Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 12:54   #1606
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Are you looking at MY14 MPI or TDI? In any case, both are available in Chennai and the Ultima is just an add on to the MY14 models. As for TDI (non ultima), you get the car in a week but you will have to wait for MPI (non ultima). I purchased TDI elegance this March and got delivery in a week. I opted out of Ultima for the reasons you have mentioned. The very next month my cousin took delivery of MPI. But he went for Ultima as he needed the car urgently. They were ready to deliver the normal variant in 2-3 months.
Thats strange. I was under the impression that MY14 models were not available till they finish off with the Ultima. I want the TDI but my wife likes the MPI. So kinda stuck now.

Where is the showroom in Chennai? I might be coming there next weekend and if time permits, will check out the showroom in person.
Old 28th May 2014, 13:02   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Thats strange. I was under the impression that MY14 models were not available till they finish off with the Ultima. I want the TDI but my wife likes the MPI. So kinda stuck now.

Where is the showroom in Chennai? I might be coming there next weekend and if time permits, will check out the showroom in person.
Nope, it is not the case. Ultima is just the MY14 models with added gizmos. If I am not wrong, there are only 2-3 2013 models available with Chennai dealer. All the Rapids coming out now are MY14 spec, be it Ultima or normal variants. In fact, all the add on are fitted at the dealer level. I have personally seen them fit the gizmos and stickers in their PDI yard. So without those add on it is just Ambition/Elegance. The SA will push for Ultima as it is profitable for them, but if we take a firm stand we can get the normal variant.

There are two showrooms in Chennai, both Gurudev Motors. One is in Arumbakkam - Poonamalee High Road and the other in Mount Road - Teynampet. Me and my cousin got the vehicle from Arumbakkam.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 28th May 2014 at 13:10.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 15:43   #1608
BHPian

I am booking the Rapid 1.6 Tdi Ambition Ultima tomorrow. I am picking up the Ultima @ 11 Lakhs, On road Price is 11.67, I am getting the Loan between 2.5-4.11% depending on the tenure. I believe that's a very good deal! I think I could have bargained harder. Despite the 5 X 5 deals offered by Skoda, they can customize a better deal for customer as they have done for me. I have been promised a delivery on Monday! I want to shout out yaay! but I will refrain myself from doing so.

I realized that Skoda is offering 5 years maintenance in the 5 X 5 Scheme; but they are charging an additional Rs. 800/- per month on the existing emi's as part of the maintenance scheme. The Skoda SE that I am interacting with fell short of calling the maintenance scheme a big fat scam. According to him, the maintenance for every 15k kms comes to about Rs. 8k, that's more or less what a normal driver would drive. A friend of mine who owns a Rapid agrees with the SE on the maintenance costs. He also told me that only maintenance is free, spare parts are not included (obviously). So.... 5 X 5 is in fact 5 X 4! Does that also mean that the 5 years extended warranty many not actually be true!

No doubt Rapid is an amazing car, but I just can't shake that feeling off that I am being suckered by the SE. I feel that I am missing something, can't place a finger on it though.

Will update after the purchase. Thanks for all your help on helping me make the decision.
Old 28th May 2014, 15:48   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
In fact, all the add on are fitted at the dealer level. I have personally seen them fit the gizmos and stickers in their PDI yard. So without those add on it is just Ambition/Elegance. .
I went in for the Summer Camp check up and saw the same, didn't take any pictures , should have though.
Correct me if i'm wrong, Funny thing is that the 7 spoke alloys they are retro fitting come straight from the Vento.
Also saw them converting a RED Rapid. It had the 7 spoke and Projector Headlamps and was getting the stickers done, very certain that the color is no longer on offer?
Old 28th May 2014, 16:17   #1610

My wife managed to break the LH Sun visor in my car trying to protect herself from the scorching summer heat. The last time I went to TAFE ACCESS Service center for Summer Service Camp, I requested them to replace the same. However, they didn’t have stock and said will place and order – once received will call. And the SA informed me that it would be costing around Rs.2500 I was surprised at that point that it costs that much but was OK with it.

Now, I got a call from him saying the part apparently costs Rs.6000 I am literally shocked that such a small item can cost that much. Am I exaggerating or the price itself is that much? I am NOT willing to spend Rs.6000 for such a menial thing of course, but can anyone help me out in this? Does anyone replaced this before or anyone has a list of prices of accessories of Skoda Rapid?
tpsantu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 12:56   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsantu View Post
Now, I got a call from him saying the part apparently costs Rs.6000
Hi, I inquired today, the cost of Sun Visor is Rs. 3,000/- I confirmed with Tafe Access' spare parts executive. Can you let me know who this SA was at the Tafe Access who quoted twice the price? We should complain against him
Old 29th May 2014, 18:24   #1612
BHPian

Hi All, Was wondering if anyone has had the instrument cluster in their Rapid changed to Maxi Dot or some thing similar.

The stock cluster is the extremely bland looking. I have seen a number of POLO GT's have had this done and it looks awesome. Thinking of getting that done but cant seem to find any threads where it has been fitted to a Rapid.

Old 29th May 2014, 18:51   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
I have seen a number of POLO GT's have had this done and it looks awesome. Thinking of getting that done but cant seem to find any threads where it has been fitted to a Rapid.
AFAIK, the instrument clusters retrofitted in most of the Polo's we've witnessed on the forum have been sourced/installed from Vagtune. But I couldn't find a similar one for Rapid, in fact haven't come across an installation in Rapid. Ping them up and see what they can do. Keep us posted on this.

Hope this helps!
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 19:28   #1614
BHPian

Skoda Rapid V/s Volkswagen Vento

Hi Guys,

I am looking to change my sedan with either the Rapid or the Vento. I am looking for Petrol. Which would be a better choice. I called up VW to enquire but they took down my number and never bothered to call. Skoda guys called within half hour of me enquiring. I am getting Rapid Active for 7.65 New Bombay on road. This includes free Skoda Shield and 15k corp discount. The dealer has also promised to give some accessories if I decide to finalise.

I believe both cars are at par but its only the Skoda service which is holding me back.

Kindly suggest if I should close the deal on the Rapid or should check the Vento once.
Old 29th May 2014, 19:50   #1615
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid V/s Volkswagen Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
Kindly suggest if I should close the deal on the Rapid or should check the Vento once.
They are both predominantly the same car under the skin with cosmetic changes. The Vento, to me looks very ordinary with the Rapid looking little more aggressive. I had the same dilemma when i was choosing between the 2. Rapid is very stable on highways and instills confidence when driving. I felt the Vento (with a slightly softer suspension set up) not very sure footed IMPO.

With all the negative feedback regarding Skoda ASS, you need to understand there are that many and more that are satisfied, and there has been a noticeabe improvement from Skoda.

If you maintain your car, drive well and service regularly you will have miles of pleasure with any car for that matter.

My opinion : Rapid
Old 29th May 2014, 20:05   #1616
Distinguished - BHPian

Both cars are mechanically the same. Service wise you need to assess which one is the better in your area. VW has improved their service as experienced, but has scope for further improvement.

So it boils down to how the interiors gel with your liking and external styling. For me I would prefer the Vento to the Rapid .
Old 29th May 2014, 20:16   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Visit both the dealerships to check out the interiors and a brief test drive. You'd be able to finalize in an instant.

However, considering Skoda's after sales, please think hard before plonking your money there.
Old 29th May 2014, 20:43   #1618
BHPian

We already have a dedicated thread for this query.
A few months back I had posted the same question on that thread on behalf of a friend who was in the same dilemma.

And he went ahead with the Vento. Mechanically there is nothing much that differentiates both the cars. As someone had replied to my post, it just boils down to factors like which service center is closer to you and whose looks and interiors you find better.

Personally I like the Vento more. But to be honest, that liking is just a tiny fraction more for the Vento, I don't like it by a big margin.

P.S.: he went for the VW badge fearing the Skoda horror stories and proximity of the service center, nothing else.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 29th May 2014 at 20:44.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 21:15   #1619
BHPian

Since you're looking for a petrol, I would recommend the Vento GT TSi, which, by all reports is a cracker of a car(though it is an automatic). A facelift for the Vento is expected around the festival season, if you can please wait. It is expected that a lot more kit will be added
Old 30th May 2014, 01:52   #1620
BHPian

Attaching a picture of the birthday gift to my MY12 Rapid

Its OEM from Skoda, installed without cutting or splicing of any wire.

Sorry for the poor quality pic. Its the crappy BB camera!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img2014050900345.jpg  

Last edited by torque18 : 30th May 2014 at 01:54.
torque18 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed