Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 20:55   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
The ford India website now lists both AT variants. The new ones are "Style AT" & "Titanium+ AT". Ford India Private Limited - cars/new-fiesta/models

EDIT: Looks like Style and Style AT are not same as far as the spec goes.

There are no airbags in the Style AT variant. However, Auto A/C has been added.
I think the website is still a work in progress. Too many mistakes in the specifications sheet. See a snapshot below :-)

Ford Fiesta (Automatic) : Test Drive & Review-fiesta.jpg
Reference: Ford India Private Limited - New Fiesta Specification Data
Old 28th February 2012, 23:50   #92
BHPian

I was trying to figure out from the official site the feature difference between Style AT and Titanium + AT and I hope these are the only ones. For these features, the price difference between the two variants are 70k.

Titanium + AT: Ford India Private Limited - The All-New Fiesta 1.5 TiVCT Petrol Titanium+ AT
Style AT: Ford India Private Limited - The All-New Fiesta 1.5 TiVCT Petrol Style AT

Name:  Fiesta AT compare.png
Views: 7610
Size:  16.6 KB
Old 1st March 2012, 14:45   #93
BHPian

Just back from visiting Metro Ford - Bangalore. I fully agree with the above post highlighting the differences. The cost difference is between 70-80K (Style Vs Titanium+). The Style also comes with the display unit, but its limited in functionality. The voice commands worked very well though. The car is not yet available for display or TD. We may have to wait for about a week.

The notes he had written indicated a price of 9.11 Ex-Showroom for Style Vs 9.83 for Titanium+(Bangalore prices).

I also agree with one of the posters above in wishing Ford trains their salespeople properly. The one with whom I interacted, was wrong on all questions regarding Fiesta's dimensions. He proudly mentioned that Fiesta was lengthier than Honda City and Verna...in addition to other goofs. He was helpful nevertheless.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:09   #94
BHPian

This car seems to be losing the buzz, considering no update on this thread for 3 weeks.

Well, had been wanting to test-drive the Fiesta AT ever since its launch, and as luck would have it, had some time to kill today. Was in the vicinity of Wasan Motors at Marine Lines. Called them up to check for availability of AT Fiesta for a test drive.

Was disappointed when the receptionist told me that they did not have the AT for test-drive. Fortunately, she forwarded the call to a sales rep, and they mentioned that the AT was available for test-drive. It had just arrived from their other show-room. Quickly drove over. I am going to limit my feed-back to the driving impressions of the AT only.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 10 Km test-drive through choco-bloc traffic and also traffic-free Marine Drive.

The AT does not have pre-fixed RPMs at which the gears change. Its totally dependent on driving style. If you drive with a light foot, gears change at lower RPMs. If you floor the throttle, gears change at higher RPMs.

If you suddenly floor the throttle, the car down-shifts immediately and you feel the acceleration immediately.

The L mode is useful (in the city) when driving in bumper to bumper traffic, when you want to trail the car in front with minimum gap to cross a traffic light, as you want the engine braking as soon as you release the throttle.

Shifting from L to D and D to L can be done while moving, so thats cool.

In D-mode, when you release throttle, car coasts and some members have said that it un-nerved them. My take on this is that in most situations this is fine. When engine braking is desired, the hill assist feature can be switched on.

Didn't feel the need for paddle shifts.

Overall impression, very fun to drive. Would definitely go for this if I can afford this. BTW, the only other AT car that I have driven is the Honda City

A few issues:

The markings P-R-N-D-L are on the left side of the lever and therefore not visible to driver. Driver can see the mode on the small display in the dash. I guess this is due to carry-over from LHD version.

There is no indicator that cruise control is switched on. Atleast a light on the instrument console would have helped.

The MID in the instrument panel is very small as compared to other cars.The display panel in the centre could have been put to better use by moving some MID options there. Or perhaps the sales person failed to explain this properly.

Discounts and delivery: Was told AT delivery could take 3-6 weeks depending on choice of colour, and No discounts. Is this true? The top end AT on road Mumbai is nearly 11.8L
risga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:35   #95
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for the test report. I have been thinking of test driving the AT and see how different it is when compared to my 1.5L Titanium Plus. I guess i will do it in April.

A few observations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed the 10 Km test-drive through choco-bloc traffic and also traffic-free Marine Drive.
You bet. The AT is much more comfortable in a bumper to bumper traffic. Drive is a lot less tiring.

Quote:
The AT does not have pre-fixed RPMs at which the gears change. Its totally dependent on driving style. If you drive with a light foot, gears change at lower RPMs. If you floor the throttle, gears change at higher RPMs.
This is how any AT is designed. AFAIK, there gears do not change at any pre-fixed rpms.

Quote:
The L mode is useful (in the city) when driving in bumper to bumper traffic, when you want to trail the car in front with minimum gap to cross a traffic light, as you want the engine braking as soon as you release the throttle.
The L mode need not be used at all. This mode locks the transmission in first gear only. I am not sure how it is in the New Fiesta, but in older vehicles, it will not change to any other gear. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of first gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage. This can be used during the winter season, for towing, or for downhill driving to increase the engine braking effect.

Quote:
There is no indicator that cruise control is switched on. Atleast a light on the instrument console would have helped.
There is certainly a light in the instrument panel that glows when the cruise control is switched on. At least this is true in my Titanium Plus. It is the small green light with a symbol of a odometer..
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:14   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The L mode need not be used at all. This mode locks the transmission in first gear only. I am not sure how it is in the New Fiesta, but in older vehicles, it will not change to any other gear. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of first gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage. This can be used during the winter season, for towing, or for downhill driving to increase the engine braking effect.
MAS, below is the summary mentioned by GTO in the first page of this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Engaging the "L" gearbox mode makes the ECU choose the lowest possible gear for that speed. In L mode, the gearbox will usually upshift only at the redline.

For complete information on the different drive modes, you can refer to this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2578686
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:15   #97
Senior - BHPian

BTW, the ACI report on Fiesta Automatic is out (actually a comparison with Honda City AT) and it turns out that Fiesta is not all that efficient compared to City but it is very close to the manual conterpart.

Fiesta AT
0-100 kmph=13.8 secs (MT=12.8)
City FE=10.3 kmpl (MT=10.8)
Highway FE=15.2 kmpl (MT=16.2)

Honda City AT
0-100 kmph=12.76 secs
City FE=9.5 kmpl
Highway FE=15.5 kmpl
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:08   #98
BANNED

@Guna; It is normal for Honda to have class leading FE. In fact my Civic AT is now giving me comparable/better figures that my earlier Accent 1.5MT.

The very fact that the gear changes means that the CVT has some internal selection and the rubber-banding should not be that bad.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The very fact that the gear changes means that the CVT has some internal selection and the rubber-banding should not be that bad.
@sgiitk, current generation City AT is not a CVT. Combination of iDSI engine and CVT gave the previous generation City automatic a very good FE
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:56   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
BTW, the ACI report on Fiesta Automatic is out (actually a comparison with Honda City AT) and it turns out that Fiesta is not all that efficient compared to City but it is very close to the manual conterpart.

Fiesta AT
0-100 kmph=13.8 secs (MT=12.8)
City FE=10.3 kmpl (MT=10.8)
Highway FE=15.2 kmpl (MT=16.2)

Honda City AT
0-100 kmph=12.76 secs
City FE=9.5 kmpl
Highway FE=15.5 kmpl
Not all that efficient? Going by the figures you just posted the Fiesta is actually better. FE of the fiesta AT in city conditions is 10% better than the Honda and highway efficiency is almost the same (difference of 0.3kmpl).

Unless your figures are swapped the Fiesta seems to be more efficient than the Honda City.
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:25   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not all that efficient? Going by the figures you just posted the Fiesta is actually better. FE of the fiesta AT in city conditions is 10% better than the Honda and highway efficiency is almost the same (difference of 0.3kmpl).

Unless your figures are swapped the Fiesta seems to be more efficient than the Honda City.
Overall FE of Fiesta @ 12.75 kmpl is technically better then Honda City (@12.5 kmpl) but being a dual clutch type I expected (even Ford has been boasting big time on the FE) it to be substantially better then a traditional AT.
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:59   #102
Senior - BHPian

Yes - somehow I was also expecting higher figures going by the hype created about it - the dual clutch - dry friction material and so on. I would have thought it to be in the region of 11 or 12 in town.
Nevertheless I intend test driving it.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:09   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Overall FE of Fiesta @ 12.75 kmpl is technically better then Honda City (@12.5 kmpl) but being a dual clutch type I expected (even Ford has been boasting big time on the FE) it to be substantially better then a traditional AT.
Yeah true but the dual clutch will not boost the FE of an engine that is inherently not efficient.

The Honda has an efficient engine but an okay gearbox whereas the Ford has an okay engine with an efficient gearbox.

So it's no surprise that FE is similar to the City.

ps: I'm sure the kerb weight of the Fiesta AT is also more than that of the City.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:10   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Guna; It is normal for Honda to have class leading FE. In fact my Civic AT is now giving me comparable/better figures that my earlier Accent 1.5MT.

^^ The AT in the Civic isn't a CVT transmission. It's a regular 5-speed torque-converter(?), as far as I know.

The new Fiesta's auto 'box is a more modern dual-clutch setup. It's a step ahead of the transmissions employed in Honda cars.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2012 at 14:24.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:12   #105
BANNED

Quote:
@sgiitk, current generation City AT is not a CVT. Combination of iDSI engine and CVT gave the previous generation City automatic a very good FE
I know that City Mk.II had a CVT. Mk.III has the same AT as the Civic! See the text highlighted below.

I am talking about the Fiesta AT here. The fact that theer are downshifts shows that there are some shift points also defined, i.e. and improved CVT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post

If you suddenly floor the throttle, the car down-shifts immediately and you feel the acceleration immediately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks