Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 22:16   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Finally my car had been towed to Oklipuram service center. Considering weekend, will have to wait until tomorrow for any updates.
I'm sure SKoda will be able to resolve the issue. How were tow guys able to winch with rear gear engaged or were they able to move it to neutral?

Quote:
BTW, those are brand new tyres which I upgraded yesterday and never got to feel them :(
Which tyres did you upgrade up to?
Old 20th April 2014, 22:28   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I'm sure SKoda will be able to resolve the issue. How were tow guys able to winch with rear gear engaged or were they able to move it to neutral?
Pressed clutch with engine off and the tow guy pulled the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Which tyres did you upgrade up to?
Upgraded to MRF ZLO, 195/60R15

Details
Old 21st April 2014, 11:53   #1533
BHPian

Skoda A.S.S mentioned gear cable is cut. It had problem only while engaging 2nd and 4th gear. They are still checking for other damages.
Estimated price of repair is Rs. 3,000 - 4,000

Question: is the gear cable that weak to come off so soon?

Car is 1 year 7 months old and driven 48,000 kms.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:00   #1534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Skoda A.S.S mentioned gear cable is cut. It had problem only while engaging 2nd and 4th gear. They are still checking for other damages.
Estimated price of repair is Rs. 3,000 - 4,000

Question: is the gear cable that weak to come off so soon?

Car is 1 year 7 months old and driven 48,000 kms.
Can you ask for photos of the cut? Also where in the underbody is the cable cut from? Is it near the shifter or near the transmission.

Maybe just maybe the cable got damaged when on the lift jack while changing tyres.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:58   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Can you ask for photos of the cut? Also where in the underbody is the cable cut from? Is it near the shifter or near the transmission.

Maybe just maybe the cable got damaged when on the lift jack while changing tyres.
I could not get any photo(s). Even they were unable to show it properly.

Not quite sure on the exact location. Attaching image based on what was shown to me.

I am waiting for them to get back to me with more details. Now I am have come to my office.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg  

Old 21st April 2014, 15:28   #1536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Upgraded to MRF ZLO, 195/60R15

Details
Those are nice. Silent, Comfy & Grippy; but doesn't really like to be pushed around corners like sport tyres. Doesn't complain, but car may roll a bit.

Quote:

Not quite sure on the exact location. Attaching image based on what was shown to me.

I am waiting for them to get back to me with more details. Now I am have come to my office.
Should NOT this be covered in warranty? I have never heard of this problem and doubt this is ANY "wear & tear" part.
Old 21st April 2014, 15:35   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Those are nice. Silent, Comfy & Grippy; but doesn't really like to be pushed around corners like sport tyres. Doesn't complain, but car may roll a bit.
What are you saying?
Pushing at corner was one of the thing I was looking at!

Quote:
Should NOT this be covered in warranty? I have never heard of this problem and doubt this is ANY "wear & tear" part.
I am really not sure. Hence posting details here for experts comments.

My primary question is, can this really happen for a young car?
Old 21st April 2014, 16:03   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What are you saying?
Pushing at corner was one of the thing I was looking at!...
Well, it doesn't perform as well as a Potenza GIII. Mine is a Swift and I had body roll on the corners while pushing. Read similar feedback from a Fiesta owner too. As I said, it does NOT squeal, but you don't feel that comfy, especially after using performance tyres.

It could be different on a Rapid; but I suggest taking it easy initially and trying to learn the characteristics till you are comfy with those.

Quote:
...My primary question is, can this really happen for a young car?
To be very honest, this is the first time am hearing of this issue. Never read about it anywhere, be on any car of any age; let alone within 50K kms.
Old 21st April 2014, 17:17   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Well, it doesn't perform as well as a Potenza GIII. Mine is a Swift and I had body roll on the corners while pushing. Read similar feedback from a Fiesta owner too. As I said, it does NOT squeal, but you don't feel that comfy, especially after using performance tyres.
Thanks for the caution!

Hope they are better than Apollo Acelere (stock tyres).

Eagerly waiting for my car to be ready!

Quote:
To be very honest, this is the first time am hearing of this issue. Never read about it anywhere, be on any car of any age; let alone within 50K kms.
Fingers crossed till I hear back from Skoda.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:19   #1540
BHPian

My Skoda Rapid is fast approaching 1000 Kms and I read in one of the forums on TBHP recommending the engine oil to be changed after the initial 1K interval.

Need some inputs from this forum on the recommended brand of engine oil in compliance with the standard set forth as a requirement for Rapid.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:04   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
My Skoda Rapid is fast approaching 1000 Kms and I read in one of the forums on TBHP recommending the engine oil to be changed after the initial 1K interval.

Need some inputs from this forum on the recommended brand of engine oil in compliance with the standard set forth as a requirement for Rapid.

Cheers
I had the same doubt initially. It is not required for another 14,000 kms.

If you still feel like doing. Go ahead.. your pocket will be lighter by around 4.5K
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:23   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
It has been 25 days since I got home my Rapid and I have covered 1700 kms. I don't think there is any need to change the engine oil now. As 500ContyCruiser said it can wait for another 14k kms.

Quote:

This is disturbing. I wish your ride comes back to you in pristine condition. Snapping of gear cable is something unheard of and hopefully this will be covered under warranty. Please do keep us posted on the developments.

On a different note, I need some clarifications from Rapid owners here.

What is the actual range of trip meters (both trip 1 and trip 2) in Rapid? As per the manual trip 1 has 100kms range and resets if the car is switched off for 2 hours. This is perfect with me. But the range of trip 2 as per manual is either 1999 or 9999 (if the vehicle is with information display). But this is not working as intended for me. It is getting reset on its own. Not sure when it is getting reset. At first I thought by mistake I reset the meter. But then it again got reset during my weekend Pondy drive. Started the Pondy drive with ~300kms on the trip 2 and when I checked the next day in Chennai, the trip 2 was showing 75kms. I did not stop anywhere en route and I am not sure how this got reset! I need to know the practical range of these trip meters. What if I am taking up Ladakh trip and the trip meter gets reset on its own?

Next is the functioning of Auto AC. Sometimes in Auto mode, the outside air and smell comes in. The re-circulation symbol is displayed. It happens only in Auto mode. Is this how Auto mode functions?
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:22   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
This is disturbing. I wish your ride comes back to you in pristine condition. Snapping of gear cable is something unheard of and hopefully this will be covered under warranty. Please do keep us posted on the developments.
Yes, I am asking them to check on warranty part.

Fingers cross and waiting to hear back.

The last update I received was, it is really the Gear Shift cable which is damaged and they currently do not have stock. It might take about 10 working days for the part to arrive.

I have a trip planned by end of this month and hope I get my car back then.. with the problem resolved for good!

Quote:
On a different note, I need some clarifications from Rapid owners here.

What is the actual range of trip meters (both trip 1 and trip 2) in Rapid? As per the manual trip 1 has 100kms range and resets if the car is switched off for 2 hours. This is perfect with me. But the range of trip 2 as per manual is either 1999 or 9999 (if the vehicle is with information display). But this is not working as intended for me. It is getting reset on its own. Not sure when it is getting reset. At first I thought by mistake I reset the meter. But then it again got reset during my weekend Pondy drive. Started the Pondy drive with ~300kms on the trip 2 and when I checked the next day in Chennai, the trip 2 was showing 75kms. I did not stop anywhere en route and I am not sure how this got reset! I need to know the practical range of these trip meters. What if I am taking up Ladakh trip and the trip meter gets reset on its own?
I am not sure of this. Actually I got to know of Trip 2 very recently.

Quote:
Next is the functioning of Auto AC. Sometimes in Auto mode, the outside air and smell comes in. The re-circulation symbol is displayed. It happens only in Auto mode. Is this how Auto mode functions?
Yes, Even I have experienced it. Check with Skoda SA and they say AC (with re-circulation) cannot avoid outside air completely, else you would suffocate. With this, you are bound to get bad odor along with it.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:52   #1544
BHPian

Just to clarify the trip2 option is in post 2013 models?
Old 22nd April 2014, 15:17   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Just to clarify the trip2 option is in post 2013 models?
I am not sure about this but if there is trip 2 available in pre 2013 models, this is how you switch between the memories

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3411764

Most Viewed