Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 17:14   #2821
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Surprising. If that is the case, then the key itself should be the problem. How old is your car / key? Is the key used extensively so that the buttons themselves have worn out?
The car is four and half years old. The key was working fine. After the suspension change, ABS light lit up. During the correction of the error, something happened and the key stopped working.

As of now, the door has to be physically opened by inserting the key into the door slot. Within 30 seconds the car's ignition has to be turned on, failing which, all hell breaks loose and the car's horns start blowing. It stops as soon as the car is started.

The buttons are not worn out completely, although the symbols have just about started fading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Have you tried to spare fob? The buttons on one of my fobs are so worn out that the unlock button doesn't work at all.

Best take it to the ASC
The spare fob is a manual one.
Old 16th October 2018, 21:21   #2822

Does anyone buy the Petrol Automatic version of the Rapid? Seeing everyone own Diesel variants over here. I'm looking at the Petrol Automatic since for some reason I can't get the diesel. Should I or should I not?
Old 17th October 2018, 07:41   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilpai View Post
Does anyone buy the Petrol Automatic version of the Rapid? Seeing everyone own Diesel variants over here. I'm looking at the Petrol Automatic since for some reason I can't get the diesel. Should I or should I not?
For petrol auto I would recommend Vento TSi over Rapid petrol auto. This combination (Turbo Petrol + DSG) is not available in Rapid, but you will get a 1.6MPi (Petrol)Auto in Rapid. Vento TSi is better than this 1.6Mpi in Rapid.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:08   #2824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
For petrol auto I would recommend Vento TSi over Rapid petrol auto. This combination (Turbo Petrol + DSG) is not available in Rapid, but you will get a 1.6MPi (Petrol)Auto in Rapid. Vento TSi is better than this 1.6Mpi in Rapid.
Thanks. I get that TSI is better than MPI and also DSG is better than torque converter. Vento however seems to have a supply issue for the Comfortline trim. So then if Vento is unavailable then do I stick with Rapid, or go for Ciaz and compromise on build quality? In other words, is Rapid petrol engine bad enough to skip it altogether? Had ordered the Verna but even that order got cancelled since the EX variant is now discontinued
Old 17th October 2018, 10:32   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In other words, is Rapid petrol engine bad enough to skip it altogether?
I've owned the Rapid petrol manual since 2013 (just over 60k kms now), and can confidently recommend it to anyone. It has good torque low in the Rev range and is surprisingly efficient both in city and on the highway for a 1.6. It is also reliable and cheap to maintain. Don't expect it to be a scorcher or win any races though.

I can't however speak for the Rapid petrol automatic.

I have driven the Ciaz petrol auto (1.4), and that one is lazy. It is also slightly skittish at highway speeds. Build quality is cheap, though the interiors look good enough. On the whole not for one used to the quality and stability of the VW group vehicles. My personal opinion - others may disagree.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 12:08   #2826
Senior - BHPian

I too have driven Rapid Petrol variant on few occassions, it pulls cleanly from lower gears and no issues when driving in city traffic. The exhaust has a sporty note and average FE is 11-13kmpl. The performance of AC is pretty similar to diesel variants and not on par with its competitors. Overall it is a good vehicle with a cheaper maintenance.
Old 17th October 2018, 19:29   #2827

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I too have driven Rapid Petrol variant on few occassions, it pulls cleanly from lower gears and no issues when driving in city traffic.
Referring to the Manual or Automatic variant?
Old 17th October 2018, 21:10   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I get that TSI is better than MPI and also DSG is better than torque converter. Vento however seems to have a supply issue for the Comfortline trim. So then if Vento is unavailable then do I stick with Rapid, or go for Ciaz and compromise on build quality? In other words, is Rapid petrol engine bad enough to skip it altogether? Had ordered the Verna but even that order got cancelled since the EX variant is now discontinued

I would ask you to stay away from the Rapid petrol for one aspect and that is its resale value. Skoda in general has a very high skew of diesel sales even in todays age of narrowing fuel prices and that reflects in the re-sale of the petrol. Plus, the petrol engine is nothing great to write about, its adequate and thats about it.

However the build and other qualities of the Rapid are hard to match, my suggestion is that if you have made up your mind about the Rapid, then its worth stretching for the diesel anyday. You will have fun while driving and you are also assured of a decent resale.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 21:35   #2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I would ask you to stay away from the Rapid petrol for one aspect and that is its resale value.
====
You will have fun while driving and you are also assured of a decent resale.
Thanks. Unfortunate my company is buying the car as a corporate purchase and my eligibility limit doesn't allow me to stretch my budget for the diesel variant
Old 17th October 2018, 22:49   #2830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't think the Rapid Petrol + AT will be too bad. This review is probably the most comprehensive one out there on the 1.6 + AT combo. The review is from the Vento before the TSI DSG made its debut.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...vice-done.html

Having said that, the Vento is not a big selling model, am surprised that they cannot get you the variant you want. Did you check with multiple dealers?
Old 18th October 2018, 14:35   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunate my company is buying the car as a corporate purchase and my eligibility limit doesn't allow me to stretch my budget for the diesel variant
I bought my petrol AT a year back, 2012 model and I am absolutely loving it. Has enough grunt to pull when required and considering the car is over 6 years old, I thankfully still haven't had any major issues this past year. The 1st owner was also pretty happy with performance and only sold this off since he wanted a SUV.

Mileage is slightly on the lower side, in bumper to bumper traffic, you'll get around 9-10 kmpl, but on highways while driving at around 100-120 kmph, you'll get around 14-16 kmpl if you aren't too aggressive with your right foot. Engine is slightly dated but the overall package more than makes up for it. I suggest this over other cars any day probably because I haven't faced any of the A.S.S issues yet.

P.S: I also own a fluidic 1.6 Verna, the Rapid is miles ahead with respect to driving dynamics, build quality and handling; the Verna is feature loaded. Probably not an apples to apples comparison since the newer models of both are significantly better.

Last edited by Shome : 18th October 2018 at 14:41.
Old 20th October 2018, 11:07   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Referring to the Manual or Automatic variant?
It was a MT variant.
Old 21st October 2018, 22:37   #2833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
I bought my petrol AT a year back, 2012 model and I am absolutely loving it. Has enough grunt to pull when required and considering the car is over 6 years old, I thankfully still haven't had any major issues this past year. The 1st owner was also pretty happy with performance and only sold this off since he wanted a SUV.

Mileage is slightly on the lower side, in bumper to bumper traffic, you'll get around 9-10 kmpl, but on highways while driving at around 100-120 kmph, you'll get around 14-16 kmpl if you aren't too aggressive with your right foot. Engine is slightly dated but the overall package more than makes up for it. I suggest this over other cars any day probably because I haven't faced any of the A.S.S issues yet.

P.S: I also own a fluidic 1.6 Verna, the Rapid is miles ahead with respect to driving dynamics, build quality and handling; the Verna is feature loaded. Probably not an apples to apples comparison since the newer models of both are significantly better.
I agree. I've been a proud owner of the Skoda Rapid Petrol AT for the last 5 years. In my opinion its the best automatic sedan in its segment. The gear upshift and downshift is effortless and very responsive. No other car matches the build quality and performance in this segment. I recently changed the stock tyres at 40K to Yokohama R15 and the right quality has enhanced significantly. I've seen a noticeable reduction in cabin noise too. A clear thumbs up from me to Skoda. No intention of selling this car for the next 5 years if it holds up good.
dspeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:34   #2834

Does the 4 year extended warranty of Skoda take care of the ASS issues which everyone complains about? Or it could still turn bad?
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:49   #2835
BHPian

Is there any news regarding the current Rapid of Europe to launch in India in near future.

Most Viewed