Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 23:22   #2401
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Yesterday I had gone to replace my car's armrest cover (which Vinayak Skoda, Bangalore, took almost 2 months to get the part). To my surprise, found out that there is a design change in armrest console itself (in latest models), hence the new armrest cover was not fitting.

Initially they were arguing that, someone has fixed non-Skoda or duplicate part. However after some inspection, it turned out the other way. Which Skoda technicians did not had any clue off.

According to SA, they ordered the product based on my car's VIN number.

I cross verified in other car, noticed there are two different types on different cars. Unfortunately, they are getting new part number even for old cars (by VIN number).

Skoda guys suggested to change the armrest console itself, which will cost around 5,000/-. Which I straight away refused citing it as Skoda's mistake (not Vinayak Skoda guys) for either not manufacturing / stocking exact replacement product or not upgrading outdated items in existing cars (not sure if there was any advisory on it).

Difference in armrest covers:
In old armrest setup, there is grove kind of thing which holds the cover. And it has extra leaf in the cover (you can notice in the image below) to mask the gap.

Whereas in new armrest setup, they have replaced grove thingy with screws. And the extra leaf kind (in the cover) is missing, as it is now part of armrest console itself.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-cover.jpg

Even I see old kind of armrest cover in Rapid's Test Drive & Review. link & link.

In this week, I should come to know possible resolution from Skoda end. Hope this does not get dragged endlessly.

Other images:
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20160227_184827_hdr.jpg
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20160227_184843_hdr.jpg
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20160227_184907.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20160227_184733_hdr.jpg
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20160227_184739_hdr.jpg
Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-img_20160227_184755_hdr.jpg

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 28th February 2016 at 23:24.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:54   #2402
BHPian

HELP NEEDED

My rapid has done 56000 kms.

Of late, there is a strange thing happening whenever I brake. At speeds of 100 or more kmph, when brakes are applied, the steering vibrates and there is a strange sound coming from the front.

What could this be? I have looked for disc warping, but the discs seem to be all right. Could this be the brake pads have worn out, or some suspension issue?
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:23   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
HELP NEEDED

Of late, there is a strange thing happening whenever I brake. At speeds of 100 or more kmph, when brakes are applied, the steering vibrates and there is a strange sound coming from the front.

What could this be? I have looked for disc warping, but the discs seem to be all right. Could this be the brake pads have worn out, or some suspension issue?
Just get the discs skimmed. Since it's closing in on 60k and if you haven't changed the discs till date, you might as well change the discs.
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:40   #2404
BHPian

I have faced the same issue in my vento(47K kms) after skimming my discs too. Later found out that the wheel bearing and hub is the issue. Am checking if it can be replaced under extended warranty
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:10   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
I have faced the same issue in my vento(47K kms) after skimming my discs too. Later found out that the wheel bearing and hub is the issue. Am checking if it can be replaced under extended warranty
Wheel bearing and hub? IMO the sound should then be continuous when you exceed a certain speed, say 35 kmph and not while braking only.

Last edited by deepfusion : 3rd March 2016 at 16:11.
Old 3rd March 2016, 17:11   #2406
BHPian

I do not get any noise while driving, only vibrations while braking at speeds above 100. And that was the reason told by the chief mechanic at Volkswagen. I might get it replaced under warranty and then we can get to know.
prabhul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 00:36   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
Thanks for raising this, I have been looking for the same lip spoiler with no luck, visited VW showroom to check vento lip spoiler and they have been quoting 5K + charges to get it painted.
I bought lip spoiler today from wholesale distributor in Kashmiri Gate car market for about 1700 bucks. Will post pics soon.

Plan to paste and not drill.
Old 4th March 2016, 09:55   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
I do not get any noise while driving, only vibrations while braking at speeds above 100. And that was the reason told by the chief mechanic at Volkswagen. I might get it replaced under warranty and then we can get to know.
Would warranty be applicable on hub and bearing? If that is the scenario, I shall also have to push for the same. I have booked an appointment for this Sunday. Lets see what Skoda does.
Old 4th March 2016, 10:31   #2409
BHPian

My rapid TDI has run close to 35000 km and a few months back my AC stopped working. I took it to Tafe hosur road and got it fixed. They told me that the AC blower was misaligned and also the AC filter was clogged and hence was replaced.

However,Post this service, besides the fact that AC seems much more less effective than before , I am also seeing marked difference in the way my engine is sounding . With the AC switched on at even at minimum, the engine distinctly sounds very strained and it gets worse as the AC is increased. Also I can feel a lot of vibrations which can be felt on the pedals and the steering column. It is more of a intermittent thrumming which increases to very noticable levels as the AC is increased.

I had complained about this to the skoda guys the very next day after i got it from service and one of the mechanics came and checked it and he said its normal. But I know my car very well, and for sure I can make out the difference from before and after the service.

Has anyone else faced similiar issue ? Any inputs/suggestions on what I can check from my side? Whenever any concern related to engine or internal components is raised to the skoda guys, they always say its normal.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 4th March 2016 at 10:34.
Old 4th March 2016, 11:10   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post

I had complained about this to the skoda guys the very next day after i got it from service and one of the mechanics came and checked it and he said its normal. But I know my car very well, and for sure I can make out the difference from before and after the service.
Try getting someone who owns similar car drive it to see if it is really a issue or take it to different service center. Don't tell them what the issue is instead ask them to identify.

At times after getting car serviced I feel its not working as well as before. Most of the times its me being paranoid!
Old 4th March 2016, 20:04   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
HELP NEEDED

It's very well the rotors. I had a similar issue with my Fabia few yrs ago. I got the rotors skimmed and found that the steering wheel vibrates scarily, only above 90-100kmph on braking.
I got the rotors changed and the problem hasn't appeared after that. Try to get your rotors checked and change them if you are too uncomfortable with the vibration.
Old 4th March 2016, 21:08   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
It's very well the rotors. I had a similar issue with my Fabia few yrs ago. I got the rotors skimmed and found that the steering wheel vibrates scarily, only above 90-100kmph on braking.
I got the rotors changed and the problem hasn't appeared after that. Try to get your rotors checked and change them if you are too uncomfortable with the vibration.
The problem is there there in fact is shuddering also when brakes are applied.

I have spoken to two independent mechanics and the Skoda mechanic, and all of them have affirmed the rotors as the problem. Sunday I hope the problem will be eliminated.
Old 4th March 2016, 21:19   #2413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is there there in fact is shuddering also when brakes are applied.

I have spoken to two independent mechanics and the Skoda mechanic, and all of them have affirmed the rotors as the problem. Sunday I hope the problem will be eliminated.
When you say Rotors, do you mean the discs? Or is it something else? I have the exact same problem in my 25K run Vento TSI. Have an appointment next Saturday. Lot of folks seem to have faced this issue. I have seen change of Brake Pads, Skimming discs and replacement of discs as solutions to this problem.

Please update once you visit the service center. Not very confident about the VW Service Center and worried that they will try some trial and error stuff. So would like to clearly tell them what needs to be done.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th March 2016 at 21:30.
Old 4th March 2016, 22:01   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When you say Rotors, do you mean the discs? Or is it something else?

Yeah Rotors are nothing but Discs. I'm not sure skimming would help, as in my case, skimming was the reason for the issue. You can give it a try but be prepared to change the rotors.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 15:55   #2415
BHPian

Hi All,
Need help me understand if engine mounts are not covered under extended warranty, my car is 3.3 yr old and 36600 on the ODO.
Today I gave the vehicle for summer camp and complaint about guzz sound when reversing, the SA just called me and told that this is due to the weak engine mount and needs replacement and is not covered under extended warranty(cost 4.5k plus labour).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks