA Yogesh after briefing me about the car, he himself insisted me take test drive immediately. Just drove for few kms on Hosur road & like to say I got what I was looking for. Engine was very punchy & I was happy with the over all performance.

Model - Ambition+ MY2013 (plus model is with some added features). Only accessory bought from dealer reverse sensor around 3k.
Alloys - bought 15” EVO & seat covers from Drift-Koramangala. They have good collection of wheels. Even Pitstop Chandru in Sanjay Nagar has good collection of wheels. At the time of fitting the wheels, I noticed that Skoda is Hub Centric type & not lug centric. Wheels sat on bolts & there was difference between wheel bore & hub external dia. Though there was no wobbling or judder in brake pedal etc, I decided to have hub centric rings. Visited A1 Car near Lal Bagh & got 4 rings fitted to wheels. Now, no tension [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT]

Tyres - gone for Yoko 205/55 bought from SLD Tyres – Domlur Service road, since they are very close by to my house & also got good pricing + exchange val for my original wheels.

About ride – due to some hectic work I couldn’t try it much. My work place is close by to my house hardly 2kms away. Only once I took it to highway - Kolar road for 100+ kms up & down light on pedal. Since it’s in running in phase, I didn’t want to push too much. How I felt? One word Awesome.
Other accessory I have to add on priority is spoiler. My son is after me to get it. He has seen the pics of Kryptonite’s car in BHP & chasing me now [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT] I will try to post few pics soon, couldn’t click.

My Journey:
2 Wheel – started with Vijay (hope few BHPn know this) - Yezdi –KB100-TVS Supra-RX100-Yezdi Road King (sold very recently) – Used to have lot of fun in tweaking/modifying, like jetting, expansion chambers, port polishing etc etc… Now TVS Access scooter + 15 year old Kinetic Honda.

4 Wheel – Ambassador (learned driving) – Fiat Padmini – Maruti 800 these are for brief period & then moved to Maruti Omni – Wagon-R and and… lovely trusted race horse Swift Vxi - for 4+ years. I have i10 1.2L Kappa for my daughter & wife & I too drive occasionally. I never intended to change my Swift, which had 15” Titan racing alloys / BF Goodrich Tyres, Synthetic Oil, K&N Filters, Iridium plugs, custom made headlight harness with 2 Interface relays & Flosser 100/130 watts bulbs.. etc….This car never gave even a minute problem. Only one thing became inadequate was boot space for few days outing with family. Just this small issue ignited & finally Rapid came home. Really almost in tears when I gave my Swift. I did lot of Highway driving in this.

After some running in I will share my further experiences.

Mates, thanks for all your support & patience..

With Regards,

Congratulations and welcome to the clan . I too own a Pearl Black Rapid Ambition TDI. Having learnt driving on an 1970 amby (dad's prized possession) and then driven a maruti ritz, Skoda Rapid is like a dream ride. I am so much in love with my car! It's not like there is anything wrong now but I'm really looking forward to some mods. First on the list is some new shoes. An upsized alloy+tyre upgrage. The only changes I have had so far are
- Cerwin Wega HED65C components on all 4 doors : They are worth every rupee and more!
- 3D Maxpider mats (beige)
- Reverse Parking camera and IRVM display (which I'm planning to replace by a good 2-din player)
- Short stubby VW antenna. The stock ones were an eyesore.
- 3M CF Vinyls on the OVRM. These were just to hide the few scratches on the mirror cowls due to some stupid local bus drivers.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:51   #858
BHPian

Hi Manas5, thank you .
As you listed, first go for 15" alloys & tyres. You can go for 195/60 or 205/55.
(205/55 is with less error). Also a must have is reverse sensor or camera. Even I liked the Black, but my family decided on white even before deciding on any sedan. Even I'm trying for Shark fin antenna in e-bay, couldn't source one, all are dummy ones. Did you change only Cerwin Wega components with original head unit or changed the full system? I think the original speakers are with paper cone, I've not checked yet. I need to do some running-in this week end. Early to office & late home + office close by to residence - didn't take out the car for last couple of days.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:23   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manas5, thank you .
As you listed, first go for 15" alloys & tyres. You can go for 195/60 or 205/55.
(205/55 is with less error). Also a must have is reverse sensor or camera. Even I liked the Black, but my family decided on white even before deciding on any sedan. Even I'm trying for Shark fin antenna in e-bay, couldn't source one, all are dummy ones. Did you change only Cerwin Wega components with original head unit or changed the full system? I think the original speakers are with paper cone, I've not checked yet. I need to do some running-in this week end. Early to office & late home + office close by to residence - didn't take out the car for last couple of days.
I got the Rapid Ambition (Ambition Plus etc. were not out yet) in Oct 2012. So it didn't come with any HU or speakers. Showroom guys had offered me a basic Pioneer 1490UB with two pairs of JBL. I didn't even bother to look at what speakers they had fitted when I was get the new components. They were really pathetic. Shark-fin antennas are not so easy to get. To my knowledge just the Superb, shark-fin antennas are the ones which can be installed on rapid. Kryptonite seems to have sourced one in bangalore. You can also find one with GSP receiver built-in from vagtune.in. They are based out of cochin. But those are tad too expensive
Old 25th January 2013, 15:04   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
I got the Rapid Ambition (Ambition Plus etc. were not out yet) in Oct 2012. So it didn't come with any HU or speakers. Showroom guys had offered me a basic Pioneer 1490UB with two pairs of JBL. I didn't even bother to look at what speakers they had fitted when I was getting the new components. They were really pathetic. Shark-fin antennas are not so easy to get. To my knowledge just the Superb, shark-fin antennas are the ones which can be installed on rapid. Kryptonite seems to have sourced one in bangalore. You can also find one with GSP receiver built-in from vagtune.in. They are based out of cochin. But those are tad too expensive
I meant GPS receiver.

MODS : Doe to some reason I can't edit my post!
Old 27th January 2013, 12:42   #861
BHPian

My 200th post !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
Hey folks,

I have a problem with my 6 months old Rapid. The car hasn't seen much running just around 5K kms as I have not been able to use it for much else other than my shortish commute to office daily (25km overall daily)

My Problem :

There is a metallic / mechanical sound coming from the right suspension / steering column when I go over bumps/pot holes in a certain way.This is not the "thud" sound which I was aware of even before I purchased the car - I know its a characteristic of the Rapid/Vento. This sound is different and it started around last month.

When I go over a pot hole - specifically when the right wheel goes over the pothole in a certain way ( I say so coz I can't reproduce the issue on every bump/pothole) there is this sound through the right suspension and steering (mechanical & metallic ) - like a some metal component hitting the end of its whole travel length. And it transmits that feedback to the steering which gives you the feeling that there is some play in the steering - just for that moment. Otherwise there is no play in the steering.

The trouble is I don't know how to reproduce it over bad roads - except I can reproduce it when I drive the vehicle over the same roads in the same fashion I do everyday to work / back home.

Since I have chalked out a long ride for February (>1500km) I wanted to be sure that the car is in good shape - thus got my First free checkup scheduled for 18th Jan 2013 - this last friday.

Shankar (Balan) has been a lot of help to me till date with Skoda & Vinayak - so after contacting him and taking his suggestion I spoke to Mr Aiyanna at the KR Puram Svc station and explained my problem. When I went there on friday I met with Mr Anto who went round with me on a long enough trial but I wasn't able to reproduce the issue try as I might. Likewise he too couldn't reproduce it.

We put the car on the ramp and they checked the underbody and gave it a clean chit - the underbody is clean - never been scraped, no damage, hits to suspension components... nothing... yet I know something is wrong. Its not normal - I have been driving cars for 15 years I know there is a problem here and I am not able to reproduce it when required.

The svc station chaps re-torqued everything and gave it back to me saying there was no other fault. Now I am in a fix - I know there is a problem, but I can't reproduce it - neither can they in their trials.

Of course, on the way back I heard the same sound many times - its audible - nothing you have to concentrate or strain to hear - its loud...but since I can't reproduce it all the time its a huge problem now ........

Any ideas on what to do next ?
Hey Sandeep,
Just saw your PM, but thought I'll respond on this main thread directly. I've done 25,000 kms so far - it's been fantastic .

I've heard the occasional metallic cling/clang in my car as well, its soft and not intrusive, but its there. There are however no vibrations accompanying the sounds. Co-incidentally, I've been hearing this in the recent 500kms after my car navigated through some potholes. I hear these soft noises only when the rear suspension does it work though. It's rare, the sound is defnitely from the rear of the car, and does happen only when the rear suspension is active. So, when I was getting the car washed recently near my house, I checked the suspension for cracks and leaks. Everything looks fine, except that when I slap the rear suspension springs, they seems to shiver and vibrate with that metallic noise. We should probably catch up, drive each other's cars.

Quote:

You're welcome mate. Congratulations!

Quote:
Old 28th January 2013, 16:07   #862

Hi guys! Needed some help here. Stay in Bombay. I currently own a Maruti Ritz vxi for 3.5 years and have run 45k kms odd on it. Plan to go in for a sedan now. Have test driven the Rapid Diesel, Vento Petrol and Honda City. Was completely impressed with the Rapid with its road handling, diesel turbo engine with that extra spunk, and the cabin. Have always wanted to own a Skoda, so maybe a little partial here. Am planning to go in for the Elegance version, and the dealer is giving an attractive discount too. (Autobahn).
I have certain questions I need some help with -
1. Am a little tentative because of the scary after sales stories I read everywhere. Can someone throw some light on this please?
2. Am very particular about my music preferences. So will of course get a customised sound system installed. Wanted to know if custom installation is sound systems over the company installed one will have any problems to the car, its wiring or software set up.
3. Also wanted to go in for a good rear park assist cum navigation system. Can someone recommend a good one? Again any challenges with getting them done from outside the Skoda dealership?
Thoughts / suggestions are welcome....
Old 29th January 2013, 15:26   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
Hi guys! Needed some help here. Stay in Bombay.
================= Again any challenges with getting them done from outside the Skoda dealership?
Hi Ashish,

1. Owning a Rapid for past 4 months I can't comment much on this. But I think it's not that bad anymore. Just you'd need a lot more patience than elsewhere.
2. No. If the installation is done without cutting any wires (which would void the electrical warranty) then I don't see any issues. The showroom guys will definitely try to convince you getting it done in-house for a higher premium but I'd suggest not to fall for it. I recently upgraded the comps over the ones the showroom guys had fitted and realised that they had actually cut 4-5 wires while installing the pioneer HU. Immediately called them up to enquire and they said it's okay if wires have been cut at the showroom! And that the warranty is still void. So dont worry about it. Just pick a reputed experienced accessory shop.
3. That's a strange combination you're looking out for. I'd suggest you to look out for navigation feature in the HU you pick. I've been looking out for an HU to replace my reverse parking camera display (IVRM) and have navigation features. But seems like I'd go for a HU + Standalone GSP device. for reverse parking systems look out for products from Red Soul
Manas5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 22:24   #864

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share the following experience I had while inspecting the Skoda Rapid allotted to me in Tafe Access yard, here in Bangalore. I had specifically requested for a Jan 2013 vehicle and was told the one allotted to me is so. But when I went to check out, the VIN came up as Aug 2012 (thanks to the VIN thread on TBHP). However, the interiors had leather wrapped steering wheel, gear knob and hand break - which are 2013 (model year) features. Apparently Skoda had introduced these since Nov 2012 itself. What confirmed my suspicion was the permanent marker type inscription on the inside radiator grille "22/08/2012". Finally was able to get a Jan 2013 (6th digit A and 10th D) vehicle allotted after arguing for 30 min.s with both the SA and the yard manager. Attaching a pic of the VIN of the initially allotted vehicle. Forgot to take a snap of the radiator grille marking.

Interestingly, the new car (ending 32930 with 6th A and 10th D) had a Nov 2012 (I think it was 23/11/2012) on the radiator grille! Both the SA and yard manager tried to convince me that Skoda first prints the VIN on the glass and then proceeds to assemble the vehicle and in all the process of assembly (inside the factory) would take 2-3 months!! More on that (booking/purchase/delivery etc) once I get my hands on this new vehicle (expected to be delivered this Thurs/Fri).
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img2013012900015.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2013, 08:03   #865
BHPian

Am from Bangalore. Live in Rajajinagar.

Am looking at buying either a Skoda Rapid or Volkswagen Vento. I have a Honda Jazz (May 2010) model that I need to sell before buying.
Rapid 2012 model, dealer has promised 75K off ex-showroom price. Its currently approx. 9,94,000. Total discount would come to around Rs. 1,00,000. He's even offered some accessories that we can talk if Im serious.
Have seen Vento 2013 model. It has audio control on steering wheel, with blue tooth connectivity for phone. However the buttons are so small, they seem to be like for display rather than for actual use.
I like the front looks of the Rapid compared to the Vento.
NVH levels in Rapid seem to be lower than that of Vento.
I have visited the Volkswagen service centre in Rajajinagar and spent some time. Went through some of the service bills, talked to some supervisors. They use Castrol 5W-40 which costs Rs. 970 per litre. Diesel Vento needs 5 litres + drain plug. This comes to approx. Rs. 5k. Typical service costs are in the range of Rs.8.5k to Rs. 10k for 15k kms or 1 year.
Skoda has a service centre in Oaklipuram. Havent been there though I know the place.
Questions:
1. Should I go in for a Skoda Rapid or Vento ?
2. Should I go in for 2012 model or 2013 model ?
3. Should I wait for Honda Amaze which is expected to be available in Bangalore in March this year ?.

I love driving and we (me, wife, son) have been to Orissa, MP, Maharashtra, entire South in our Swift diesel (which I dont plan to sell).

Request your valuable comments.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:35   #866

Hi Aashish,

Don't even think twice; just go for the Rapid! Having owned a Hyundai Santro Xing and a Chevy Spark, I bought my first-ever sedan in a stunning black Skoda Rapid Elegance TDI in September of 2012, and have only rejoiced since then!

I test drove the Scala (it's good and does not necessqarily resemble the Sunny) and Duster - the latter out of curiosity - apart from the City and Vento (both commoners); Rapid is a class apart!

Also, will recommend to take quotes from 2 dealerships (atleast!) to check discounts on offer - Autobahn and JMD Auto; you might end up getting an even better deal.

Even as the Antares alloys add sheen to Elegance (!), the factory fitted audio equipment is a disappointment, since the radio reception isn't great on the Eastern Express Highway and several patches in the city, my daily commuting route.

Wishing you luck and would be eager to hear from you!

Jim
[COLOR=black][FONT='Arial Narrow']When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to murder him he calls it ferocity : George Bernard Shaw[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
Hi guys! Needed some help here. Stay in Bombay. I currently own a Maruti Ritz vxi for 3.5 years and have run 45k kms odd on it. Plan to go in for a sedan now. Have test driven the Rapid Diesel, Vento Petrol and Honda City. Was completely impressed with the Rapid with its road handling, diesel turbo engine with that extra spunk, and the cabin. Have always wanted to own a Skoda, so maybe a little partial here. Am planning to go in for the Elegance version, and the dealer is giving an attractive discount too. (Autobahn).
I have certain questions I need some help with -
1. Am a little tentative because of the scary after sales stories I read everywhere. Can someone throw some light on this please?
2. Am very particular about my music preferences. So will of course get a customised sound system installed. Wanted to know if custom installation is sound systems over the company installed one will have any problems to the car, its wiring or software set up.
3. Also wanted to go in for a good rear park assist cum navigation system. Can someone recommend a good one? Again any challenges with getting them done from outside the Skoda dealership?
Jimbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 09:24   #867
BHPian

Not to discourage anyone from buying a rapid (i do think the car has potential), my recent experience with the car hasn't exactly been a pleasant one. Without going into too much detail (i'm still working on my review), starting from day one at the dealership to after-sales, if i am to sum up in one word, deplorable! I have written to skoda twice about my woes and i didn't even receive so much as an acknowledgement from them yet.

I apologize if the issue has already been discussed elsewhere. Every time i go over even the tiniest speed breaker with atleast two people at the back seat, the bottom scrapes! The one time, when i had two people at the back and the boot loaded as well, it became so bad that i had to shift some luggage to another car mid way (thankfully we had two cars traveling). Anyone else experience this?
Old 6th February 2013, 10:35   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
Without going into too much detail (i'm still working on my review), starting from day one at the dealership to after-sales, if i am to sum up in one word, deplorable!

Every time i go over even the tiniest speed breaker with atleast two people at the back seat, the bottom scrapes! The one time, when i had two people at the back and the boot loaded as well, it became so bad that i had to shift some luggage to another car mid way (thankfully we had two cars traveling). Anyone else experience this?
Please provide details of the issues that you have faced. Generalized statements without facts sometimes create unexpected perceptions.
May be your review will cover them.

My experience is bit different. Only if I drive over humps, carelessly, without slowing down I get to hear the thud sound. Otherwise no issues even with 5 people and luggage onboard. Recently I had driven to Shanivarsanthe(near kushalnagar, Madikeri) and encountered a stretch of 40kms of horrible road. Rapid took the road in its stride very comfortably. With careful driving, did not scrape anywhere.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:20   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Please provide details of the issues that you have faced. Generalized statements without facts sometimes create unexpected perceptions.
May be your review will cover them.

My experience is bit different. Only if I drive over humps, carelessly, without slowing down I get to hear the thud sound. Otherwise no issues even with 5 people and luggage onboard. Recently I had driven to Shanivarsanthe(near kushalnagar, Madikeri) and encountered a stretch of 40kms of horrible road. Rapid took the road in its stride very comfortably. With careful driving, did not scrape anywhere.
Here is a brief info of my experience so far,
* having promised a 2013 vehicle, i was given a 2012 car.
* i had opted for art leather seat cover as an add on. The quality of work done was extremely bad. There were stains all over and wrinkles and sag in many areas. I finally had them remove it. After many calls, i finally got the refund check two days ago.
* There was a creak from the right front door right from the start. I took the car to get it fixed. After an entire day there, when i took delivery of the car, the noise was still there, if anything worse than before.
* I had opted for parking sensor which stopped working on the second day, along with the reverse light.

Its not the "thud" sound from the suspension when going over sharp potholes that i was talking about. With a full load of passengers, even at a crawl the bottom scrapes(somewhere near the back end of the car) over every little speak breaker.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:56   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
Here is a brief info of my experience so far,
* having promised a 2013 vehicle, i was given a 2012 car./
Did you accept the 2012 vehicle? Or haggled for some discounts? Looks like your expectations are set as soon as you got the car, w.r.t the A$$. Sad that some of those are still crappy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks