Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 17:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Fantastic review GTO - and kudos to Ford for bringing in DSG tech in a compact sedan.

As many members already said - it will probably not sell well. They already have 75k discounts running on petrol variants, and this variant will probably sell at even more discounts A-la Linea T-jet.

IMO they should concentrate on bringing in fiesta hatchback ASAP (at a sensible price). And then introduce DSG in that hatchback - now we are talking

Last edited by sids911 : 15th November 2011 at 17:30.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as usual. I first heard of the DCT technology when I was reading reviews of the Lancer EVO X a few years back, and the explanation of the technology frankly made a lot of sense to me- it sounded simple yet highly effective for quicker shifts.

However, with the limited demand for petrols nowadays (let alone petrol sedans with relatively bigger engines), I wonder how much of acceptance this automatic model of the Fiesta is going to enjoy in the Indian market.

Congratulations on 50 high quality reviews. May the TBHP flag keep flying higher and higher!
Old 15th November 2011, 17:50   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It looks like the car is moving, BUT, Where is the driver???

Is the car AUTO pilot as well??
Old 15th November 2011, 17:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the crisp and pointed review GTO, much appreciated.

Like others, I feel that Ford dropped the ball by missing out on a Diesel AT, but that could be made up (if only slightly) by offering the AT across trims other than just the top end. I haven't heard a single reviewer walk away without singing praises of this DCT, and I'm really curious about its pricing too. Fingers crossed, this will give sales a bit of a fillip since buyers will be comparing the Vento, Rapid and City AT's, all of which are petrol AT's. The sheer quality of this gearbox, if everyone is to be believed, is what might well tip the scales in the Fiesta's favor.

Thanks again.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:09   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thanks GTO! A nice way to bring up the 50th official review

Missing on the diesel AT is huge, but introduction of DCT in the new Fiesta could probably make the competitors to think of getting DCT/DSG in their offerings in this segment – say VW Vento, Skoda Rapid etc.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 18:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review of this new variant. Dual Clutch Auto is great news but limited only for petrol variants will limit it's appeal considering our country's new found love for Diesel + AT combo. Time for Ford to reconsider the pricing of new Fiesta.

I own a car with Diesel + DSG combo and i vouch for the performance and FE this combination offers.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th November 2011 at 18:32.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 18:26   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review GTO. The most detailed review of just the AT aspect that I have ever read.

If Ford claims 240000 kms 10 years life for the sealed AT box then it effectively should give a 10 year warranty for it.

Also what after 10 years - The poor soul who has to replace the box (sealed box normally implies replacement at the end of the period? like in a sealed battery?). the cost of the relacement box after 10 years could closely match the possible 1.5L market price of the whole car then.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:29   #23
BHPian

Good review GTO; the good thing about it was the explanations rendered alongside, which teaches driver-types only (referring to my good self), a lot of about the actual working mechanisms.

What are chances of FM launching the Diesel AT? Lot many people are looking forward to it. The petrol AT may not find too many takers, as mentioned by most on this thread, for obvious reasons.

The MT car drives really well, but screams for a more powerful motor.

Wish for :
- Diesel AT
- 1.6 engines - AT as well as MT

One final question, how did you find the driving dynamics of the car?
Old 15th November 2011, 18:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

This is real good !
Truly, the more difficult it was for me to understand the modes, the more easier it would be to drive! As Anshuman said, let Ford now correct the the pricing to slot this one right.
This can go on to become the most sought after AT in its segment.

Lets also hope this propels VW to push DSGs to the C-segment to fire up the competition.
Great review @GTO.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_power View Post

Good observation. Looks like the photo has been morphed. Auto pilot - priceless
Old 15th November 2011, 18:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good to see AT in Fiesta, but petrol-only? Also, considering the current Fiesta prices and seeing that the AT variant is also quite loaded, I have no hope that Ford will price this car competitively.

OT: Saw a new black Fiesta today, and it looks smashing in black!
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 18:43   #27
BHPian

Excellent review GTO. Your notes along with the review made it really easy to understand the technical aspects along with the review itself. Rating the thread a well deserved 5 stars!

But, but, alas, you got it wrong, Ford, yet again! While the dual clutch technology and all is fine, but, how can you miss the diesel wagon? It was a wonderful opportunity to eat into the sub 10lakh diesel cars AT category.

And the pricing, lets get it right this time, in the first shot, please!
Old 15th November 2011, 19:02   #28
BHPian

Excellent review GTO.
Ford might have shot itself in the foot by overpricing the MT diesel versions and hence have no room left for the diesel AT. Imagine paying over 14L+ (BLR OTR) for the diesel AT. Oh Ford, what a waste of opportunity!
Old 15th November 2011, 19:40   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
We'll reach this tipping point only once the mindset of "automatics are less efficient than manuals" is broken.
Or, more realistically, when there are more diesel ATs in the <10 lakh car segment. The only way forward for automatics to penetrate deeper into the mass market is via greater choice amongst diesel hatchbacks & sedans.

Quote:
50-75k + discounts are happening now, but a lot of the damage is already done.
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I wish Ford could get this DCT in its Diesel powered Fiesta
The main reason there is no diesel DCT is that, Ford doesn't globally sell one with this engine. The expected volumes in India didn't make it feasible to develop a DCT for the engine we get here. I guess the Focus has a DCT diesel, but that's with a 2.0L diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_power View Post

Good observation Diesel Power. It's just us and our amateur photoshop skills at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
but introduction of DCT in the new Fiesta could probably make the competitors to think of getting DCT/DSG in their offerings in this segment – say VW Vento, Skoda Rapid etc.
There you go! Manufacturers who bring in such technologies raise the bar for the others. It only took one manufacturer to launch an ABS hatchback before others followed. Full marks to Ford for bringing in a dual clutch gearbox in this segment of cars, and equally important, the electronic stability program too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Also what after 10 years - The poor soul who has to replace the box (sealed box normally implies replacement at the end of the period? like in a sealed battery?). the cost of the relacement box after 10 years could closely match the possible 1.5L market price of the whole car then.
Valid point, ACM. Thanks for bringing it up.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 20:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that great review GTO! It was really detailed and explained everything about this technologically advanced DCT from Ford. Kudos to Ford for loading the Fiesta with high-tech gadgetry and features. They are trying their very best to position the Fiesta as a truly premium product in the C segment. But, they are missing a trick or two here.

Just like Tata did with the Aria, they have positioned the Fiesta in a higher price bracket than what it should have been and it is really going to hurt them badly. If Ford has taken a conscious decision and are content with the current volumes of the car, then it is acceptable. But I doubt that is the case here. Also, they should have really bought the DCT with the diesel engine. That would have been a deadly combination and coupled with the car's segment-best handling, would have made the Fiesta "the best" car in its segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks